The Top 100 Children's Books on Goodreads discussion

Discussions > Which Book are You Currently Reading From the Top 100 List?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 306 (306 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Hufsa (new)

Hufsa | 154 comments Mod
Let others know which books you are currently reading from the list! Please be sure to update your progress when you start or finish a book.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 02, 2016 10:23PM) (new)

I am just starting to read "A Long Walk to Water" by Linda Sue Park. It is based on a true story.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason Caldon (jase3gt) | 70 comments We just finished The One and Only Ivan. It's a nice story. The entire book is from the point of view of Ivan, the gorilla. This was the second time I've read it. Next we might read The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane.

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason Caldon (jase3gt) | 70 comments Last night we finished The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. It was pretty good. My daughter really liked it. It was very emotional. Now we're about 30% done with Coraline. The book seems to be pretty close to the movie so far. My daughter has always liked the movie, but I have to admit that I was never a big fan.

message 5: by Hufsa (last edited Aug 04, 2016 07:52AM) (new)

Hufsa | 154 comments Mod
Today I finished the Graveyard Book after about a month of reading it. The book had quite a slow start - the first half was really boring with nothing much going on. When I was reading that part of the book, I had doubts about whether I would be able to finish it. Luckily, the second half of the book was much more interesting and was at least bearable enough for me to get through. I decided to rate the book two stars. It was a sweet story, but had a slow plot. I would definitely recommend The Graveyard Book to anyone into books about murder, ghosts, graveyards, etc.

I am now starting Anne of Green Gables from the list. I am excited to read it because I have heard so much about how good it is, and so many people have recommended it to me!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm looking forward to reading Anne of Green Gables too after watching the TV series years ago and loving it. I'm going to read the book later though as if I love it, I want to then go on and read more of the series.

message 7: by Hufsa (new)

Hufsa | 154 comments Mod
Julie wrote: "I'm looking forward to reading Anne of Green Gables too after watching the TV series years ago and loving it. I'm going to read the book later though as if I love it, I want to then go on and read ..."

Sounds like a good plan! I want to read the whole Anne series as well (If I end up liking the first book).

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I really enjoyed reading A Long Walk To Water and would recommend it to everyone. I am now starting to read The Little Prince.

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason Caldon (jase3gt) | 70 comments Netflix just put up a Little Prince movie that we watched with my daughter the other day. She really liked it. I think it's the same as the book but I'd have to double check.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

That's good timing. I'll have to watch it after I have finished the book.

message 11: by Hufsa (new)

Hufsa | 154 comments Mod
I finished Anne of Green Gables! It was a great book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I fell in love with Anne while reading the book, and even though all the other Anne books are not part of the Top 100 List, I look forward to reading more about Anne's journey.
(I do think that Anne of Green Gables is a book girls would enjoy more than boys.)

I am not sure what book from the Top 100 I am going to read next, but I am excited to go through the list again, and find another one that interests me!

message 12: by Jason (new)

Jason Caldon (jase3gt) | 70 comments I remember my mom and sister reading those when she was little. Now I think my daughter has some of them too.

message 13: by Hufsa (new)

Hufsa | 154 comments Mod
Jason wrote: "I remember my mom and sister reading those when she was little. Now I think my daughter has some of them too."

Yes, it is a classic for sure!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

That's great that you really enjoyed reading Anne of Green Gables. I hope I love it too when I read it in the future.

message 15: by Jason (new)

Jason Caldon (jase3gt) | 70 comments So we just finished Coraline. My daughter thought it was a little boring. She loves the movie though. I'm the opposite though. I liked the book more than the movie although parts of it did seem to drag out a little. I'm not sure what we'll read next. Maybe Aesops Fables. I picked up a bunch of the books for my kindle for free from Amazon.

message 16: by Hufsa (new)

Hufsa | 154 comments Mod
I watched the Coraline movie in the theater when it first came out in 2009. I don't really remember how it was besides the fact that I thought it was scary - I guess I was a fraidy-cat when I was younger compared to your daughter :) I haven't read the book yet though. I think it would be exciting to see the difference between the book and the movie, and if I still don't like the movie now, seven years after I first watched it.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished reading The Little Prince at the end of August. It was an unusual story but I liked the character of the Little Prince. I'm now starting to read From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.

message 18: by Jason (new)

Jason Caldon (jase3gt) | 70 comments Did you see the movie yet? It was a really strange movie too. We've started reading The Secret Garden which I've never read before.

message 19: by Hufsa (new)

Hufsa | 154 comments Mod
Julie wrote: "I finished reading The Little Prince at the end of August. It was an unusual story but I liked the character of the Little Prince. I'm now starting to read From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. ..."

