Start by marking “Jolly Foul Play (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #4)” as Want to Read:
Jolly Foul Play (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #4)

Jolly Foul Play

(Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries #4)

The fantastic new mystery from the author of Murder Most Unladylike.

Daisy Wells and Hazel Wong have returned to Deepdean for a new school term, but nothing is the same. There's a new Head Girl, Elizabeth Hurst, and a team of Prefects - and these bullying Big Girls are certainly not good eggs.

Then, after the fireworks display on Bonfire Night, Elizabeth is found - murdered.
Published March 24th 2016 by Puffin

To ask other readers questions about Jolly Foul Play, please sign up.

Maddie
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
More murder, more mystery and even more fun, what's not to like?

My favourite moments were Alexander's letters (I'm definitely looking forward to them meeting up in the next book!) and the fact that Hazel and Daisy's roommates were more involved with solving the crime. The more girls, the merrier!
Lauren James
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ukya
I want this series to go on forever. Even though these books are MG, I am obsessed with them. I read every single one in a one sitting, and they just get better and better. The friendship between Daisy and Hazel is getting more complicated and messy as they get older, and I can't wait to see where it goes next.
Aleshanee
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: histor-krimi, kinder
Auch das vierte Abenteuer der beiden jungen Detektivinnen hat mich wieder super unterhalten! Nach dem aufregenden Fall im Orientexpress gehts wieder zurück ins Internat Deepdean und natürlich haben die beiden wieder einen Mord aufzuklären.
Hazel erzählt wieder aus ihrer Sichtweise in ihrer ruhigen und besonnenen Art, während Daisy wie üblich das Kommando übernimmt. Dabei gehen ihnen dieses Mal Assistentinnen zur Hand, denn vor ihren Zimmerkameradinnen können sie ihre detektivischen Unternehmungen
Melanie (Mel's Bookland Adventures)
I adore this middle grade series, it is just so delightful and funny and quirky. And I am so pleased my middle-grader loves them too, what a realistic portrayal of girl friendships, the fallings out, the making up, the defining your own person and standing your ground, being part of a group, but not being swept away. If you have a middle-grader, get them this book.
normasbooks
Ho deciso di iniziare questo libro del tutto a caso, vedendo persone leggerlo per via della readalong organizzata da diverse booktubers.
Avendo incontrato l’autrice a Mare di Libri ed avendo già letto uno dei suoi libri (Il mistero del Gggenheim), mi è sembrata l’occasione giusta per leggere qualcosa della sua serie principale.
Questo è il quarto libro della seria, ma dato che ogni libro racconta le vicende di un caso investigativo a sé stante, non ho avuto difficoltà nell’ambientarmi.
Nel compless
L.H. Johnson
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I think back to that first moment I read Robin Stevens. Murder Most Unladylike ticked all of my literary boxes in a way I wasn't sure was ever really going to happen. Of course there are books out there that I love, books out there that fire my brain into strange and wonderful places, books that make me gasp and weep at their perfection, but then there's the Wells and Wong books and the way they fit into something very perfect for me and my bookish ways. I am a school story fan; I read ...more
thefourthvine
It's odd to write my first review of a series four books in, but up until this one, the series is very much exactly what it says on the tin: a fun, clever update of the classic Holmes and Watson mystery in a girls' school setting, with likable characters and quite good, though totally solvable, puzzles.

In this book, though, it's all that, but its's much more.

It's rare for an author to allow serious character development in a long, open-ended series; it's even rarer, for some reason, when it's a
Pili
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another adorable and engaging mystery! Exactly the kind of cozy and interesting book I needed to read! And this time, I didn't even guess the right murderer in advance! So excited to continue on reading and loving this series!
Alyce Hunt
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another perfect installment in the Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries. I'm going to be reviewing this at some point next week, when I can think of enough synonyms for brilliant.

EDIT 16/03/2018:

'We were all looking up, and so we missed the murder.'

