Start by marking “A Time of Exile (The Westlands, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Time of Exile (The Westlands, #1)

A Time of Exile

(Deverry #5)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  6,363 ratings  ·  57 reviews
The world of Deverry: an intricate tapestry of fate, past lives, and unfathomable magic. With A Time Of Exile, Katharine Kerr opens new territory in The Deverry Saga, exploring the history of the Elcyion Lacar, the elves who inhabit the country west of Deverry. It is years since the half-elven Lord Rhodry took the throne of Aberwyn. When Rhodry's lost lover, Jill-now a pow ...more
Published June 1st 1992 by Spectra (first published May 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about A Time of Exile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Time of Exile

Bcvs
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
I read this ten thousand years ago, when I had much more patience and a great hunger for Fantasy books. Even then, it wasn't that great.
Perhaps, a re-read is in order.
Kathi
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
9/10
A Time of Exile begins a new arc in the Deverry Cylce while carrying forward the main story of Rhodry and Jill. Most of the book is devoted to the story of Aderyn, apprentice to Nevyn and dweomermaster or a Wise One to the elves. It takes place with earlier incarnations of some familiar characters, filling in some of the history of Deverry, Eldidd, and the Westlands..
Rhod Chang
The start of the new arc. Rhodry, facing up to the problems of being a half-breed. Jill, grown up into being a dweomermaster, and a backstory about Pertyc, the first Maelwaedd to hold Aberwyn. The story about Pertyc is probably one of my favorite backstories ever -- the only one that comes close is the silver dagger arc with Maddyn and Aethan and Branoic, but oh man, how I love this.

Kerr really is in fine form here. Magic and history and the past, oh my! Rhodry and elves and Deverrian power str
Barry Mulvany
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great entry in the series. Thirty odd years have passed since the last book but honestly other than the start and the end, none of the rest of the book is set in the present time. It's all set in the Westlands and mainly focuses on Aderyn and his time living with the Elves. What I love about this series is that even though every iteration of a character is distinct you can see something of the core of the person in each life. I have no idea how she does it but it must take some skill as ...more
Trey  Woody
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Another captivating tale in a wonderful series

A little confusing to follow at some points but truly remarkable in the revealing of more tidbits of what promises to be a grand story. Traveling back in time to see more of the strange Wyrds that govern our beloved hero’s an the love and loss they experience again and again. This series has a way of giving hope that we will all be reunited with our loved ones in the next life and in the many lives to come.
Debbie Jinks
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Having read the full Deverry series I didn't know what to expect from the first Westlands book. Even though this series is also connected to the Deverry series it didn't live up to what I was expecting. I did enjoy it but there wasn't the tension and anticipation as I turned the pages and because of that it took longer to read. This book didn't flow as well, but Katharin Kerr is a great writer so I'll certainly be reading the next in the series.
Sarah Mck
Its more 3.5 stars, as i did really enjoy reading this! So much that I'm now reading the second book.
However it didn't score as high simply because I'm a fan of authors such as Jordan and Eddings, and to me this didn't rate as high.
However, for your traditional fantasy with wizards and elves and magic and maps and kings and wars (etc etc etc!) this ticks all the box's and for that I adored it.
Maureen
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like Rhodry's story in this. It's even sadder in some ways than Dragonspell, but I hate with a fiery burning passion how cold Jill is and how equally cold Dallandra is. I could never forgive her in later books for what she did to Aderyn. The Pertyc Maelwaedd section was especially interesting. Still, this is all set-up for later books.

