Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Tangents/Off-Topic Discussions > What do you hate to read?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kris (new)

Mermaid Kris (themermaidkris) When discussing this month pick, I noticed there are some things people don't like to read about. What is yours? I generally don't like when animals dies or repeating words.

message 2: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (wildflowerz) I don't like when books go into other, ethereal-type realms. It usually happens when we're talking angels or fae. It just all gets too woo-woo for me and I just can't care.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Mermaid Kris (themermaidkris) Jenn wrote: "I don't like when books go into other, ethereal-type realms. It usually happens when we're talking angels or fae. It just all gets too woo-woo for me and I just can't care."
Interesting :) I read a lot of aliens/angels/fae books and I love them :) However I got problem with steampunk. I like the idea but czech market doesn't have so many books (or good books) of this genre so I read it in english and it is really hard for me to understand some wibly wobly things :D

message 4: by Neohgirl (last edited Jul 24, 2016 09:25PM) (new)

Neohgirl | 68 comments My personal pet peeves are when the basics get missed, and it doesn't affect the story. Like saying someone in NJ has to wait an hour to call OH because of the time difference (there isn't one). The call letters for a radio station in VT starting with a K instead of W (K only west of the Miss. River). The biggest one was a contemporary romance book whose
male lead character was a baseball player, and as a player on the visiting team won the World Series with a walk-off home run. That goes against one of the most basic rules of baseball (home team always gets the bottom half of the inning). Anything that pulls me out of the story like that, even in fantasy when the author isn't true to their own world building, makes a book nearly unreadable for me.

message 5: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Burroughs (pooks) YES. Oh to the nth degree, YES.

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 918 comments Mod
Bad Science. I'm not talking about warp drive or magic spells - those are an accepted part of the genre and necessary to storytelling. I mean really stupid things like "You only use 10% of your brain." Things it would literally take five seconds to google.

message 7: by Sheriff (new)

Sheriff Sean wrote: "Bad Science. I'm not talking about warp drive or magic spells - those are an accepted part of the genre and necessary to storytelling. I mean really stupid things like "You only use 10% of your bra..."

Well, it's not 10% of the brain, rather 10% of the POTENTIAL of the brain, is what they generally mean.

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 918 comments Mod
Sheriff wrote: "Well, it's not 10% of the brain, rather 10% of the POTENTIAL of the brain, is what they generally mean. "

Nope. Total urban myth and a gross misunderstanding of neuroscience. Your brain evolved over millions of years to run your body and keep you alive – no more, no less.. It works as well as it's going to. http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/1...

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura (theloudlady) | 180 comments Jenn wrote: "I don't like when books go into other, ethereal-type realms. It usually happens when we're talking angels or fae. It just all gets too woo-woo for me and I just can't care."

I feel yeah, I can not get into Angel Myth and Lore specifically, no idea why.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura (theloudlady) | 180 comments Sean wrote: "Bad Science. I'm not talking about warp drive or magic spells - those are an accepted part of the genre and necessary to storytelling. I mean really stupid things like "You only use 10% of your bra..."

I am still upset about the movie Lucy.

message 11: by Sheriff (new)

Sheriff Sean wrote: "Nope. Total urban myth and a gross misunderstanding of neuroscience. Your ..."

There's a difference between potential and usage. You can have an underclocked CPU using 100% of it, but doesn't mean that it doesn't have the potential to be overclocked and outperform. But this is kind of off-topic.

As for what annoys me, I can't really think of much right now, but off the top of my head; I hate it when Novels shift narrative, I want to read what happens to the PROTAGONIST, not some random other character who (to me) isn't as important, even if it is world/plotbuilding.. When I'm re-reading a book I'm not really annoyed by it as much, since I generally know what happens (through the haze of my horrible memory) so I'm not in a rush to get back to the protagonist and can appreciate the side stories/characters' plot development.

Sanderson does a good job of having engaging characters so you're not really that jilted by the end of a certain viewpoint chapter, but even then sometimes you just want to go back to the main character as fast as possible and can't wait for the chapters to end..

I have stopped reading books before, when there were too many non-protagonist viewpoint chapters between the protagonist viewpoint ones.

Another thing that mildly affects me is mentions of Gods/Dieties/Afterlife, it takes some mental gymnastics on my part to go "this is fantasy fiction, Gods could and do exist," but even still it's weird for me when people pray in fiction. I hate zealots, and religions in fiction tend to create them.. But religions are relevant to worldbuilding.

message 12: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 15 comments I am so over steampunk. It was fun for a while but just stop now. I want a nice steamy vampire (or any sexy being) in a past location. I am so tired of wind up this and wind up that. I want real men not machines

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (stormfire298) | 52 comments One of the reasons why I struggle to read Game of Thrones was because of how often they switched characters. I read it close to when it first came out and keep trying to go reread it and the newer ones and just hate it. I am interested in the politics and the stories but just can't take it.

And specifically there's something about Robert Jordan's writing that I can't pin point but I hate it.

Lastly, I am okay with violence and brutalization if it's not just there to throw a wrench into a plot. If something comes from it and characters develop or have to do something about it I'm okay. Occasionally I will run across something that just feels like it was written just to add diversity or something.