You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Monthly > July 2016 - Randomiser, Random, Randomiser, You're a Randomiser

Comments Showing 1-50 of 167 (167 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Jun 28, 2016 07:28AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17780 comments Out! Out, damn earworm! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d1Jr...

Right. So. RANDOMISER TIME! Do NOT touch your numbering on your TBR List from this point on, until you settle on your books.

Head to your "My Books" page. Look at how many books are on your To Read list. If you're not sure, you can see here on your sidebar:

photo Untitled-1_zps6nkkkqo7.jpg

Okay, now head to https://www.random.org/ I want you to enter in 1 as your miniumum number, and your number of books on your To Read list as your maximum. So for me it looks like:

photo more snipping_zpsxokrmugg.png

Then hit generate. So my example generates 1051.

I'm going to head back to my To Read list. I am going to sort my To Read list by the # (number) on the left hand of your list. Click on it to sort by number, by clicking here:

photo untitled_zpsc4972bd3.jpg

Edit -
If this number column doesn't appear go up to the right hand side and click the "Enabling Sorting" option here (thanks Sandra!)

photo snip_zpsckr33far.png
- Here endeth the edit

Now navigate to your number you have generated. For me, that's 1051. As it's a 4 digit number, and it only shows 4 you can see here what I get.

photo numbers_zpsltexhxnz.png

So that is your number. You can look at the 20 books below AND above your number. The challenge for this month is to read one of those 41 books.

Read it. Tell us why you added it. Tell us what you think. Stop singing Britney Spears.

Questions? Comments?

Edit: Of course the normal rules apply, but they are:
General Rules:
1. The book may be in any format - paperback, ebook, audiobook.
2. The book may be in any genre.
3. The book may NOT be combined with the Year Long Geocaching Challenge.
4. The book must be read between July 1 - 31 2016 (based on your own time zone).
5. The challenge is for one book. You may read more books if you chose.

Sorry for not stating earlier - end edit.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18222 comments Ooh fun! I have 195 books which I own already on my tbr. My random number is 168. I'll look at what options that gives me when I get home.

message 3: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I have 547 on my tbr and my random number is 47...off to gopher!

btw, I LOVE randomly choosing books using this method off my tbr shelf, great challenge!

message 4: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2761 comments Aha! I've been hanging around waiting for this :)

I have 1432 books on my to-read list and I generated the number 1429. So pretty much near the end of my list.

I think I'm probably going to go read Gena/Finn

message 5: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17780 comments Tasha wrote: "btw, I LOVE randomly choosing books using this method off my tbr shelf, great challenge!"

Woohoo! I know some people love it, and realised it had been a while since our very random option. Hope you enjoy whatever you read!

message 6: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17780 comments Also, sorry for the lateness.

I kinda panicked at work today. I had to set up all these meeting for July which was "so far away" and at the back of my head was screaming "CHALLENGE!!!!"

So sorry for any one who's been gagging at the bit for this.

message 7: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Jun 28, 2016 06:50AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15546 comments I always love randomiser challenges!

Two questions:
- What if I get for example #2 from the randomiser, then there's no 20 below.
- I have two mutually exclusive to-read shelves. One general to-read with 569 books and one really-really-want-to-read (books that have priority, 75 books). Which one should I use for the challenge?

edit: oh, I also have to-read ebook, which are ebooks (189) I own, because my general to-read shelve is mostly books I don't own.. Can I pick from the books I own, so I don't have to buy something new for the challenge?

message 8: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2713 comments I 'only' have 378 books on my TBR ... I feel such a lightweight

My random number is 113 , so my book's most likely to be The Last Policeman

Shame I can't use this for the geocache challenge... it would fit so well, but there's always the second in the series!

message 9: by Lisa (last edited Jun 30, 2016 07:07AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I have 207 books on my TBR. My random number is 145 which is Fates and Furies. However, I think the book I will go for is Daughter of the Forest which is #137.

message 10: by Ariane (last edited Jun 28, 2016 11:06PM) (new)

Ariane | 697 comments This is a great challenge, I love it!
I have 296 books on my TBR and my random number is 54, which is a book in the middle of a series that I haven't read yet, so I'll have to figure out what other book I can read... off to gopher!
Edit: so I see here a sign that I have to finish my series; one in this list is the next in a series that I am reading. This will be L'Enfant allemand

message 11: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17780 comments Peggy wrote: "I always love randomiser challenges!

