Bryn Mawr School Book Discussion Group discussion

Creating Cultures of Thinking: The 8 Forces We Must Master to Truly Transform Our Schools
This topic is about Creating Cultures of Thinking
Creating Cultures of Thinking

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patti (new)

Patti | 63 comments Mod
This discussion is about Creating Cultures of Thinking.

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason George | 3 comments I have just started this book, but am very excited to see where it goes. I always find school culture to be an exciting topic, and I really like the more specific focus on a "culture of learning." I'm intrigued by the author's idea that we focus too heavily on curriculum and not enough on culture as we attempt to design effective learning for students. I look forward to more discussion!

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason George | 3 comments As I get further into this book, I really appreciate the way in which the author - in contrast to many books about education - provides a series of concrete suggestions for helping to create cultures of thinking. I love his focus on creating a "learning orientation" versus a "work orientation" among students. Here is a link with some resources drawn both from this book and his earlier work: http://www.ronritchhart.com/ronritchh....

If anyone else would like to collaborate on applying some of his ideas and discussing how they work with students throughout the coming year, I'd love to continue the conversation into the school year.

message 4: by Steve (new)

Steve | 7 comments I am not quite done, but I am finding this to be a very thought provoking read. After every few pages I find myself reflecting on both what happens in my classroom and what happens around our school as a whole. For some reason I am especially intrigued by the concept of "managing energy instead of managing time". This is something I read about once before but it really seems to resonate with me now. I think it fits in very well with the notions of being mindful as well as thinking about the positive vs. negative stresses that both students and faculty experience during the course of the school day and year.

I would definitely be interested in collaborating on these issues.

Steve