Start by marking “Jolly Foul Play (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #4)” as Want to Read:
Jolly Foul Play (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #4)

Jolly Foul Play

(Murder Most Unladylike Mystery #4)

The fantastic new mystery from the author of Murder Most Unladylike.

Daisy Wells and Hazel Wong have returned to Deepdean for a new school term, but nothing is the same. There's a new Head Girl, Elizabeth Hurst, and a team of Prefects - and these bullying Big Girls are certainly not good eggs.

Then, after the fireworks display on Bonfire Night, Elizabeth is found - murdered.
Published March 24th 2016 by Puffin

To ask other readers questions about Jolly Foul Play, please sign up.

Start your review of Jolly Foul Play (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #4)
Maddie
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
More murder, more mystery and even more fun, what's not to like?

My favourite moments were Alexander's letters (I'm definitely looking forward to them meeting up in the next book!) and the fact that Hazel and Daisy's roommates were more involved with solving the crime. The more girls, the merrier!
Lauren James
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ukya
I want this series to go on forever. Even though these books are MG, I am obsessed with them. I read every single one in a one sitting, and they just get better and better. The friendship between Daisy and Hazel is getting more complicated and messy as they get older, and I can't wait to see where it goes next.
Melanie (Mel's Bookland Adventures)
I adore this middle grade series, it is just so delightful and funny and quirky. And I am so pleased my middle-grader loves them too, what a realistic portrayal of girl friendships, the fallings out, the making up, the defining your own person and standing your ground, being part of a group, but not being swept away. If you have a middle-grader, get them this book.
L.H. Johnson
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I think back to that first moment I read Robin Stevens. Murder Most Unladylike ticked all of my literary boxes in a way I wasn't sure was ever really going to happen. Of course there are books out there that I love, books out there that fire my brain into strange and wonderful places, books that make me gasp and weep at their perfection, but then there's the Wells and Wong books and the way they fit into something very perfect for me and my bookish ways. I am a school story fan; I read ...more
thefourthvine
It's odd to write my first review of a series four books in, but up until this one, the series is very much exactly what it says on the tin: a fun, clever update of the classic Holmes and Watson mystery in a girls' school setting, with likable characters and quite good, though totally solvable, puzzles.

In this book, though, it's all that, but its's much more.

It's rare for an author to allow serious character development in a long, open-ended series; it's even rarer, for some reason, when it's a
Camille
May 03, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This was most disappointing. I’ve read and loved the first three Wells and Wongs mysteries; they were charming, clever, were a homage to detective classics, and had progressive character growth. Jolly Foul Play, on the other hand, felt like it was part of another series entirely. There were three things in particular that bothered me:

The murder itself and how it was solved was extremely confusing. I had a difficult time following the logistics of who was where at what time and where they were
Pili
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another adorable and engaging mystery! Exactly the kind of cozy and interesting book I needed to read! And this time, I didn't even guess the right murderer in advance! So excited to continue on reading and loving this series!
Alyce Hunt
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another perfect installment in the Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries. I'm going to be reviewing this at some point next week, when I can think of enough synonyms for brilliant.

EDIT 16/03/2018:

'We were all looking up, and so we missed the murder.'

Bonfire Night at Deepdean goes off with a bang when Head Girl Elizabeth is found dead at the end of the fireworks display. Lying next to her is a bloody rake, so it's agreed that her death must have been an accident - the caretaker, Jones, must have
Ms. Yingling
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

When Head Girl Elizabeth dies of injuries after the school's Guy Fawkes bonfire, Daisy and Hazel suspect that she was murdered. The position of the rake wasn't right, but this doesn't stop the head gardener from being fired. When pages from a notebook Elizabeth kept of everyone's secrets keep cropping up, the Detective Society realizes they have their motive. The five prefects are also suspects, and the girls work on narrowing them down. When Hazel writes to Daisy's
Emma
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another great mystery in the Murder Most Unladylike series, I adore these books. This time the murder happens on Deepdean School territory and everyone seems to have a motive. The victim, Elizabeth, is a nasty bullying Big Girl and the Detective Society have to put aside the whys and concentrate on the how.