Two questions:
- What if I get for example #2 from the randomiser, then there's no 20 below.
- I have two mutually exclusive to-read shelves. One general to-r..."

Didn't think of that. If there is nothing in those 22 books you can source (and I understand that as I add any book that looks exciting with no geographical abandon), let me know and I can rule a re-roll.

Second question, I specifically said To Read list. Usually I use my "Own" list, but in the spirit of fairness I opted for the default list. Again, if for some reason you can't source one of those 41 books (it was only going to be 21, but I built in contingencies for people like me) let me know and I can rule a re-roll.

message 12: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17780 comments Annerlee wrote: "I 'only' have 378 books on my TBR ... I feel such a lightweight"

Not at all. I'm cursing all my fluff books that are added as "slightly interesting but no chance of finding".

message 13: by Jackie (last edited Jul 31, 2016 06:48PM) (new)

Jackie | 257 comments You'll love this one...!! A book club & more

Challenges: Monthly > July 2016 - Randomiser, Random, Randomiser, You're a Randomiser

July 1, 2016 to July 31, 2016

Completed 1/1

This is a fun challenge. I went through the 41 possibilities and it was interesting to see what reading phase I was in at the time. I ended up choosing Brave New World because I already own the book, but have not read it since junior or senior high school. My first choice would have meant making a purchase, as my library did not have the book. I'm sure I will use this tool again when I really don't have a book in mind to read. Thanks for the challenge!

Edit: Just finished my book. 7/31/2016

message 14: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15546 comments For my 569-books I rolled 96. Many I don't own, but there are a few I do have. I'll just post them here so that I don't have to browse through all the books everytime.

Grave Sight
The Eyre Affair
The Spellman Files
A Storm Hits Valparaiso
I Still Dream About You
On Folly Beach
Honolulu

message 15: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9694 comments GREAT idea for a challenge!! Love it!

My TBR counts with 1039 books, and my random number was 560. Sooooo many books among those 41!!
My "short" list so far:
The Year of Fog
In the Woods
Rebecca
City of Women
The Dinner

It could be also A Wrinkle in Time since one of y sons and I where planning to read it together this summer, but we are going through the Hunger Games trilogy right now, and I'm not sure we will finish it before the end of July.

message 16: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9694 comments In case someone, like me, doesn't have the TBR list numbered, you need to "enable sorting" to the number appear.

message 17: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17780 comments Thanks Sandra! I thought there was a setting , but couldn't find it. Editing main message

message 18: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51452 comments Lisa wrote: "I have 207 books on my TBR. My random number is 145 and I think the book I will go for is Daughter of the Forest"

Awesome book! I just finished it.

message 19: by Lanelle (last edited Jun 30, 2016 02:20PM) (new)

Lanelle | 3360 comments Lynn wrote: "Aha! I've been hanging around waiting for this :)"

Me, too!

I have 132 books on my TBR list, and the random number was 20.

There are two books I could read for the geocaching challenge:
#2 Skulduggery Pleasant (Ireland)
# 35 Airs Above the Ground (Austria)

Can't mix challenges!

I'm going to read #35 - The Season by Sarah MacLean

It's nice to actually read a book from that ever-growing list!

message 20: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51452 comments I have 258 books on my to-read list, and rolled 77. I'm going to go 20 above and grab book 57, Still Life With Murder.

message 21: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9694 comments Rusalka wrote: "Thanks Sandra! I thought there was a setting , but couldn't find it. Editing main message"

No worries!

message 22: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15546 comments Lanelle wrote: "Lynn wrote: "Aha! I've been hanging around waiting for this :)"

Me, too!

I have 132 books on my TBR list, and the random number was 20.

There are two books I could read for the geocaching challe..."

I assume general monthly challenge rules apply (correct me if I'm wrong Rusalka), and if so you can't combine this challenge with the geocache challenge.

message 23: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17780 comments Lanelle wrote: "There are two books I could read for the geocaching challenge:
#2 Skulduggery Pleasant (Ireland)
# 35 Airs Above the Ground (Austria)"

Argh! Just remember the rule of YLTO, that I will copy in above. Never shalt the Challenges meet!

