Star Wars Bookworms Book Club discussion

Bloodline (Star Wars)
This topic is about Bloodline

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aaron, Jedi Master (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aaron Goins (avgoins) | 213 comments Mod
Bloodline added a number of new characters into the Star Wars canon as well as gave us insights into existing characters. How did you like the new characters? Did you feel like characters like Han and Leia met your expectations?

Daniel (jediobiwan) | 11 comments Han and Leia were great in Bloodline. It made them being apart in TFA seem much more real and realistic than it had just going in to the movie with no backstory on their relationship.

Korr Sella was a bit of a gut punch since we knew her fate the entire time. Good character but kinda tragic due to the outcome. Definitely made the Hosnian Prime scene matter more.

Joph was a good character but Greer was really more the focus which led to some great character development.

Rinnrivin Di seemed like a good if not terribly fleshed out crime lord.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Wishman Nalan I thought Leia was written so perfectly. Gray captured her voice and her personality. Nothing took me out of the book, and so many details enhanced the original trilogy and The Force Awakens. Han and Leia's relationship was portrayed in such a satisfying way; Gray stayed true to their personalities while still showing how they are still deeply in love.

I also loved the new characters. I love how Gray develops her characters. She is able to show their inner motivations and backstory in such an enriching way. Ransolm Casterfo was incredible. I really hope we get more on him.

Derek Gatz (derekgatz) | 96 comments I'm listening to the audio book and the voices are so terrible it's making me hate all the characters.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Wishman Nalan Derek wrote: "I'm listening to the audio book and the voices are so terrible it's making me hate all the characters."

Really? I liked the audiobook. I thought January LaVoy did a good job. I especially liked her Leia.

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott Mobley | 36 comments I've gotta say I enjoyed her performance overall too. Her Leia was spectacular, but I will concede that some weren't as awesome. Her Han, for instance, left much to be desired, but overall a great performance. I think much of that had to do with a woman doing a man's voice, but it doesn't work well in the other direction either. Lol

Douglas (hawks5999) | 11 comments Was going to say the same as Scott. It's rare that narrative performers can execute opposite gender characters without it sounding like parody or caricature. I suspect that men can accept someone like a Marc Thompson affecting a feminine voice easier and women the opposite.

message 8: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Wishman Nalan Douglas wrote: "Was going to say the same as Scott. It's rare that narrative performers can execute opposite gender characters without it sounding like parody or caricature. I suspect that men can accept someone l..."

You took the words right out of my mouth! I listen to a lot of audiobooks, and it's pretty rare a single narrator can capture both male and female characters. I really like Marc Thompson and January LaVoy as Star Wars narrators.

message 9: by Derek (last edited Jun 25, 2016 11:39AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Derek Gatz (derekgatz) | 96 comments I was going to compare her to Marc Thompson lol.. I did not like her Leia, it sounded like she was doing a man doing a female voice. The Han and 3p0 is what ruined it. I would rather hear January just read the book without the characters voices.. I just got the hard copy, I think it will sound better in my own head.

Derek Gatz (derekgatz) | 96 comments I miss the books when they would get different people to do different voices.

message 11: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Wishman Nalan Derek wrote: "I miss the books when they would get different people to do different voices." That's funny, because I HATE those ensemble readings :) To each their own!

message 12: by Aaron, Jedi Master (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aaron Goins (avgoins) | 213 comments Mod
Overall I thought the audio book was great. The narrator did a perfect Leia and was great as Casterfo and Rinnrivin Di. Her take on Han and Joph were a little off for me

Myles Fletcher | 5 comments Aaron wrote: "Overall I thought the audio book was great. The narrator did a perfect Leia and was great as Casterfo and Rinnrivin Di. Her take on Han and Joph were a little off for me"

Yeah, She struggled a little with some of the male characters.
Joph was cringingly bad.

Paloma | 4 comments I am currently reading Bloodlines and I love it, I think that the characters are portrayed amazingly.

message 15: by Pete (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pete Hale (petehale) HATERS GONNA HATE ME ALERT

Most disappointing book ever. A even bigger sign that canon is out of steam (if it ever blew any out in the first place.)

Paloma | 4 comments I will say in the beginning it was a little disappointing but I liked the rest.

Karen (rhyta) | 7 comments I really liked her narration in Lost Stars and Bloodline carried that on, I finished it in a couple of afternoons, very entertaining.