Mount TBR 2016 discussion

Mount TBR Checkpoints > Mountaineering Checkpoint #2

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bev (new)

Bev | 715 comments Mod
The year is half-way over....Wait! How did that happen so quickly? I must have lost track of time just concentrating on the mountain trail ahead of me. But--it's that time again. Your mountaineering guide is calling for a second quarterly check-in post. Let us know how your climb has been so far. Seen any mountain goats? Any particularly pretty wildflowers? How about the abominable snowman? For those who would like to participate in this checkpoint post, I'd like you to do two things:

1. Tell us how many miles you've made it up your mountain (# of books read). If you're really ambitious, you can do some intricate math and figure out how the number of books you've read correlates to actual miles up Pike's Peak, Mt. Ararat, etc. And feel free to tell us about any particularly exciting adventures you've had along the way.

I'm a little over half-way up Everest (my official goal) and not quite half-way up Olympus (my hoped-for final destination). I got distracted by a couple herds of mountain goats and that's slowed me up a bit. I still hope to finally plant my flag on Olympus this year.

2. Complete ONE (or more if you like) of the following:
A. Choose two titles from the books you've read so far that have a common link. You decide what the link is--both have strong female lead characters? Each focuses on a diabolical plot to take over the world? Blue covers? About weddings? Find your link and tell us what it is.

The Litmore Snatch by Henry Wade and Good Blood by Aaron Elkins--both of these mysteries focus on kidnapping rather than murder. There is a murder in the Elkins book--but a great deal of the detective work is aimed at getting to the bottom of the kidnapping.

B. Tell us about a book on the list that was new to you in some way--new author, about a place you've never been, a genre you don't usually read...etc.

House of Darkness by Allan MacKinnon was a brand-new author for me. And it was a delightful surprise. One of the best mysteries I've read this year.

C. Which book (read so far) has been on your TBR mountain the longest? Was it worth the wait? Or is it possible you should have tackled it back when you first put it on the pile? Or tossed it off the edge without reading it all?

I've read several that have been on the TBR stacks since at least 2011 (no precise dating for some reason). I'm going to go with A Lesson in Secrets by Jacqueline Winspear. I started reading the Maisie Dobbs series when it first came out and then got distracted by other books. It was nice to return to the series and see what Maisie was up to.

OR (Counts as both part 1 and 2)

Use titles from your list to complete as many of the following sentences below as you can. If you haven't read enough books to give you good choices, then feel free to use any books yet to be read from your piles. I've given my answers as examples. Feel free to add or change words (such as "a" or "the" or others that clarify) as needed.

My Life According to Books
1. My Ex is/was The Platypus of Doom & Other Nihilists (by Arthur Byron Cove)
2. My best friend is The Girl in the Cellar (by Patricia Wentworth)
3. Lately, at work [I've had to deal] Gently with the Painters (by Alan Hunter)
4. If I won the lottery, I'd [be] The Fifth Passenger (by Edward Young) on a cruise.
5. My fashion sense [says to choose] The Black Rustle (by Constance & Gwenyth Little)
6. My next ride [will take me on a] Hunt with the Hounds (by Mignon G. Eberhart)
7. The one I love is [behind] The Painted Veil (by W. Somerset Maugham)
8. If I ruled the world, everyone would [join] The Philomel Foundation (by James Golli)
9. When I look out my window, I see [that] The Eagle Has Landed (by Jack Higgins)
10. The best things in life are [left to my] Imagination Unlimited (edited by Everett F. Bleiler & T. E. Dikty)

And what do you get for all that hard work (and distraction from the actual climb)? Comments will close at 11:59 pm on Sunday, June 10. Then on Monday, June 11, I will crank up the Custom Random Number Generator and pick a winning climber. He or she will have the chance to add to their TBR stack via my gently-used book vault (prize list will be sent). Just think, if you win a book you can start up a pile for next year's Mount TBR Challenge.

Even if you're not in the mood for a prize or if you've only got one leg of the journey under your belt, I'd love to have you check in and tell us how your climb is going!

***Please note--comments are for Checkpoint posts only. If you would like to cheer fellow climbers on (and I encourage you to do so!), please visit their climb folders. Comments that are not Checkpoint-specific will be removed--to make it easier for me to track a winner.

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna (annaholla) So my original goal was Pike's Peak -- but I powered up the slopes and hit the summit in early June, so I've hopped over to Mont Blanc. Working on book 13, but, my the flowers are pretty this time of year! I keep getting distracted by the views. Also, I'm not that into heights.

