What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. In a post apocalyptic world, a group of survivors have barricaded themselves inside a building. Having nothing to do one of them suggests they play Dungeons and Dragons and the players begin to grow attached to their characters. [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Crocono | 6 comments Hello everyone!

A friend told me about a book he heard about which is set in a post apocalyptic world and the characters, normal people, are trapped in a building and decide to play D&D because they have nothing else to do. They begin to grow attached to their characters and the story follows their interactions with each other.

Has anyone read or heard of this book?

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40196 comments Mod
Around when was it published?

message 3: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Crocono | 6 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Around when was it published?"

No idea. He was listening to a podcast but can't recall what podcast it was. Would have been recent though.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

message 5: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Crocono | 6 comments Thanks Sarah but that's not it. The characters are normal people who play D&D during the story.

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36044 comments Mod
Joseph, what kinds of threats do they face outside the building (e.g., zombies)?

message 7: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2102 comments This sounds like a misremembering of Phil K. Dick's The Days of Perky Pat https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day... - after thermonuclear war, people live horrible lives, enlivened only by their "Perky Pat" game, in which they compete with each other to "play out" a typical prewar lifestyle, using lifesized manikins.

message 8: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Crocono | 6 comments Kris wrote: "Joseph, what kinds of threats do they face outside the building (e.g., zombies)?"
Yes my friend thinks it was zombies. He's been trying to locate the podcast he heard about the book on but to no avail.

message 9: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Crocono | 6 comments Andy wrote: "This sounds like a misremembering of Phil K. Dick's The Days of Perky Pat https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day... - after thermonuclear war, people live horrible lives, enlivened only b..."
That certainly sounds like it could be it but checked with him and he said it's not it.

message 10: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2102 comments Joseph wrote: "Andy wrote: "This sounds like a misremembering of Phil K. Dick's The Days of Perky Pat https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day... - after thermonuclear war, people live horrible lives, enl..."

Ok. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

message 11: by Trilobyte (new)

Trilobyte | 158 comments I seem to recall that a (relatively minor) part of the plot of The Dead involved a group of children holed up in a museum, dressing up in the museums exhibits and playing dungeons and dragons.

message 12: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Crocono | 6 comments Trilobyte wrote: "I seem to recall that a (relatively minor) part of the plot of The Dead involved a group of children holed up in a museum, dressing up in the museums exhibits and playing dungeons a..."

Ok he thinks that's it! Let's close this thread, thanks for everyone's help.