Psychological Thrillers discussion

BOTM Past to Present > JULY 2016..BOTM: VOID...by DAVID STANIFORTH

Comments Showing 1-50 of 153 (153 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by stephanie, MOD (new)

stephanie | 655 comments Mod
July BOTM, hang tight and this will be open June 30th....

message 2: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Just to let you know, Void is now 99c or currency equivalent on Kindle. I'll keep it at that price for at least the first week of July. It's also available for loan on Kindle unlimited :-

So this book I have tried looking up for the NOOK e-reader, and cannot seem to find it, so folks, 99 cents is looking pretty good right about now....

message 3: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Hetzel | 159 comments I just wanted to tell you readers that you are in for a BIG TREAT this month !!
The book that you will be reading VOID is SO good, a thought-provoking book about memory / lack of memory. It has a great plot and great characters, and I'm sure that you will really get into it !
Plus the author David Staniforth will be an active participant in your discussion and he is excellent! You will learn a lot from him!
I have already read VOID and was part of another discussion involving the book so I won't be involved this month but....
have a GREAT read and an interesting discussion !!

message 4: by Jimmie (new)

Jimmie | 142 comments Team, welcome to the start of a fun and enjoyable mid summer GoodReads book. I hope you enjoy reading and discussing the book, VOID.

I would like to piggyback on Betsy's comments regarding the book and interaction with the author, David Staniforth. My goal as the moderator of VOID is to help set the tone for VOID. I would like to direct you to the introduction of the book, VOID, where Mr. Staniforth suggests listening to a various songs while reading this book. This helps guide you through the portions of the book and helps to set tone of vision for the book. If you are not able to listen to the music, that is not a deal breaker. It just helps to set the vision of the book.

I hope you all enjoy this month's selection of VOID. I would like to thank Stephanie, the groups moderator for selection this book. I would also like to thank Mr. Staniforth for participating in the discussion of his book, VOID.

message 5: by David (new)

David Staniforth (DavidStaniforth) | 53 comments Thank you, folks, for the warm welcome and endorsement. Looking forward to some discussion and questions, whether the book be to reader's taste or not.

Void is only available on Kindle, I'm afraid, but kindle app is available and easily downloaded on most platforms.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy (TheNikitaGirl) | 6 comments Excited for this months selection. I missed it in another group and was eager to get to it.

message 7: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) I have to echo what Betsy said, Readers, you are in for a big treat! This book generated lots of lively discussion and is definitely at the top of my list of books read in 2016. I didn't listen to the music while reading, but I read that many did and it enhanced their reading. I wasn't able to, but if you can it's worth it.

message 8: by Janeandjerry (new)

Janeandjerry (JANEANDJERRYCULWELL) | 65 comments I want to also say have read this one even before another group read it and can say it was worth every minute of reading time...I will also say that you will be having a grewat discussion with the author...He will answer any and all questions and comments you might have...Happy Reading have fun and enjoy
JANE CULWELL

message 9: by David (new)

David Staniforth (DavidStaniforth) | 53 comments Thanks, Karen & Jane. Great to hear you are excited, Amy, hope you enjoy the read; and bonus, it's price is reduced in Canada too this time :~)

message 10: by David (new)

David Staniforth (DavidStaniforth) | 53 comments Rather than give a short bio here, I'd like to direct people to my website: http://www.davidstaniforth.co.uk/

Might be best to steer clear of the VOID extras page until after reading the book.

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris | 379 comments I started reading the book and if this book is anything like Imperfect Strangers we are going to be on a roller coaster. Mr. Staniforth can weave a tale that puts you in the middle of it.

message 12: by David (new)

David Staniforth (DavidStaniforth) | 53 comments Thank you, Chris; nice of you to say so :~)

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 249 comments Looks like Jimmie has this one off and running! I've just put up a new BOTM post for VOID. Check it out:

http://botm.blackdogebooks.com/

Jimmie let me know if you have more stuff to put on the site!!

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris | 379 comments Would be surprising if Penny and Tom were connected since childhood.

message 15: by David (new)

David Staniforth (DavidStaniforth) | 53 comments Jim wrote: "Looks like Jimmie has this one off and running! I've just put up a new BOTM post for VOID. Check it out:

http://botm.blackdogebooks.com/

Jimmie let me know if you have more stuff to put on the s..."

I'm liking your site, Jim, thanks for the platform.

message 16: by David (new)

David Staniforth (DavidStaniforth) | 53 comments Chris wrote: "Would be surprising if Penny and Tom were connected since childhood."

