Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

Members > Have you read a book inspired by a classic?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | -1 comments Finished listening to Maybe This Time by Jennifer Crusie Maybe This Time by Jennifer Crusie yesterday. A romantic ghost story inspired by Henry James' classic novella The Turn of the Screw.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Other books I've read (off the top of my head) inspired by classics were Megan Shepherd trilogy:

1) The Madman’s Daughter inspired by The Island of Dr. Moreau

2) Her Dark Curiosity inspired by The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

3) A Cold Legacy inspired by Frankenstein

message 3: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | -1 comments LOL! I want to read Joanna Trollope's take on Sense & Sensibility. I really enjoyed Alexander McCall Smith's take on Emma: A Modern Retelling

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 2 comments I've read numerous Pride & Prejudice sequels and retellings. Mr. Darcy's Diary (the events from his pov) Mr. Darcy's Daughter, which is a series. Pemberley, Mr. Darcy presents his bride, An Assembly Such As This. And many more! I just got one about Mary Bennet and another about Georgiana Darcy. I'm a little obsessed lol

They've gone up and down in quality. Mr. Darcy Presents his Bride & Mr. Darcy's Diary are probably my favorite. They've got nothing on the original of course but they're pretty good.

Least favorite was probably Death Comes to Pemberley. I love mysteries and P&P adaptation, but this just fell short. A mediocre mystery with out of character P&P characters

message 5: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | -1 comments Have you read the Carrie Bebris books where Mr & Mrs Darcy investigate?

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 2 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Have you read the Carrie Bebris books where Mr & Mrs Darcy investigate?"

I have not, but I will now. Thank you!

message 7: by Ariel (new)

Ariel (BookHermit) (noonchibookhermit) | 1 comments Revenge by Stephen Fry. It's based on The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas. Very clever!

message 8: by Emy (new)

Emy (emyleest) | 19 comments I've read Death comes to Pemberley by P.D. James and Longbourn by Jo Baker, both inspired by Pride & Prejudice. LOVED the latter.

Oh, and Moriarty by Anthony Horowitz, inspired by the stories of Arthur Conan Doyle. It was very clever, loved it a lot.

message 9: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | -1 comments I really want to read Longbourn!

message 10: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | -1 comments Another book inspired by a classic is coming out:

No One Is Coming to Save Us by Stephanie Powell Watts

From the NPR:

Fitzgerald Didn't Satisfy This Author, So She Wrote Her Own 'Gatsby'-Inspired Novel

http://www.npr.org/2017/04/13/5237747...

"I loved it when I was a kid and read it for the first time. ... But subsequent readings, I felt like I'm seeing other things. I'm seeing all of these black characters — never thought about them before. I'm seeing the women and the tiny, tiny roles that they have in the book, and I want them to speak. I want to hear what they have to say."

message 11: by George P. (last edited Feb 22, 2019 03:04PM) (new)

George P. | 1010 comments Mod
I'm reading Haruki Murakami's 1Q84 which is somewhat inspired by George Orwell's 1984. it's a very different sort of book though- there's no totalitarian government in it. Both novels are set in the year 1984.

message 12: by Mercedes (new)

Mercedes (villadinorah) | 589 comments It's old news, but Wide Sargasso Sea is a response to Charlotte Brontë's treatment of Mr Rochester's 'mad' first wife, Bertha, in Jane Eyre.

message 13: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | -1 comments I recently checked Pride by Ibi Zoboi out from my local library - like the name suggests, it is inspired by Pride & Prejudice.