World, Writing, Wealth discussion

The Lounge: Chat. Relax. Unwind. > Game for a bar, anyone? -:)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13467 comments I think this should be harmonious with Saturday's spirit.
The politicians may use harsh rhetoric, the sanctions may be imposed between the countries, but the ties and fondness between the people may still flourish. Don't know if it's a good example, but you shall decide for yourself:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...
Apparently someone thought that Barack Obama's name can bring people to a night club in Russia.
May not be the best, but not the worst night club either, I can testify as someone who's been there a while ago.
Has anyone encountered VladPutin's pubs or XiJinping's parties (not the Communist one)?

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Wow lol! First round on me.

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13467 comments Tara wrote: "Wow lol! First round on me."

That's the spirit. I'll offer second then -:)

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Two rounds! I shouldn't have worn heels ha ha :)

message 5: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13467 comments Yeah, just about to start dancing on the bar stand barefoot -:)

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Lol Obama is quite a good dancer. Maybe my future path is clear.

message 7: by Mike (last edited Jun 19, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments I do have a fried chicken joint near me called Obama's. I thought maybe it was an investment for after his 2nd term.

If anyone knows an easy-going, inclusive, non-ethnic, un-ideological, un-ageist and friendly bar where one can discuss books in Manhattan, I'm up for it. If Barack and Michelle are dancing on the counter that's fine, provided they don't spill my caipirinha. (The bar MUST make good ones.)

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Ha ha you've almost described my living room. Except I don't serve piranhas.

message 9: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments I like to have piranhas around when I've popped out for a bite.

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Lol - do describe what's in your fave drink :)

message 11: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13467 comments Mike wrote: "If anyone knows an easy-going, inclusive, non-ethnic, un-ideological, un-ageist and friendly bar where one can discuss books in Manhattan, I'm up for it...."

If there is one, a friend of mine from Manhattan can give heads-up. The problem is that he always recommends places, where you are likely to continue discussing books with a young female company in a more private atmosphere later -:)

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Well I guess that covers friendly.

message 13: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13467 comments And easy-going, inclusive and un-ideological -:)

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments And don't forget the piranhas.

message 15: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments Tara wrote: "Lol - do describe what's in your fave drink :)"

I actually do like caipirinhas - they're made of sugar-cane liquor called cachaça, with added limes and sugar. But it does seem only a Brazilian bartender can get them right. They are also one hell of a way to get a hangover. I happened to be doing research in Brazil on my 48th birthday and went out with an Australian scientist - I can't remember much about it but I do remember the next morning, although I'd rather not.

I love American craft beers but enjoy Belgian ones now and then at a strange bar in the East Village called Burp Castle. It's dark and gloomy and has a quiet rule, so is a very good place to talk books - you can actually hear yourself drink, sorry think.

message 16: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13467 comments -:)
Caipirinhas are cool. Used to have frequent supply from Brazilian friends in the uni, but that was years ago... Too bad when the after-effects are more memorable than the drinking session -:)

There is a tendency in the recent years to open Library bars. I don't know whether they are connected somehow or offer a similar concept, but they operate in at least a number of countries. Booze and books together do have some charm

message 17: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments Yes, there's a nice one in the old whaling town of Hudson, a few hours upstate. British pubs are occasionally lined with books but they're generally treated as decoration only, which is a pity.

message 18: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13467 comments Yep, mostly decoration, but... It's not hard to notice that the space occupied by book shelves in book stores shrink all the time. Some re-orient it to other merchandise, some started opening cafes within the stores. Can pubs come next? Well, I've seen something like this in a jeans store, so won't be surprised... I can't imagine people watching NBA finals or Euro championship in the book store, but some other concept may be compatible

message 19: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments Like this one in Paris.

http://www.inc.com/justin-bariso/this...

It's a bookshop without books; you'll order what you want and it will be whacked out of a digital bookprinter called an Espresso. There is actually at least one shop in NYC with an Espresso, but they haven't majored on this business model. It's very interesting.

message 20: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13467 comments That's a cool idea. Thanks for bringing the link! PoD store, nice

message 21: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13467 comments Well Trump is already a brand with many places bearing it.
And it's probably still possible to order a shot of Trump in places named after Obama.
Point is - that Friday again predisposes towards drinking associations, if anyone's game -:)

message 22: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments Yoou're some hours ahead of me but I shall join you for a drink once we hit midday in New York, which will be in about an hour. I have a day off today and am spending it peacefully working on a blog post about Stefan Zweig; I am sure a nice dark Leffe would make it go with a swing.

message 23: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13467 comments Mike wrote: "Yoou're some hours ahead of me but I shall join you for a drink once we hit midday in New York, which will be in about an hour...."

That long I can wait! A blog post soaked in beer sounds much better than just a blog post -:)

message 24: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13467 comments Refueling with Glen, if anyone wants to join

message 25: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments I'm on my fourth Guinness and listening to the birds settle down. Great evening... :)

message 26: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13467 comments Birds or neighbors' drones? -:) Cheers!

message 27: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments Hic... Birds are now roosting... Drones? ... Drones hopefully are parked, but who knows...? I live in Hebron Wales, not Hebron West Bank... :D

message 28: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13467 comments Just checking whether the drinking crew is in attendance -:)
Beers, Beluga chaser anyone?

message 29: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) I'm here. What's happening?

message 30: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments Nik wrote: "Mike wrote: "Yoou're some hours ahead of me but I shall join you for a drink once we hit midday in New York, which will be in about an hour...."