Good to know it has you thinking, Chris.

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris | 379 comments I really hate when my mind starts wandering and I come up with so many scenarios and one is correct the book has a kick ass ending.

message 18: by David (new)

David Staniforth (DavidStaniforth) | 53 comments I guess any well plotted story will have a limited number of different possible directions. Guess enough of them and the odds are one of them will be correct. I can tell you that I juggled with four possible endings for Void, and many different forks in the narrative leading up to the conclusion.

Particularly pleasing to me is my fantasy trilogy concluding with Elemental Cascade as plenty of people have told me they could not guess the ending despite all of the clues being there.

message 19: by Jimmie (new)

Jimmie | 142 comments Team, the author of VOID, David Staniforth, has generously offered a free e-book for answering a question throughout the month of July. I will post one question from the book VOID each week in July. The first person that answers the question correctly in the VOID book discussion thread will win an e-book written by David Staniforth. To make this as fair as possible, a person can only win one e-book during the July VOID book read.

Look for the first question to be posted later today.

message 20: by Chris (new)

Chris | 379 comments David, I didn't finish the book yet I am half way through it. Now I am thinking of another possibility on who Tom is. I just love street fights.

message 21: by David (new)

David Staniforth (DavidStaniforth) | 53 comments Chris wrote: "David, I didn't finish the book yet I am half way through it. Now I am thinking of another possibility on who Tom is. I just love street fights."

I will avoid spoilers for now, Chris, but I really enjoyed writing that scene.

message 22: by Rebecka (new)

Rebecka (Becka77) Got the book from KU today. Will start it as soon as I finish up the one I'm currently reading. Trying to finish it today. I can't wait. The reviews are amazing and I'm excited to read this one.

message 23: by David (last edited Jul 03, 2016 09:22AM) (new)

David Staniforth (DavidStaniforth) | 53 comments I look forward to seeing what you make of it, Rebecka. Hope it lives up to expectations.

message 24: by Chris (new)

Chris | 379 comments Okay David I was right about 1 thing in book now I have to put the rest of puzzle pieces together.

message 25: by David (new)

David Staniforth (DavidStaniforth) | 53 comments Can you share without making it a spoiler?

message 26: by Jimmie (new)

Jimmie | 142 comments VOID book reading team, I wanted to advise there will be an e-book giveaway for each week of July. Most of the questions will be related to the book VOID. Because we just started discussing VOID and not everyone has had a chance to read VOID, the answer to the first question can be found using an Internet search engine.

David Santiforth, the author of VOID, will give away five e-books from his collection. To be fair, a member can only win one of the five books.

Here is the first question:

Q: Tom heads out of London and terminates his journey at a small railway station beginning with "B". In real life this railway station has a claim to fame. What is that claim to fame. The answer is not in the book, and will require a google search based on the station name.

The first person with the correct answer posted to the VOID GoodReads book discussion board will win the first e-book.

message 27: by Chris (new)

Chris | 379 comments David wrote: "Can you share without making it a spoiler?"

Penny and Tom. There is more to it just haven't put pieces together

message 28: by Chris (new)

Chris | 379 comments Could the answer be cemetaries

message 29: by Jimmie (new)

Jimmie | 142 comments Chris, congratulations. You are the first winner of the VOID e-book giveaway. Please send me an email on GoodReads and I will forward your contact information to Mr. Staniforth.

message 30: by David (last edited Jul 04, 2016 03:33AM) (new)

David Staniforth (DavidStaniforth) | 53 comments Well done, Chris. I know you've read Imperfect Strangers, but I see you've added Fuel to the Fire to your TBR list; maybe you'd like the second of that trilogy as your prize :~)

Some info on the cemetery at Brookwood: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brookwo...

message 31: by Chris (last edited Jul 05, 2016 08:03AM) (new)

Chris | 379 comments David wrote: "Well done, Chris. I know you've read Imperfect Strangers, but I see you've added Fuel to the Fire to your TBR list; maybe you'd like the second of that trilogy as yo..."

I took a jab at the answer for the question and yes I would prefer Fuel to the Fire. Unless there is anyone in the group that can't afford our read then you can send them group read. You would have to ask Stephanie about that. BTW I think I only have about 25% of the book left to read so I can actually finish by weekend if I so desire LOL

Stephanie I am actually paying attention to detail in the book which is quite surprising for me since I read about 3-4 books at a time.

message 32: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Thats good Chris,,,The details is whats REALLY important in cases.

message 33: by David (new)

David Staniforth (DavidStaniforth) | 53 comments Nice to know the details are grabbing you, Chris.

