Aussie Readers discussion

Book Related Banter > Post-Apoc set in Oz?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Blight (new)

Blight (wolfcreed) Anybody know of any?

message 2: by Elias (last edited Jun 20, 2016 02:44AM) (new)

Elias Zanbaka | 862 comments This might not be what you're looking for and is a pretty old book but you can try On the Beach by Nevil Shute [the original film adaptation is also pretty good]. You can also try Taronga by Victor Kelleher.

message 3: by Mish (new)

Mish | 3495 comments The only one i can think of atm is Red Queen by Honey Brown

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments This one comes to mind. Lexicon by Max Barry

message 5: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (cloggiedownunder) | 8061 comments One that is out at the end of this month 27th is a great read The Road to Winter by Mark Smith, set in coastal Victoria and the start of a series.
Been compared to John Marsden Tomorrow series, so perhaps this one too.

message 6: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 These are all Dystopian books set in Australia I have read (all YA I'm afraid) - there is another one, but the title is escaping me - about a nuclear attack on Australia and a girl who has to travel from Sydney to the north looking for her parents amongst the smoking ruins.

If you're techie I can recommend 'The Last Trilogy' by Michael Adams that is set in Australia (and he is Australian) - the first in the series is The Last Girl by Michael Adams The Last Girl - here is a link to my review was a 5 star read for me: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Then another end of the world type series, the Pandora series, also set in Australia, is by a Darwin Author - the first in that one is Admission (Pandora Jones, #1) by Barry Jonsberg Admission by Barry Jonsberg

Then there is another series that starts with In Strange Worlds by Brenda Cheers In Strange Worlds by Brenda Cheers

Clade by James Bradley Clade by James Bradley

Days Like This by Alison Stewart Days Like This by Alison Stewart

Here is a link to a list: http://www.michaelpryor.com.au/articl...

message 7: by Blight (new)

Blight (wolfcreed) Sally906 wrote: "These are all Dystopian books set in Australia I have read (all YA I'm afraid) - there is another one, but the title is escaping me - about a nuclear attack on Australia and a girl who has to trave..."

Thanks!

message 8: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 Just discovered the book I couldn't remember - it is:
The Sky So Heavy by Claire Zorn The Sky So Heavy by Claire Zorn

message 9: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1821 comments I was thoroughly impressed, recently by the Nightpeople series:
Nightpeople (Darklands, #1) by Anthony Eaton , Skyfall (Darklands, #2) by Anthony Eaton and Daywards (Darklands, #3) by Anthony Eaton a trilogy by Anthony Eaton.

Thoroughly impressed! I have since seen them reviewed and YA but I don't see it myself.

If you want Dystopian Australian I think you really cannot go past the innovative, complex and downright weird stories of Terry Dowling. Or rather, I should say don't go past them if you can find them; they are rare and nowhere near as well known as they should be! Wormwood is one of my most treasured books. It is Australia as it would be if not one but dozens of different species of aliens came to earth and thoroughly messed it up, the world building is unique and quintessentially Aussie.

message 10: by Blight (new)

Blight (wolfcreed) Thanks! :D

message 11: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3116 comments Deborah wrote: "I was thoroughly impressed, recently by the Nightpeople series:
Nightpeople (Darklands, #1) by Anthony Eaton , Skyfall (Darklands, #2) by Anthony Eaton and Daywards (Darklands, #3) by Anthony Eaton a trilogy by [author:Anthony Eaton|11..."

I must try Terry Dowling :)

message 13: by Stef (new)

Stef Rozitis ooooh Taronga was a really good one elias!

And Calzean, I hadn;t thought of The Swan Book as post apocalyptic but I guess it is!