When I read that book, I found that I liked the beginning more than the end. From the start, I thought that the whole setup of the story would make for a great ending, but then it didn't turn out to be the best in my opinion. I will let you decide for yourself how you like it!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Jason wrote: "Did you see the movie yet? It was a really strange movie too. We've started reading The Secret Garden which I've never read before."

I rated The Little Prince 3 stars. I haven't seen the movie yet and if it's really strange I'm not in a rush to watch it.

I brought The Secret Garden recently so I'm interested in what you think of it. I've heard that it is well liked by many people.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I Love To Read, I liked the character of the Little Prince but otherwise I found the story to be a bit weird. I have read and enjoyed fantasy and science fiction when I was younger and in my 20s but I don't click with this book.

message 22: by Hufsa (new)

Hufsa | 154 comments Mod
Julie wrote: "I Love To Read, I liked the character of the Little Prince but otherwise I found the story to be a bit weird. I have read and enjoyed fantasy and science fiction when I was younger and in my 20s bu..."

I was talking about the From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. Sorry about the confusion!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

That's okay. I'll let you know what I think after I've finished From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.

message 24: by Hufsa (new)

Hufsa | 154 comments Mod
Great!!

message 25: by Jason (new)

Jason Caldon (jase3gt) | 70 comments Took a break from The Secret Garden and read the last Airbender graphic novel. It's a quick read. Amazon has them on sale right now

message 26: by Hufsa (last edited Sep 17, 2016 03:43PM) (new)

Hufsa | 154 comments Mod
I just finished A Long Walk to Water. I finally got to reading it after such a long time. It is such a powerful story! Even though this book is categorized as a children's book, it is great for people of any age to read.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree, A Long Walk to Water is a great story. I gave it 5 stars.

message 28: by Jason (new)

Jason Caldon (jase3gt) | 70 comments Finished The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. I've been wanting to read this for a while. I've always liked the premise for most of his stories but this is the first one I enjoyed reading. There were a few things I wish he had gone into a little more detail with but overall I liked it. We still need to finish the Secret Garden so we'll probably do that now. We also read some of The Crossover tonight too. That is really interesting. The entire story is told like the main character is rapping it. It's something different. So far I like it.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished "From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler". I liked this book but as it is in the Top 100, I was expecting more from it.

message 30: by Jason (new)

Jason Caldon (jase3gt) | 70 comments Tonight we read Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes. It's a quick read but very sad.

message 31: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 14, 2016 02:39AM) (new)

That's good to know. I'll make sure I read it at home when I don't have to go out, seeing sad books make me cry easily.

message 32: by Terris (new)

Terris | 178 comments Jason wrote: "Tonight we read Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes. It's a quick read but very sad."

That is one that I had not heard of and put on my TBR list. However, I have been to Hiroshima and seen the paper crane chains, so I'm anxious to read it! Thanks for the recommendation :)

message 33: by Jason (last edited Oct 14, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Jason Caldon (jase3gt) | 70 comments Terris wrote:

That is one that I had not heard of and put on my TBR list. However, I have been to Hiroshima a..."

I had never heard of it either and when I saw it was fairly short and based on a true story I picked it up at the library this week. There was also a top 100 children's list by Amazon that had picture books on it so we've been reading some of those too the last few weeks. Now we need to finish up The Crossover and The Secret Garden.

message 34: by Terris (new)

Terris | 178 comments Jason wrote: "Terris wrote:

That is one that I had not heard of and put on my TBR list. However, I have been to Hiroshima a..."

I had never heard of it either and when I saw it was fairly short and based on a..."

