Paper Princess (The Royals, #1) Paper Princess discussion


111 views
I'm surprised there's not more discussion...

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (last edited Jun 16, 2016 02:46PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Catherine ...on the fact that attempted date rape was "addressed" by a interaction based on dubious consent. ...on the fact that the Royals joked about raping Ella, and then later it was forgotten like it never happened.

So many reviews are like "OMG BEST BOOK EVER!", yet so few have bothered to mentioned the very concerning sexual treatment of the women in this story.

Did the majority of readers genuinely not find this problematic?


Jessica I know this book bothered me too. Ella was emotionally and occassionally physically abused through the whole thing and I was supposed to find this sexy. Was pretty disappointed I expected better.


Mukhlisa Jessica wrote: "I know this book bothered me too. Ella was emotionally and occassionally physically abused through the whole thing and I was supposed to find this sexy. Was pretty disappointed I expected better."

I don't think it was meant to be sexy - at least I didn't think it was. I was grossed by most of the characters in the book. But I liked it so much because despite all these abhorrent people around her, Ella manages to show them who's boss. Especially in that scene where on the boat Reed treats Ella like a prostitute who has no self respect for herself, and although she is very attracted to him, she doesn't let him win or give in to her desires, and she degrades and humiliates him.

And I know that the boys at first are really horrible to her, I think that's only a facade or they're just really messed up but they used to have some kind of good in them. I guess we'll find out in the next book.


message 4: by Jessica (last edited Jun 27, 2016 05:39AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jessica See I don't even feel like I read the same book as everyone else. It was clearly supposed to be a turn me on erotica book but I ended up cringing most the time, and people hailing Ella as some strong female character when she's clearly at the whims of Reed and when he says jump she jumps, oh and runs away like a coward when things get hard.
I don't understand the majority vote in this case. But different strokes for different folks I suppose.


message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica wrote: "See I don't even feel like I read the same book as everyone else. It was clearly supposed to be a turn me on erotica book but I ended up cringing most the time, and people hailing Ella as some stro..."

Don't worry. I don't get it either. She regessed at the end. She's been through all this crap, was a hard worker, and always tried to see the light in things, but she ups and drops shit because some ass-hole, who she knew was an asshole, treated you like shit.

I never found anything attractive about Reed. I believe her attraction to him was pure lust and about how hot he was.

But she's going to take him back within the trilogy because you know Reed has a super good and selfless reason for banging his dad's ex.

I wish in future books that she'd actually get her shit together and go to college and manage her money and become a strong, independent business woman and tell the Royals to fuck off but I'm to smart to know that won't happen.


Jessica Man if she dumps Reed and gets her sh*t together in future books I would re-adjust my score to something higher. I doubt that's going to happen though. She picked her guy and the romance trilogy law decrees she must now be with him forever.


message 7: by Catherine (last edited Jun 28, 2016 06:22AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Catherine Mukhlisa wrote: "Jessica wrote: "I know this book bothered me too. Ella was emotionally and occassionally physically abused through the whole thing and I was supposed to find this sexy. Was pretty disappointed I ex..."

See that's my concern though. "...only a facade because they're so messed up". People seem to use that as this get out of jail free card to dismiss their actions. "They're hot and misunderstood." Except for Easton, none of them really had any redeeming acts as people.

For as strong as Ella starts out, she gives everything up just because Reed cheats on her. Basically everyone WARNS her it might happen, she ignores them, and then feels devastated beyond the capacity for rational thought when it actually happens. Reed treats her like a cheap whore, and yet the second he's nice to her she falls head over heels for him. It's pathetic, so it's hard to minimize the brothers' behaviors when they still clearly have power over Ella's choices.


message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 28, 2016 07:54AM) (new)

Catherine wrote: "Mukhlisa wrote: "Jessica wrote: "I know this book bothered me too. Ella was emotionally and occassionally physically abused through the whole thing and I was supposed to find this sexy. Was pretty ..."

Exactly. Now how is she considered a so-called "strong" female MC again? She's totally pathetic.


Mukhlisa "hot and misunderstood." That's a good one.
I agree with you guys about the the boys being assholes, although I am curious of how they turn out in the next book.

BUT Ella is a strong character. However, she is not perfect, she has her shining moments and her vulnerable ones. For the two years after her mom died, she practically raised herself. It isn't unusual that she wanted to stay and become part of the family, despite their many many drawbacks. She wants to be loved or at least settled in a comfortable home. She did hear all those rumors about Reed but she probably chose not to believe it because she had see it to believe it.

One of the reasons she ran is because of Brooke. How messed up can a family be if the son is sleeping with his dad's ex-girlfriend? Secondly, she ran away because she had been itching to run off and it was the last straw. How much weird shit can a girl take? Thirdly, she is use to it. Her mom had all those creeps for boyfriends and they would stay with them until something really bad happened. Okay, ultimately, it is because Reed betrayed her but she's a teenage girl and her role model in life a.k.a her mom was not so role-model-ish. I do hope she comes to her senses in the next book but she can't really be with Easton can she? She even said that it would be easy to catch but not easy to keep him. He did dump Claire for no reason.