And now, a little My Life According to Books:
1. My Ex is The Ingenious Mr Pyke: Inventor, Fugitive, Spy
2. My best friend is Between the World and Me
3. Lately, at work [we're waiting for] Redeployment
4. If I won the lottery, I'd [live] The Sweet Life in Paris
5. My fashion sense [leans toward] Black and White and Dead All Over
6. My next ride [will end at] Station Eleven
7. The one I love is My Brilliant Friend
8. If I ruled the world, everyone would [be] Late for Work
9. When I look out my window, I see The Magician's Land
10. The best things in life are A Tale for the Time Being

message 3: by Brianna (last edited Jul 01, 2016 02:40PM) (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments 1. Tell us how many miles you've made it up your mountain (# of books read).
Well, I started this year with a goal to climb Mount Blanc (24 books) and I reached it! I am now aiming to climb up Mt. Ararat (48 books). So far, I am 25 books up the mountain, so just getting started on Mt. Ararat!

A. Choose two titles from the books you've read so far that have a common link.
Darkly Dreaming Dexter and Guy Langman, Crime Scene Procrastinator are both books that involve someone trying to solve a crime. One is adult and the other is from a young adult perspective.

OR (Counts as both part 1 and 2)

(These sentences may not be 100% true... lol I had fun with it! I stuck with what I've read on my climb.)

1. My ex is Darkly Dreaming Dexter
2. My best friend is Matilda
3. Lately, at work it's been All Unquiet Things
4. If I won the lottery, I'd be the Red Queen
5. My fashion sense is not like The Jewel
6. My next ride will be to the City of Bones
7. The one I love is Flirting in Italian
8. If I ruled the world, everyone would be Matched
9. When I look out my window, I see The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die
10. The best things in life are a Long Way Round

message 4: by Nell (last edited Jul 03, 2016 04:56AM) (new)

Nell Mountaineering Checkpoint #2

1. I've read 28 out of 36 books. I am 8,433 feet up Mount Vancouver - more than 2/3 of the climb. So far, this is my fastest climbing year though shiny new books are a constant temptation.

A. Common link: Several books have birds in the title. Two books name the same bird: The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah and The Nightingale Before Christmas by Donna Andrews. The novels are nothing alike: One is a historical novel set in occupied France during WWII; the other is a humorous contemporary mystery set during Christmas in a small college town.

B. One Small Step Can Change Your Life: The Kaizen Way by Robert Maurer talked about how small acts and questions can lead to big changes. It's how America won World War II. We taught this technique to the Japanese after the war then forgot it ourselves!

C. The Legend of the Slain Soldiers by Marcia Muller. I picked this up at a library sale 20 years ago! It was a good mystery but not spectacular. It's second in a series so I searched for and found book one then put both of them on the bottom shelf where they languished for years. Read both this year when a challenge prompted me to read the oldest books in my TBR.

1. My Ex was A Root Awakening
2. My best friend is Between the World and Me
3. Lately, at work Every Day Is for the Thief
4. If I won the lottery, I'd know that One Small Step Can Change Your Life
5. My fashion sense is Suede to Rest
6. My next ride is to The Handsome Man's Deluxe Café
7. The one I love is a Long Man
8. If I ruled the world, everyone would seek The Secret Wisdom of the Earth
9. When I look out my window, I see The Nightingale
10. The best thing in life is Ordinary Grace

message 5: by Roz (new)

Roz (irasobrietate) 1) I'm just shy of halfway up Mt. Olympus - 73 books finished so far. I've been particularly wrapped up in nonfiction lately (especially books on library science and conversion to Judaism, both of which I didn't really have books about) so I've been reading more library books than Mt. TBR books. Oops. I really need to plow through some books these next two months though because I start grad school in the fall and that's gonna cut into my TBR reading time.

2) A. common link: Among the Shadows: Tales from the Darker Side and The Ragwitch were both books I bought purely because I love the authors and so didn't actually much care what the book was about. Both of the books were also a bit of a departure from what I liked about the authors, though I enjoyed them both a lot as well.

B. The Avengers: A Jewish War Story was new to me because it was a book that focused on Jewish partisans in WWII who fought in the forests of Lithuania as well as the creation of Israel after the war. The vast majority of Jewish related WWII history that I've read focused on the concentration camps, so learning about another part of the story was very enlightening.

