Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Let's Partner Up! Challenge > Let's Partner Up! Q&A/Info Thread

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Jun 25, 2016 06:31PM) (new)

Fran | 11003 comments This thread is for the Let's Partner Up! Challenge

This is a 6 week challenge, running from July 1st- August 15th.

It's a partner challenge, a little something different for our group, and hopefully a chance to get to know another member better and have some fun. This challenge is meant to be kind of laid back, no pressure, just a good time.

The 'Let's Pair Up!' challenge is a dice roller one. Because I love to roll the dice!

Important Dates to Remember-

Pairs and Groups randomly assigned- June 27, 2016
Challenge begins- July 1, 2016
Challenge ends- August 15, 2016

This will be the sign up thread, and I will answer any questions you might have about the challenge in this thread as well.

Once sign-ups have closed and pairs and groups are made, each group with have their own thread. Each member of their thread will keep track of their own books read in their own, separate post.

I will explain in detail in the next few posts how the challenge will work.

Let's have so fun!

message 2: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Jul 01, 2016 06:54AM) (new)

Fran | 11003 comments This is a 6 week challenge

Participants split into several groups, but paired with one other person within that group.

Each person rolls for themselves each week, using each number on the die only once.

They recommend a book (or two) to their partner based on what their partner rolled for themselves.

All pairs give each other recs after the first roll.

Your partner recommends a book to you based on YOUR roll. You give one to your partner based on THEIR roll.

The recommendations you make to your partner should ideally be something not on any of their shelves. Something new to them that you may have read or something you haven't read but think they might enjoy. If you can't find something new for them, you can choose something from their shelves (not from their 'read' shelf) from an author they haven't tried yet. So it's still 'new' in that they are new to the author.

*For Example-

Jane- I rolled a 1.- Humorous Romance
Fran- I rolled 5,- Sports Romance
Fran recommends Big Rock to Jane for Humorous.
Jane recommends The Hooker and the Hermit to Fran for Sports.

Recs are given in your group thread. When you choose your title that you will read for your roll, you can post it in your post in your group thread. Everyone needs to keep track of their books read in their one individual post.

If you choose to, you can also put your rec for your partner in a general thread, so it's easy for everyone else to see.

You can choose a rec from your partner, any participant in your own group, or the general group thread.

*Remember, choosing a book that someone else recommended is not mandatory......you are allowed to find a book on your own, it just needs to fit the category rolled. If you really can't find anything on any rec list or on your own that you are interested in that fits the category, you can choose ANY book from your partner's 'read' shelf.

Everyone rolls each week, for a total of 6 rolls in 6 weeks

Participants have the full 6 weeks to finish all of their books. They are encouraged to finish one a week, but not necessary. They still get recs, still get to roll.

If their partner drops out or doesn't make a rec in the first 2 days of the new week, they can ask someone else in their group to make a rec for them.

There will be a General Recommendations Thread. Everyone is encouraged to post the rec they gave their partner to this thread.

Anyone can choose a rec from the General Recommendations thread that corresponds to their roll if they like something there.

They can also choose something off of their partner's 'read' shelf if they can't find something that they want to read that fits the theme.

The 'Series Rule' applies to this challenge. If you are recommended something and it is not where you are in the series, you can read the correct book in the series for you. The same applies if you are choosing a book from your partner's shelf or your group thread or this general recommendations thread. You can always read the book in the series that fits where you are in the series.

Minimum page count of 80 pages.

Please post your roll in your tracking post as soon as you roll it. This will help your partner locate your current roll more easily.

**Please make sure to friend your partner if you have a Private Profile. They will need access to your shelves.

message 3: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Jun 12, 2016 04:46PM) (new)

Fran | 11003 comments Categories for the Let's Partner Up! Challenge

1= Humorous Romance
2= Artist/Dancer/Musician Romance
3= Road trip Romance
4= Western Romance
5= Sports Romance
6= Geek/Nerd/Opposites Attract Romance

message 4: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Jun 12, 2016 04:46PM) (new)

Fran | 11003 comments Questions and Answers about the challenge-

message 6: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Jun 13, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

Fran | 11003 comments Dice Roller

-You will roll the die each week, on a Friday, beginning with Friday, July 1st

-Please try and roll on Friday, or over the next day or so, so that your partner can have time to recommend you a title (or two)

-If you do not roll by Sunday, your partner does not have to give you any recs. They can if they choose to, but after Sunday, it's not required.

-You are always free to choose a book from your group thread or general recommendations thread that corresponds to the category you rolled. You may also choose your own title from your shelves.

-Please set the die to '1' when you are ready to roll.

-Roll the die as many times as it takes to get a number you have not rolled before.
-

message 7: by Stacie (new)

Stacie  (cowmingo) | 1206 comments I'd like to sign up. Sounds like fun.

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2077 comments I'm in!

message 9: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19683 comments Me please. =)

message 10: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3442 comments I'll give it a try. Sounds neat.

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 712 comments I'd like to try this one

message 12: by Susan A (new)

Susan A | 1460 comments I have a question.

1.) Am I recommending books that I read, enjoyed, and fit the theme? Or, am I looking through my partner's shelves, asking my partner what kinds of books he or she enjoys and then attempting to find something that suits his or her tastes, even if it is a book that I have not read nor would pick for myself?

Maybe this is better worded: Am I making recommendations based on MY reading tastes, or what I think are my partner's reading tastes?

If the pair has similar reading tastes, this question is pointless. But if the pair does not, it makes a difference.

