Horror Aficionados discussion

The Terror
This topic is about The Terror
Group Reads > July 2016 Group Read Runner Up-The Terror by Dan Simmons

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Char  | 16707 comments Mod
The runner-up for our July group read is The Terror. Here's a place for us to discuss the book. Please use spoiler tags as necessary and happy reading!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2259 comments I have the book coming from Amazon today :-) Well, sometime tonight whenever UPS gets here :-)

Maxine Marsh | 736 comments Wow, this was the March group read this year and it won again! That being said I have been re-reading this since March, lol, maybe time to get back to it.

Wayne's (waynesworld) | 115 comments I read this when it first came out. A great story hope everyone enjoys it.

Latasha (latasha513) | 11129 comments Mod
well, my library did have this one and I did not get to it in march so I'm here. I noticed there is a roger corman film by the same title! let's watch it too! I know they aren't related but come on! it'll be fun! :)

message 6: by Kimberly (new) - added it

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6321 comments Mod
I have this one, and ordered a copy of the first place winner from Amazon, but looking at the size, I'm not sure I'll be able to get through both of them!

WendyB  | 3292 comments Mod
Latasha wrote: "well, my library did have this one and I did not get to it in march so I'm here. I noticed there is a roger corman film by the same title! let's watch it too! I know they aren't related but come on..."

You are in luck. I've heard AMC is doing a mini-series of The Terror. It's supposed to be shown this year or maybe early next year. I don't think the exact release date is known yet. I can hardly wait. I loved the book.

message 8: by Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ (last edited Jul 02, 2016 03:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2259 comments I'm cited to read this for the first time. The threads are kept up awhile right? I don't think I can finish in one month.

I didn't know there was a movie!! That's too cool :)

Chapter 1- ohhhh shit....

message 10: by Kimberly (new) - added it

I think I'll try to squeeze this one in after PRESSURE (unless I don't get my copy of Pressure in time ;) ).

message 11: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike (mikebrough) | 24 comments WendyB, I'll be lucky to have finished this by the time the mini-series comes out. This will be my fourth attempt to get through it. To be fair, the previous attempts were all during the winter - perhaps reading about the icy wastes in the summer will make it less of a slog.

David Haynes | 3187 comments WendyB wrote: "Latasha wrote: "well, my library did have this one and I did not get to it in march so I'm here. I noticed there is a roger corman film by the same title! let's watch it too! I know they aren't rel..."

Hey that's great news, Wendy! It's one of my favourite books of the year.

WendyB wrote: "Latasha wrote: "well, my library did have this one and I did not get to it in march so I'm here. I noticed there is a roger corman film by the same title! let's watch it too! I know they aren't rel..."

I don't have cable so unless I can watch it online or on the app, i'll miss it.

WendyB  | 3292 comments Mod
Mike wrote: "WendyB, I'll be lucky to have finished this by the time the mini-series comes out. This will be my fourth attempt to get through it. To be fair, the previous attempts were all during the winter - p..."

I live on the desert and loved reading about ice and snow and bitter cold when it was over 100 degrees outside.
The Terror has some amazing scenes, but Simmons can get a bit long winded. I hope you can get through it this time. I think it's worth the effort.

Maxine wrote: "Wow, this was the March group read this year and it won again! That being said I have been re-reading this since March, lol, maybe time to get back to it."

Yes, that was my fault! By the time I realized it, it was doing very well in our poll, so I decided to leave it be. Sorry about that.

Melissa wrote: "I'm cited to read this for the first time. The threads are kept up awhile right? I don't think I can finish in one month.

I didn't know there was a movie!! That's too cool :)"

Yes, the thread remains first or second in the Group Reads section until the end of the month. It still remains up after the month's end, but you'll have to scroll down for it. :)

message 17: by Latasha (last edited Jul 05, 2016 04:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

ok. *sigh* I listened to this all day at work. It was fine and before I knew what was going on, we were back in time! telling us how a certain someone came to the company. well! I did not like that and then again! remembering lost loves at the platypus pond. I don't like the flash backs at all. I'm going to give it one more day.

Maxine Marsh | 736 comments Charlene wrote: "Maxine wrote: "Wow, this was the March group read this year and it won again! That being said I have been re-reading this since March, lol, maybe time to get back to it."

Yes, that was my fault! B..."

Oh no Charlene, not complaining! It is a great book and I am still in the middle of a re-read of it so I'll be glad to see what others think of it.

message 19: by Kimberly (new) - added it

Maxine wrote: "Charlene wrote: "Maxine wrote: "Wow, this was the March group read this year and it won again! That being said I have been re-reading this since March, lol, maybe time to get back to it."

Yes, tha..."