C. My Life According to Books
1. My Ex is/was Eaten Alive
2. My best friend is Anne d'Avonlea
3. Lately, at work [has been] The Nightmare Machine
4. If I won the lottery, I'd [explore the] Lost Worlds of South America
5. My fashion sense [models after] The Ragwitch
6. My next ride [is for] Sinners on The Other Wind
7. The one I love is [in] Vader's Fortress
8. If I ruled the world, everyone would [be on a] Planet of Twilight
9. When I look out my window, I see The Road to Balinor
10. The best things in life are Bread and Wine

message 6: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) I've had some setbacks these last months and that got me sidetracked...BUT, I'm back to climbing and I'm picking up speed. I don't think I'll reach the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro, but I'll get at least to Mt. Ararat, I hope. I've read 29 books out of 60, which is the equivalent of 2.897,59 m up my mountain! It's getting harder to breath here!

2A. Choose two titles from the books you've read so far that have a common link.
I choose "Can You Keep a Secret?" and "I've Got Your Number", both by Sophie Kinsella, as they were the first two books I've read from this author. Also, both female MC were very similar in ways, as in how they reacted to some situations, although their personalities are nothing alike.

B. Tell us about a book on the list that was new to you in some way--new author, about a place you've never been, a genre you don't usually read...etc.
I've got a lot of new authors in my TBR, but I chose "The Wrath and the Dawn", by Renee Ahdieh, one of the best books I've read this year, who only recently lost it's place as the best one for "A Court of Mist and Fury" by Sarah J. Maas. It's a retelling of a 1001 Nights with a mix of fantasy and romance. It's the author's debut novel, and I'm really impressed. If it's her debut, I can't wait to see what she'll do next!

C. Which book (read so far) has been on your TBR mountain the longest? Was it worth the wait? Or is it possible you should have tackled it back when you first put it on the pile? Or tossed it off the edge without reading it all?
That would be "Appointment With Death" by Agatha Christie. I've purchased it in late 2013, but it's on my TBR list since I first started to read Agatha Christie's books, because I always planned to read them all, and that was in 2002-2003. So, yeah, it's been a while.

1. My Ex is/was The Stranger (by Anna Banks)
2. My best friend is The Girl on the Train (by Paula Hawkins)
3. Lately, at work [we've been] Uncommon Criminals (by Ally Carter)
4. If I won the lottery, I'd [be]Happily Ever After (by Kiera Cass)
5. My fashion sense [always]Dare Me (Megan Abbott)
6. My next ride [will take me to my] Appointment With Death (by Agatha Christie)
7. The one I love is An Ember in the Ashes (by Sabaa Tahir)
8. If I ruled the world, everyone would [be] Soundless (by Richelle Mead)
9. When I look out my window, I see A Court of Thorns and Roses (by Sarah J Maas)
10. The best things in life are Their Fractured Light (by Amie Kaufman and Megan Spooner)

Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!} (raven_tiger) | 10 comments 1. Tell us how many miles you've made it up your mountain (# of books read). If you're really ambitious, you can do some intricate math and figure out how the number of books you've read correlates to actual miles up Pike's Peak, Mt. Ararat, etc. And feel free to tell us about any particularly exciting adventures you've had along the way.

My goal is to read 60 books and I completed it, and then moved up to El Toro and conquered that. I am now on Mt. Everest with 83 books.

Palomino by Danielle Steel was a new author for me. I was expecting more trashy romance than this book. I would read more of her stuff tho.

message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) 1. Tell us how many miles you've made it up your mountain:
I'm 32 books into Mt. Vancouver, that is rough 4283 meters. Only four more books and I can move on to the next mountain! I didn't expect to be that fast; seems I got some good training last year!

A. Choose two titles from the books you've read so far that have a common link: Both Geek Love by Katherine Dunn and Down Fall by Per Olov Enquist feature a freak show.
B. Tell us about a book on the list that was new to you in some way: There were many firsts on my hike this year! I pick Gay Berlin: Birthplace of a Modern Identity. which I requested late last year for review. This non fiction book taught me a lot about living in Berlin in the early 20th century as a gay man. It is an unusual read for me in many ways, but the subject struck me as interesting at first sight.
C. Which book (read so far) has been on your TBR mountain the longest?: The oldest tbr book I tackled for this hike is Der König der purpurnen Stadt by Rebecca Gablé. It is humongous (1024 pages), but I really enjoy the author's historical fiction, a genre I usually don't tend to like all that much. It was definitely not as good as her other work, but I totally could have picked this up earlier. I guess I was intimidated by its size.