2.) Is it required to make sure the recommendation made is not marked as read on your partner's TBR?

3.) Are we allowed to select from partner's shelves? This is not really a recommendation.

message 13: by Wende (new)

Wende | 946 comments I will try it

message 14: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Jun 13, 2016 07:06AM) (new)

Fran | 11003 comments Susan A wrote: "I have a question.

1.) Am I recommending books that I read, enjoyed, and fit the theme? Or, am I looking through my partner's shelves, asking my partner what kinds of books he or she enjoys and t..."

Thank you for your questions Susan A! I mistakenly left out that important info from my first post.

The recommendations you make to your partner should ideally be something not on any of their shelves. Something new to them that you may have read or something you haven't read but think they might enjoy. If you can't find something new for them, you can choose something from their shelves (not from their 'read' shelf) from an author they haven't tried yet. So it's still 'new' in that they are new to the author.

I think it would be the most enjoyable for your partner if you choose titles you think they would enjoy, based on their shelves, rather than your own. But sometimes discovering something completely off your radar can turn out great :)
Maybe recommend one of each? I think it will depend on the category and how both of your shelves match up.

2.) Is it required to make sure the recommendation made is not marked as read on your partner's TBR?

I would say YES, please make sure your recommendations are not on your partner's 'read' shelf.

message 15: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 1038 comments This sounds interesting. And I always want another excuse to read romances. Add me to the list please.

message 16: by Susan A (new)

Susan A | 1460 comments Thanks Fran! I need to think about this. I think I my reading tastes are too narrow. If my reading tastes are very different from my partner's, I don't think I would be successful at finding authors in a genre I don't read that are new to my partner. I'm probably over-thinking this.

message 17: by ❀~Amy~❀ (new)

❀~Amy~❀ (ajpayne75) | 546 comments I don't usually like challenges where I have to give and get rec's, but it sounds like we have lots of choices here. I'll give it a try. =D

message 18: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11003 comments Susan A wrote: "Thanks Fran! I need to think about this. I think I my reading tastes are too narrow. If my reading tastes are very different from my partner's, I don't think I would be successful at finding author..."

You have plenty of time to decide Susan :)

If it helps you decide at all, I will be posting a few links to lists of current releases that correspond to the categories called. You can always choose one from there if you want to (assuming they haven't read it already).

Your partner will also be able to choose from your group thread, the general recommendations thread, as well as their own shelves. I'm hoping this will be a no pressure, no hard feelings, glad to get some new titles kind of challenge. Just a fun way to chat with some new people (or friends) and maybe find a few new books to read :)

message 19: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3334 comments I think I'd like to give this one a try!

message 20: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments I'm in!! :D

message 21: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11003 comments I've got everyone up to here :)

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 1076 comments I would like to give this one a try please add me

message 23: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6904 comments I'm in!

message 24: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 1854 comments I'm in!

message 25: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11003 comments Updated to here :)

Tink Magoo is bad at reviews (tinkmagoo) | 981 comments I'll give it a go too

message 27: by Emeli (new)

Emeli Webb | 292 comments sounds like fun im in

message 28: by Mariana (new)

Mariana (lyqrycy) | 548 comments I'm in

message 29: by Amina (new)

Amina I'm in

message 30: by Sunshine (new)

Sunshine (sunshine22222) | 921 comments Hey Fran,

Do we get to choose any preferences or hard limits, up front, that may help a partner?

message 31: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11003 comments Hi Sunshine!
Yes, you can discuss your preferences/limits with your partner in your group thread :)

message 32: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (katkattrinn) | 629 comments I am in

message 33: by Sunshine (new)

Sunshine (sunshine22222) | 921 comments jumping up and down***

I'm in

message 34: by Sunshine (new)

Sunshine (sunshine22222) | 921 comments Fran wrote: "Hi Sunshine!
Yes, you can discuss your preferences/limits with your partner in your group thread :)"

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

message 35: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 548 comments I would like to participate

message 36: by Grace (new)

Grace | 1283 comments I'm in

message 37: by Poongothai (new)

Poongothai (poongsa) | 298 comments I'm in

message 38: by ♎ Nereta♎ (new)

♎ Nereta♎  (littlecleo) | 50 comments I am in :)

message 39: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Thanks for joining in everyone!!

I'm excited to get started!!

message 40: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments I'm in.

message 41: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1916 comments I'm in.

message 42: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1047 comments Sounds fun
I'm in!

message 43: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Jun 24, 2016 03:58PM) (new)

26 Participants so far - awesome!

2 more days to sign up for this challenge!!

message 44: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments Looking forward to getting teamed up Fran :)

message 45: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11003 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Looking forward to getting teamed up Fran :)"

Jane, you are our Queen of group challenges.......I can only hope to one day be in your league!

message 46: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments Fran wrote: "Jane (PS) wrote: "Looking forward to getting teamed up Fran :)"

Jane, you are our Queen of group challenges.......I can only hope to one day be in your league!"

Hahaha Fran! I think this one will be heaps of fun :)

message 47: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11003 comments Sign ups close at 6 pm EST tomorrow, July 26th

message 48: by Rachel C. (new)

Rachel C. (rachelus) | 578 comments I'm in!

message 49: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11003 comments Rachel C. wrote: "I'm in!"

Gotcha :)

message 50: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11003 comments Sign Ups are now CLOSED.

I will have the pairs and groups posted by tomorrow :)

Don't forget to 'friend' your partner if your profile is private and they are not already friends with you.

« previous 1