Start by marking “Creating Cultures of Thinking: The 8 Forces We Must Master to Truly Transform Our Schools” as Want to Read:

Discover why and how schools must become places where thinking is valued, visible, and actively promoted As educators, parents, and citizens, we must settle for nothing less than environments that bring out the best in people, take learning to the next level, allow for great discoveries, and propel both the individual and the group forward into a lifetime of learning. This ...more
Published March 9th 2015 by Jossey-Bass (first published February 4th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Creating Cultures of Thinking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creating Cultures of Thinking

Connie Weber
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you were going to read one, just one, book on education, because you were hoping to get a sense for what we can do to bring out the life in learning for all students--and teachers, of course as well--then choose this book. It is a profound read, an unusual combination of high level educational research combined with practical what-to-do-now ideas for launching into a whole new and much better plan for learning in classrooms. Learning with meaningfulness, depth, bustling energy, and full parti ...more
Tamara
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Admittedly, books that inspire my growth as a teacher are some of my favorites, so you'll have to trust me when I tell you that Creating Cultures of Thinking: The 8 Forces We Must Master to Truly Transform Our Schools takes that love to a whole new level. Creating Cultures of Thinking is the latest installment in a decade-long conversation that began for me in 2004 with Intellectual Character: What It Is, Why It Matters, and How to Get It, and continued with Making Thinking Visible in 2011. In t ...more
Maria Caplin
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Have to admit I chapter jumped this book. Certain a ones captivated me and I took a thousand notes others helped me reflect on best practices. Highly suggested if the goal is shifting the culture in a school.
Gail
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read that, appropriately, made me think a lot. I really appreciated the inspiring case studies and the careful analysis of them. I have been seeing thinking and opportunities to promote thinking everywhere since I finished it a few days ago. I am a future teacher, so I expect I will return to this book and get even more out of it later once I am actually in a classroom.
Kim
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Important read for educators. See my blog review here: http://kimessenburg.blogspot.jp/2017/...
Jeff
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
Ritchhart lays out a framework for examining the cultures of our classrooms and schools centered on eight cultural forces, expectations, language, time, opportunities, interactions, routines, modeling, and environment, with an eye to promoting the development of thinking and understanding.

Steeped in a school and a work community rooted in EL Education and the Deeper Learning network in addition to several years working with Ritchhart's thinking routines, I didn't find a lot new here. Instead th
Jimmy
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ritchart describes and elaborates on what makes a culture of thinking. Specifically, what are the aspects that we can include in our classrooms that not only make thinking visible, but sought after by teachers and students alike.

This is definitely not a beach read. It's a book whose chapters should be read in short bursts and given time to think about for a few days. It's useful as a book study for a faculty at a school, and would benefit from a structured workshop after the majority of a staff
Brenda
May 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this with a class and appreciated our discussions and support for changing and developing practice. Some chapters were richer than others. Definitely worth thinking about.
Aneta
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A practical guide to setting up a sustainable culture of thinking in schools. Definitely worth a read for teachers.
Diane
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Easy and enjoyable read that explains a little of the history of schools, how change happens and what learning can look like as schools adapt to their learners.
Amanda Amburgey
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The thinking routines in this book are great! Easy to implement in various ways within your class, for example, to increase empathy before reading a chapter in The Boy Harnessed the Wind, students did the See, Think, Wonder Routine with 2 photos I choose that showed 2 young children and 1 dog who were suffering different stages of the diseases of starvation. The routine lead the students to ask important questions.
Diz
Jan 14, 2016 rated it liked it
This book provides ideas on how to cultivate thinking in classrooms. I particularly liked the section on creating a physical classroom environment that encourages thinking. The thing that I don't like about it is that it is made up mostly of case studies. The downside of this is that the teaching situations are very particular, so you may get discouraged if your school doesn't allow you to do some of the things that the teachers in this book are able to do.
Witjestom
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ron Ritchhart beschrijft de acht krachten die volgens hem je schoolcultuur kunnen maken of breken; verwachtingen, taal, omgeving, tijd, moddeling, kansen, routines en interactie. Inzoomend op elk vd krachten afzonderlijk, wordt snel duidelijk hoe subtiel deze een niet gewenste cultuur in stand kunnen houden of kunnen veranderen.
Marc
Aug 21, 2015 rated it liked it
My rating of this book is lower than the average based on previous reading and conversations. The reading of this book reminded me somewhat of my reading of Friedman's The World is Flat. I'd read so much that referred to the book that it was somewhat anti-climactic when I read the actual book. Plenty of great ideas and a brilliant intro to the rest of Ritchhart's work.
Courtney
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read as a book club with a small group of colleagues. Great blend of philosophy, research and practice. Offers activities that can be implemented immediately in individual classrooms and suggestions for broader community transformation, as well.
Aaron Bolin
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent topic, but I'm not sure the authors really closed the deal. I had more questions than answers at the end of the book. I'd definitely recommend this book for educators, but the material seems somewhat incomplete.
Jarrod
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's a great book for a paradigm shift in your thinking about how you teach. It could have used more examples from other disciplines. Otherwise, a great resource.
Tracy
Jul 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
Although this book had very good points, it was such a dry read and not very interesting.
Gina
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think anyone/everyone should read the first chapter or two of this book about culture, structure, and the importance of belief systems in driving behavior. The rest is a lot of detail...
Mills College Library
370.152 R598 2015
Tina Ceratti
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book needs to be required reading for universities & school districts.
Kathleen Meehan
  • Who Owns the Learning? Preparing Students for Success in the Digital Age
  • The Third Teacher
  • Digital Leadership: Changing Paradigms for Changing Times
  • A Mindset for Learning: Teaching the Traits of Joyful, Independent Growth
  • Minds Made for Stories: How We Really Read and Write Informational and Persuasive Texts
  • Future Wise: Educating Our Children for a Changing World
  • Disrupting Thinking: Why How We Read Matters
  • Opening Minds: Using Language to Change Lives
  • Instructional Rounds in Education: A Network Approach to Improving Teaching and Learning
  • Leaders of Learning: How District, School, and Classroom Leaders Improve Student Achievement
  • Leaders of Their Own Learning: Transforming Schools Through Student-Engaged Assessment
  • The Curious Classroom: 10 Structures for Teaching with Student-Directed Inquiry
  • Better Conversations: Coaching Ourselves and Each Other to Be More Credible, Caring, and Connected
  • Everyday Editing: Inviting Students to Develop Skill and Craft in Writer's Workshop
  • Teaching with the Brain in Mind
  • Teaching for Comprehending and Fluency: Thinking, Talking and Writing about Reading K-8
  • Launch: Using Design Thinking to Boost Creativity and Bring Out the Maker in Every Student
  • Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions
Ron Ritchhart is currently a Senior Research Associate at Harvard Project Zero where his work focuses on such issues as teaching for understanding, the development of intellectual character, creative teaching, making students' thinking visible, and most recently the development of school and classroom culture. Ron's research and writings, particularly his theory of Intellectual Character and frame ...more
“When we recognize that true understanding of a discipline involves learning its processes and ways of thinking as well as its content knowledge, then we naturally create opportunities for developing those abilities.” 3 likes
“In the United States, a consistent finding from the National Assessment of Educational Progress is that students at all levels of testing (ages nine, thirteen, and seventeen) are generally able to show mastery of the procedures taught, but struggle to apply their knowledge to problem-solving situations that are not clear-cut matters of applying a rule (Carpenter, Corbitt, Kepner, Lindquist, & Reys, 1980).” 1 likes