No cross over from the Yearly to the Monthly challenge. If you read something for this one, it won't count for the Yearly.

message 24: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51452 comments Rusalka!

Why, oh why, did I load that freaking clip? Pass the earworm.

message 25: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jun 28, 2016 07:45AM) (new)

Kristie | 14877 comments Oh fun! I have 984 books on my TBR and my number for the challenge is 863.

This number apparently falls near an Audible sale in my TBR. There are several books in that area all added the same time that I already own on Audible.

message 26: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3360 comments Peggy wrote: "I assume general monthly challenge rules apply (correct me if I'm wrong Rusalka), and if so you can't combine this challenge with the geocache challenge."

*facepalm*

I know this! Why do I keep forgetting!?! That's for the reminder, Peggy.

message 27: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17780 comments I actually LOVE Postmodern Jukebox, and you should all watch their clips. All of them. My favourite is Mad World.

But they are actually brilliant.

message 28: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3360 comments Rusalka wrote: "Never shalt the Challenges meet!"

Commandment #11

message 29: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17780 comments Lanelle wrote: "Commandment #11"

Exactly! But sorry, I really should have stated it. Thank you for the reminder.

message 30: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3360 comments Rusalka wrote: "Lanelle wrote: "Commandment #11"

Exactly! But sorry, I really should have stated it. Thank you for the reminder."

*sigh* No problem.

message 31: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15546 comments Lanelle wrote: "Peggy wrote: "I assume general monthly challenge rules apply (correct me if I'm wrong Rusalka), and if so you can't combine this challenge with the geocache challenge."

*facepalm*

I know this! Wh..."

Happens to me all the time too! I usually realize just in time :)

message 32: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17780 comments Lanelle wrote: "*sigh* No problem."

You get a wonderful mod pat on the back for being honest and pointing it out. Really sorry. You can get a free re-roll for that if you so wish.

message 33: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14877 comments The Fireman is #860 on my list. I planned to start it in July. I wonder if I'll have time to finish it? I can try!

Is there a page minimum? Isn't it usually 175 or am I making that up? There is one on my list that is 173, in case I can't finish The Fireman. I'm thinking I may have to take that one off.

message 34: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3360 comments Rusalka wrote: "Lanelle wrote: "*sigh* No problem."

You get a wonderful mod pat on the back for being honest and pointing it out. Really sorry. You can get a free re-roll for that if you so wish."

I have plenty of books I can choose from. There's no need to re-roll. Thanks, though.

message 35: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2680 comments I also wondered about the page minimum. One of my possibles is The Postman Always Rings Twice, but it is only 116 pages. Another is Horoscopes for the Dead, but it is only 103 pages.

message 36: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14877 comments Casceil wrote: "I also wondered about the page minimum. One of my possibles is The Postman Always Rings Twice, but it is only 116 pages. Another is Horoscopes for the Dead, but it is on..."

I had a shorter one too. I think it was 36 pages. lol I didn't add that one to my list. :) So many I want to read anyway. It was difficult to make a short list from my own TBR.

message 37: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51452 comments Kristie wrote: "The Fireman is #860 on my list. I planned to start it in July. I wonder if I'll have time to finish it? I can try!

Is there a page minimum? Isn't it usually 175 or am I making tha..."

The Fireman is a quick read. I zipped through it in no time, Kristie. For one, it's hard to put down.

message 38: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14877 comments Janice wrote: "The Fireman is a quick read. I zipped through it in no time, Kristie. For one, it's hard to put down."

That's what I'm hoping, but my grandson is still here and I haven't had much reading time. I think I'll be able to do it though.

message 39: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments Love this challenge! I have 830 books on my TBR and I rolled 613. This roll actually includes a book that I just got in the mail today. I didn't have any specific plans on when to read it, but I just may start it for this challenge, its almost too coincidental to pass it up. LOL.

message 40: by Tasha (last edited Jun 28, 2016 09:15AM) (new)

Tasha The randomizer gave me this for the read: Gulag Voices: An Anthology at #47. It's definitely a mood read so I think I'll look above and below that one for the actual book to read! haha

message 41: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Mine was 717, but that book wasn't available from my library. So, I chose 713 The Academy by Bentley Little.

message 42: by Tasha (last edited Jun 28, 2016 10:28AM) (new)

Tasha This is great bc it's also giving me a chance to see which books should be culled outta here...after I pick from the original list!