Derek Vice
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different tempo

This book carries on the tale of Nevyn and co in the magical Deverry world. The tempo is different from the earlier novels; faster, slower - I am not sure; but different. The characters are good. The plot was a bit rambling. The style was typical of K. Kerr. In short, if you enjoyed the first cycle you'll probably enjoy this.
Kes
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, read-2017
This is a new arc of the Deverry series - I liked how it pried Rhodry away and brings him to the Westlands. The focus is on the Westlands - Aderyn, the introduction of the Guardians. It's a good set-up for the focus of this arc (which I think will be on the Westlands).
Monique
Het is fantasy gevorderden zoals ik ooit hoorde. Als je je aandacht erbij kan houden is het zeker de moeite waard.
Sue
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a complex plot-line by this point, but still fascinating and engagingly written.
Libbet
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
2017 re read
Clint Dilks
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Storytelling so good that you start thinking of the characters as real people.
Nick Reys
Jul 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, read-2011
Katharine Kerr’s Deverry cycle is a lot like a ride on a rollercoaster. Whereas one book can be an absolute thrill to read, the next one can be quite a bore or disappointing. After everything that happened in the first four books of this series, Kerr takes us to the Westlands in this second cycle of four books. The Westfolk always fascinated me, so I was glad to start this part of the series. This first book, however, was a little rollercoaster on its own.

The book starts off really well, and I r
Amanda
Jul 16, 2010 rated it liked it
The first book in the second Deverry quartet. Disappointing in comparison to the first four books.

This book opens a number of years after the events in Daggerspell. Rhodry is getting older, but his Westfolk genes have given him long life and people are starting to mutter dweomer when they look at him. He stages his own death so that he is able to slip away gracefully from his life in Aberwyn. He meets Jill again when he heads into the lands of the Westfolk, the first time he has seen her since s
Megan
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So far, I'm not sure where this one ranks in the series. I enjoyed it, as I do all of the Deverry books, but it was a bit strange to have the beginning and end chapters in the "present," a.k.a. Jill and Rhodry's time, but the entire middle was a linear story set a few hundred years before. I kept wondering, when am I going to get back to Rhodry's story?

The story of the blue sprite has always stuck in my brain, although I couldn't remember how exactly it went. It is yet another underscoring momen
Benjamin Thomas
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-epic
This book opened the second quartet of the lengthy Deverry series. Just at the point when a series has the potential to begin growing stale, Ms Kerr takes steps to prevent that by opening up the plot to the Westlands, the home of the elves with their unique culture and long life spans. This novel continues the trend of jumping to a different point on the timeline in order to tell a tale that is relevant to the greater story arcs that permeate the entire series. It's sort of like reading several ...more
Kerry
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, 9, ebooks, fantasy
I'm sure I started this one - I may even have finished it - back when it came out, but I didn't get invested in it. Looking back now (at a point where I'm halfway through A Time of Omens, the book after this one), I suspect it's because at about twenty, I was far too engaged in the Jill/Rhodry aspects of the series and at its most basic, that relationship seems to end here (although I now suspect/realise it is not at all that simple). What I was reading for seemed to have gone and so I stopped.

T
Aria  Tatiana
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Deverry saga is composed of cycles. So you have a real ending at the end of Book 4 (end of the first cycle). A Time of Exile marks the beginning of the second cycle, that will last 4 books again.

The story begins some years after the end of book 4. We meet again with our protagonists Jill and Rhodry. Rhodry, now Gwerbret, is told by Jill, who had an omen, that he has to leave his position and rejoin his father's people: the elves, who live in the Westlands. The plot of this new cycle will con
Kenny
Feb 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Ahh, its a comfort coming back to the world of Deverry and the style of Ms Kerr.

This book, like many of the "dagger*" series is composed of different timelines - this time the 'present' is somme 40 years later when Rhodry is regretting his elvish heritage (and so is his son, waiting for his father to die off so he can inherit). The other timelines mainly follow Adeyrn and the an ill fated uprising which cause the Maelwaedd family (Rhodry's family) to come to power.

This book focussed much more on
Mark
Apr 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been 16 years since I first picked up the first Deverry novel, DaggerSpell, and here in am, 16 years later, about to finish the fifteenth and final one.

Has the journey been worth it? Yes. Was the wait too long? Yes.

I would not recommend anyone starts reading the Deverry cycle unless they intend to read them all, as the macroscopic story is at least as important as the microscopic ones, and as such I am reviewing the books as a set.

