Reading List Completists discussion

The Stand
This topic is about The Stand
The Stand - July-Sept 2016 > The Stand - Section: On The Border

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1751 comments Mod
Discuss the section of The Stand "On The Border" here.

message 2: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

I am in section 2 now!

I noticed in my copy, the intro page to this section says "On the Boarder". I am wondering if this is a typo or if that is how it is supposed to be.

Below is the official definition of "Boarder" and it doesn't seem to fit.

Boarder:
1. a person who receives regular meals when staying somewhere, in return for payment or services.
2. a person who boards a ship during or after an attack.

I will say, I have a first edition Paperback copy of the extended edition and it has TONS of typos. Made me wonder if the editor was out to lunch!

message 3: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (last edited Aug 12, 2016 01:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapters are getting loooooooooong and there are some characters I have not seen for a long time. For me, this section is where the unabridged is really sticking out.

Would you believe, even with right around 700 or so pages left I am wondering how he is going to fit in everything I know is left.

message 4: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Okay - people are starting to meet up . . . westward ho!

message 5: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Looks like I am about to meet The Kid. I have heard that he is one of the main - and most disturbing - additions to the extended version of The Stand.

Beth (k9odyssey) Ugh. Matthew, the Kid creeped me out so much I almost threw the book across the room. I thought it was gratuitous and completely unnecessary but then maybe something will tie it in later in the story. I have not read The Stand before. I want to like it but am struggling right now. Im more than 1/2 way and want to see it through.

message 7: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

I read the abridged several years ago and I am really starting to think the editing in it made it a better flowing story overall.

message 8: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Starting to get into the community planning in Boulder. This is where I remember it slowing down a lot in the abridged version . . .

message 9: by Kirstin (new) - added it

Kirstin | 92 comments Matthew wrote: "Starting to get into the community planning in Boulder. This is where I remember it slowing down a lot in the abridged version . . ."

Yup. This is where the book lost me. :(

message 10: by Beth (new) - rated it 2 stars

Beth (k9odyssey) Yeah I'm not too impressed at this point. I keep hoping it gets better.

message 11: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Way too many pages have gone by with only talk of Flagg and no more Vegas scenes. Having read the abridged and seen the mini-series, I know we will eventually get back there, but I want more action and less Free Zone Committee! At least something just blew up . . .