What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Three by Mistake and/or 4 desperate days//YA 3 kids kidnapped in Europe probably 1970s [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen (kar328) I'm not certain on much of what I remember but you guys amaze me with what you can solve. I read this in the 1970s but it may be written earlier. Three kids, a brother/sister and a schoolmate are kidnapped by a group, who want something from the brother/sister's father, a political attache/ambassador stationed in Europe. Spain keeps popping up in my brain, but not certain. The kids are kept locked up in a room/house near the water. The one scene I remember is when the kidnappers leave the boys, and take the girl up a flight of stairs. The boys managed to remove one of the risers and she can see their eyes as she's ascending and realizes they want her to stop so the kidnapper is on that stair and they can pull him off his feet.

message 2: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 53 comments I remember this book. I have a vague memory of the title being 'Hostage' but so many books have that title that hunting for it seems very difficult.

From memory one of the kids had asthma, and one of the kidnappers was very hairy.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen (kar328) Thanks, I'll take any clues I can get. I think I remember the asthma part.

message 4: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2106 comments http://www.librarything.com/list/577/...#

Three by mistake (Republished as: 4 desperate days)
by Richard Parker

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen (kar328) OMG, you got it!! Thank you so much! I don't know why I'm reliving my childhood in my 50s, but this is the one book I still needed out of the four I made posts about. I found copies of the other three and will get this one asap. Thanks again :-)

message 6: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2106 comments You're welcome. I've read the book myself. It's amazing how many kidnapping stories include asthma, which was why I made that list for easy reference. I have always re-read childhood books. It brings back great memories. Enjoy.

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen (kar328) bookel wrote: "You're welcome. I've read the book myself. It's amazing how many kidnapping stories include asthma, which was why I made that list for easy reference. I have always re-read childhood books. It brin..."

Thanks, I've already ordered a copy. You made my day.

message 8: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2106 comments Out of curiosity what were the other three books?

message 9: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34474 comments Mod
Three By Mistake by Richard Parker for the GR link.

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen (kar328) bookel wrote: "Out of curiosity what were the other three books?"

These were all books I read in the early 70s.

Laura's Luck/ Marilyn Sachs
Snow Treasure/Marie McSwigan
New Girl/Stella Pevsner
There's also another book I remembered, The Endless Steppe/Esther Hauzig that made a big impact on me. I just ordered it today as well.
My most favorite books then were The Trixie Belden series. I still have mine.

message 11: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2106 comments Laura's luck was one of my childhood favourites. I have many favourites, but among the ones I read again and again included Sachs' book, Baby island by Carol Ryrie Brink, My wolf my friend by Barbara Corcoran, White Ruff by Glenn Balch, The trolley car family by Eleanor Clymer, Shadows by Lynn Hall, R my name is Rosie by Barbara Cohen, Princess by Carolyn Lane, Blind flight by Hilary Milton, Who stole Kathy Young? By Margaret Goff Clark, A year at Sheepfold Farm by Susan Williams ... There are more but I'll stop there!

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen (kar328) I'm also a huge fan of the Ellen Emerson White's The President's Daughter series. Those were from the 80s, but then a new one came out in the past couple of years so I went back and reread them.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Three by Mistake (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Richard Parker (other topics)