Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

ARCHIVES > The best book I read in MAY was...

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jemima (last edited Jun 15, 2016 01:10AM) (new)

Jemima Pett | 1357 comments Mod
This is the place to tell us about good MG books you read in May (sorry for the late posting).

I read Trina Bell's Humming Summer and Jolly Foul Play, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed, although they couldn't be more different from each other.

Jolly Foul Play is one in a series of cozy mysteries set in a girl's boarding school in England in the 1930s. It's pretty old-fashioned even though it's a newly written book. Good fun. An Australian buddy won this and then found it was only open to UK winners, so he nominated me to receive it. Thanks, Bruce!

Trina Bell's Humming Summer is set in Victoria B.C., and features humming birds and a talking dog, plus a great many interesting animals and people. There's a mystery in this too, and it's well worth reading. This was from our own Silke Stein as part of her Read 2 Review offer.

Over to you!

message 2: by Annie (new)

Annie Payne (anniemae85) Hands down, the best book I read in May was Listen, Slowly by Thanhha Lai. This is her second book, and I loved the first as well, but this one was even better!

I love reading about other cultures, and never really read about the Vietnamese culture, even though we all learn at least a little bit about it in school--at least about the war. Her books were like candy for my mind. It was a brand new world to me, and I couldn't get enough of it.

This particular book is probably best for older preteens, as there is some discussion of boys and thongs and things that I wouldn't feel comfortable discussing with a younger child, but it is well worth the read, and even adults should read it! I loved it!

message 3: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Reynolds | 43 comments I read Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi. This was a dystopian romance novel intended for YA readers. It was very suspenseful and riveting to read. I would definitely recommend it :)