Fuel to the Fire is already free in all Amazon markets on a permanent basis. Therefore I was offering you the second of the trilogy, Ruler's Desire. PM me your email if you would like that, or indeed any other of my books as your prize.

I guess I had best come up with some more questions, for Jimmie :-)

message 34: by Tom (new)

Tom | 9 comments I picked this up because I haven't participated in this group lately and I was looking for a book. I am really glad I did. Thanks you for the entertaining read Mr. Staniforth. I will be checking out some of your others as well! Empathetic characters, great setting, another disease for my hypochondria and I haven't thought about Fleetwood Mac's Big Love in years!

message 35: by David (new)

David Staniforth (DavidStaniforth) | 53 comments I take it you've started and finished, Tom. Glad you found it a good read, thank you, and please feel free to ask any questions. Big Love: one of my all time favourite tracks.

Look out for the next question which Jimmie will post for a chance to win one of my other titles.

message 36: by Jimmie (new)

Jimmie | 142 comments VOID book discussion team, please see this weeks VOID question. Anyone that has not won an e-book during this months book read of VOID is eligible to win an e-book.

Q2: Name two of the songs mentioned in the book, VOID.

message 37: by Chris (new)

Chris | 379 comments I know I know Aerosmith's .... and George Ezra's ..... Jimmie your questions are way too easy you should talk to Stephanie and come up with some hard ones.

message 38: by Jimmie (new)

Jimmie | 142 comments Chris, you are already won an e-book this month. I need an answer from someone that has not previously won this month. The subsequent questions will be harder. I wanted to start slowly with the questions.

message 39: by Chris (new)

Chris | 379 comments Jimmie wrote: "Chris, you are already won an e-book this month. I need an answer from someone that has not previously won this month. The subsequent questions will be harder. I wanted to start slowly with the que..."

Just ragging you Jimmie and to prove that I am actually reading the book and not skimming through it.

message 40: by Jimmie (new)

Jimmie | 142 comments Thank you for your support and for keeping me on my toes, Chris.

message 41: by Tom (new)

Tom | 9 comments As Tears Go By - although I wasn't sure which version... I chose Marianne Faithful. And Lindsey Buckinham's Go Insane, another I haven't thought about in years.

Sorry I finished so fast David but I couldn't stop. I was also not sure of how to play. I hate reading posts and come across spoilers so I usually wait to read the thread until I'm finished. Sometimes groups read a pace like percentages or chapters.

message 42: by Jimmie (new)

Jimmie | 142 comments Congratulations Tom on winning this weeks e-book giveaway. Lindsey Buckingham is one of my favorite musicians.

message 43: by Tom (new)

Tom | 9 comments I had the pleasure of seeing Fleetwood Mac Live gosh in 1982? It was the Mirage tour.

message 44: by Chris (new)

Chris | 379 comments Tom wrote: "I had the pleasure of seeing Fleetwood Mac Live gosh in 1982? It was the Mirage tour."

Our ages are showing I remember seeing them at the Tower and Spectrum. What a great group sorry they broke up.

message 45: by David (new)

David Staniforth (DavidStaniforth) | 53 comments Congratulations,Tom. If you pm me or Jimmie your email and your choice from my other titles, i will send the file on to you.

No appology necessary for reading fast. I take it as a compliment :-)

message 46: by David (new)

David Staniforth (DavidStaniforth) | 53 comments Tom wrote: "I had the pleasure of seeing Fleetwood Mac Live gosh in 1982? It was the Mirage tour."

Not seen them live. Wish I had.

message 47: by Tom (new)

Tom | 9 comments Chris! I saw them at the Spectrum too! Wow I wish I saw them at the Tower. I saw so many concerts there is the 80's.

message 48: by Chris (new)

Chris | 379 comments OMG the best one to see at Tower was Springsteen but he loved playing the Spectrum it gave him the down home feel. Not too big or small. BTW that is when music was music you either had or not. Steve Perry from Journey but Rod Stewart was the best in the round.

message 49: by Chris (new)

Chris | 379 comments I really have to get going on this book about 60% through it. Now I don't know which way to turn in the book. Does he or doesn't he remember.

message 50: by Chris (new)

Chris | 379 comments Okay I now have another theory for the book which I started to think about after Penny's talk with Pauline.

« previous 1 3 4