Outlander Series discussion

miscellaneous > Series end?

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (vanessaeden) | 549 comments How and when do you think the series will end?
What are your theories about how the series will end and how many more books do you think are left unwritten in the series before we have to say goodbye to Claire and Jamie ?

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1360 comments Diana has said that there will be at least another book after MOBY. I think there will be at least two. For some reason I think Claire will die in the past and Jamie will out live her for a short while. I think he has the ability to travel to the future in his dreams (thats how he knew things about his grand kids that he would not have known) He longs for Claire and travels to see her in his dreams, and that is what the apparition is that Frank sees in the beginning of the series.

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1360 comments That is what we all want but it seems that there has been too much longing and adversity in their relationship for DG to do that. They are perfect but their life is never perfect so I feel that we will not get the sweet happy ending we want. No matter how it ends it will be good and sad though because this has been an epic journey for us all.

message 4: by Mrsbooks (new)

Mrsbooks | 399 comments I would think they were going to die if there were more books beyond one left to be written.

To kill them off so young feels quite tragic. But to kill them when they're older is more Notebookish. Lol

Either way, Diana has to stop writing about them by a certain time. Otherwise its a story about bowel movements gone wrong, arthritis and memory loss. Etc.

message 5: by Donna (last edited May 09, 2014 10:04AM) (new)

Donna (dantaramian) Well accord to Herself FAQ page (http://www.dianagabaldon.com/resource...)

"Where will the story end? SPOILER

I think the Outlander books will end in 1800. If this tells you anything, more power to you. {g} And yes, the last book will have a happy ending, though I confidently expect it to leave the readers in floods of tears, anyway."

And I think I calculated that both would be approaching 80 - which in those days is very very old

message 6: by Donna (new)

Donna (dantaramian) gertt wrote: "I had read that before too, Donna, which is why I don't think either will die, but have finally found peace...something they never really had."

that has always been my feeling but Herself has surprised me sometimes

message 7: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments Donna wrote: "Well accord to Herself FAQ page (http://www.dianagabaldon.com/resource...)

I think the Outlander books will end in 1800. If this tells you anything, more po..."

Thanks for the link! I love reading Diana's comments from time to time! Even if I've already read them, I always find something new or thought provoking!

message 8: by Tere (last edited May 10, 2014 01:16PM) (new)

Tere Fredericks I love how y'all call her Herself. I love that.

I have realized this series COULD go the way the Kent Family Chronicles did -- from before the Revolutionary War to just after the Civil War. We lose some characters, but we have new ones we have come to love. This is how this could work -- we DO have Roger & Bree, et al. and they could and should have a lot of adventures without Jamie & Claire.

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda (uncbballfan) | 5 comments Tere wrote: "I love how y'all call her Herself. I love that.

I have realized this series COULD go the way the Kent Family Chronicles did -- from before the Revolutionary War to just after the Civil War. We l..."

Well, Bree is in her early 20's; Roger is closer to 30, I think (I'm currently re-reading the Fiery Cross, a few years before the Revolutionary War). So the end of the Civil War is almost 90 years in the future - not sure I would want to see Bree and Roger toddling around at over 110 years old.

I think the 9th book will be the end of the series. While still writing Outlander, her agent obtained for her a 3-book contract. While writing the 2nd book, she knew that the 3rd book couldn't possibly contain all she wanted to include. The same happened with books 4 & 5. So she initially thought she had a double trilogy, the first 3 books dealing with the Jacobite uprising, the second 3 dealing with the American Revolution.

Luckily for us, #8 is going on sale in 18 days. I think what we will end up with is a triple trilogy.

message 10: by Mrsbooks (new)

Mrsbooks | 399 comments I agree. I don't think she can end it the book after MOBY. I think it will take two more after MOBY.

message 11: by Marijane (new)

Marijane | 31 comments Diana just posted an excerpt from Book 9 on her FB page!!!

message 12: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (EllenChristine) | 245 comments You all are so far advanced. I'm having a really hard time re-reading the bad bits in Outlander. I'm afraid for Jamie. Lord knows how to get through the rest of the series! One gets very invested in this!

message 13: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (vanessaeden) | 549 comments Omg can ya give us a link so we can read it please?! I am soooooo stoked!!!!!!!!

message 14: by Brizo (new)

Brizo (brizosdream) | 320 comments Ellen wrote: "You all are so far advanced. I'm having a really hard time re-reading the bad bits in Outlander. I'm afraid for Jamie. Lord knows how to get through the rest of the series! One gets very invest..."

Get the audio books it you can do it really fast if you put them on your MP3 player.. I think I did all 8 in 3 months the 1st time. Now I can just go back to the parts I loved...

message 15: by Brizo (last edited Oct 03, 2014 06:36AM) (new)

Brizo (brizosdream) | 320 comments Vanessa Eden wrote: "Omg can ya give us a link so we can read it please?! I am soooooo stoked!!!!!!!!"