LOL! I'm still waiting for my copy of PRESSURE to arrive, so I may end up reading this one instead! I plan on reading it sometime this year, regardless...

message 20: by Latasha (last edited Jul 06, 2016 12:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I think I'm on chapter 26. I'm listening to the audio book. it's from the library and they break it up in parts. my ipod says part 11..anyways, yay!! (view spoiler)

message 21: by Latasha (last edited Jul 06, 2016 01:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

as I've been listening, I thought this seemed familiar! if you like learning about history, give this a listen. it's a 30 minute podcast about the Franklin Expedition.

http://www.missedinhistory.com/podcas...

and they found the Erebus (in real life, idk if they do in the book...)

http://www.missedinhistory.com/podcas...

O'Rissa (o-rissa) | 3 comments It's reading like an old school creature feature and I kinda love it so far.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Pressure was a little pricey on Amazon, so I've ordered this one and will see it in a few days. It sounds like it's a little slow in the middle...oh well.

You might want to those podcast after finishing the book. I don't know how the differ & don't want anything spoiled. This book has gotten very good! I hope to finish it tomorrow.

This book is soooo bleak! But I like it ;)

message 26: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma (lupinevendetta) | 82 comments I started this one (and loved it!) but it got a bit slow for me around the middle so I put it down. Unfortunately I've moved twice since then so I'm not sure I could find my copy... Maybe I'll look for it a bit and if I can't find it get it out of the library!

omg! here's another lil podcast to listen to AFTER you finish the book! this book has just surprised me and tickled me!

https://legendsmythsandwhiskey.com/20...

I'm really glad I finally read this. or listened. I liked it more than I thought I would. if I ever see it, I think I will buy an actual physical copy of this cold, dreary book.

message 29: by Tiffany (new) - added it

Tiffany King (tifking73) | 81 comments I know it's a little late, but I'm in on this one.

message 30: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma (lupinevendetta) | 82 comments I picked this up at the library yesterday and I'm totally hooked! I really enjoy the setting and the creeping, nagging dread of the storyline. Simmons' writing seems almost hurried and unrefined at times, but overall I like his description and he is very good at creating that indirect kind of niggling terror that makes this such an engrossing read. At the same time, I remember now why I put the book down...

oh no Emma! why? I hope your enjoying it as much as I did Tiffany.

Alissa (alissamerritt) | 140 comments I'm about 30% in, it's a bit slow going, but only because the other book I'm reading is so engrossing that it's hard to take a break from it to read this one. I love the story...any stories involving snow/ice are magical to me (true Wisconsinite), and this one is no different. I probably won't finish this tome in July, but I will definitely finish.

message 33: by Kimberly (new) - added it

Alissa wrote: "I'm about 30% in, it's a bit slow going, but only because the other book I'm reading is so engrossing that it's hard to take a break from it to read this one. I love the story...any stories involvi..."

I just finished the first read, and although I probably won't finish this one this month, I plan on getting to it sometime this year. :)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 604 comments I read this one shortly after it first came out, and loved it! I really like horror and historical fiction, so a blending of both was perfect for me.

message 35: by Kimberly (new) - added it

Kelly wrote: "I read this one shortly after it first came out, and loved it! I really like horror and historical fiction, so a blending of both was perfect for me."

I read ABOMINABLE last year, and that one worked because of the same combination. :)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2259 comments Okay, I just finished it today and I really liked it. I thought it dragged a little bit but overall it was really good! And that ending!!!

I am looking forward to reading some more of his books I was looking at including ABOMINABLE that Kimberly mentioned! :-)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 604 comments I will be adding The Abominable to my TBR shelf:-). It looks like something I'd really enjoy.

There's something about the setting of ice, snow, and extreme cold that's so creepy.

O'Rissa (o-rissa) | 3 comments About 85% done, I wanna say it drags but it doesn't really, cause when I think about being trapped on the ice in the Arctic for three years with everything going wrong in starts and fits and not being to do ANYTHING that they could normal be doing on a standard seafaring expedition , the tempo makes sense.

Now they've abandoned their amputees and dying, and the one sailor who's body is dying but he's just pissed they're leaving him, he doesn't seem to grasp that he's dying cause his mind is so alive and he's feeling so angry at his crew mates. My chest hurts thinking about that frustration and that sheer will to live even though your body has completely stopped working.

message 39: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena | 2478 comments I tried reading this a few months ago with another book group but it just started so awful with the sailor comparing, and believing, the indigenous peoples to be animals. Besides, it was long and sounded a lot like Tim Curran's Dead Sea.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I liked this wayyyy more than Dead Sea. I agree with you O'Rissa.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

I've finally finished this and I'm glad I did. It was really excellent, although the end seemed a little...odd? It almost makes sense if the story is about (view spoiler) . I've always liked horror set in the snow and the isolation that cold, winter, night, and extreme wilderness bring -- The Shining, The Willows (wilderness, not cold), etc. (view spoiler)

message 42: by Melissa (last edited Sep 12, 2016 02:59PM) (new) - added it

Melissa (melissa52572) | 79 comments Did anyone see this in today's news? The ship has been found - 168 years later! Here's the link:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/201...

That's awesome! This was such a good read. :)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 604 comments Very interesting! Thanks for posting the link.