Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Books of the Month, July 2016 - The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet & The Magicians

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nic, Wormhole Technician (new)

Nic Margett (enn_eye_cee) | 353 comments Mod
The winners for July are:

The Magicians for fantasy & The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet for sci-fi.

Book discussion may start at ANY point during the month. There will also be 'overall' discussion threads as more members finish the books - anyone can create these!

message 2: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
Read them both! Long Way more recently so I'll definitely chat along - however I've been wanting to re-read The Magicians before finishing the tv series.

message 3: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Kirsty Cabot (kirstycabot) | 1884 comments Mod
YAY so glad Long Way won. I read it very recently so deffo happy to join in the chats on that :)

message 4: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Definitely a book I've been looking forward to

message 5: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Paul wrote: "Definitely a book I've been looking forward to"

I always try not to build up books too much. BUT ITS SO GOOD.

I hope everyone enjoys it!!!

message 6: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

I have to say I much prefer the more "modern" looking cover, rather than the 80s clipart titled cover haha.

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1) by Becky Chambers The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1) by Becky Chambers

message 7: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
I have the modern look cover. Havent seen the other one anywhere, is it the US one or an early edition

message 8: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

I'm not sure, but annoying it's the default one on GR because I think the other one is just lovely.

message 9: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

I think it's the original independently pubbed one? I have a feeling she was picked up by Hodder afterwards.

message 10: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 413 comments I'm happy with both winner, but as I can easily find The Magicians at my library, this will be my pick.

message 11: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 803 comments I grabbed The Magicians from Audible when it was on sale. I'll have to look for Angry Planet.

message 12: by Rick (new)

Rick Long way is one of my fave SF reads of the last couple years. Will be fun to talk about it.

message 13: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 150 comments I have the Magicians and have been meaning to read it so i hope to participate. I am interested in seeing how people like Small Angry Planet but I dont think I'll get my hands on it for next month.

message 14: by Susie (new)

Susie  (susiend104) | 265 comments Lev Grossman's writing isn't for me, but you all have me quite intrigued by The Long Way! I've been watching for US deals, though Amazon has it listed as Out of Print - Limited Availability. Perhaps I'll break down and buy it for Kindle... but my July is going to be crazy anyway.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahcd89) | 39 comments Found The Magicians at the discount bookstore this weekend. Puts it next on the list once I finish my local book club's book, The Girl With All the Gifts.

message 16: by Elma (new)

Elma (elmavz) | 22 comments I read The Magicians not too long ago so I'll be sitting July out - I didn't enjoy it enough to re-read.

I'll maybe look into Small Angry Planet if my fantasy to-reads allow time to do so.

message 17: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

My 'to read' list for July is going to go insane. I want to carry on with the Outlander series, re-read ASOIAF, read at least one BotM, defeat July's DC vs Marvel villain... and then there's the review copies - hopefully some of those books will fit the challenges anyway!

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 641 comments I'm still debating which one I'm going to read.
My local library has The Magicians, but The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet sounds more interesting to me.

message 19: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

message 20: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 413 comments Cool! I just bought it, thanks.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 641 comments Kirsty wrote: "The long way is

£1.99 on Kindle in the UK

$2.89 in the USA

and CDN$2.99"

I'm seeing $9.99 for Kindle US :(
When I clicked on your link it said "title not available for purchase"

message 22: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Oh how weird!! I went on to Amazon.com - maybe it goes by where it's accessed :/ sorry!

message 23: by Susie (new)

Susie  (susiend104) | 265 comments Sarah wrote: "I'm seeing $9.99 for Kindle US :(
When I clicked on your link it said "title not available for purchase""

Yup, me too. And then the paperback edition is a bit more (plus shipping), and not available until July 5th. What does the US have against this book?! Maybe the ebook will get cheaper when this version of the paperback comes out? Shrug, I'll find it eventually!

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 641 comments Kirsty wrote: "Oh how weird!! I went on to Amazon.com - maybe it goes by where it's accessed :/ sorry!"

It's ok, not your fault Amazon can be weird.

Susie wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I'm seeing $9.99 for Kindle US :(
When I clicked on your link it said "title not available for purchase""

Yup, me too. And then the paperback edition is a bit more (plus shipping), a..."