Go here: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorDianaG... or search for
#Dailylines in her account.

message 16: by Juli (last edited Oct 03, 2014 10:27AM) (new)

Juli Donoho | 7 comments Claire is awoken by a shake and hears her name but not in Jamies voice but Franks. "Claire, Claire, are you alright as he knocks the purple flowers from her hand. Groggy Claire opens her eyes to see Frank. The young Frank from 1947 on their Honeymoon. "Where am I", Claire exclaims. I mean what year is it?

Frank laughs, oh darling those purple flowers are hallucinates and you have been dreaming. Probably of far away places by the looks of you. Now let me help you up, I have so much to tell you about what the reverend and I found about Jack Randle and his nemeses John Fraser. You do remember the stories I was telling you this morning.

Claire rubbing her eyes hoping to bring focus to Franks sharp face. You mean, it was all a dream?

Ducking the tomatoes...LOL

message 17: by Wendy F, biblioholic (last edited Oct 03, 2014 10:38AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments LMAO, that would be awful.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 143 comments Wendy F wrote: "LMAO, that would be awful."

No doubt. This kind of twist would be great for a single book story...not so much for series spanning as many years as this one has.

message 19: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I think the idea of it is funny, but if it really ends like that I'll be really angry, lmao.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 143 comments As would most fans, I'm sure. The psycho ones might even rage on DG.

message 21: by Juli (new)

Juli Donoho | 7 comments How about if this is added.

"She glances to her left hand for a silver ring but the shimmer of the gold lay wrapped tightly around her long thin finger.

With mixed feelings of relief and sadness she notices a faint scar across her wrist. Had it been a dream.....The end

message 22: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I still think I'll be upset, lol.

message 23: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) I wish that would be a dream Jamie was having that Murtag had been killed while all along some lady liked the looks of him and took him home and his amnesia kept him away from Jamie all that time

message 24: by Brizo (new)

Brizo (brizosdream) | 320 comments Mrsbooks wrote: "I would think they were going to die if there were more books beyond one left to be written.
To kill them off so young feels quite tragic. But to kill them when they're older is more Notebookish...."

LOL! Not if she took them to the future where they knew how to deal medically with aging (gene repair, part replacements). She could start a whole new series based on that, I would if I was her. Books/movies about the future even sell better than the historical ones. She could be the next "Frank Herbert (author of Dune)" I think she has a Dune like story in her. I think with her imagination she'd make a great Dune type future story writer don't you think?

message 25: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1360 comments I feel like taking Outlander to the future would be just milking the story and not be good. I would rather see her write stories of some of the other characters like Young Ian and Master Raymond.

message 26: by April (new)

April | 8 comments Diane wrote: "I feel like taking Outlander to the future would be just milking the story and not be good. I would rather see her write stories of some of the other characters like Young Ian and Master Raymond."
I would love a series with Master Raymond!

message 27: by Brizo (last edited Oct 04, 2014 09:59AM) (new)

Brizo (brizosdream) | 320 comments Donna wrote: "Well accord to Herself FAQ page (http://www.dianagabaldon.com/resource...)

I think the Outlander books will end in 1800. If this tells you anything, more po..."

That was a very interesting read, I knew that FAQ page was there but I was busy reading the books so I referenced something in it and never read the whole thing. There actually is quite a lot of interesting concepts in there, that gives you an idea of how her mind works and her stories link together.

First however, she started writing this blog several years ago so things she blogged about might have changed. She leaves things open, and talks about changing things even as she writing them. Like when she says I think the "Outlander books will end in 1800 if this tells you anything more power to you" She doesn’t say they will, the more power to you part says to me she hasn't really made up her mind either. She does say the books will have a "Happy Ending" so you can assume something from that, that Claire and Jamie will be together when it end (Otherwise it might not be happy).

She also discusses things like writing a series about "Master Raymond" (time traveler, Claire's and Geillis' ancestor and the ancestor of I guess all who have that gene and do time travel. i.e Roger, Bree, their kids, and others.) She said "So he (Master Raymond) knows Claire, when he sees her, as one of his great-great, etc. grand-daughters. And Gillian/Geillis is another" From this blog she tells us she has already started writing a book (1 chapter done) about Master Raymond (very interesting don't you think?).

When she talks about "the couple from Herculaneum (or possibly Pompeii) whose skeletons had been found during the excavation, lying the manner I described in Dragonfly–his arms around her, trying to protect her when the fire came down on them. One of the most touching and dramatic pictures I’ve ever seen. It’s stuck in my mind for years and years, so it was there when my subconscious needed it as an image of mortality and love." This statement could give us a hint of a potential happy ending to the Outlander Series..

How about Claire and Jamie in a cave frozen perhaps in an eternal embrace waiting for time to thaw them out? Remember the Cave Ian found? DG stated image of "mortality and love" a couple frozen in time in an embrace? How might this fit into Master Raymond's "time traveler" story she's working on. She say's Claire will show up again in that series. Diana says " So in fact, we’ll see Claire, Jamie, and Geillis again, then– but as secondary characters in Master Raymond’s story (you recall, Geillis mentions having met “one other” (time-traveler) in Voyager, but doesn’t tell Claire who it is)." Interesting don't you think??

