Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Weekly Reading > What are you reading June 20?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2088 comments Mod
Finishing up Open Seating by Mickie B. Ashling. Then next up will be Heart Ripper by K.A. Merikan.

message 2: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1917 comments Mod
I finished Sarina Bowen's new one Bittersweet last night. Hero is an apple farmer, heroine is a chef sent to buy produce from Vermont for a restaurant corporation in Boston. I enjoyed it, but the Ivy Years books are still my favorites of hers.

Lots of options next, not sure what I'm going to choose yet...

message 3: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2088 comments Mod
I agree, Manda. SB's Ivy Years series is my favorite of hers.

message 4: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (staceyissassy) | 1275 comments I'm reading Faerie Godmother: Mythic Series, Book 1. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Up next...I will finally start reading Sweet Little Lies. :-) ♥

message 5: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
My reading time is limited this week, but I did finish RaeAnne Thayne's Snowfall on Haven Point (a September release), my first Christmas book of 2016. I find Thayne comforting and remarkably consistent. Her books may not set me raving about their fabulousness, but they always leave me glad I read them.

message 6: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (cvenable16) | 136 comments Still catching up on the In Death series by JD Robb, I'm two more further than last week but several more to go. (Book 37)

message 7: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1184 comments I've read the puzzler from last week At the Bride Hunt Ball which I loved!!! And moved onto book 2 To Wed a Wicked Earl which I finished last night! So now onto book 3...Guarding a notorious lady.
Can't believe Olivia Parker only wrote three books!

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hill | 487 comments I'm trying to start reading the 1st Stone Warriors book: Damien!

message 9: by Manda (new)

Janga wrote: "My reading time is limited this week, but I did finish RaeAnne Thayne's Snowfall on Haven Point (a September release), my first Christmas book of 2016. I find Thayne comforting and remarkably consi..."

Janga, I think there are different ways to appreciate authors. Some you love for their occasional bursts of brilliance--and even though they aren't all as great as their best work, you keep reading for that possibility. But there are others, who are just consistently good--maybe not as flashily brilliant, but solid, entertaining, and sometimes moving. Some days I'm looking for the former, but sometimes I need the latter. The disappointment when a favorite, for whatever reason, doesn't measure up to their previous work can be painful. And I think they're both valid and acceptable ways of being an author. Also, as odd as it sounds, sometimes I'm in the mood for brilliance, but others I need consistency and reliability more. Sometimes it takes a lot of energy to read a brilliant book....

message 10: by Irisheyes (last edited Jun 21, 2016 03:00PM) (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments "Sometimes it takes a lot of energy to read a brilliant book.... "

I love that, Manda! LOL How true.

I was at a loss this week, but knew I wanted a western. So I opted for a comfort read - THE DOCTOR'S WIFE by Cheryl St. John.

message 11: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
Manda wrote: "Janga wrote: "My reading time is limited this week, but I did finish RaeAnne Thayne's Snowfall on Haven Point (a September release), my first Christmas book of 2016. I find Thayne comforting and re..."

How true, Manda--and so eloquently expressed. I never thought about just how exhausting interacting with brilliance can be, but do I ever know that feeling. Maybe that's why reading a brilliant book usually leaves me in a dry period that sends me back to comfort reads.

message 12: by Manda (new)

I knew you guys would understand! And good point about the dry spell after a brilliant book, Janga. I hadn't even thought of it in those terms, but it makes sense.

message 13: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (staceyissassy) | 1275 comments I feel sorry for the books I read after a brilliant book. There might be absolutely nothing wrong with it (by my normal standards) but it wasn't brilliant and you can't help but compare.

message 14: by Manda (new)

That's definitely true, Stacy!

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hill | 487 comments Stacey! Great point! I always feel so apathetic during my book hangovers that most books get lost in the "why is my last book over"!

message 16: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (staceyissassy) | 1275 comments Manda wrote: "That's definitely true, Stacy!"

Glad I'm not alone :-) ♥

Rachel wrote: "Stacey! Great point! I always feel so apathetic during my book hangovers that most books get lost in the "why is my last book over"!"

Definitely Rachel :-) ♥

message 17: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (cvenable16) | 136 comments Leigh-Ayn wrote: "I've read the puzzler from last week At the Bride Hunt Ball which I loved!!! And moved onto book 2 To Wed a Wicked Earl which I finished last night! So now onto book 3...Guarding a notorious lady.
..."

I know Leigh-Ayn! I read the series so fast, I couldn't wait to make it the next Monday Puzzler :) I too am disappointed that she hasn't written anymore books. I can't even find anything on her to see if anything is to come.

message 18: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nikanne) | 222 comments Stacey is Sassy wrote: "I feel sorry for the books I read after a brilliant book. There might be absolutely nothing wrong with it (by my normal standards) but it wasn't brilliant and you can't help but compare."

I know what you mean Stacey. I sometimes reread a book and it gets a better rating the second time around.

message 19: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (staceyissassy) | 1275 comments Nicole wrote: "Stacey is Sassy wrote: "I feel sorry for the books I read after a brilliant book. There might be absolutely nothing wrong with it (by my normal standards) but it wasn't brilliant and you can't help..."

Man, I'd have a lot of books to re-read in that case (shaking head) ;-) ♥

message 20: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nikanne) | 222 comments Stacey is Sassy wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Stacey is Sassy wrote: "I feel sorry for the books I read after a brilliant book. There might be absolutely nothing wrong with it (by my normal standards) but it wasn't brilliant and..."

LOL. I only reread when I love the rest of the series or need to remember the last one due to such a long wait between releases.

I was doing the head shake to myself as I was thinking I want to reread Christi Caldwell's Heart of a Duke series but I have no idea how to fit it in with all the new ones on the TBR pile!

message 21: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (staceyissassy) | 1275 comments Nicole wrote: "Stacey is Sassy wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Stacey is Sassy wrote: "I feel sorry for the books I read after a brilliant book. There might be absolutely nothing wrong with it (by my normal standards) but..."

I shake my head a lot when it comes to picking what's up next. I think I have equal share of ARC's to books I've bought. I try to slip in a book I've bought, but I've got a neverending pile of ARC's scheduled. If I could just forgo sleep...

I finally got around to reading Sweet Little Lies and I absolutely loved it. It's releasing next week. :-) ♥