The Sword and Laser discussion

Updraft (Bone Universe, #1)
This topic is about Updraft
107 views
Updraft > UD Part 1 (Spoilers through the wingtest)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alan (new)

Alan | 534 comments I like the characters and setting so far but part one left me with this nagging question ...

Basically, why does Kirit respond so very negatively to the idea of becoming a singer? They seem to be very high status in her world so I would have thought a big part of her response would be to be flattered by the offer. Similarly, why are the singers so antagonistic? Aren't there easier ways to convince her to join than something guaranteed to make her dislike them?

I guess I feel a bit like the disagreement is happening more because the story needs conflict than because it arises organically from the characters. I'm hoping to hear contradictory views because I like the book so far and would like to quiet that little voice in the back of my head.


message 2: by Joanna Chaplin (last edited Jun 06, 2016 06:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments Alan wrote: "I like the characters and setting so far but part one left me with this nagging question ...

Basically, why does Kirit respond so very negatively to the idea of becoming a singer? They seem to be ..."


Kirit idolizes her mother and wants to please her. I'm not convinced that she actually wants to be a trader for its own sake (although that's pretty good, too) as much as because it means becoming her mother's partner.


terpkristin | 4117 comments I've just finished this section and I guess I just assume that there will be more to common the Singers and why they seem so revered yet feared and maybe even reviled. Seems like a starting point for a religion, now that I think on it.


message 4: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Jun 06, 2016 06:44PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tassie Dave | 3491 comments Mod
I am just past this section as well.

Kirit doesn't want to be a Singer because it means giving up her family and friends. Also she doesn't want to have to punish (even kill) people who break the Laws, even someone she loves.


Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1861 comments Just finished the first part, and I agree, it seems to be more that she has her heart set on being with her mother, a woman she clearly admires greatly, and strives to be recognised by. Her mother is very independent, but it seems she earned this position by challenging the Singers. The role of a Singer locks her away in a tower, outside of the freedom to explore the skys that the trader roll seems to offer. Kirit will bring honour to her family if she joins the Singers, but she will just be a member of a secretive, powerful group, unable to cut her own identity like her mother has. I got the feeling that (putting the next bit in spoiler tags as it was an unexpected twist for me) (view spoiler)

I'm also wondering if the name Singer isn't off-putting to her, since she is frequently mocked for her singing voice.


Greg | 83 comments I think a lot of her response is based on what her dreams have been. If you've had your mind set on doing something and been dreaming about it and trying to achieve it it's hard to change direction. Especially when the way it's done is not saying "Hey you're awesome consider this" but more "We are going to do everything in our power to force/pressure you to do what we want"


Lara | 24 comments I agree that Kirit idolizes her mother and wants to be like her or even better. There is a weird sort of competition there for a mother daughter relationship. However, I also agree that she hasn't really thought about her options and has accepted her mother's distrust of Singers as a truth to live by.

But, I do also think there is a gap in the character development for Kirit. She is stubborn, but doesn't really change much.


Vanessa | 101 comments I also just finished the first part and am struggling with Kirit. I find her to be unlikeable, selfish and self-centered, and am having trouble sympathizing with her.

Anyone else feel same way? I'm hoping she changes as the story progresses, or the mystery of the bones gets more interesting, or Nat becomes the main protagonist instead...


Lara | 24 comments Vanessa wrote: "I also just finished the first part and am struggling with Kirit. I find her to be unlikeable, selfish and self-centered, and am having trouble sympathizing with her.

Anyone else feel same way? I..."


I felt that Kirit was a typical teen focused on her future. She doesn't have many friends, and tailors herself after her mother, who is ambitious. Her life is basically school and learning a bit from her mother about being a trader in the future. She isn't given many opportunities to be focused on others and isn't taught to care either.

However, she doesn't seem to care that Elna and Nat are only up high because of her mother. She accepts them like family and doesn't lord anything over them. To me, that is the first sign of her true character--that she doesn't sneer at those who are worse off than she is. In fact, she is more open than Nat when she considers Elna's behavior towards Tobias and treats him as a person.