Bonfire Night at Deepdean goes off with a bang when Head Girl Elizabeth is found dead at the end of the fireworks display. Lying next to her is a bloody rake, so it's agreed that her death must have been an accident - the caretaker, Jones, must have care
Ms. Yingling
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

When Head Girl Elizabeth dies of injuries after the school's Guy Fawkes bonfire, Daisy and Hazel suspect that she was murdered. The position of the rake wasn't right, but this doesn't stop the head gardener from being fired. When pages from a notebook Elizabeth kept of everyone's secrets keep cropping up, the Detective Society realizes they have their motive. The five prefects are also suspects, and the girls work on narrowing them down. When Hazel writes to Daisy's cous
Fra Libri e Realtà
Non è stato semplice portare a termine la lettura di Un delitto allegro ma non troppo nonostante sia un libro per ragazzi. Non perché sia una lettura complessa. Fino a ora ho sempre apprezzato i libri della serie Miss Detective. Mi sono sempre divertita a raccogliere indizi e a indagare insieme a Daisy e Hazel. Con Un delitto allegro ma non troppo le cose sono cambiate. Non riesco a capire la scelta del titolo, non mi sembra che le studentesse della Deepdean si siano divertite. Ma non è solo que ...more
Monica Haak
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 sterren! Heerlijk zeg, een leeftijdsgenootje omgebracht dus dat brengt een heel hoop complotten en geheimen aan t licht

Recensie binnenkort op myperfectbooklife
Emma
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another great mystery in the Murder Most Unladylike series, I adore these books. This time the murder happens on Deepdean School territory and everyone seems to have a motive. The victim, Elizabeth, is a nasty bullying Big Girl and the Detective Society have to put aside the whys and concentrate on the how.

Not only are we treated to a wonderful mystery, Robin Stevens is also starting to introduce grown up situations into the lives of Daisy and Hazel, the girls are getting older and suddenly fri
Luna
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another Wells & Wong mystery and this one has the girls return to Deepdean, the same place that the very first mystery in Murder Most Unladylike took place. Much has changed since then book one. Both Daisy and Hazel have grown, though Daisy more in height then character if you trust Hazel’s narration.

As the official secretary of the Detective Society Hazel’s voice is the one we have in each book and it’s her development we follow. Hazel is becoming more assured with each book. In Jolly Foul
Verity W
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gosh this series is so much fun. Daisy and Hazel are getting older and they're facing new tests of their friendship as well as the threat of a murderer. In book 4 the big girls are causing problems - bit then the head girl is murdered. Who did it? And where are all the mysterious pieces of paper with secrets on coming from?
msBookLand
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow that was so unexpected!

This book seemed to be a different type of mystery and I really enjoyed it just like the others in the series, as always the characters are amazing the story fantastic and the end result breathtaking!
I recommend these books to anyone and everyone. They are my absolute favourites!!!!!!!

Katey Lovell
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hazel is growing in confidence with every book and I love that!!! Robin Stevens had me gripped in this Deepdean murder mystery, probably my favourite in the series so far.
Darran Stobbart
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to start referring to people I dislike as absolute beasts.
Rachel
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
This is the forth in a series of historical detective mysteries, set in a boarding school in England. I've had my eye on this series for a long time-- the titles are so clever, and I have a thing for lady detectives.

Hazel Wong and Elizabeth Wells are best friends and upperclasswomen at the Deepdean school for girls, and they have a penchant for solving murders-- which is convenient, because murders seem to happen in their vicinity pretty frequently. In Jolly Foul Play, the girls have returned t
16parkert
This is 100% my favourite book from the whole series so far! The book is once again set in deepdean school with some new characters and of course daisy, hazel and their dorm group. This was definitely the most intriguing book I've read so far as the plot was very gripping and the mystery was very well thought through. Daisy and hazel once again solve a mystery (with many plot twists and surprising moments) with the additional members of the detective society with one new member! I'd give this bo ...more
Joyce Hertzoff
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful Wells and Wong detective story. When the head girl at Deepdean School for Girls dies during a bonfire, Daisy and Hazel are on the case. They witnessed how the victim and her group of big girl prefects had terrorized the younger girls at the school. Malicious rumors and secrets began to turn up after the death. Along with their dorm-mates, they conclude that the prefects are the only viable suspects. Hazel’s ‘voice’, telling the story as she recorded it for their Detective Socie ...more
Mathew
The fourth of the MMUM mysteries which takes us back to Deepdean (I was excited by this choice although the last two books were great). There is something ever so slightly claustrophobic when setting a murder mystery in a boarding school - perhaps it is the lack of escape or not knowing what is around the next corner, but Stevens shows that she is currently, extremely accomplished in this genre. The rising tensions between Daisy and Hazel in this episode was just right too.
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Listen to this as an audio book.

