What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA Fantasy: Orphaned girl kidnapped by sword wielding people from the hills [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lexi (last edited Jun 18, 2016 09:45PM) (new)

Lexi (nyxia) | 46 comments I read this book around 2002 or 2003. The main character is a girl who has just been orphaned and moves to a region of the country that is a desert. She moves there because that is where her brother is posted and she is being taken into the home of some of the people he works for. She falls in love with the desert climate and find she doesn't miss the greenery of her old home.
This region is on the border of the country and the reason her brother is there is because he is part of some kind of political group trying to establish relations or monitor the border. I believe they are considered less civilized because those neighboring peoples use swords instead of guns and very little is known about their culture except that they practice some kind of strange magics.
The main character is kidnapped by a group of these natives after they come to speak with the people she is staying with, which goes badly. I remember that the magic they have is reflected in there eyes and they have amazing horses. I believe she was kidnapped because she has some of this magic and they are facing a war with an army of nonhuman creatures.
Thanks for any help!

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue Elleker | 767 comments The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley. There is a companion book set during historical times of the country-The Hero and the Crown.

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
The Blue Sword for the click for Sue's suggestion. And I'm going to second, third and possibly fourth that suggestion, since that's what sprang to my mind instantly too.

message 4: by Teri-K (new)

Teri-K | 301 comments Yep, The Blue Sword. A really fun book. :)

message 5: by Lexi (new)

Lexi (nyxia) | 46 comments Thanks for your help! The Blue Sword is definitely the right book. I had forgotten about Robin Mckinley. After looking through her books, I have found some other favorites I want to reread. Thanks! :)