Start by marking “The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers #1)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  35,052 Ratings  ·  6,364 Reviews
Follow a motley crew on an exciting journey through space—and one adventurous young explorer who discovers the meaning of family in the far reaches of the universe—in this light-hearted debut space opera from a rising sci-fi star.

Rosemary Harper doesn’t expect much when she joins the crew of the aging Wayfarer. While the patched-up ship has seen better days, it offers her
Published August 13th 2015 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published July 29th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet, please sign up.
Jeanie It reminded me of an amalgamation of both Farscape and Firefly. In other words, if you liked those TV shows, you might find this enjoyable. There was…moreIt reminded me of an amalgamation of both Farscape and Firefly. In other words, if you liked those TV shows, you might find this enjoyable. There was very good world building, good alien characters and engaging story line.(less)
Phillip Sawyer frequent f words and others and some inter-species sex but not explicit.

Anna
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
10 reasons I love The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet:

1. Feel-good science fiction. Bad things happen. Injustice exists. And yet, the world is a mostly beautiful and good place. Bad people exist, but people in general are mostly nice and almost always interesting. It’s a truly heart-warming novel.

2. It’s a great big world. There are all these interesting alien species, with interesting cultures and history which affect their society. If you love well-written settings where the lore isn’t a bunc
Em
Jan 27, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqia-rep

I heard this book was about gays in space. I'm gay and I think space is cool. seems like a no brainer
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Update: 11-1-16 $1.99 on kindle. Not sure for how long

I freaking loved this book! And yes, I cried! It was good crying though!

I always get nervous reading a sci-fi book because I'm afraid I won't know what's going on - and yes I say that every time. BUT <--- this book is so awesome. A couple of things went over my head but who cares!

I had no clue what a sci-fi soap opera was but if they are all like this book then I want to read more. I'm going to be buying this one and I did pre-order the
Ed
Mar 13, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
This was really, really not my cup of tea and I threw in the towel 2/3 of the way in. I was surprised at how disappointing it was given that I picked it up on the basis of the normally dependable Adam Roberts' recommendation in his end of year 2015 round-up in the Guardian.

I understand the desire to move SF from plot-driven narratives to character-driven narratives but you are throwing the baby out with the bathwater if your character-driven narrative doesn't actually contain any characters wort
Bradley
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to me as a cure for the heavy, blood and guts diet that's so prevalent in today's SF/F, I was more than just a little bit interested in an antidote.

What I found, instead, was a heartily tasty meal of perfectly prepared insects aboard the Wayfarer, enjoying wonderful conversations and a surprisingly diverse collection of humans, aliens, and a truly beautiful soul within an AI.

I mean, this is space-opera. Don't get the wrong idea. There's a couple of tight spots, thievery and tragic de
Maxwell
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own-it, 2016

If you're looking for an action-packed, page-turning adventure story, this book is not for you. However, if you want a sci-fi novel that delivers wonderful characters and thoughtful commentary on existence, you've found the right book.

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet is something unique. It blends literary and science fictions into a story that looks at what it means to be human--or alien--amidst a world of chaos.

And while I really enjoyed reading about these characters and their q
Carol.
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carol. by: Paul Sparks
Niceness is undervalued. In an age of cynicism, we believe very little is done altruistically: this politician is facilitating an international adoption for campaign-fodder; that site is offering $1.99 books to boost web traffic; that church is holding a Sunday neighborhood BBQ to evangelize. Our stories show similar cynicism. We've embraced tortured dark heroes, we give five stars to stories sympathizing with killers and rapists, and although we believe a good guy can still win, the only way he ...more
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
4.5 A great feel-good sci-fi and character-driven story that explores gender, race, politics, and sexuality.
There were some great friendships, I giggled a few times and it was an oddly relaxing read!

I need to pick up the next one!
Charlotte May
“Humans, we’ve got something dangerous in us. We almost destroyed ourselves because of it.”

4.5 stars ⭐
Outstanding! I’ve officially been converted to sci fi!

Until this book I’ve never enjoyed sci fi. This has completely changed my view of sci fi and it is flipping awesome!

Some of the most imaginative world building and characterisations I’ve ever come across. The crew of the Wayfarer were amazing and I loved them all in their own way. The relationships were fantastic, both platonic and romant
Kevin Kelsey
Posted at Heradas

I’ve never read a book quite like this. There wasn’t much of a story at all, but it was still engaging just on the strength of the characters alone. Each chapter felt like a moral-of-the-week episode in a nineties TV series. The overall arc is more about the characters and how their relationships change over time than any actual describable narrative.