Use titles from your list to complete as many of the following sentences below as you can:

1. My Ex is/was King of the Murgos
2. My best friend is Orlando
3. Lately, at work All My Friends are Superheroes
4. If I won the lottery, I'd [invest in] Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children
5. My fashion sense [is straight out of] Einstein's Dreams
6. My next ride [will be to] Andorra
7. The one I love is [definitely not related to] Kassandra
8. If I ruled the world, everyone would [receive] A Moveable Feast
9. When I look out my window, I see The Mists of Avalon
10. The best things in life are The Red and the Black

message 9: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) 1. I'm 38 books up Mt. Kilimanjaro, but El Toro is still in my sights if I hustle!

2C. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and Lost were both added the day I joined GR, but don't know which I had first. Extremely Loud was amazing, don't know why I waited so long to read it. Lost was horribly boring and is already banished from my house!

message 10: by Susan (last edited Jul 05, 2016 08:12AM) (new)

Susan | 23 comments 1. Tell us how many miles you've made it up your mountain (# of books read). I'm 22 books up Mt. Ararat. Not quite on track, but I should be able to make up the lost ground from being distracted by library books and ARCs.

C. Which book (read so far) has been on your TBR mountain the longest? Was it worth the wait? Or is it possible you should have tackled it back when you first put it on the pile? Or tossed it off the edge without reading it all? Madame Bovary and Wuthering Heights tied for this honor. We've have these books in our house since we attended college while the earth was still cooling. In fact, Wuthering Heights had lots of my husband's notes from a college literature course in it. Madame Bovary was worth the wait, and I think I would not have enjoyed I so much when I was younger. However, I wish that I had read Wuthering Heights before now as I viewed Heathcliff in the context of today's relationships and he seemed much more abusive and "stalkerish" that I would have labeled him if I had read this when I was a teeneager.

message 11: by Leslie (new)

Leslie 1. Tell us how many miles you've made it up your mountain (# of books read).
I am at 6924 feet up Mount Ararat with my print books, 26 of 48 done. If I include all types (not just print) then I have knocked 67 books off my TBR (though I have also acquired 67 new books so I am just keeping my head above water!)

2 B. Tell us about a book on the list that was new to you in some way--new author, about a place you've never been, a genre you don't usually read...etc.

And Quiet Flows the Don was by a new author for me, Russian Nobel Laureate Mikhail Sholokhov. It is about the Cossacks from about 1900 to the Russian Civil War (after the Revolution) so it was also about a topic that was new to me also.

2 C. Which book (read so far) has been on your TBR mountain the longest? Was it worth the wait? Or is it possible you should have tackled it back when you first put it on the pile? Or tossed it off the edge without reading it all?

The book I have owned the longest was Madame Bovary which I picked up in a second-hand shop over 15 years ago. I should have tossed it off the edge without reading it!! I couldn't finish it because I repeatedly fell asleep when I tried reading it -- so BORING!

message 12: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (margaretf) | 14 comments 1. Tell us how many miles you’ve made it up your mountain (# of books read).

I’m on my way up Mt Vancouver , having read 28 books. I’m well on target to reach Mt Ararat (48 books) this year and hoping to get a fair way up Mt Kilimanjaro (60 books).
2. Which book (read so far) has been on your TBR mountain the longest? Was it worth the wait? Or is it possible you should have tackled it back when you first put it on the pile? Or tossed it off the edge without reading it all?
The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf has been on my TBR mountain the longest. I’m not sure when I bought it, but it was one of the books I listed when I first joined LibraryThing in 2007. I do wish I’d read it before this year but I enjoyed it so it was worth the wait.

Use titles from your list to complete as many of the following sentences below as you can. Feel free to add or change words (such as “a” or “the” or others that clarify) as needed.