Paulo Limp (paulolimp) | 164 comments Vanessa wrote: I also just finished the first part and am struggling with Kirit. I find her to be unlikeable, selfish and self-centered, and am having trouble sympathizing with her.

I'm feeling the same. Kirit's motivations are making me really confuse. Later on the book, her love/hate feelings for the Singers only make me feel worse. Sometimes (view spoiler)

Oh, teenagers...


message 11: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 24 comments Paulo wrote: " Vanessa wrote: I also just finished the first part and am struggling with Kirit. I find her to be unlikeable, selfish and self-centered, and am having trouble sympathizing with her.

I'm feeling ..."


As I got towards the end of the book, I had issues with (view spoiler). I think it was a lack of character development. She learns skills and information, but doesn't really develop as a person.


Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments Paulo wrote: " Vanessa wrote: I also just finished the first part and am struggling with Kirit. I find her to be unlikeable, selfish and self-centered, and am having trouble sympathizing with her."

I think that she's kind of teenager who has a hefty capacity of self-deception, in this case I think her reasons for wanting to be a trader, who still experiences these few blinding moments of insight about herself and others. She's groping toward immaturity with fits and starts. I grew up with folks like that. I was for a while like that. While I'm not sure I want to be best buds with her, I found that very refreshing.


Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments Lara wrote: "...I had issues with (view spoiler).

Shortened because nested formatting is weird. I think there's two aspects to that. Long bit in here: (view spoiler)


message 14: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 24 comments Joanna, I agree with much of what you say. (view spoiler)


Andrew Knighton | 158 comments Even having finished the book, I'm still a bit undecided about this. I had no problem with Kirit's motive to be like her mother, but her rejection of the powerful opportunity to become a singer felt a little underdeveloped. If she'd considered the potential upside of that just a little more while forcefully rejecting it, finding reasons to ignore the benefits, I'd have bought into it a lot more. Similarly, the very blunt way of pushing her into being a singer felt like it could have been the best option for those involved, but wasn't given enough explanation to quite make it convincing. Why didn't they try anything with more carrot and less stick? There were probably reasons, but what were they?

That said, in reality we often do stupid, unnuanced things. We'll sometimes buy into whatever reasoning best fits the actions we're most comfortable taking, or have already committed to. So in that sense, Kirit's actions were very convincing for a real person. Maybe I just expect fictional characters to be more consistent than real people.


Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1616 comments Just finished part 1. Am I the only one who thought she obviously would not get the wingmark because it would be too easy and the plot needs to move? I mean, since she was threatened by Wik I knew she would end up in The Spire one way or the other. And getting a wingmark is not one of them.

I agree though that her mother's move was the unexpected twist.


Trike | 8152 comments I figured she'd end up at the Spire since that holds all the secrets to the mysteries set up in the first couple chapters, but the *how* of that happening was still -- wait for it -- up in the air.

So she could have passed or failed the wingtest, as that was immaterial to the plot. Schrodinger's flier, basically. At the end of part one it was obvious where she was headed so it didn't matter to me how she ended up there.

Spoiler-free comment: Come to find out in part two, though, Wilde took the easiest and dumbest way possible. Slightly spoilery comment: (view spoiler)


Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1616 comments Hmm. You had a point there.
Anyway, I decided not to continue after finding out the series is (view spoiler)


Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments Silvana wrote: "Hmm. You had a point there.
Anyway, I decided not to continue after finding out the series is [spoilers removed]"


Hm. I'm not sure that that's exactly right. (view spoiler)


Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1616 comments Thanks for clarifying, Joanna.
I guess I would still stop though, I haven't felt any connection with Kirit yet. I did like the flying stuff. Might come back to this book but not in the near future (or later after the second one is out and see if it gets better).


Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments Silvana wrote: "Thanks for clarifying, Joanna.
I guess I would still stop though, I haven't felt any connection with Kirit yet. I did like the flying stuff. Might come back to this book but not in the near future ..."


Life's too short to slog through a book you're not liking.


back to top