Start by marking “Taronga” as Want to Read:
Taronga

Taronga

Two years after the Last Days, Australia has become a dangerous place, and a battle-ground for survival.Ben, who has a telepathic ability to control animals, leads a hazardous existence in the bush west of the Blue Mountains. Hopeful of a less brutal life, he escapes to Sydney - only to be further disillusioned. Then, at the heart of the city he comes upon Taronga Zoo, whi ...more
Published 1988 by Puffin (first published 1986)

Start your review of Taronga
An Aroused Koala
Mar 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book is the most hideious thing ever to enter the world of literature (with the possible exception of Twilight). I had to read it for school and spent every English lesson caught between a state that was somewhere between homicidal and sucidal.
The characterisation was weak (they all blurred together to create a giant 2D personality fail as far as I could see) and there was no explanation for any of the context. And just when you think it has to get better with the introduction of new
Ellen
Feb 04, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
Blah. Had to read this for school last year (2009)... I don't even want to talk about how bad I thought it was!
JM
YA science fiction. Fourteen-year-old Ben lives rough in the bush outside Sydney, surviving in the wreckage of an Australia that fell apart after global catastrophe. Ben has the strange ability to soothe and control animals, and this makes him valuable to the older and crueler boy who hunts the animals Ben Calls. But to Ben, every Call he makes is a betrayal. Trying to escape his own nature, Ben runs away to Sydney - but the city is a worse nightmare, and Ben quickly finds himself betraying agai ...more
Lin
Aug 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
DON'T READ THIS BOOK ITS THE CRAPPEST BOOK IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Albert Hurchens
Aug 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
IF YOU ARE READING THIS BOOK, BURN IT NOW AND SAVE YOURSELF THE TROUBLE!!! I am serious. I had to read this book for a school assignment and I found that it spent wayy too much time on stuff you did not want to hear about (e.g. how stripy tigers are and basically just describing things WAY TOO MANY TIMES) and not actually saying much about what you did want to hear about (e.g. what actually happened in the 'last days'??). In general, this book over-dramatized just about everything without even a ...more
Mar 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
I didn't really like this. I found the dark, brooding tone a bit pretentious and felt frustrated by the way the vague armageddon-like disaster that was supposed to have happened to the world was never really explained. The constant, non-stop action got a bit wearing, it was like a blockbuster thriller without any humour or moments of respite to release the tension. I'm guessing this is because the author assumes that the teen boys he's aiming this at will get bored if the action stops for even a ...more
Raven_23
Mar 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
Worst book known to man and woman kind I advise to put this book down and run or light a match to it. You think it's going to get better but it DOESN'T! No personality no likeability ABSOLUTELY NOTHING GOOD TO BE GAINED FROM READING IT. It's kind deserves to be destroyed and extinguished! Get it out of my sight right now!!!
Swaglord
Mar 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one ever
Recommended to Swaglord by: Dumbass school
Omg don't even get me started on this shit. I mean this book would have never had the honours of having its pages turned by my magical fingers if we didn't have to read this shit for school. Not only did I have to force myself through reading this boring book, I had to do an assessment task on it as well.
Don't read this shit. Don't even let the thought cross your mind. If you ever see this book burn it.
It makes a great firestarter
Kirsten Leigh
May 11, 2011 rated it did not like it
yeah, i read it for school..hated it...boring..no fun. way to serious, and half the time i was so confused at what was hapening. Not knowing how sydney eneded and how the 'last days' formed really irritated me. i needed a backround. really dialiked the book. and i could say more, but i don't wanna cause hate, or offend the writer. i guess it just wasen't my type of book.
Mel
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When this book was published, it was really the first of its kind. Post-apocalyptic young adult fiction, quasi-fictional? I loved it then and is one of my favourite novels; every now and then I revisit it...20 years later. I've read so many great books in my life but this is a great (pretty quick) read...nice after toiling away on a PhD and parenthood!
Leigh
Feb 28, 2009 rated it liked it
imaginings of apocalyptic sydney that i read as a kid. probably explains why i get a slighty uneasy feeling anytime i've gone to taronga since then. also nice use of the real life blue mountains big cat myth in the book.
Camille White
Jan 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
I didnt much care for this one either
Jess
Jun 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
I hated the book because I could barely understand it but maybe I was too young when I read it for school.
Mark Gee
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this read. I'm a little interested in Australian dystopian fiction. I especially liked how this narrative is connected to the landscape and reflects values of Australia's a First peoples. I'd be interested to read about how this novel works as an allegory for Australia's history / future.
Noah
Oct 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
Very boring book.
Nathan
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The end of the world as we know it is one of the greatest fears we have. Having everything we know and love taken away is a powerful fear and one that is far too real and horrific for young Ben. Victor Kelleher has constructed a terrifying glimpse into an Australia without laws and government; a world where children must fight for their survival. Taronga (1986) is a very confronting and thought provoking view of Australia after the post-apocalyptic, ‘Last Days’.