1. My Ex is/was [reduced to] Bones and Silence (by Reginald Hill)

2. My best friend is Doctor Thorne (by Anthony Trollope)
3. Lately, at work [I’ve been] Talking to the Dead (by Harry Bingham)
4. If I won the lottery, [I’d be on] The Voyage Out (by Virginia Woolf) [cruising around the world]
5. My fashion sense [is because of the] Heat Wave (by Penelope Lively)
6. My next ride [will take me to a] Destination Unknown (by Agatha Christie)
7. The one I love is [in] The Glass Room by Simon Mawer
8. If I ruled the world, everyone would [know] The Secret of Chimneys (by Agatha Christie)
9. When I look out my window, I see The Mill on the Floss (by George Eliot)
10. The best things in life are [found during] A Month in the Country (by J L Carr)

message 13: by Kendyle (last edited Jul 02, 2016 05:30PM) (new)

Kendyle | 70 comments I'm 4,411 miles up Mt. Vancouver (4812 miles). I've read 33/36 and will be posting 34 in a few days.
2A and 2B are about the same topic.. On was a fictional apocalyptic tale about the hazards of GMO and Industrial farming called "TheSeason of the Harvest" and the other was a none fiction account of Industrial farming on live stock and human lives called "Farmageddon". Both books made me rethink some of my food purchases and my plant choices while gardening.

I think the book that was on my TBR shelf the longest was probably "In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whale Ship Essex" ( I don't keep track of when I acquire books). I'm glad I read it because it was fascinating and the author was a really good story teller, but sadly nonfiction books tend to be purchased often but tend to languish in my shelves far longer than fiction.

My life in books:
1. Sorry, no Ex
2. My best friend is a "Wyrd Sister"
3. Lately, at work its been "A Bazaar of Bad Dreams"
4. If I won the lottery, I'd ..."Fat Chance"
5. My fashion sense is a "Fever Dream"
6. My next ride [will take me on a] "A Fatal Voyage"
7. The one I love is "Browsing Natures Aisles"
8. If I ruled the world, everyone would "{To} Marry an English Lord"
9. When I look out my window, I see "Boy, Snow, Bird"
10. The best things in life "Decay".

message 14: by Alanna (new)

Alanna 1. Tell us how many miles you've made it up your mountain (# of books read).

40/48 books up Mt Ararat! I'm honestly doing better than I thought I would.

2A. Choose two titles from the books you've read so far that have a common link.

Ms. Marvel, Vol. 3: Crushed and Me, My Hair, and I: Twenty-seven Women Untangle an Obsession both deal with race and religion from really interesting oblique angles without making a big deal of their diversity.

2C. Which book (read so far) has been on your TBR mountain the longest?

According to the Date Added feature on my challenge shelf, it's Dracula, but these things are a bit liquid for me since I'm not always great about adding books. It may very well actually be Bloodhound. And I should really tackle some of these that have been here for nearly ten years. Oy vey.

message 15: by Sarah u (last edited Jul 04, 2016 05:00AM) (new)

Sarah u (mrssarahu) Hi Bev (and everyone else),

1. This year's challenge is going well so far, I'm 20 books into my climb of Mt. Vancouver (36) and am starting my 21st today.

2A. I've read quite a few books for my studies so finding a link is easy- The Parthenon and The Colosseum are both about ancient wonders of the world.

2B. I've read Me Before You for this challenge, which was a newish genre for me and a new author. I didn't like it as much as others did, but I'm glad I read it.

2C. One of the longest on my tbr was Light on Lucrezia and sadly, it was not worth the wait and I DNF after my 100 page benchmark. Oh well!

message 16: by Martha (last edited Jul 04, 2016 05:16AM) (new)

Martha (marthais) | 7 comments My original goal was Mount Blanc, just finished! So heading over to Mt Vancouver so see how I get on there...

I think it's How to Be a Woman that's been on there the longest and I'm so pleased I FINALLY read it - it's cracking! Laughed out loud on many occasions and cursed myself for not having read it sooner!

1. My Ex was Divergent
2. My best friend is The Other Me
3. Lately, at work [I've been thinking] It's Not Rocket Science - often punctuated with a swear word or two
4. If I won the lottery, I'd [have] A Year of Marvellous Ways
5. My fashion sense [is] The Perks of Being a Wallflower
6. My next ride [will be like] The Railway Children
7. The one I love is The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories
8. If I ruled the world, everyone would [appreciate] The Quality of Silence
9. When I look out my window, I see The Secret Garden
10. The best things in life are [like] A Faraway Smell of Lemon

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (outtaty) | 78 comments I read books 15-34 and moved up to Mt. Vancouver! Now it seems I may have to change my mountain again.

