Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > Proposed Schedule for Broken Empire and Red Queen's War

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eli (new)

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) | 77 comments There has been a lot of interest in these series by Mark Lawrence, so I thought we should start a buddy read/discussion for them.

The Broken Empire
Prince of Thorns
King of Thorns
Emperor of Thorns

The Red Queen's War
Prince of Fools
The Liar's Key
The Wheel of Osheim

I have already read the Broken Empire series and the first book of The Red Queen's War. So I would be interested in a buddy read of The Liar's Key and The Wheel of Osheim, but I will also be happy to discuss any of the others!

Who is interested and what have you read of the series so far, if any?

Tracey the Lizard Queen | 117 comments I've just started The Wheel of Osheim today. Jal is up to his usual tricks!

message 3: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
I've read Prince of Thorns and really liked it but haven't gotten back to the series yet. I'd do both series.

message 4: by Kieron (new)

Kieron I've only read Prince Of Thorns, so would be up for reading King Of Thorns in the near future.

message 5: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
I'd be interested in the Liar's Key, but I might have to wait until later this month or August.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments I've read prince of thorns and Ian about half way through king of thorns so I would do emperor. After that I will be going back to finish the black company. I have the second book shadows linger just barely started

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1767 comments I've read Prince of Thorns. I liked it well enough to want to continue someday, but wasn't overwhelmed. I keep hearing so many good things about these, so I'm looking to start back up eventually. Thing is, I don't remember Prince very well....

So might do a reread of it.

message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma | 12 comments The wheel of Osheim is the only one I haven't read, so when you get there I will definitely join in

message 9: by Eli (new)

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) | 77 comments I think I will go ahead and start The Liar's Key soon, and then move on to The Wheel of Osheim straight after that.

message 10: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Eli wrote: "I think I will go ahead and start The Liar's Key soon, and then move on to The Wheel of Osheim straight after that."

Enjoy it! I think the problem is that everyone is at a different stage with the two series and even though I am ready for The Liar's Key, I have a billion other things to read.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Ian just finishing the king of thorns and I have to say its at least as good as prince if not better. Jorgs character is more thoroughly explored

message 12: by Eli (new)

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) | 77 comments Jenna wrote: "Enjoy it! I think the problem is that everyone is at a different stage with the two series and even though I am ready for The Liar's Key, I have a billion other things to read. "

Yes, I sensed this problem as well. And I am just a little too excited to move on to wait for people to catch up or find time. But I am still ready to discuss any of the books even if we don't do a regular buddy read for them.

message 13: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Eli wrote: "Jenna wrote: "Enjoy it! I think the problem is that everyone is at a different stage with the two series and even though I am ready for The Liar's Key, I have a billion other things to read. "

Yes..."

For any book you have read and still want to discuss, even if you are not currently reading it, you can go ahead and make a discussion post for it.

message 14: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Jul 20, 2016 02:07PM) (new)

Angela | 3586 comments Mod
I've read The Broken Empires series. I really enjoyed it and thought the ending was perfect for Jorg.

I'll be keen to read Prince of Fools, but not until after September if possible if anyone wants to buddy read.

message 15: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Angela wrote: "I've read The Broken Empires series. I really enjoyed it and thought the ending was perfect for Jorg.

I'll be keen to read Prince of Fools, but not until after September if possible if anyone want..."

I've read Prince of Fools, but I would like to read The Liar's Key when you get to it.

message 16: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Jul 20, 2016 02:25PM) (new)

Angela | 3586 comments Mod
Will do Jenna. I'll start a thread when I get to the book.

message 17: by Seán (new)

Seán | 602 comments I've ordered the initial trilogy so will be starting that in the next couple of weeks. So if there's anyone else going from the start, I'll be there!

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments are the trilogies connected? Do I have to read the Broken Empire and only then The Red Queen's War? Or the order is irrelevant?

message 19: by TS (new)

TS Chan (tschan) | 159 comments The order is not exactly relevant. But a few things to note. As the Broken Empire was written first, you will come across references to its main character in the Red Queen's War and even a meeting or two.

I think to appreciate the references, it's best to either:

(1) Finish Broken Empire before Red Queen's War; or

(2) Read Prince of Thorns then Prince of Fools; King of Thorns then The Liar's Key and The Wheel of Osheim; then Emperor of Thorns.

The timeline in The Broken Empire stretches over many more years than Red Queen's War.

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments ok. I got it now. Thank you. In that case I think i will read the Broken Empire first and then go on to the second trilogy.