Beyond Reality discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General SF&F discussion > What are you reading in July 2016?

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 974 comments Please tell us what you are reading or are planning to read in July.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) books 2&3 of the broken empire and books 2&3 of the first Black Company trilogy. Maybe get some pages down from Deadhouse Gates if time allows

message 3: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3327 comments Mod
Since I just finished The Infernal City for July, I will be working on the 2 series I'm reading, The Childe Cycle by Gordon R. Dickson and the Recluce series by L.E. Modesitt Jr.. I also have 11/22/63 on deck, the sequel to The Infernal City, and an Anne Perry mystery.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 485 comments Just finished Tripoint by C. J. Cherryh. Can't believe I still haven't read all of her output. July will likely see me embarking on the third Lyonesse novel, Madouc by Jack Vance Great tales by a great writer.

message 5: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2360 comments Mod
I'm reading The Last Samurai right now (no relation to the movie) on recommendation from a friend - it took me a while to get into, since it's written in a very unusual way, but now I'm enjoying it. Next up, I got The Three-Body Problem from the library so that's waiting for me!

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8 comments A Darker Shade of Magic
House of Chains
The Healthy Dead
The Shadow Throne
The Price of Valour

Continuing with the Malazan recommended reading order and the Shadow Campaigns series as well.

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 127 comments I've been reading more intense books lately so I thought I'd shake it up with Mort. It will be a nice breather before I dive back into my stack of scifi opera, horror, and more serious fantasy novels I have from the library. I read Hogfather and had fun with it so now I'm onto my next Terry Pratchett book. A friend loaned me this one & Guards! Guards!.

message 8: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinescholefield) | 563 comments I've been reading the Throne of Glass series and I'm currently on book 4, Queen of Shadows. It's turned out to be a very enjoyable YA fantasy series:)

message 9: by Tani (new)

Tani | 132 comments I'm working on Shaman's Crossing by Robin Hobb primarily, as part of my goal of catching up on the works by Hobb that I've fallen behind on. (I'm quite behind, so it'll take a while.) I'm enjoying it, but it's hit a bit of a slow point, and work has been killing my brain, so it's slow going. I hope to make a good deal of progress over my 3 day weekend. :)

message 10: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Jenny wrote: "I've been reading more intense books lately so I thought I'd shake it up with Mort. It will be a nice breather before I dive back into my stack of scifi opera, horror, and more seriou..."

Pratchett books are always great for a change of pace. That's what I turned to when I finished The Crippled God, last of the main series of Malazan books.

message 11: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 974 comments Jenny wrote: "I've been reading more intense books lately so I thought I'd shake it up with Mort. It will be a nice breather before I dive back into my stack of scifi opera, horror, and more seriou..."

I just received Mort as a gift! If my stack of bedside table books were not so long, I would delve right into it. I may anyway!

message 12: by Xil (last edited Jul 03, 2016 11:30AM) (new)

Xil (zerl) | 7 comments I'm working through Randolph Lalonde's Spinward Fringe series: Spinward Fringe Broadcast 0: Origins

Just started What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours

Also checked out Anathem from the library, after finishing Neal Stephenson's Seveneves.

message 13: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 202 comments im not too sure but i started with Coraline and now onto Fool Moon.

Think i'll maybe read Solar Lottery and continue with Shield of Thunder in the Troy series.

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine | 620 comments I just finished Otherbound which I enjoyed and am now starting The Lie Tree

message 15: by Anomander (last edited Jul 06, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Anomander | 37 comments Have started reading classic scifi books from the SF Masterworks series, so far Non-Stop and Earth Abides have been the ones I've enjoyed a lot.

message 16: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1357 comments Finished the Dr Who book the other day.
It was ok, The Doctor was a bit different than usual but I am guessing it is was due to the story,

Started The Paths of the Dead
Its part three of the Viscount of Adrilankha. A sort of prequel to the Vlad Taltos books.

message 17: by Lori (last edited Jul 07, 2016 09:01PM) (new)

Lori (loriramey) | 1 comments I'm plowing through the nominees for the Hugo Awards, since voting closes 7/31. So I just wrapped up NK Jemisen's The Fifth Season - amazing book. (I see that it's on the calendar here for August - you'll find it a striking read, methinks.) Picking up the Jim Butcher novel next and then heading into the novellas and shorter works. :)

message 18: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

I finished The Chaos Balance and thought it was once of the best books in the Recluce series so far. It really emphasized the cost of change (and of not changing) and the price of power. Now I'm a little out of genre with 11/22/63.

message 19: by Viv (last edited Jul 08, 2016 07:49AM) (new)

Viv JM Lori wrote: "I'm plowing through the nominees for the Hugo Awards, since voting closes 7/31. So I just wrapped up NK Jemisen's The Fifth Season - amazing book. (I see that it's on the calendar here for August -..."