That all sounds kind of negative when I read it back, but it’s not meant to be. Mostly I’m just impressed with how well it worked
Ivan
May 18, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
DNF@ 60%

I went with huge expectations. In blurbs comparisons where made to Ursula Le Guin and Firefly mention those two is sure ways to get my undivided attention. Sadly this book is nothing like my favorite tv show and it's nowhere near of depth of Le Guin's books.
If I had to describe this book to anyone I would call it cross between Farscape and Disney fairytale.
I did have some fun with it but around 60% of this book amount of sweetness and cheeseness become overwhelming. Character driven sci-
Elizabeth
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Post originally from the booksandpieces blog.

I tried to write a coherent review but all I can say is I LOVE IT WITH ALL MY HEART.

I love the universe that has been created, the elegant way it is created through little details of life and habits. I love the food and the soap and wine and small intricacies of life in space rather than just war in space.
I love the interaction of the alien species, the coming together, the falling aparts, and the (mis)understandings.
I love the characters, their co
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
Going for £0.99 on Amazon Kindle UK right now! Grab it while you can!

Characterization. This is how you do it.

This books was SO well written. It felt so real.

Don't go in expecting space battles and an epic space opera. Go in expecting superb characters (many of which are aliens) against the backdrop of space.

Loved it.

Book Depository has free worldwide shipping for it :)
Matthew
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi Character Based Story Fans
I had been hearing a lot about this book from some booktubers I follow. Surprisingly, that is the only place I had heard about this – I don’t remember seeing it in my Goodreads feed when others were reading it. But, since a few people said it was their favorite book they read last year, I figured it was worth giving it a try.

Whenever I dig into a Sci-Fi or Fantasy novel, I usually find the new world a bit difficult to get into. That was honestly the case with this book as well; lots of new plane
☽Luna☾
3/5 ★★★

"A black hole was the perfect place to contemplate death. There was nothing in the universe that could last forever. Not stars. Not matter. Nothing.”

This book had me on the fence for either a three or four star rating, I settled for 3.5 right smack bang in the middle. Haha.
I'm going keep this review short & sweet.

description

“It was more the prospect of getting mugged. Or harassed. Or stabbed. She’d seen a few people that definitely looked stabby.”

I picked this book up after I saw two of
Scott
Welcome to the Starship Ned Flanders.

Seriously though, while the central ship in The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet is actually named The Wayfarer almost everyone in the book is so cloyingly sweet that the name of the Simpsons' archetypal nice guy seems like a better fit. There's friendly Captain Flanders, chirpy lady engineer Flanders, friendly dwarf Flanders... you get the idea. Even the ship AI is a little Flandersesque.

Everybody seems to want to be everyone else's bestie (with the excepti
✨    jamieson   ✨
There was a nebula there, an explosion of dust and light, the fiery corpse of an ancient giant. Within the gaseous folds slept clusters of unborn stars, shining softly.
She took an inventory of her body. She felt her breath, her blood, the ties binding it all together. Every piece, down to the last atom had been made out here, flung through the open in a moment of violence, until they swirled round and round, churning and coalescing, becoming heavy, weighing each other down.

But not any more, t
Samantha
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites-2016
4.5 stars!
Philip
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25ish stars.

Somehow this manages to be both sweet and hardcore at the same time. Its characters are people I want to knock a few back with and I don't even drink. Chambers has made them each awesome in their own ways without trying too hard. They're not cool in the way that literary heroes (superheroes, public heroes, unsung heroes, etc.) typically are. They're just legitimately good people who do what they do and watch out for their own. It's refreshing.

It doesn't even bother me a bit that t
Riley
This book was definitely unlike anything I have ever read before.
It is a sci-fi about the crew on a spaceship called The Wayfarer. But don't go into this book expecting an action-packed space adventure. This is a completely character driven book that explores gender, sexuality, race and politics in the most beautiful way.
Kaitlin
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-sff-faves
I did receive this book for free from the publisher but in no way does that affect my thoughts or review (I genuinely loved it!)

