Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Serieses! > Valid series?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5034 comments https://www.goodreads.com/series/1115...

Opinions on this?

Although they're definitely all part of a multi-volume work, it seems to have been published in a number of different ways - some versions are split into 2 volumes, others 4, others into 5 (and probably more variations!). This means that not all versions listed as t.2 will contain the same material.

Chateaubriand wrote it as 12 books split into 4 sections, but I cannot find any editions (yet?) which only contain the 12 books individually, only different divisions of the work as a whole.

As it stands now, it seems to me to be more like a publisher's series, not a Goodreads series.

message 2: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments I think it is allowed to create a series page for one work published in multiple volumes (as opposed to collected works).

message 3: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5034 comments Yes, but that's usually when the split is standardised. Here the splits are coming at various points depending on the publisher and/or language. It wouldn't be appropriate to create a series for each publisher's version here, as we might do with a standard series with alternative divisions when in translation.

message 4: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Different language series often get created when they are separated differently to the original. We still sometimes make a series for stuff like this, to help prevent disparate editions being combined.

You can use names like Book Title, Part 1 of 12 (Series Name 1 of 12)

If you don't put it also in the title (outside the parentheses) then anyone hitting autocombine would just combine all the part 1's.

message 5: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5034 comments Different divisions happen in the same language though.

Would you count them as 1-42 (although called "books" they were never published as 42 separate books)?

The original division was 42 titles in 12 volumes in 4 parts.

Modern editions have
2 volumes
5 volumes
4 volumes (as in the link)

Oh, and not all 4 volume editions break between the "books" at the same point.

message 6: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Oh no, it's simpler than that. Here's how I would do it:

2 volumes:
Book Title, Parts 1-20 (Series Title, #1 of 2) or
Book Title, Parts 21-42 (Series Title, #2/2) (Or however they're actually split, either format is in use, but pick one and be consistent)

5 volumes:
Book Title, Parts 1-10 (Series Title, #1/5)
Book Title, Part 11-16 (Series Title, #2/5) (I'm using random numbers here for the part splits, but you get the idea)

and so on.

The point of a series here is a) To make sure part 1 of the 2 volume set is never combined with part 1 of the 4 or 5 volume sets, etc
b) Let people find the rest of the editions of the actual set they're reading, or failing that, figure out which other set of editions they can continue with.

Link each from the original (it's quite ok to have multiple series with the same name) i.e., the one that you linked to. And yes, it's perfectly ok to put 1 of 2 or 1/2 in the series numbering, we do it all the time. And you can explain the numbering in the description too with something like "Originally published in 4 volumes, later printings split into variously 2, 4 or 5 volumes"

I know there are tons of books that are split up this way, but the only one I can come up with off the top of my head as an example is The Lord of the Rings at https://www.goodreads.com/series/6617... -- expand the description, you'll see the 7 volume version is linked to from there, while the two most common versions, with it split in three, or published as one volume is in the main series ... this is a very similar case, it's just got more variants. And it's in French :)

message 7: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5034 comments Ah, that makes sense now :)