Start by marking “Bloodline (Star Wars)” as Want to Read:
Bloodline (Star Wars)

Bloodline

(Star Wars Disney Canon Novel)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  16,926 ratings  ·  2,163 reviews
Witness the birth of the Resistance

When the Rebellion defeated the Empire in the skies above Endor, Leia Organa believed it was the beginning to a lasting peace. But after decades of vicious infighting and partisan gridlock in the New Republic Senate, that hope seems like a distant memory.

Now a respected senator, Leia must grapple with the dangers that threaten
Audio CD, 13 pages
Published May 3rd 2016 by Random House Audio

·  16,926 ratings  ·  2,163 reviews

Start your review of Bloodline (Star Wars)
Khurram
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Leia is one of my faverite characters, for me she is the original warrior princess, however there was something just missing from this book. There were parts of this book that were done very well bordering on brilliant but I was just not gripped not continuing to read it I read a chapter then went off and did something else this is not really a page turner of a book it moves at the speed of the Senate's decision making process.

Claudia Gray did an excellent job of portraying Leia. I t
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/05/19/...

I fell in love with Claudia Gray’s Star Wars: Lost Stars last year, and so you can imagine my excitement when I learned that she would be penning a second book in the new canon, this time an adult novel about Princess Leia herself. And Gray certainly does not disappoint. With Star Wars: Bloodline, she has established herself as a new powerhouse author in the world of Star Wars fiction and become one of my favorite tie-in writers.

Taking pla
Bradley
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 2016-shelf
I decided to read this for three reasons.

My love for the Star Wars universe is deep and wide, but not wide enough to devour every novel that comes out, so this only brings me so far.

My second reason is that other reviewers have raved about this title, so that makes me warm up inside and open my mind to new possibilities.

And the third reason, the one that tipped me over the edge? Well, it's Claudia Gray. I read Lost Stars last year and was very, very impressed. Not only did sh
Caleb Huett
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves
Claudia Gray cements her position as the best modern Star Wars author by following up the fantastic LOST STARS with the possibly even better BLOODLINE.

In BLOODLINE, she finally gets the chance to show off what she can do with major canon characters and absolutely nails it. Leia's voice is perfect. Han's voice is great. Even more interesting, though, is her ability to introduce new characters as vivid and real as any in the movies. Both of her Star Wars books deserve just as much atte
Jessica Halleck
Remember the stilted awkwardness of the Star Wars prequels? The lack of charisma? The shallowness, despite all flashy surface efforts at spectacle?

Bloodline captures that spirit completely.

Objectively, the writing is subpar. In Claudia Gray's first Star Wars book, the young adult novel Lost Stars, the tell-not-show style--while an unfortunate underestimation of the YA audience's intelligence--at least managed to feel age appropriate. The topical handling of big picture issues through a "young adult" filter/>
Amy Sturgis
There is simply no way to avoid giving this five stars. This is the Star Wars novel I've been waiting for. Here we have not only crucial and meaty backstory to help explain the inefficacy of the New Republic and the rise of the Resistance and the First Order, but also an intimate look at the many complicated forces that pulled Leia Organa, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Chewbacca into very separate lives after the defeat of the Emperor.

In addition, we learn when the rest of the galaxy discovered tha
Ashley Hiller
May 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
I've read better fan fiction, tbh. I appreciate Leia and how badass she is in this story, but the writing style leaves a lot to be desired. We don't have the constraints of a screenplay here, so there's much you could do with inner thoughts and descriptions and taking the time to really flesh people out. Unfortunately, this author didn't do that.

None of the new characters seemed especially complex to me; even Han was written as pretty oaf-ish. Leia doesn't seem overly concerned about her son ei
Book Riot Community
As a huge Leia fan, I had basically been counting down the days to this one and I’m happy to say it didn’t disappoint. Bloodline is set years prior to the events of The Force Awakens during the dissolution of the New Republic as Leia undertakes a dangerous final Senatorial mission. It’s told through the point of view of Leia, as well as her Senatorial staff, allies, and enemies. I loved getting a window into the political manoeuvrings happening in the background of all the action and friendship ...more
Lady*M
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars, thriller
4+ stars

This is a very difficult book to rate and review. Is it good? Very. As good as Lost Stars? It's different. For me personally, it was nerve wrecking, because the main character is Leia and we already know things didn't go well for her (at least those of us who have seen TFA). And at the end of the book, you know there are still more horrible things to come.

