What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's book about a bug who learns about trees [s]

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Green | 7 comments Ok. I am looking for a book from about 1979-ish. I was in about grade two. It's a kids picture book about a little black bug (beetle?) who learns about different kinds of trees(plants?). The illustrations were pretty simple with lots of color. I remember one page in particular, the bug learns about beech wood trees. I remember that page the clearest because a while after I read it, we learned we were moving from southern Alberta to the West Coast of Canada. My Dad said there would be lots of beaches here and I was excited because I would see "beach" trees. Lol. My only other memory is that I think there was a page about a weeping willow, too.

message 2: by Kris (last edited Jul 03, 2016 09:54AM) (new)

Kris | 36034 comments Mod
Tracy, were the illustrations realistic (e.g., www.amazon.com/Junior-Science-Trees-R... (1960)) or cartoon-like?

message 3: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Green | 7 comments Cartoon-like.

message 4: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Green | 7 comments And I think the colors were pretty bright...to appeal to the younger readers.

message 5: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1222 comments It sounds a lot like Blue Bug Finds a Friend by Virginia Poulet - each page is the blue bug searching a different tree until he finds his friend and the book ends with a two-page spread with all the trees. The trouble is I read the whole book on openlibrary.org and, while there is a weeping willow and a birch tree, there is no beech tree.

message 6: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Green | 7 comments This may be it!! I have checked as much as I can online, I guess now I will have to order a copy and read it to see if it pops anymore memories! Thank you so much...this has been driving me nuts for months. I will post back once I know for sure that this is it. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

message 7: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Green | 7 comments Just found it online...THAT"S IT! Thanks so much! Now I know that I wasn't totally hallucinating, lol.

message 8: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Green | 7 comments I must be confusing two books in my memory- I was so sure there was a beech tree. But as soon as I saw the illustrations, that little blue bug is 100% right! I will continue to try and remember where I saw beech trees the first time.

message 9: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1222 comments I'm glad it was the right one :-D

message 10: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Green | 7 comments Thanks so much! My daughter read it online with me and had to laugh. I have been on this quest for months and she was starting to think I was imagining it all. Thank you again!

message 11: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1222 comments That's great! I had a search on here for so long my husband told me he thought I dreamed that book, but I found it eventually. I love this group!