Different actor who read this story, but it ok once I got used to a different voice!

I was nice to go back to Hazel and Daisy's school - Deepdeen and hear about another murder. It was interesting to read about them solving a murder which the rest of the school thought of as an accident.

Good mystery and development of the characters.

Can't wait to listen/read more of the series.
Rachel
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Why couldn't anything be simple anymore? Why did everything have to be difficult, now we were older?"
The changing friendship of Hazel and Daisy is just lovely as they grow up and figure out new ways of being around each other. These books are such a joy.
Sadie Slater
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The fourth of Robin Stevens' Wells and Wong mysteries returns to the school setting of the first, and sees our heroines Daisy Wells and Hazel Wong seeking the person responsible for the death of Deepdean School's bullying and unpopular Head Girl during the school's Bonfire Night fireworks display. As with the earlier books, despite being a fusion of two of the cosiest genres around - period murder mystery and school story - this isn't a cosy book at all and tackles serious issues including bully ...more
BiblioPhil
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Detective Society for ever! Love this series,the devious classic crime era plotting, the 30s school story reimagined though today's sensibilities, and of course the Wells and Wong partnership. If only Daisy were running Britain today.
Carolyn
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Very fun and fast paced. Still really enjoying this series though this volume didn't quite meet the expectations of the other three.
Amber
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book where hazel FINALLY puts daisy in her place. 👏👏
Hermioneginny
Hazel e Daisy tornano a scuola per il nuovo trimestre, ma ci sono grandi novità, a partire dalla caposcuola e dalle sue aiutanti, vere sadiche che tormentano le ragazze più piccole. Durante il falò di Guy Fawkes la ragazza viene trovata morta. GLi adulti pensano a un incidente ma Hazele Daisy sanno che è stato un omicidio, soprattutto quando cominciano a spuntare fuori i segreti delle ragazze delle superiori...

Oh, quanto mi piace questa serie! Soprattutto Hazel che cresce e matura, e si trova nu
Bunni
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m thinking daisy’s a sociopath
  • Mystery & Mayhem: Twelve Deliciously Intriguing Mysteries
  • The Case of the Good-Looking Corpse (The P.K Pinkerton Mysteries, #2)
  • Frankie Dupont and The Lemon Festival Fiasco (Frankie Dupont Mysteries #2)
  • The Bookshop Girl
  • Death on the Cherwell
  • The Camelot Kids: Volume One (The Camelot Kids, #1-4)
  • Tin
  • Sea (The Huntress Trilogy #1)
  • BookElves Anthology, Volume 1
  • The Capture of Cerberus & The Incident of the Dog's Ball
  • Mr Campion and Others
  • Tilly and the Bookwanderers (Pages & Co., #1)
  • Cakes in Space
  • Zoe & Zak and the Yogi's Curse (Zoe & Zak Adventures, #2)
  • No Rules (Friday Barnes #4)
  • Fizz & Peppers at the Bottom of the World
  • Lavender Leigh at the Chalet School
  • Fairs' Point (Astreiant, #4)
Robin's books are: Murder Most Unladylike (Murder is Bad Manners in the USA), Arsenic for Tea (Poison is Not Polite in the USA), First Class Murder, Jolly Foul Play, Mistletoe and Murder, Cream Buns and Crime, and A Spoonful of Murder. She is also the author of The Guggenheim Mystery, the sequel to Siobhan Dowd's The London Eye Mystery.

Robin was born in California and grew up in an Oxford college

Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Murder Most Unladylike: A Wells & Wong Mystery  (Wells & Wong Mystery, #1)
  • Arsenic for Tea (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #2)
  • First Class Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #3)
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #5)
  • A Spoonful of Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #6)
  • Cream Buns and Crime: A Murder Most Unladylike Collection, #0.5, 3.5, 4.5 (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #0.5, 3.5, 4.5)
  • Death in the Spotlight (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #7)
  • Untitled (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #8)
  • A Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries Boxed Set, #2-5 with Gift Journal (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #2-5)
  • A Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries Boxed Set, #1-6 with Gift Journal (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #1-6)
“It is funny how public the English are about disliking their families, even when it is not really true. Love is a secret to them, hate, far less so.” 2 likes
“(you see, not all of our Big Girls go to university. Most are only presented at Court and go on to marry Lords with no chins).” 1 likes