The Challenge Factory discussion

The First Four Years  (Little House, #9)
This topic is about The First Four Years
2016 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Trea, Erica, & Cindy - Little House Series

Comments Showing 1-50 of 146 (146 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 2: by ⚜️XAR, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️XAR the Bookwyrm (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
We're starting this tomorrow!

message 3: by Erica, Quality Control Supervisor (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erica | 1001 comments Mod
Yay!

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (wanna_read_all_the_books) | 128 comments I haven't read these since I was in elementary school so I'm really looking forward to revisiting them!

message 5: by ⚜️XAR, Operations Manager (new)

Erica, Cindy and I have been talking via PM, and we're planning on doing two books a month if that works for you?

message 6: by ⚜️XAR, Operations Manager (new)

Cindy wrote: "I haven't read these since I was in elementary school so I'm really looking forward to revisiting them!"

Same thing goes for me...I'm 37, so it has been a long while for me!

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (wanna_read_all_the_books) | 128 comments Trea wrote: "Cindy wrote: "I haven't read these since I was in elementary school so I'm really looking forward to revisiting them!"

Same thing goes for me...I'm 37, so it has been a long while for me!"

I just turned 40 yesterday so I totally understand! lol

message 8: by ⚜️XAR, Operations Manager (new)

Cindy wrote: "I just turned 40 yesterday so I totally understand! lol"

Happy Belated Birthday!

message 9: by ⚜️XAR, Operations Manager (new)

How is everyone coming with this? I just started it, so am not too far into it currently.

message 10: by Erica, Quality Control Supervisor (new) - rated it 3 stars

Frantically trying to lay a few others to rest so I can get started. I read the first and third recently (the collector's set I bought had Farmer Boy second for whatever reason), but I will re-read for this challenge...

message 11: by ⚜️XAR, Operations Manager (new)

Erica wrote: "Frantically trying to lay a few others to rest so I can get started. I read the first and third recently (the collector's set I bought had Farmer Boy second for whatever reason), but I will re-read..."

I made it to the start of Chapter 4 last night...I had another buddy read that was supposed to start yesterday too, but I didn't get as far in that book.

I liked reading about how they lived back then, even from a child's point of view. I think I glossed over that when I was younger. And holding my old book in my hands was a very nostalgic feeling!

message 12: by Erica, Quality Control Supervisor (last edited Dec 24, 2016 03:52PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Okay, I figured out how to find this thread finally - phew!

Hoping to start this challenge today... a luxurious day of reading and not much else.

Done: 9/9 (11?)
July - Little House in the Big Woods  ♥♥♥♥ (7/4 - 7/6)
July - Little House on the Prairie  ♥♥♥♥ (7/17 - 7/22)
August - Farmer Boy  ♥♥♥♥ (8/1 - 8/5)
August - On the Banks of Plum Creek   ♥♥♥♥ (8/12 - 8/14)
September - By the Shores of Silver Lake  ♥♥♥♥ (9/11 - 9/16)
October - The Long Winter   ♥♥♥♥ (10/20 - 10/22)
November - Little Town on the Prairie   ♥♥♥♥ (11/1 - 11/5)
November - These Happy Golden Years  ♥♥♥♥ (11/11 - 11/12)
January - The First Four Years   ♥♥♥ (12/23 - 12/24)
?? February - On the Way Home: The Diary of a Trip from South Dakota to Mansfield, Missouri, in 1894
?? March - West from Home: Letters of Laura Ingalls Wilder, San Francisco, 1915

message 13: by ⚜️XAR, Operations Manager (new)

I've been reading 3 chapters a day, as I had a buddy read that started Saturday and one that starts today. It's worked out well for me so far and I should finish it tomorrow.

I'm leaning toward reading the second book in the latter half of the month, around the 20th or so, if that works for everyone.

message 14: by Erica, Quality Control Supervisor (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fine with me. Hoping to start today!

message 15: by Erica, Quality Control Supervisor (new) - rated it 3 stars

I made it through the first three chapters of Little House in the Big Woods this afternoon. It never ceases to amaze me how incredibly skilled people had to be in the 1800's just to stay alive. And how hard they worked ALL the time. Children too - they had to contribute as soon as they were able so that the whole family could accomplish the work needed to lay in sufficient stores to survive each winter.

message 16: by ⚜️XAR, Operations Manager (new)

I finished it this morning. I loved how detailed it was about how life was lived back then! I also enjoyed seeing how it went over a full year of life back then. It was a very good read for me!

message 17: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (wanna_read_all_the_books) | 128 comments I read LHBW Sunday and loved it! I really loved the descriptions of how they did things. Like when she told about smoking the meat and making the syrup and sugar. And how they put everything up for the winter. It made me a little sentimental for simpler times.

I'm requesting LHP from the library tonight so hopefully I'll have it in the next week.

message 18: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (wanna_read_all_the_books) | 128 comments Erica wrote: "I made it through the first three chapters of Little House in the Big Woods this afternoon. It never ceases to amaze me how incredibly skilled people had to be in the 1800's just to stay alive. And..."