That long I can wait! A blog post soaked in beer so..."

The blog post did get done but took nearly another three months. Must have been the beer.
http://mikerobbinsnyc.blogspot.com/20...

message 31: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments Matthew wrote: "I'm here. What's happening?"

I'm drinking a cheap but pleasant Malbec.

message 32: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) It's a bit early here, but I got some favorite hefeweizen doppelbocks for later. So what's this about Putin's pubs and Xi Jinping parties? I consider myself totally ignorant of these, mainly because I am! :)

message 33: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5332 comments No Uber here, so I don't go to bars any more. Police go for easy pickings, and .08 is enough to get arrested.

message 34: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) Scout wrote: "No Uber here, so I don't go to bars any more. Police go for easy pickings, and .08 is enough to get arrested."

So... you get liquored up at home?

message 35: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13467 comments Matthew wrote: "... So what's this about Putin's pubs and Xi Jinping parties? I consider myself totally ignorant of these, mainly because I am! :)"

I've been to BarackObama lounge bar in Saint Petersburg (Russia), so I thought there might be other places on the planet named mockingly or not after politicians -:)
I imagine Che might have a few places named after him..

message 36: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) Nik wrote: "Matthew wrote: "... So what's this about Putin's pubs and Xi Jinping parties? I consider myself totally ignorant of these, mainly because I am! :)"

I've been to BarackObama lounge bar in Saint Pet..."

I doubt any places in Russia are named after Putin, and in a mocking way. Those kind of antics are sure to get you jailed and.or poisoned! As for in other countries, I think a name like Putinpub or some variation thereof would seem creep :)

message 37: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13467 comments Matthew wrote: "I doubt any places in Russia are named after Putin, and in a mocking way. Those kind of antics are sure to get you jailed and.or poisoned! As for in other countries, I think a name like Putinpub or some variation thereof would seem creep :) ..."

The establishment pretends to be reasonably tolerant towards humor -:) Just some examples, but I guess a knowledge of Russian might be essential for them being enjoyable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3GEk...
https://rutube.ru/video/b21d7e3da3e6c...

Probably purely coincidental, but it's among the real opponents the 'accident rate' may be a little higher

message 38: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) Nik wrote: "Probably purely coincidental, but it's among the real opponents the 'accident rate' may be a little higher.

Not sure I understand what you mean here. In Russia, the "accident rate" is higher for political opponents? Is that what you are saying?

message 39: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13467 comments Matthew wrote: "Nik wrote: "Probably purely coincidental, but it's among the real opponents the 'accident rate' may be a little higher.

Not sure I understand what you mean here. In Russia, the "accident rate" is ..."

That's an impression sometimes..

message 40: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5332 comments Very interesting.

The Wonder Bar in Mexico Beach, Florida, was demolished in 2007 but, while it stood, it was a great place on the water with strong drinks, interesting people, and fun karaoke on Thursday nights.

message 41: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13467 comments Scout wrote: "strong drinks, interesting people, and fun karaoke on Thursday nights. ..."

Something we can use. Going downstairs to mix myself some vodka and juice, in case anyone wants join. Hope I'll refrain from singing later on..

message 42: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5332 comments Sing, dance, be happy.

message 43: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13467 comments Speaking of which... just started a glass of red wine, if anyone's comfy enough with time zones to join...

message 44: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5332 comments I'd love to hear a song you like. Post a link if you can.

message 45: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13467 comments For the sake of the political correctness, we'll let youtube dedicate one to Trump https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lktuR... and another to Putin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3GEk...
No collusion here -:)
If anyone has a song, where Xi Jinping is starring, we'd appreciate

message 46: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13467 comments A drink and football(soccer) for me tonight, if anyone feels like joining

message 47: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5332 comments Well, Nik, I asked for a song you listen to. Was either of those something you sit around and listen to? I hope not, but maybe so.
Here's something to listen to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjZdv...

message 48: by Nik (last edited Nov 04, 2017 11:23AM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 13467 comments Scout wrote: "Well, Nik, I asked for a song you listen to. Was either of those something you sit around and listen to? I hope not, but maybe so.
Here's something to listen to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj..."

Good one, thanks, and goes excellently with the drinks -:)

message 49: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5332 comments Glad you enjoyed. Started reading your novel, about 60 pages in. This should be on the sound track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZgBh...

Also good for drinking when melancholy :)

message 50: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13467 comments Scout wrote: "Glad you enjoyed. Started reading your novel, about 60 pages in. This should be on the sound track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZgBh...

Also good for drinking when melancholy :)"

Too bad most books don't come with a soundtrack) When this tech achievement kicks in, I'll be ready! Thanks for all the music. Hope the book is sufficiently repulsive to be a little enjoyable)

« previous 1