Taronga is the story o
Dec 29, 2012 rated it liked it
25/1 - Another school book, from year 8 English (I think).  I enjoyed Taronga as a 14-year-old because it was different - it was my first dystopian novel and it featured adult themes (I don't mean sex, I'd already started reading romance by that time) which was really exciting for a reader just starting to branch out from Enid Blyton.  Before starting this I only had a few vague memories of it being set at Taronga Park Zoo and that, for some reason or other, the world had come to an end.  That's ...more
Amoodz
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This isn’t so much a review of the book, but rather the memory; the recollection of a book once read. It may be badly written, as other reviewers write, but it is one book that has never left my head in the 18 or so years since I picked it up as a boy.

I grew up in Sydney; my world then was the city, the Bridge, the harbour coastline dipping in and out of mangrove tidal bays up to Parramatta – before most of the west of Rhodes was cleaned up and turned into residential land. It was a
Jade
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Taronga is about a boy called Ben who lives in future dystopian Australia, Sydney. He has telepathic abilities which allows him to communicate with animals, an ability which he feels he is abusing because he feels like he is using an discarding the animals. He finds himself running away from the abusive life he has in the bush to the city of Sydney where he lands himself into Taronga Zoo.

I really enjoyed this story, partly because we read it in school and it brought back memories, but all in al
HG
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Read this for the first time since teaching it in the early 1990s. I know why I havent taught it since. It is disturbing in the same way Hunger Games and Gone are disturbing and has the same amount of death in it but not as much action/suspense. The main character has a moral code but the rest of humanity has lost it. Lots of good discussion points about freedom etc but not a happy read.
Heather Browning
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Possibly even more interesting reading this now as a zookeeper than as an animal-loving teen, though I am now more sceptical about the safety of anyone in an environment with so many free-range animals - even most herbivores can be really dangerous if you're not careful! An original and unique post-apocalyptic story that doesn't feel at all dated.
Brooke
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-the-shelf
It's really sad to see so many people giving Taronga bad review just because they read it for school. This is a great book, it deserves better.
This is the second time I've read it and I loved it just as much now as when I was 14.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
The apocalypse has happened and Ben has survived. He has a gift; he can whisper to animals. Somehow, he makes his way to Taronga Zoo where he discovers a world gone mad, but where he can use his gift to survive and thrive. For all fans of Hunger Games.
Kay - Lee
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book in school and enjoyed it, So when looking for something to read I decided to buy this and reread it. It was better then I remembered. It's a good book which don't take long to read.
Kasey
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Read this in school and enjoyed it.
Michael
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
the ending didn't have the depth I would have liked, which could have been seen in the beginning of the book
Ruby
Feb 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Ruby by: Matthew Pearce
As I remember, it was way too political for me and a bit disappointing for a Victor Kelleher.
Nicole
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the worst book ever. I had to read it for school and everyone hated it. What ever you don't read the book
Benjamin Sellick
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
post apocalyptic fun we had to read at some point in school. Australia's 'I Am Legend', i guess.
Kellie Chanoff
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
read it in school loved it

• Two Hands Together
  • Looking for Alibrandi
  • Came Back To Show You I Could Fly
  • The Haunting
  • The Nargun and the Stars
  • Space Demons (Space Demons Trilogy, #1)
  • The Watertower
  • The Ghosts of Belfast (Jack Lennon Investigations #1)
  • Lovesong
  • In Falling Snow
  • Cristallisation Secrète
  • The Rabbits
  • The Silver Brumby
  • A Murder Unmentioned (Rowland Sinclair #6)
  • Boy Swallows Universe
  • Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow, #1)
  • Unmasked
  • Unless
Victor Kelleher is an Australian author. Victor was born in London and moved to Africa with his parents, at the age of fifteen. He spent the next twenty years travelling and studying in Africa, before moving to New Zealand. Kelleher received a teaching degree in Africa and has taught in Africa, New Zealand and Australia. While in New Zealand, he began writing part time, prompted by homesickness fo ...more