Not only are we treated to a wonderful mystery, Robin Stevens is also starting to introduce grown up situations into the lives of Daisy and Hazel, the girls are getting older and suddenly
Luna
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another Wells & Wong mystery and this one has the girls return to Deepdean, the same place that the very first mystery in Murder Most Unladylike took place. Much has changed since then book one. Both Daisy and Hazel have grown, though Daisy more in height then character if you trust Hazel’s narration.

As the official secretary of the Detective Society Hazel’s voice is the one we have in each book and it’s her development we follow. Hazel is becoming more assured with each book. In Jolly Foul
msBookLand
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow that was so unexpected!

This book seemed to be a different type of mystery and I really enjoyed it just like the others in the series, as always the characters are amazing the story fantastic and the end result breathtaking!
I recommend these books to anyone and everyone. They are my absolute favourites!!!!!!!

Verity W
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gosh this series is so much fun. Daisy and Hazel are getting older and they're facing new tests of their friendship as well as the threat of a murderer. In book 4 the big girls are causing problems - bit then the head girl is murdered. Who did it? And where are all the mysterious pieces of paper with secrets on coming from?
Katey Lovell
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hazel is growing in confidence with every book and I love that!!! Robin Stevens had me gripped in this Deepdean murder mystery, probably my favourite in the series so far.
Darran Stobbart
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to start referring to people I dislike as absolute beasts.
Rachel
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the forth in a series of historical detective mysteries, set in a boarding school in England. I've had my eye on this series for a long time-- the titles are so clever, and I have a thing for lady detectives.

Hazel Wong and Elizabeth Wells are best friends and upperclasswomen at the Deepdean school for girls, and they have a penchant for solving murders-- which is convenient, because murders seem to happen in their vicinity pretty frequently. In Jolly Foul Play, the girls have returned
Joyce Hertzoff
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful Wells and Wong detective story. When the head girl at Deepdean School for Girls dies during a bonfire, Daisy and Hazel are on the case. They witnessed how the victim and her group of big girl prefects had terrorized the younger girls at the school. Malicious rumors and secrets began to turn up after the death. Along with their dorm-mates, they conclude that the prefects are the only viable suspects. Hazel’s ‘voice’, telling the story as she recorded it for their Detective ...more
16parkert
This is 100% my favourite book from the whole series so far! The book is once again set in deepdean school with some new characters and of course daisy, hazel and their dorm group. This was definitely the most intriguing book I've read so far as the plot was very gripping and the mystery was very well thought through. Daisy and hazel once again solve a mystery (with many plot twists and surprising moments) with the additional members of the detective society with one new member! I'd give this ...more
Mathew
The fourth of the MMUM mysteries which takes us back to Deepdean (I was excited by this choice although the last two books were great). There is something ever so slightly claustrophobic when setting a murder mystery in a boarding school - perhaps it is the lack of escape or not knowing what is around the next corner, but Stevens shows that she is currently, extremely accomplished in this genre. The rising tensions between Daisy and Hazel in this episode was just right too.
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Listen to this as an audio book.

Different actor who read this story, but it ok once I got used to a different voice!

I was nice to go back to Hazel and Daisy's school - Deepdeen and hear about another murder. It was interesting to read about them solving a murder which the rest of the school thought of as an accident.

Good mystery and development of the characters.

