Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Question: What to do with an Author with more than one name who has a book released with both names linked together - Michael Dillon/Lobzang Jivaka

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike Briggs (last edited Jun 30, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Mike Briggs (mikebriggs) | 188 comments There is a memoir being published shortly (November 1 2016) that has on the cover, here, and on Amazon (and on Netgalley) the author listed as Michael Dillon/Lobzang Jivaka. Out of the Ordinary: A Life of Gender and Spiritual Transitions

How should the author's name be listed on here? Dillon/Jivaka is the same person. I do not know how the name corresponds with the person - if they were used at the same time, one first then the other, or what. Michael Dillon would not appear to be the birth name, since Dillon/Jivaka is 'the first female-to-male post-operative transsexual'; and likely birth wasn't Lobzang Jivaka as Dillon/Jivaka is 'the first white European man to be ordained in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition.'

Ah, born Laura Maud Dillon. Michael Dillon after a series of operations to 'correct the condition' (re: 'he told the press he was a male born with a severe form of hypospadias and had undergone a series of operations to correct the condition.'). And became Lobzang Jivaka after becoming an ordained monk.

One of the Michael Dillon books on here is by Dillon/Jivaka - Self: A Study in Ethics and Endocrinology (which is, oddly, attached to a Goodreads author account - oddly since Dillon/Jivaka has been dead since 1962).

At least one of the Lobzang Jivaka books on here is by this same author. The Life of Milarepa

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45058 comments Mod
The two author names get separate lines. I fixed that book.

The single-space Michael Dillon who has claimed the profile is not this author. Some books need moving from that profile.

message 3: by Mike Briggs (new)

Mike Briggs (mikebriggs) | 188 comments Thanks. Was a confusing situation to me.