I almost give them 4 stars (excellent) but in the end I am
Broodingferret
Dec 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Picking up a good 40 years after the events of the last book, A Time of Exile continues Kerr's Deverry series without losing any steam. I was struck, again, by the believable development of the characters; while certainly different in many ways from the last book-40 years will have an effect, after all-the characters' core personalities are still readily apparent, leading the reader to feel both the comfort of the familiar and the excitement of the new simultaneously. Kerr also returns to her ba ...more
Neill Smith
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Aderyn finishes his training with Nevyn as an herbman and a wizard and must leave to discover his own Wyrd. Upon creating his ritual he heard the voices of the Great Ones who instructed him to pursue his Wyrd to the west. During his travels he meets with the Elves, the Elcyion Lacar, and is taken to one of their magicians. As he compares views of magic with Nananna, Wise Woman of the Elcyion Lacar, he discovers that their understanding of magic is very different and he determines to stay and lea ...more
Fantasy Literature
Jul 10, 2013 rated it liked it
A Time of Exile, the first book in the second DEVERRY quartet, opens a number of years after the events in Daggerspell. Rhodry is getting older, but his Westfolk genes have given him long life and people are starting to mutter dweomer when they look at him. He stages his own death so that he is able to slip away from his life in Aberwyn. He meets Jill again when he heads into the lands of the Westfolk, the first time he has seen her since she left him for the dweomer. She is now a master, and re ...more
Lizzie Newell
Apr 16, 2014 rated it liked it
A Time of Exile by Katherine Kerr has been an enjoyable read for the most part. However, the story has jerky confusing transitions. Generally the time and place for each scene is unclear until the second or third paragraph. The story is incomplete in itself and requires the reader to remember characters from earlier parts of the stories. Coupled with confusing similarity of names and the awkward transitions I was at times lost even though I've read the previous books in the series recently. The ...more
Patrickderaaff
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deverry
Een heel goed boek! Het verleden van Aderyn en zijn band met het Westvolk wordt uit de doeken gedaan, een belangrijk stuk uit het verleden van de Maelwaedds wordt verhaald en we zien hoe een kwelgeest de ziel van Rhodry op een verstikkende manier gedurende meerdere levens volgt, met een opmerkelijke reden: liefde.

Het belangrijkste onderdeel van Banneling is volgens mij de introductie van de Wachters. Ik vermoed dat we daar nog veel meer van gaan horen. En aan het eind van het boek gooit een Kat
Penelope Green
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not quite as strong as the original four, this still holds up very, very well on a re-read and despite the way it sounded when I tried to explain it to someone ("celtic refugees flee Rome into a new world where they build a new civilisation - with magic and elves and reincarnation") it really sucks you in to feel like it's all very real and solid and matters. Plus it's very readable - classic case of a plan to sit and read the 8 pages to a section break only to discover I've missed bed-time but ...more
Katherine
Aug 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
  • Keeper of the Keys (The Cycle of Fire, #2)
  • The Mageborn Traitor (Exiles, #2)
  • The Burning Stone (Crown of Stars, #3)
  • Warlord (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade, #3)
  • The King Beyond the Gate (The Drenai Saga, #2)
  • One King's Way (Hammer and the Cross, #2)
  • Servant of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #2)
  • A Pride of Princes (Chronicles of the Cheysuli #5)
  • Dhiammara (Artefacts of Power, #4)
  • Journey Into the Void (Sovereign Stone, #3)
  • Lords of the Sky
Born in Ohio, 1944. Moved to San Francisco Bay Area in 1962 and has lived there ever since. Katharine Kerr has read extensively in the fields of classical archeology, and medieval and dark ages history and literature, and these influences are clear in her work. Her epic Deverry series has won widespread praise and millions of fans around the world.

Deverry (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Daggerspell (Deverry, #1)
  • Darkspell (Deverry, #2)
  • The Bristling Wood (Deverry, #3)
  • The Dragon Revenant (Deverry, #4)
  • A Time of Omens (The Westlands, #2)
  • Days of Blood and Fire (The Westlands, #3)
  • Days of Air and Darkness (The Westlands, #4)
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
  • The Black Raven (The Dragon Mage, #2)
  • The Fire Dragon (Deverry, #11; Dragon Mage, #3)