Can't wait to listen/read more of the series.
Audrey
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Didn't like the mystery as much as the others in the series. I didn't like the friendship problems between Daisy and Hazel, but loved Hazel's growth from the previous books as to not being a pushover! Loved how different and unique all the secrets of the prefects were. Have a theory about Daisy that I hope comes through in future books based on her character and reactions to stuff in this book.
BiblioPhil
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Detective Society for ever! Love this series,the devious classic crime era plotting, the 30s school story reimagined though today's sensibilities, and of course the Wells and Wong partnership. If only Daisy were running Britain today.
Sadie Slater
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The fourth of Robin Stevens' Wells and Wong mysteries returns to the school setting of the first, and sees our heroines Daisy Wells and Hazel Wong seeking the person responsible for the death of Deepdean School's bullying and unpopular Head Girl during the school's Bonfire Night fireworks display. As with the earlier books, despite being a fusion of two of the cosiest genres around - period murder mystery and school story - this isn't a cosy book at all and tackles serious issues including ...more
Rachel
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Why couldn't anything be simple anymore? Why did everything have to be difficult, now we were older?"
The changing friendship of Hazel and Daisy is just lovely as they grow up and figure out new ways of being around each other. These books are such a joy.
Carolyn
3.5 stars. Very fun and fast paced. Still really enjoying this series though this volume didn't quite meet the expectations of the other three.
Amber
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book where hazel FINALLY puts daisy in her place. ...more
Angourie Rice
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not my favourite one of the series so far; but it's hard to follow First Class Murder, because I seriously loved that one.
Holly
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Hazel and Daisy!!!!!!!!!!! ...more
BunTheDestroyer
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m thinking daisy’s a sociopath
Mehsi
The girls are back, and this time we have a whole book about their boarding school: Deep Dean, again! I was delighted that we were back, don't get me wrong, I loved all the other books, but there is just something special about boarding school + mystery (+ murder).

Yes murder! Deep Dean has yet another murder, this time not a teacher, or a caretaker, this time it is a student. Who could have done it? One of her five friends (cohorts)? And who is telling all the secrets that Elizabeth kept?
It was
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Last Secret (Scarlet and Ivy, #6)
  • The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow (The Sinclair’s Mysteries #1)
  • The Mystery of the Jewelled Moth (The Sinclair’s Mysteries #2)
  • Mystery & Mayhem: Twelve Deliciously Intriguing Mysteries
  • The Lights Under the Lake (Scarlet and Ivy #4)
  • The Curse in the Candlelight (Scarlet and Ivy, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Painted Dragon (The Sinclair’s Mysteries #3)
  • The Dance in the Dark (Scarlet and Ivy #3)
  • The Whispers in the Walls (Scarlet and Ivy, #2)
  • The Lost Twin (Scarlet and Ivy #1)
  • Peril in Paris (Taylor & Rose: Secret Agents, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Midnight Peacock (The Sinclair's mysteries #4)
  • The London Eye Mystery (London Eye Mystery, #1)
  • Look Into My Eyes (Ruby Redfort, #1)
  • Spies in St. Petersburg (Taylor and Rose Secret Agents, #2)
  • Skycircus (The Cogheart Adventures, #3)
  • The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • Dead Man's Cove (Laura Marlin Mysteries, #1)
Robin's books are: Murder Most Unladylike (Murder is Bad Manners in the USA), Arsenic for Tea (Poison is Not Polite in the USA), First Class Murder, Jolly Foul Play, Mistletoe and Murder, Cream Buns and Crime, A Spoonful of Murder, Death in the Spotlight and Top Marks for Murder. She is also the author of The Guggenheim Mystery, the sequel to Siobhan Dowd's The London Eye Mystery.

Robin was born

Murder Most Unladylike Mystery (9 books)
  • Murder Most Unladylike: A Wells & Wong Mystery (Murder Most Unladylike Mystery, #1)
  • Arsenic for Tea (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #2)
  • First Class Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #3)
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #5)
  • A Spoonful of Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #6)
  • Death in the Spotlight (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #7)
  • Top Marks for Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #8)
  • Murder Most Unladylike Book 9
“It is funny how public the English are about disliking their families, even when it is not really true. Love is a secret to them, hate, far less so.” 2 likes
“(you see, not all of our Big Girls go to university. Most are only presented at Court and go on to marry Lords with no chins).” 1 likes