Claudia Gray understands Leia, what makes her tick, how her past influences her, her dreams, her ambitions, her love
Ryan Michael
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am newer to the new Star Wars canon novels (I've read Gray's Lost Stars and Paul Kemp's Lords of the Sith) so I don't have a whole lot to compare this one to. But shit, this was my favorite so far. The one thing I thought "The Force Awakens" lacked was the political side of things (aka when the First Order blew up five planets at once and I said to myself "bummer, but I don't know those folks"). This book gets into the details of what was going on on the political scene in the years leading up ...more
Ashley
Okay, so it's been almost two months since I finished this book, but I remember so clearly the feeling of finishing it and sort of being gobsmacked at how good it was. Not that it's flashy or anything. I'm not going to claim this book will change your life, or even change the way you look at reading or anything hyperbolic like that, but it did kind of change the way I look at Star Wars books. Claudia Gray just GETS Star Wars.

I read her first Star Wars book, Lost Stars, last year in prep fo
☣Lynn☣
Jan 17, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction, aliens
I need this sooo bad! Currently reading Lost Stars and it's perfect so far. Four months is so far away :( boooo
Mel
May 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, bought-2016
Mary
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jan 12 reread: It felt appropriate to kick off the year with Leia. RIP my princess. <3

This book was fantastic! As much as I loved the old expanded universe, it always felt like Han and Leia had a fairy tale ending that wasn't quite true to their characters or the nature of reality. This book answered some questions I had about TFA and gave some touching insight into Leia's character. Also, it was refreshing having a woman into her 40s as an action hero. :D

I also can't
Paige
Jan 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF - Got to half way and still was tedious to get through. I get what it was trying to do but the author isn't skilled enough to pull it off for me.

Check out Heir to the Empire trilogy as Leia role in that book is to a similar standard in that but is written so much better.
Wendy
I love Gray's Lost Stars for many reasons. I love this book even more for many other reasons, most of which involve utter heartbreak. This was a hard read. Mainly because, after four decades of loving the swashbuckling adventure that is the Star Wars saga, I'm slowly waking up to its reality, which TFA brought to light and Rogue One solidified. For as fun as this adventure is, there is always a cloud of darkness over it, from a 19-year-old woman watching her planet obliterated before her eyes, t ...more
rachael ♡
Holy shit. This book broke me every chapter - as a life long Star Wars fan and someone who has always looked up to Princess Leia, this was an incredibly satisfying and heartbreaking read. Leia further proves to be the emotionally strongest character of the SW franchise. She takes everything thrown at her with passion and grace and resilience. The insight into her relationships with her son, brother and husband were so beautiful and also completely devastating to me, knowing what was to come for ...more
Paz R.M.
"The sun is setting on the New Republic," Leia said. "It's time for the resistance to rise."

3.75 Stars.
♫ Staaaaaaaaaaaaaar Waaaaars, nothing but Staaaaaaaaar Waaars ♫
In the last couple of years my love and enjoyment for Star Wars has grown a lot. Yes, the original trilogy has always been there for me, but I never did venture to the expanded universe, aka the old canon, aka Legends. Now, this is going to change 'cause I'm finally going to read Heir to the Empire, but anyway that's for another time. With the j/>♫
Raoofa Ibrahim
I never thought that a Sci-Fi book could be so close to reality like this!!
---
This book is to honour the life of Leia Organa
the princess, the revolutionary, the senator, and at last the Gerneral
description description

this book took place before The Force Awakens by 6 years .. a new generation has been born, A gerneration that has never known Vader and never saw ho
Oliver
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is my second Star Wars novel I've read, the first was the novelisation of The Force Awakens.
Bloodline in one word is phenomenal. Leia was always my favourite character from the original trilogy and to follow a story from her point of view was beyond exciting. One of the biggest questions I have always asked was, how does Leia feel about Darth Vader being her father? We never got to see this relationship on screen, but here it is played out beautifully. Thankfully, too, Leia's other parents
Shadowdenizen
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
I try to be (somewhat) selective when it comes to Star Wars novels, as there's just so many of them out there to keep up with.

But there's a hanful of authors whose work in the SW Universe is unparalled (Timothy Zahn, John Jackson Miller, Drew Karpshyn, and a small number of others) and draws my immediate attention.

After "Lost Stars", Claudia Gray joined that list. I found that title to be fundamentally satisfying, and one of the best SW titles I'd read.

With "B
Maria Soares
One of the major complaints I usually see about the star wars sequel trilogy is the lack of backstory and world building. What is the First Order exactly? How did the New Republic fall so quickly?

Bloodline tries to answer some of those questions from Leia's perspective. And it does so pretty well. Gray's writing is always compelling and simple and she manages to blur the line between what we would think is the right and wrong side masterfully.