This book is BRILLIANT and I have to say it's instantly become 'THE' book recommendation I will be giving out to people whenever they ask which Sci-fi books I would recommend. This is only the third time I have given a 5* rating to a sci-fi book as I do personally read a lot more fantasy than sci-fi, but this was just perfect for me and it was truly a representation of
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, favorites
I've never said this before because there has never been a book to touch me as much as this one did, but I have just completed reading my favorite book of all time. I just. I can't. Between this, Attachments, and Harry Potter, I'm like. Spent. I cannot even comprehend or articulate how much I loved this fucking book. Oh my god
Althea Ann
Jun 29, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The sequel to this was a Hugo nominee, so I figured I'd start with the first one, and requested it from the library. Well, maybe the sequel was a lot better, but unless I am assured of such a circumstance by a large and passionate crowd; I'm unlikely to bother to find out.

"The Long Way..." is a concept piece. It's a reaction to traditional space opera. In a "normal" sci-fi adventure, the scrappy crew of the "Wayfarer" would end up getting pulled into some kind of conflict bigger than themselves
Lauren (Shakespeare & Whisky)
This was so god-damn boring.

I have taken like two weeks to read this. I cringe when I open my e-reader and it automatically loads to this novel.

I can totally understand why people would love this book and if it had even a smidge of actual dramatic tension I would have loved it.

The world building was interesting and detailed. It is not only well- thought out, it is thought-provoking.

So why two stars? There is no dramatic thru- line.

What do I mean by this? Questions, mysteries and potential drama
Mayra Sigwalt
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
QUE LIVRÃO DA PORRA!! Com certeza um dos melhores que li esse ano.
Que personagens, que jornada, que escrita maravilhosa!
Amei demais!!
Depois escrevo algo que seja mais informativo, mas estou processando todas as emoções ainda. Muito bom!
Choko
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** 3.75 ***

A buddy read with the FBR group, because we need some light reads from time to time:)

"...“All you can do, Rosemary – all any of us can do – is work to be something positive instead. That is a choice that every sapient must make every day of their life. The universe is what we make of it. It’s up to you to decide what part you will play.” ..."

This is very much the spirit of this book. It is a Science Fiction about a space crew with predominantly pacifistic views, who work as tunneli
Vitor Martins
QUE JORNADA INCRÍVEL!

Teoricamente, TLWTASAP é um livro sobre uma nave espacial que se envolve numa missão grandiosa que pode salvar a galáxia inteira de uma guerra violenta.
Mas, sinceramente, isso não importa.

Esse não é um livro sobre a missão. É um livro sobre a tripulação.

A Wayfarer tem tripulantes de várias raças, com várias peculiaridades, passados misteriosos e costumes próprios. Daí você pega esse monte de gente diferente e coloca no espaço e observa como cada um vai se comportar. Essa fo
Lindsey Rey
Perfection on every level
Kai
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, glbt, to-buy
“I can wait for the galaxy outside to get a little kinder.”

First thing I have to say is: A+ cover and title choice. It had me in love the moment I first laid my eyes on this book.

To be honest, The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet was not what I expected.
I imagined a romantic and action-packed plot. What I got was an incredibly detailed, imaginably crafted and super lovely space-trip. This novel was more about friendship, trust and acceptance, than anything else. I was everything but disappointe
  • Dark Orbit
  • Binti (Binti, #1)
  • Ninefox Gambit (The Machineries of Empire #1)
  • New Moon (Luna #1)
  • Planetfall (Planetfall, #1)
  • Lightless (Lightless, #1)
  • Children of Time
  • Radiance
  • Ascension (Tangled Axon, #1)
  • Way Down Dark  (The Australia Trilogy, #1)
  • A Darkling Sea
  • Elysium
  • Central Station
  • On a Red Station, Drifting
  • The Empress Game (The Empress Game Trilogy #1)
  • The Stars Are Legion
  • The Best of All Possible Worlds
  • Persona (Persona, #1)
Becky Chambers is the author of the Wayfarers books, which currently include The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet, A Closed and Common Orbit, and Record of a Spaceborn Few. Her books have been nominated for the Hugo Award, the Arthur C. Clarke Award, and the Bailey's Women's Prize for Fiction, among others, and won the Prix Julia Verlanger in 2017. She grew up in a family heavily involved in spac ...more
More about Becky Chambers

Wayfarers (3 books)
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
  • Record of a Spaceborn Few (Wayfarers, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
“Ninety percent of all problems are caused by people being assholes.”
“What causes the other ten percent?” asked Kizzy.
“Natural disasters,” said Nib.”
198 likes
“All you can do, Rosemary – all any of us can do – is work to be something positive instead. That is a choice that every sapient must make every day of their life. The universe is what we make of it. It’s up to you to decide what part you will play.” 91 likes