A. Good Girl Gone Plaid (The McLaughlins, #1) by Shelli Stevens and Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover (Gallagher Girls, #3) by Ally Carter both have girl legs with plaid.
B. The book that was most new to me was The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #1) by Carlos Ruiz Zafón . It's long; It's set in Spain - I never read books set in Spain; It's a genre I don't normally read. I ended up really loving it. It proves that I need to step out of my zone sometimes because the results are worth it.

message 18: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 127 comments I'm almost halfway up Mt. Kilimanjaro. Just finished #29. I didn't join the group until mid-February, so I'm happy with my progress! I am definitely being hindered in my climb by a lot of shiny new objects I'm finding on the mountain (in other words, lots of non-TBR books)!

I just recently read Robocalypse and really liked it. I wouldn't normally want to read a book about robots taking over the world, but I had purchased this book way back when and decided to finally give it a try.

I won the last random drawing so hopefully someone else will win this one! Good luck everyone!! And happy climbing :)

message 19: by Amy (last edited Jul 04, 2016 06:14PM) (new)

Amy (amybf) | 41 comments 1. Tell us how many miles you've made it up your mountain (# of books read). And feel free to tell us about any particularly exciting adventures you've had along the way:

I'm at 30 books out of 48 on my climb up Mount Ararat = 62.5 % of the way. That's 10,534 feet! How can I make that count on my Fitbit, is the real question...

This has actually been a bit more challenging than I thought it would be. It's forcing me to be more thoughtful when making a book selection to ensure that I am pulling one from the stack in the my bookshelves. I'm trying to be aware of how often a new book will catch my eye and distract me away from my already-towering TBR pile. I used to think I did a pretty good job of pulling from my pile, but I don't think I realized before this how often I am apparently tempted by pretty flowers and mountain goats!

2. A. Choose two titles from the books you've read so far that have a common link:

Two of my books were set in England and were written by British authors: A God in Ruins and The Post-Birthday World Different time periods, which gave interesting perspectives about the same country over the years.

2. B. Tell us about a book on the list that was new to you in some way:

Although I've now read every other book written by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, her book Half of a Yellow Sun provided me with a look into a conflict I'd known nothing about: the Biafran War, which took place in the eastern region of Nigeria between July 1967 - January 1970 and nearly tore the country in half. Millions of civilians died during the two and a half years as a result of starvation and disease after the federal government's blockade. Adichie's writing is vivid and powerful and unflinching.

2. C. Which book (read so far) has been on your TBR mountain the longest? Was it worth the wait? Or is it possible you should have tackled it back when you first put it on the pile? Or tossed it off the edge without reading it all?

The book on my mountain the longest was Les Misérables. It was a slog and I didn't really enjoy it, but I'm thrilled to finally chuck that monster into the "donate" box in my basement.

message 20: by Kiki (new)

Kiki | 9 comments 1. I've read 17/36 books from my pile so far and have to admit I am slowed down and heavily distracted from the goal by various new releases that I have been waiting for (worth it though) :)

A. There is an easy link between The Moonlit Garden and Amba: My obsession for Indonesia and its literature/ literature about the country.

B. Norwegian by Night is a thriller, whose old, dement (?) protagonist is moved to Oslo, tries to rescue a young boy and tries to cope with his war time experiences and life in general as his end approaches. Nothing I would have picked up my own, as I don't read thrillers. I bought it for a friend, but then never had the chance to pass it on, and now I won't. didn't like it. Also, the German title is: a weird place to die. Which somehow describes the book more accurately

C. I think that would be Firmin: Adventures of a Metropolitan Lowlife. It has been with me for about 2 years. I started reading it back then, but put it down about 25 pages in as I didn't like the style of writing. Pretty glad I picked it up again. It was a cute read about a bookish rat. :)

message 21: by Laura (last edited Jul 05, 2016 04:00PM) (new)

Laura 1. I've read 33 books from my mountain pile so far. I've been on a little hiatus due to keeping up with 2 book clubs and Overdrive holds that have popped into my In Box. I expect to return to my mountain challenge next week.

2A. I read a pair of stories about German-occupied France: The Nightingale by Kristan Hannah and The Lavender Garden by Lucinda Riley. Enjoyed both.

2B. Crank by Ellen Hoskins was new to me and a pleasant surprise although it was a sad train wreck of a story that I just didn't want to put down.