Yeah, seriously! Its really annoying.

message 25: by Greg (new)

Greg | 1078 comments I'm not really one for ebooks so I'll get the paperback after the July 5th release in the US. Not sure if I'll get my copy in the mail in time to finish it during July, but hopefully I will!

message 26: by Alex (new)

Alex Already read the magicians series, but I'll probably jump in the conversation

message 27: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 2000 comments Mod
Boo, my library is letting me down, they don't have any copies of The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet, one of the only times they've let me down for a BOTM

message 28: by Sarah (last edited Jun 21, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

Sarah | 641 comments Roger wrote: "Boo, my library is letting me down, they don't have any copies of The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet, one of the only times they've let me down for a BOTM"

Mine doesn't either (though there have been a number of our BotM books my library hasn't had, heavy sigh), which is why I'm undecided. I would have to buy The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet.
And I'm trying to be on a budget because I'm going on a trip to Ireland in August and I want to have plenty of spending money for that.
Decisions, decisions.

message 29: by Rick (last edited Jun 21, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

Rick For those on the fence, I'll just say that A Long Way.... was one of my favorite books last year and I wholeheartedly recommend it. Of course you're not me so, some details...

It's very much about the characters rather than a complex or twisty plot. Think Firefly in this respect - each of the characters felt developed, with their own personality and the interactions between them felt real. In contrast, the plot is really an excuse to spend time with the characters - the ship creates wormhole endpoints and takes on a job to create one very near the center of the galaxy near a planet about which not a lot is known. It's a long trip. Things happen, as they do, and we see the crew react and interact.

Whether one likes this or not will be dependent on how you like the characters. The writing is good and made it easy to envision what was happening and, like I've said, the characters are well-drawn.

one other advantage of the book is that it's self-contained, not the start of a series so there aren't cliffhangers. We could definitely spend more time in this universe, even with these characters, but the story is complete.

message 30: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (last edited Jun 21, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

Rick wrote: "For those on the fence, I'll just say that A Long Way.... was one of my favorite books last year and I wholeheartedly recommend it. Of course you're not me so, some details...

It's very much about..."

A good summary!

Though just to point out as a fun fact, A Closed and Common Orbit is a stand alone sequel following a different thread - out in October!

DISCLAIMER! Don't read the blurb on the second book - mild spoilers!

message 31: by Myriel (new)

Myriel | 13 comments Although I haven't voted on the BOTM, I think I'll join you with The long way ... I just ordered the ebook at amazon for € 2,49.

message 32: by Greg (new)

Greg | 1078 comments It looks like the ebook isn't available yet in the US either. Has anyone in the US been able to get it? I'm thinking the ebook will be released July 5th too.

message 33: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 803 comments Like you, Greg, I opted to order the print version. I *should* get it the day of release, July 5th. We'll see.

message 34: by Rick (new)

Rick huh? The ebook of Long Way has been out for a while. Amazon has it ($10 for the US folks)...

message 35: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 427 comments I should get Long Way in the next week or so from the library, and have already read Magicians. I didn't care for it, but I am looking forward to the discussion :o)

message 36: by Greg (new)

Greg | 1078 comments Rick wrote: "huh? The ebook of Long Way has been out for a while. Amazon has it ($10 for the US folks)..."

Thanks Rick - I see that now; I'll probably pre-order a paperback for the July 5th release instead, but I see the ebook is available for Kindle at $10 now as you say.

message 37: by LittleBookDruid (new)

LittleBookDruid | 89 comments Haven't heard of The Long Way before and this thread makes me feel how clueless of sci-fi genre I actually am. That's why this club is so helpful to me, because I wasn't much of a sci-fi reader before and now finding tons of great books.
As for The Magicians, it has been on my TBR pile for so long, can't wait to start it with you all. I have my kind of biggest in the year religious festival in 6th this month. So any reading can happen after that.
Just hope the chat doesn't explode too much to even catch up before that.

message 38: by LittleBookDruid (new)

LittleBookDruid | 89 comments Rick wrote: "For those on the fence, I'll just say that A Long Way.... was one of my favorite books last year and I wholeheartedly recommend it. Of course you're not me so, some details...

It's very much about..."

Now I am completely sold. I am a sucker for more character driven anything. The sole reason I am such a Naughty Dog fangirl.
So I will definitely read this one too.... :D

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.