I'm reading The Fifth Season at the moment, and really enjoying it. I'll look forward to the discussions next month!

message 20: by Shel, Moderator (new)

I just zipped through the novella After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall, and really liked it - an original take on post-apocalyptic stories, and though I predicted the ending it was still well-done.

I'm now reading Jenny Lawson's memoir Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things, and next after that is The Three-Body Problem, which I'm really looking forward to.

message 21: by Christine (new)

Christine | 620 comments I finished The Lie Tree which was okay; now reading off topic. Malice will be in soon and that will be my next book (Justine strongly suggested i give it a try)

message 22: by Christine (new)

Christine | 620 comments Abandoned the off topic book for a digital copy of After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall having read Shel's review above

message 23: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1357 comments Gave up on The Paths of the Dead
Wasnt in the mood for it. It's written in a strange way.

Picked up The Robots of Dawn

message 24: by Sumant (new)

Sumant Here is my review of prince of fools. It's definitely a good one time read.

message 25: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Christine wrote: "Abandoned the off topic book for a digital copy of After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall having read Shel's review above"

Let me know what you think :)

message 26: by Christine (new)

Christine | 620 comments I just finished After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall which I really enjoyed and highly recommend. Now on to either Malice or The Fifth Season

message 27: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinescholefield) | 563 comments Christine, that copy of Malice you linked to...did you mean to link to the one by John Gwynne?

message 28: by Christine (new)

Christine | 620 comments Justine wrote: "Christine, that copy of Malice you linked to...did you mean to link to the one by John Gwynne?"

Yes, this Malice
Thank you Justine for suggesting i give this book a try

message 29: by Bill (new)

Bill (reedye) | 56 comments Well I thought that Malice was a little odd but it did looked kinda interesting...Got the Gwynne so I'll bump that up too.

message 30: by Shel, Moderator (new)

I misplaced my kindle, on which I was reading Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things, and while I search for it in the meantime I started The Three-Body Problem and I can NOT put it down :) Yes, I'll check out the old group discussion when I finish it!

message 31: by Shel, Moderator (new)

I am on vacation visiting my inlaws, which means lots of reading time. I've zipped through the first two books of J.D. Robb's In Death series, and found them excellent brain candy page-turners, despite flaws. Perfect vacation reading! Starting book 3 tonight!

message 32: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 334 comments I am reading all of Poul Anderson's Technic Civilization novels, novellas and short stories as compiled and republished by Hank Davis. I am currently on Captain Flandry book 5 of 7 in the series.

Poul Anderson is both a SFWA and Gandalf Fantasy Grand Master. He "began his career during the Golden Age of the genre and continued to write and remain popular into the 21st century. Anderson also authored several works of fantasy, historical novels, and a prodigious number of short stories. He received numerous awards for his writing, including seven Hugo Awards and three Nebula Awards" among many other accolades. I highly recommend his works. Caveat Emptor: He has 20th century Libertarian ideas, some coming through in his works, subtly or not so. Also a lot written in the SF Golden Age, so he may seem not PC. Such things I can easily overlook, just like in Shakespeare or Chaucer. But I know it can piss some off, thus the caveat ;-)

message 33: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 202 comments Jim wrote: "Just finished Tripoint by C. J. Cherryh. Can't believe I still haven't read all of her output. July will likely see me embarking on the third Lyonesse novel, M..."</i>

ive not read any [author: C. J. Cherryh
book before, what would be a good starting point?

message 34: by Sumant (new)

Sumant Finished reading Endymion and here is my review for it, this book convinced me that entropy does exist in the universe :(.

message 35: by Christine (new)

Christine | 620 comments I just finished Malice which I enjoyed despite a lot of blood and gore (why must these civilizations be always at war?). I've put in a reserve to the next book. Thank you Justine for suggesting i give this book a try after I decide not to read it.
Now on to The Fifth Season

message 36: by Justine (last edited Jul 25, 2016 08:04AM) (new)

Justine (justinescholefield) | 563 comments I'm just reading The Fifth Season right now. It's really good:)

I'm glad you enjoyed Malice, Christine. I think I've mentioned that the series improves with each book.

message 37: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

So, I finished 11/22/63 and A Time of Exile and I'm now reading the sequel to The Infernal City, which is called Lord of Souls. It's surprisingly engaging.

message 38: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1357 comments Just finished Robots of Dawn.
It was ok, not much action but the ending was pretty good.

Started a Jack Reacher book
Tripwire

message 39: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 334 comments I'm now reading Fortress in the Eye of Time book 1 of CJ Cherryh's Fortress series. This will be my 3rd read of these. Cherryh is my favorite spec-fic author.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.