2C. The book on my mountain the longest was The Lucky Charm by Beth Bolden. Fun brain candy that was sitting on my TBR Shelf for 2 years.

message 22: by Jesika (last edited Jul 05, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Jesika (jesikasbookshelf) My original goal was Mount Blanc - somehow I'm now working my way up Vancouver and I've read 28 from my tbr so far this year. You are all a fantastically good influence on me. So many of these books were fantastic and I'm really glad I had something keeping me honest and reading them, particularly at the start of the year.

Two books which felt very related to me were The Wilderness by Samantha Harvey and The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. The first is about a mans' struggle with the development of his Alzheimers and the second is a fantastical rumination on the nature of childhood and memory. Both books reflect on the changeability of memory and the lack of an absolute, definitive version as we change and look back on things with a new light. Both were also, as it happens, utterly fantastic reads.

A new author to me this year was Marilynne Robinson. I had her works on my bookshelf and devoured the whole lot after crying profusely reading Gilead. She is fantastic.

I'm not sure what had been waiting the longest - either John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men or Tolkein's Tales from the Perilous Realm. Both had bee waiting at least seven or eight years. I'm not sure how - I'm glad I'm getting this mountain back under control =)

message 23: by Anna Louise (new)

Anna Louise Kallas I've read 15/36 for my booking to the top of Mt. Vancouver. I currently have two more that I'm reading and hope to have 17/36 done by the end of the month. Overall, I have read 58 books so far for 2016.

The two titles which had a surprisingly common link were " Last Child in the Woods" by Richard Louv Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorderand "In Defense of Food" by Michael PollanIn Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto . Both books discussed how much raising children and eating has changed since WWII. I was so engrossed by how much our society has changed, what those changes are and how we enable the changes due to our constant ideas of quick, easy living. Both books did discuss good ideas to help with the awareness of living today. Both were great reads and I would strongly suggest them for everyone to read!

The book which had been on my TBR mountain the longest was "A Tale of Two Cities". A Tale of Two Cities / Great Expectations I had kept putting this on the bottom of every TBR pile due to the length and time involved in reading it. I know that it is a classic and I've always wanted to read it, but always had other books to read. I started my TBR year with "A Tale of Two Cities" and of course, the classic line "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" and was not disappointed!

One of my favorite books however that I've read so far was "The Rosie Project". The Rosie Project. Imagine Sheldon Cooper from the Big Bang Theory dating and you will love this book.

I will continue booking it to the top of Mt. Vancouver and I hope to see you there!

message 24: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 17 comments I'm heading up Mt Vancouver and have already passed Pike's Peak and am sitting on top of Mt Blanc at the end of June :-D I've had a few distractions of some new shiny things, or specific challenge needs, but I've been making steady progress !

2a) This has pushed me to read some narrative non-fiction titles that I've had sitting on the shelf for a while. Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption and In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette -- both were stories of incredible survival against the odds.

2b) I read several new authors including: Maggie Shipstead, Jeffrey Eugenides and Patrick Rothfuss, all who've been on my radar for a while.

2C) The Invisible Bridge was bought back in Dec, 2010. Despite all the praise, I sometimes have a hard time picking up big books (probably because I'm often doing challenges and I'm not a super fast readers). I did enjoy the story though.

message 25: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 127 comments I have In the Kingdom of Ice sitting in my pile too! Not sure I'll get to it anytime soon though. :(

message 26: by Bev (new)

Bev | 715 comments Mod
Nell wrote: "Bev wrote: "The year is half-way over......
Comments will close at 11:59 pm on Sunday, June 10. Then on Monday, June 11, I will crank up the Custom Random Number Generator and pick a winning climbe..."

Yes! July. :-)

message 27: by Bev (new)

Bev | 715 comments Mod
It's time to take a break in a busy day to haul out the random number generator and select a checkpoint winner for this quarter in mountain climbing. Let's feed in all the entries, listen to it clank and whir, and we have a winner! Our lucky climber is #19!

A quick peek at the Checkpoint comments above tells me that our winner is Amy! Congratulations, Amy! I'll be contacting you about the prize list very soon.

Thanks again to all of you who checked in...and to all who are busy climbing with us! See you at the next checkpoint!

message 28: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 127 comments Congrats, Amy!

message 29: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) Congratulations, Amy!

message 30: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments Congratulations Amy!

message 31: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Congratulations Amy! And good climbing to everyone :)

message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura Bev wrote: "It's time to take a break in a busy day to haul out the random number generator and select a checkpoint winner for this quarter in mountain climbing. Let's feed in all the entries, listen to it cla..."