While Leia slowly understands
Neil R. Coulter
Can you read the phrase "the Napkin Bombing" without giggling? Okay, you may proceed.

I was not at all looking forward to Bloodline. In fact, I so disliked Claudia Gray's previous Star Wars novel, Lost Stars, that I was disappointed that Lucasfilm tapped her to write a significant part of the background to The Force Awakens. Lost Stars was not as bad as Chuck Wendig's Aftermath, which--I shall hope--will stand as the lowest point in Star Wars novels. But it was bad.

Bloodline was not as bad as Lost Stars. The story is more or less a by-/>
Donna
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of all the Star Wars books that I've listened to, this one was one of my favorites. I loved the story and I love the way Princess Leia was portrayed. And of course, who doesn't love Han. (Don't answer that if you can't say yes to that question.) This book by Claudia Gray had all the good "Star Wars" elements. It also wasn't excessively prone to tangents, especially where Jedis are concerned. It really was about the characters and that is always something I can get behind. So 4 stars.
Zoraida
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read Princess of Alderaan just before Bloodlines and it is so seamless and wonderful. Loved the moments with Han and made me all the more sad that they don't get their HEA.
Stephanie
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
“It was ok”
Joe
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Bloodline" is not a perfect book. There is an action deficit, Han Solo only has a cameo, and Luke Skywalker is nowhere to be found. However, I believe that given what must have been Claudia Gray's marching orders and limitations on this project, this is the best possible book we could have gotten.

To be sure, "Bloodline" is Leia's story about six years before the events of "The Force Awakens." Her son Ben is still with Luke at the Jedi Academy. Han is still a reputable business man r
Lata
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's good to see Leia in action, after she was relegated to the background in The Force Awakens.
I like the person she's become, even if she's tired, cynical and disgusted with the inaction of the Senate. This is someone who's gained a lot of experience since Return of the Jedi, and has worked hard in government for years, but also craves getting her hands dirty again.
It was heartbreaking when Leia's parentage was revealed; her despair and fury and sadness was really well written. ...more
Nicis
"The sun is setting on the New Republic," Leia said. "It's time for the Resistance to rise."

I just *clench fist* love Leia Organa so fucking much. And I want to know so much more of all of these characters, wich is a superpower that only Claudia Gray seems to have.
William Aicher
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
Great Star Wars story and one anybody interested in how the New Republic fell (leading to the rise of The First Order) should definitely read. Well-written with an excellent combination of political intrigue, backstabbing, espionage and battles, this Leia-centric story would have made an excellent film. Highly recommended.

• Star Wars: Aftermath: Empire's End (Star Wars: Aftermath, #3)
  • Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure
  • Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
  • The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
  • From a Certain Point of View (Star Wars)
  • Inferno Squad (Star Wars: Battlefront, #2)
  • Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel (Star Wars)
  • Rebel Rising (Star Wars)
  • Twilight Company (Star Wars: Battlefront, #1)
  • Phasma (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #2)
  • Canto Bight (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #1)
  • Cobalt Squadron (Star Wars)
  • A New Dawn (Star Wars)
  • Thrawn (Star Wars: Thrawn, #1)
  • Ahsoka (Star Wars)
  • Lords of the Sith (Star Wars)
  • Razor's Edge (Star Wars: Empire and Rebellion, #1)
Claudia Gray is not my real name. I didn't choose a pseudonym because my real name is unpleasant (it isn't), because I'd always dreamed of calling myself this (I haven't) or even because I'm hiding from the remnants of that international diamond-smuggling cartel I smashed in 2003 (Interpol has taken care of them). In short, I took a pseudonym for no real reason whatsoever. Sometimes this is actual ...more

Star Wars Disney Canon Novel (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • Dooku: Jedi Lost (Star Wars)
  • Master and Apprentice (Star Wars)
  • Thrawn: The Ascendancy Trilogy #1
  • The Phantom Menace (Star Wars: Novelizations, #1)
  • Queen's Shadow (Star Wars)
  • Attack of the Clones (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2)
  • The Clone Wars (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2.1)
  • Dark Disciple (Star Wars)
  • Revenge of the Sith (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3)
  • Ahsoka (Star Wars)
“When the people with authority don’t have to answer to citizens of the galaxy, the result is tyranny.” 15 likes
“She realized, then, something she had never fully understood before. She'd always wondered what had led her father to turn to the dark side, to become Darth Vader. She'd imagined it came from ambition, greed, or some other venal weakness. Never had she considered that the turn might begin in a better place, out of the desire to save someone or to avenge a great wrong. Even if it led to evil, that first impulse might be born out of loyalty, a sense of justice, or even love.” 13 likes