I haven't read The Crossover, but I loved The Secret Garden! You're reading some good ones! Enjoy :)

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

In honour of Winnie-the-Pooh's 90th birthday on October 14th, I am just starting to read Winnie-the-Pooh.

message 36: by Terris (new)

Terris | 178 comments Julie wrote: "In honour of Winnie-the-Pooh's 90th birthday on October 14th, I am just starting to read Winnie-the-Pooh."

Oh, it's a wonderful book! Enjoy!

message 37: by Hufsa (last edited Oct 14, 2016 08:11PM) (new)

Hufsa | 154 comments Mod
Good timing Julie :)

message 38: by Jason (new)

Jason Caldon (jase3gt) | 70 comments Well we finished The Crossover. I really liked the writing style. It was something different and fun. The book is a fairly quick read since it's written in verse.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't remember if I have read a novel written in verse before so that would make The Crossover an interesting read for me.

message 40: by Terris (new)

Terris | 178 comments I just read Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes. It is a very beautiful but sad story of a young girl who dies of leukemia after experiencing the atom bomb being dropped on Hiroshima during WWII. However, she becomes the inspiration for a monument that has been built at the Hiroshima Peace Park honoring her and all the children who were killed by the atom bomb. I have seen this monument and the paper cranes that have been made to commemorate those lives lost during that horrific time. It is a very emotional experience.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Terris wrote: "I just read Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes. It is a very beautiful but sad story of a young girl who dies of leukemia after experiencing the atom bomb being dropped on Hiroshima..."

Thanks for sharing your personal experience connected to this book. It does sound like it will be an emotional read.

message 42: by Hufsa (new)

Hufsa | 154 comments Mod
Julie wrote: "I don't remember if I have read a novel written in verse before so that would make The Crossover an interesting read for me."

I definitely want to read that book!

message 43: by Hufsa (new)

Hufsa | 154 comments Mod
I just finished reading Echo by Paul Munoz Ryan. It was a great book, and I can easily see how it made it onto the Top 100 list. There was a twist of fantasy and history weaved into the plot, which is different from any book I have read before. Overall, I think that the story was well told and very captivating!

message 44: by Jason (new)

Jason Caldon (jase3gt) | 70 comments I Love to Read! wrote: "I just finished reading Echo by Paul Munoz Ryan. It was a great book, and I can easily see how it made it onto the Top 100 list. There was a twist of fantasy and history weaved into the plot, which..."

We had Echo checked out from the library on my Kindle but we didn't get to it before it was due back. We've got to get it again so we can read it this time.

message 45: by Terris (new)

Terris | 178 comments I Love to Read! wrote: "I just finished reading Echo by Paul Munoz Ryan. It was a great book, and I can easily see how it made it onto the Top 100 list. There was a twist of fantasy and history weaved into the plot, which..."

I'm putting it on the list!! :)

message 46: by Hufsa (new)

Hufsa | 154 comments Mod
Terris wrote: "I Love to Read! wrote: "I just finished reading Echo by Paul Munoz Ryan. It was a great book, and I can easily see how it made it onto the Top 100 list. There was a twist of fantasy and history wea..."

Yes!!

message 47: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 9 comments Just finished Echo. Loved loved loved it!!!

message 48: by Terris (new)

Terris | 178 comments Jennifer wrote: "Just finished Echo. Loved loved loved it!!!"

Looks like I'm moving it up on the list!

message 49: by Hufsa (new)

Hufsa | 154 comments Mod
I Love to Read! wrote: "Terris wrote: "I Love to Read! wrote: "I just finished reading Echo by Paul Munoz Ryan. It was a great book, and I can easily see how it made it onto the Top 100 list. There was a twist of fantasy ..."

I loved Echo too! Who was your favorite main character (Freidrich, Mike, or Ivy)??

message 50: by Terris (new)

Terris | 178 comments I just finished Number the Stars by Lois Lowry.
I enjoyed this wonderfully told story about two families in Copehagen during WWII, one family being Jewish. The little girl that narrates the story is not Jewish, so this story is a little different than others that I've read. Since this is a book written for 10-12-year-olds, I was glad that the author wrote an "Afterword" explaining her inspirations for the story & characters, and the parts of the story that were fiction and which parts really happened. This is a good one, and I highly recommend it!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7