Yay Amy!! #High5

message 33: by Amy (new)

Amy (amybf) | 41 comments Yay!! Thank you!

message 34: by Anna Louise (new)

Anna Louise Kallas Congratulations Amy!

message 35: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 17 comments Congrats Amy and I enjoyed reading about everyone's adventures!!

message 36: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (nitesead) I apologize for not contributing...I didn't realize there were additional activities here beyond just tracking the books read. I'll be sure to pay attention in the future so I can participate. Also, congratulations to Amy.

For the record, I finished Mount Blanc last night at 24 owned-books completed.

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura Andrew wrote: "I apologize for not contributing...I didn't realize there were additional activities here beyond just tracking the books read. I'll be sure to pay attention in the future so I can participate. Also..."

Congrats!

message 38: by Amy (new)

Amy (amybf) | 41 comments Andrew wrote: "For the record, I finished Mount Blanc last night at 24 owned-books completed. ..."

Congratulations, Andrew!

message 39: by Louise (new)

Louise I didn't see this earlier - I'll post anyway :-D

I'm a little over half-way - but am having trouble staying focused and not pick up too many shiny new books... erhm I mean pebbles on the way :-)

"B. Tell us about a book on the list that was new to you in some way--"
Horrorstör was quite a fun experience - a partly illustrated horror story disguised as an Orsk (cough* IKEA) like catalogue

message 40: by Bev (new)

Bev | 715 comments Mod
Andrew wrote: "I apologize for not contributing...I didn't realize there were additional activities here beyond just tracking the books read. I'll be sure to pay attention in the future so I can participate....For the record, I finished Mount Blanc last night at 24 owned-books completed."

Congrats, Andrew! Next checkpoint coming at the end of September.

message 41: by Bev (new)

Bev | 715 comments Mod
Louise wrote: "I didn't see this earlier - I'll post anyway :-D

I'm a little over half-way - but am having trouble staying focused and not pick up too many shiny new books... erhm I mean pebbles on the way :-)

..."

Yes--it's hard to resist those shiny pebbles. I just picked up a library book that I couldn't resist. Like I don't have tons of things to read sitting around my house....

Congrats on being more than half-way!

message 42: by Louise (new)

Louise Thanks! Hmm just borrowed 6 library books...

message 43: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Piper (rachelpiper) | 34 comments I'm close to summiting Mt. Vancouver, with 32 books. My original goal was Mount Blanc so I'm just taking this one mountain at a time, I guess — though I'd like for half the books I read this year to be books I already owned. How else will I dig myself out of these book stacks?

Lion Heart and In the Afterlight were both the final books in trilogies that I'd had on my shelf for some time. And both ended up to be three-star reads, though I'd loved the first books in both trilogies. I have so many second or third series books on my TBR stack. The wait between releases makes me less interested, and so many series end with a whimper rather than a bang.

I set aside the book that had been on my TBR pile the longest — The Lies of Locke Lamora, which has been on there since 2010 (though I might have bought it previous to that; 2010 is just when I really got into Goodreads). I started listening to it on audio and couldn't track what was happening or why I should care, which was a bummer because it sounds like the kind of book I'd normally love. I'll try it again, in paperback form (the form that truly has been taking up space for six-plus years!).

message 44: by Lavender (new)

Lavender (purlav) Oops, I missed the checkpoint again....

I am behind schedule on my planned books for Mt Ararat. (4 books behind to be exact) - I was distracted by some shiny new books and couldn't wait, so my towering TBR pile was ignored for a bit. I *think* I can still catch up. The good news is a bought a new bookshelf to hold my ever growing TBR pile....

message 45: by Anna Louise (new)

Anna Louise Kallas I need a new bookshelf. :) Have fun filling it. :)

message 46: by Bev (new)

Bev | 715 comments Mod
Rachel wrote: "I'm close to summiting Mt. Vancouver, with 32 books. My original goal was Mount Blanc so I'm just taking this one mountain at a time, I guess — though I'd like for half the books I read this year t..."

thanks for checking in!

message 47: by Bev (new)

Bev | 715 comments Mod
Lavender wrote: "Oops, I missed the checkpoint again....

I am behind schedule on my planned books for Mt Ararat. (4 books behind to be exact) - I was distracted by some shiny new books and couldn't wait, so my tow..."

Thanks for checking in! See you at the next check point.