I love that the kid's contributed but they still had time to play. I really liked how they made tea cups and saucers with acorn shells to play with in their play houses under the trees. And I liked it when Laura and Mary wanted to play "town" but they couldn't because they didn't know what town was like!

message 19: by Cindy (last edited Nov 28, 2016 11:32AM) (new)

Cindy (wanna_read_all_the_books) | 128 comments Progress: 2/9

July
01. Little House in the Big Woods [07/03]
02. Little House on the Prairie [07/26]

August
03. Farmer Boy [10/17]
04. On the Banks of Plum Creek [10/18]

September
05. By the Shores of Silver Lake [10/19]
06. The Long Winter [10/28]

October
07. Little Town on the Prairie [11/27]
08. These Happy Golden Years

November
09. The First Four Years

message 20: by Erica, Quality Control Supervisor (last edited Jul 06, 2016 11:59AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Looks like I need to finish up the first book!! I read it last year but figure I would just re-read for this challenge. I forgot about the part where they tried to play "Town" but didn't know what one was like. Too funny!

message 21: by Erica, Quality Control Supervisor (last edited Jul 06, 2016 11:58AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nearly done with LHBW. Last night I was amused to read again about Laura's jealousy of Mary. I forgot how much she HATED her ugly brown hair! And I was charmed at the children's appreciation of their few Christmas presents - new mittens, a piece of candy and a rag doll for Laura. Times were certainly simpler then.

I hope we stay with just 2 books a month. They read quickly, but I have significant commitments to some other challenges that I want to keep up with too...

message 22: by Erica, Quality Control Supervisor (new) - rated it 3 stars

Finished LHBW last night. So wonderful. Taking a week or so until I start the next one.

message 23: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin | 320 comments No Pioneer Girl? It's on my list to read, but it's gonna take awhile since it's basically a textbook :-P
I've read all the other books several times already :-)

message 24: by Erica, Quality Control Supervisor (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm not familiar with that one...

message 25: by Erin (last edited Jul 07, 2016 05:50AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin | 320 comments It's the annotated autobiography published in 2014.
Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography
Pioneer Girl The Annotated Autobiography by Laura Ingalls Wilder

message 26: by ⚜️XAR, Operations Manager (last edited Jul 07, 2016 06:41AM) (new)

Erin wrote: "No Pioneer Girl? It's on my list to read, but it's gonna take awhile since it's basically a textbook :-P
I've read all the other books several times already :-)"

I think Mod Denise just went with what was listed as Little House Series (If you click on the Grey Words in parenthesis after each title, it takes you to the series page and what is considered by Goodreads part of the series.), and didn't consider any other books.

Frankly, I wasn't considering books 10 and 11 part of the series, and after finding out that they're biographies more so than anything else, I really don't want to read them! I think I'll just stop with book 9 in November.

message 27: by Erica, Quality Control Supervisor (last edited Jul 07, 2016 10:37AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm good with that. I really just wanted to read the original series myself... So we're stopping with The First Four Years in November, right? Frankly, that also helps me because the rest of my reading load is pretty good. Not like some others but plenty for me!

message 28: by ⚜️XAR, Operations Manager (new)

Erica wrote: "I'm good with that. I really just wanted to read the original series myself... So we're stopping with The First Four Years in November, right? Frankly, that also helps me because the rest of my rea..."

Yeah, that's where I plan to stop, but you each are welcome to continue with them if you wish and post about it here. I'll plan to keep this in my Buddy Read Sign Up post through December in either case.

message 29: by Erica, Quality Control Supervisor (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm going to see where I am with all of my other reading commitments when I get the first 9 done. If there's time and I'm motivated, I may still read them. We'll see.

message 30: by ⚜️XAR, Operations Manager (new)

Hey, Cindy? You up for starting our BR of Little House on the Prairie a little early? Erica and I have been PMing about Dusty Bookshelf and she mentioned she could get to this in a bit, and since I've only got one book going currently, I can jump in with the first few chapters as well.

message 31: by Erica, Quality Control Supervisor (new) - rated it 3 stars

Okay, these are just addictive. Started LHP today and I can't put it down!! I am struck by the immense courage of Laura's parents to strike out for the unknown west, far from family.

message 32: by ⚜️XAR, Operations Manager (new)

Erica wrote: "Okay, these are just addictive. Started LHP today and I can't put it down!! I am struck by the immense courage of Laura's parents to strike out for the unknown west, far from family."

I totally agree with you! I read the first 5 chapters this morning, and Caroline's courage in the "creek" was just amazing!

message 33: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (wanna_read_all_the_books) | 128 comments Trea wrote: "Hey, Cindy? You up for starting our BR of Little House on the Prairie a little early? Erica and I have been PMing about Dusty Bookshelf and she mentioned she could get to this in a bit, and since I..."

Yes, I'm getting it from the library this week so we can start whenever ya'll are ready. And I agree to stopping after book 9 as well.

message 34: by Erica, Quality Control Supervisor (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm through the first seven chapters. Started this morning and just couldn't stop myself!

message 35: by ⚜️XAR, Operations Manager (new)

Cindy wrote: "Trea wrote: "Hey, Cindy? You up for starting our BR of Little House on the Prairie a little early? Erica and I have been PMing about Dusty Bookshelf and she mentioned she could get to this in a bit..."