I'm going to narrow this down (obviously) but here are my choices:

No Name (classic, on personal challenge this year)
Case Histories (own)
Benjamin Franklin's Bastard (own on kindle)
Calico Palace (classic, on personal challenge list this year)

This is giving me a chance to get to one of the classics on my personal challenge list this year. A great motivator!!

message 43: by Almeta (last edited Jun 28, 2016 12:52PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10490 comments By-The Way, I love Postmodern Jukebox, everyone performing there is great!

I'm really fascinated by this bizarre guy: Puddles Pity Party

message 44: by Almeta (last edited Jun 28, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10490 comments Sandra wrote: "In case someone, like me, doesn't have the TBR list numbered, you need to "enable sorting" to the number appear."

Oddly, on my screen the number appears, but will not allow me to sort by it. Also, there is no function "enable sorting" on my TBR. (That function appears on other shelves, but not my TBR.)

So based on the "date added" I was able to work around this problem and find the number range for my book choices. For the most part a sort by "date added" is also numbered chronologically.

Shamefully my TBR is 6284!☻

595 minus
Random 635
675 plus

615 True Grit
624 The Savage Garden
643 The Drowning Pool

message 45: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 257 comments If your to-read shelf is over 5,000 books, it is too big to sort. I had to create another exclusive folder and move some books to allow that feature to work.

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18222 comments So now I can see my TBR. 168 is close to the end of my list so consists of more recently purchased books which is cool. 168 is The Dark Forest which is book 2 of a series which I haven't read the first one of. So looking below this one, ones that take my fancy are:
(157) The Goblin Emperor
(154) This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It
and ones above which take my fancy are:
(175) Firefight
(177) Caliban's War
(185) End of Watch
These don't interfere with geocache plans and it means I'm not starting new series, just working on ones I'm in the midst of. I'll pick which I go for once I've finished my current book. I may just use End of Watch as I had it planned as a buddy read anyway. But I'd like to squish another one in if possible.

message 47: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10490 comments Jackie wrote: "If your to-read shelf is over 5,000 books, it is too big to sort. ."

I suspected as much!

message 48: by Almeta (last edited Jun 28, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10490 comments Debra wrote: "Mine was 717, but that book wasn't available from my library. So, I chose 713 The Academy by Bentley Little."

Bentley Little is just plain scary!☻

I liked reading The Store (5 stars), but I just can not force myself into that torture again!☻

message 49: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments All my immediate choices were Bentley Little. I'm looking forward to another good scare!

message 50: by Cherie (last edited Jun 28, 2016 06:44PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20686 comments My TBR is 3098. My # came up as 2930. This is the book at this location: How to Cook a Tapir: A Memoir of Belize . This book is right in the middle of a slew of books I added for my GEO challenge and a number of Barbara Holloway Series books and others by Kate Wilhelm, when I was searching for audio books available on Overdrive.

These are were my choices from the range 29120-2940:
#2936 Malice Prepense picked for the author, but there are 6 holds on the audio book before it becomes available to me. I doubt If I will get it in a month.
#2929 The Son of Nine Sisters was picked because it has a rainbow on the cover, but I found and purchased another.
#2928 The Two-Family House added from a post by Diane S and Dem
#2927 The Outskirts of Hope: A Memoir added from a post by TJ
#2923 The Price of Silence a Kate Wilhelm audio book - only 1 hold on it.
#2920 Golden Boy added to list from a post by Lynn

hmm. I just realized I only looked at 10 below and 10 above 2930.
edited
I am glad I went back and looked! I found the book I am going to read and I already own it! No waiting for the library. I even deleted 2 books from my TBR (had been Geo choices but I already read other books for the task they were chosen for and I couldn't convince myself that I would ever get to them).

My book will be #2914 Orhan's Inheritance 'cuz I bought it at a Library book sale and Lilisa rated it 5 stars. Another reviewer that I follow rated it 4 stars.

« previous 1 3 4