On a side, Reed does have one redeeming factor. He did not have sex with Ella so basically he didn't ruin her - not like in the 1800s where if you're not a virgin you're ruined because no one will marry you way - no, I mean emotionally.

And she didn't give up everything. She still has everything Steve left her and the $17,000, even though it's ridiculously insufficient amount.


message 10: by Catherine (last edited Jul 05, 2016 08:19AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Catherine Mukhlisa wrote: ""hot and misunderstood." That's a good one.
I agree with you guys about the the boys being assholes, although I am curious of how they turn out in the next book.

BUT Ella is a strong character. How..."


First off, she did give up everything. She had only $1700, not $17k, left of her original $10k, and she didn't yet have access to what Steve left her. She didn't just get a random ATM card upon the reading of the will. The legal bits to get her those assets hadn't been completed yet. Plus she ditched her car for the bus.

So yes, she gave up everything after Reed cheated on her. It doesn't really matter that he cheated on her with Brooke, because the problem is that he cheated period. He couldn't have sex with Ella, so he went elsewhere rather than just exercise some self-control? Let's not turn Reed's bad judgement into Brooke's fault. Whatever other flaws she may have, she didn't force Reed to have sex with her.

And your observation about "Reed didn't have sex with Ella and 'ruin' her"... Since when does sex ruin a girl, even in the modern day? I mean, that statement is kind of sexist because it puts all the onus on Ella, that her "purity" defines her value, and you're making Reed out to be some kind of saint because he didn't have sex with her and "ruin" her. Let's not forget, maybe he didn't use his actual sex organ, but he did engaged in sexual activity with Ella while she was drugged and incapable of competent consent . That's an extremely shaky gray area that, for some or many people, would constitute rape.

So we're circling back around in the discussion to questioning why aren't more people talking about the extremely sketchy sexual interactions Reed and his brothers have in this book with the women in their lives? Why are all their actions being excused or even justified?


Mukhlisa I blame my word choice. It seems "ruin her" can only mean one thing. And I didn't mean it that way. I meant it would hurt her emotionally. Allow me to clarify. Having sex is a pretty emotional experience and the first time is probably more so. Ella liked Reed and she had hope that he liked her back and that they could actually be a thing. So if they actually did the deed, she would be more emotionally devastated than she is. But then thinking about it again, it doesn't seem like something Reed would have thought of. But if he is as horrible as his behavior proves, why not just go all the way? I ramble but I just meant to clarify that I was not being sexist.

I have a question. The brothers do weird things and they're obviously really messed and even the dad, who appears nice, has really inappropriate behavior around his children. So why do you think it's so stupid that Ella left? Is it because she did it because she was upset about Reed, so it seems like she gave up everything for a boy?

Also, I don't think any of their behavior is justified at all. Okay, it would constitute rape but the next day, he did ask her if she felt taken advantage of and she said no so why make her a victim when she doesn't feel victimized? It, ofcourse, doesn't excuse the fact that she was drugged and incapable of proper consent. And Reed is not a saint and I never said he is and I never would.


Catherine Mukhlisa wrote: "I blame my word choice. It seems "ruin her" can only mean one thing. And I didn't mean it that way. I meant it would hurt her emotionally. Allow me to clarify. Having sex is a pretty emotional expe..."

But does she say "it's okay" because that's really what she would've chosen for herself, or because she was lusting after Reed? Does it even make it okay that he bothered to ask afterwards? It doesn't change the fact that he took advantage of her while she was drugged up. With everything else their money can get them, you're telling me they don't know how to get a discreet doctor to help Ella, that a sexual encounter was their best option? They didn't even shop around for a better idea. Literally their first notion was "sexual interaction". How do you not see a problem with that? How do most people not seem to have a problem with that?

And I didn't start this thread to talk about Ella, which you seem to be talking most offense at, but I'll say it was stupid to leave because she had a great deal going, and if she were as strong as she was initially painted up to be, then she'd be more than capable of getting through 2-ish years of strangeness. It's not as though she didn't get ample warning about Reed's nature, with all the ways he treated her badly (which she conveniently forgets as soon as he's nice to her). She can handle stripping and constantly working and (previously) taking care of her sick mom, but one betrayed crush and she throws away a lucrative college path? It just seems anti to how she was originally set up.

I'm just a little confused because you say you'd never try and justify Reed's behavior, but there's a lot of justification happening in your responses. Reasons given why Reed's choices make sense or are excusable for their circumstances. That's the question that I don't have an answer for: why so many people make these excuses for the Royal boys in the face of their numerous poor actions.


Jessica Uh, just because it wasn't PIV doesn't mean they weren't having a bunch of sexual interaction. They pretty much did everything but "the deed." If Reed had actually wanted to protect her "innocence" he wouldn't have touched her at all, and when she was drugged and horny loaned her his electric toothbrush and said knock herself out. Or just, you know, let her sleep it off.


back to top