Cool, grab it and run, girl!

message 36: by Erica, Quality Control Supervisor (new) - rated it 3 stars

One more thing that amazes me is that Laura is able to describe in such minute detail what her Ma and Pa did to make things - 60+ years after the fact!!

message 37: by ⚜️XAR, Operations Manager (new)

I finished this one earlier today. I remember wondering about this when I was a child, and it still makes no sense to me today. Why did the Ingalls family leave so quickly when they learned that they were 3 miles over "the line". Why wouldn't they wait and see how long it took the soldiers to get to them, perhaps harvest the food they had planted? It didn't sit well with me.

message 38: by Erica, Quality Control Supervisor (new) - rated it 3 stars

I just finished myself, and have been thinking about your comment Trea. It occurs to me that a few things could be part of the Ingalls' decision to leave so quickly:
- Ma and Pa are clearly very orderly people who do everything "just so." The thought of being unceremoniously shagged off their property by soldiers whose arrival could be at any time may have been incomprehensible to them.
- It was fairly early in the spring, and since their wagon could only hold a limited amount of reserve supplies it was essential to move on to the next location quickly to give them enough time to prepare for the next winter.
- They had just witnessed the departure of the Osage Indians, who had protected them. There was no guarantee that the other tribes who had wanted to kill them would not return.
- Possibly Laura's memory (or reporting) of the event is dramatized a bit. Maybe Ma and Pa had a bit more warning that the territorial boundaries might be an issue, and had been discussing the matter for more than a half day before they made their plan.

I enjoyed this one, but felt a lot of insecurity for their well-being throughout the book. I can't imagine living in such circumstances with precious few neighbors around for help if it was needed.

message 39: by ⚜️XAR, Operations Manager (new)

Erica wrote: "I just finished myself, and have been thinking about your comment Trea. It occurs to me that a few things could be part of the Ingalls' decision to leave so quickly:
- Ma and Pa are clearly very o..."

You made quite a few good points here, and I hadn't thought of any of them!

I see your point about their well-being...case in point was the Fever'n'Ague chapter! They had malaria and were dying and it was only sheer luck that they all survived!

message 40: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (wanna_read_all_the_books) | 128 comments Definitely good points, Erica. I was thinking myself last night as I was reading that it's possible of course that Laura's recollection or reporting could be dramatized a bit. And the point about leaving early early in the spring so that they could get to their next location with enough time to set up ample stores for the winter was on my mind too.

I think about the everyday noises that come with living in a neighborhood. Things that fade into the background for us. Dogs barking, lawn mowers, kids playing, car doors closing, and a hundred other sounds that come with living surrounded by other people. I know that if there was an emergency I could count on my next-door neighbor. I can't imagine them not being there. Even if they like to party a little loudly on the weekends. lol

message 41: by ⚜️XAR, Operations Manager (new)

When would we like to start this? I've got a Buddy Read starting right on the 1st, but I could start this at the same time, since I break it up into chapter bites.

message 42: by Erica, Quality Control Supervisor (new) - rated it 3 stars

I was waiting until August but could start as soon as I finish 12 Years a Slave (which is excellent, by the way).

message 43: by ⚜️XAR, Operations Manager (new)

Erica wrote: "I was waiting until August but could start as soon as I finish 12 Years a Slave (which is excellent, by the way)."

I've got a few books left on my list for July, so I'm probably not going to be able to start this much before July 30th or so.

message 44: by Erica, Quality Control Supervisor (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'll just plan to start on the 1st then. PLENTY to do around here...

message 45: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (wanna_read_all_the_books) | 128 comments The 1st sounds good to me too; I'll go ahead a request it from the library tonight. For the second Aug book, I'm out of the country on a mission trip the 20th through the 27th.

message 46: by Erica, Quality Control Supervisor (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cindy wrote: "The 1st sounds good to me too; I'll go ahead a request it from the library tonight. For the second Aug book, I'm out of the country on a mission trip the 20th through the 27th."

Ooh, exciting! Where are you going??

message 47: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (wanna_read_all_the_books) | 128 comments To Jamaica. We're going to work in an orphanage there. Half of the group is doing repairs to the building and the other half of us get to love on the kids and teach vacation bible school. Can't wait!

message 48: by Erica, Quality Control Supervisor (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nice!!

message 49: by ⚜️XAR, Operations Manager (new)

Cindy wrote: "The 1st sounds good to me too; I'll go ahead a request it from the library tonight. For the second Aug book, I'm out of the country on a mission trip the 20th through the 27th."

Cindy, would starting On the Banks of Plum Creek on the 12th give you enough time before you leave to read it?

message 50: by ⚜️XAR, Operations Manager (new)

I've been plugging away at this one, but not enjoying it as much as Laura's stories. Almanzo's sisters are so vain, and it always seems to be the same with him, "I want to be older so I can do [blah]."! Comes across a bit whiny.

« previous 1 3