When she talks about him she says "He (Master Raymond) is–or was–a shaman, born with the ability to heal through empathy" Master Raymond or one of his ancestors did that twice so far in the books – once when Claire was ill, once when Roger saw the blue hands heal his father. Remember Roger also had glowing blue hands; so Bree and Rogers children are double decedents getting the gene from Both Bree (thru Claire) and Roger (thru Geillis) which is why they have that telekinesis power. Telekinesis is where a person manipulates matter with their mind (interesting thought). Who else do we know had that ability: the Indian healer, definitely Roger and potentially his kids and perhaps even Claire herself (although she may not know how to use that power) how about the Indian shaman's granddaughter who married Ian and had his child? Remember the Indian Shaman telling Claire she would be a great healer when she had white hair?

Wow there are so many things in this blog that just gets your mind going.. If you relate it back to the 8 books so far. I can definitely see her writing a book that takes the characters into the future at some point. Perhaps as a kick off for the Master Raymond stories..

message 28: by Brizo (new)

Brizo (brizosdream) | 320 comments gertt wrote: "I would love a story about young Ian, as well as one about Jamie's parents.

Raymond would be interesting, but I'm not one for books on the future."

But Diana with her wonderful imagination and ability to story tell could write a great book about the future.. Dune was sort of that kind of story. Have you ever read that?

message 29: by Mrsbooks (new)

Mrsbooks | 399 comments I don't know. I just can't see a historical book turning Sifi lol.

Side note: Geillis is also a descendent of Raymond? I don't remember reading anything that hinted that...or was it just in Dianas blog?

Also, I think the other time traveler that Diana was referring to that Geillis had met was the guy from Moby
(view spoiler)

message 30: by Brizo (new)

Brizo (brizosdream) | 320 comments Mrsbooks wrote: "I don't know. I just can't see a historical book turning Sifi lol.

Side note: Geillis is also a descendent of Raymond? I don't remember reading anything that hinted that...or was it just in Diana..."

This all came from reading her blog. In Voyager Geillis did mention to Claire that she met another time traveler but doesn't say who, so perhaps it was Master Raymond as well? Claire met him in Paris, and I don't know who that was with Roger (perhaps him, perhaps another descendant of his?) Then their was the Indian and the guy who raped Claire all were time travelers, so are they all descendants?? I guess if he's been time traveling since 4ooBC or so as she describes, he could have lots of descendents. The question I have is where is he from? Another planet? Here? Lot of good stuff to contemplate over the 6 month break (LOL!)

message 31: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (EllenChristine) | 245 comments Question to all:

Have you all read the Lord John novels/novellas and the entire chronology of Outlander books? Are they relevant to the storyline? what do they add?

message 32: by Mrsbooks (new)

Mrsbooks | 399 comments I've heard that out of the Lord John books, the one that is more to the story of outlander is The Scottish Prisoner. I haven't read them though. I have read the 2 short stories though about Rogers Dad and Laoghairs daughter in Paris. Those are both important.

message 33: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1360 comments I do not remember one of Claire's rapists being a time traveler. Did I miss something?

message 34: by Mrsbooks (new)

Mrsbooks | 399 comments Diane wrote: "I do not remember one of Claire's rapists being a time traveler. Did I miss something?"

The almost rapist. I forget his name. But the guy who was whistling The Yellow Submarine.

message 35: by Brizo (new)

Brizo (brizosdream) | 320 comments gertt wrote: "No I haven't, and I'm sure Diana would do a great job, she's an excellent story teller....I'm just not a reader of SiFi."

I don't read much sci-fi either, but I did like Dune. I like sci-fi movies that are more based on reality or something you conceive as real in the future. Dune was about mining on other planets. She also mentioned going to Sci-fi writers conventions.. it could be interesting if she does a historical mixed with Sci-fi that might be a 1st. After all Master Raymond did start out in the way way past, so forward travel is definitely possible as well.

message 36: by Kathy Anne (last edited Oct 04, 2014 12:03PM) (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) Didn`t one of them have something to do with the Indian guy with the shoes.I did read The Scottish Prisoner a couple months ago and it tells a lot in it about Raymond and his time traveler decendents.I didn`t care much for those books but I really liked this one because yes it did tie into the Outlander series and did some clearing up of the gold and anyway I think it`s well worth reading because of the info.

message 37: by Brizo (last edited Oct 04, 2014 12:14PM) (new)

Brizo (brizosdream) | 320 comments Ellen wrote: "Question to all:

Have you all read the Lord John novels/novellas and the entire chronology of Outlander books? Are they relevant to the storyline? what do they add?"

No but I just took 3 of audio books from the Lord John series out of the library. I've just been so pre-occupied with all this Outlander stuff I haven't gotten to them yet. I think they should fill in stuff, DG mentions something about Jamie being in one of them. I'm looking forward to reading them sometime soon.

message 38: by Brizo (new)

Brizo (brizosdream) | 320 comments gertt wrote: "Diane wrote: "I do not remember one of Claire's rapists being a time traveler. Did I miss something?"

Does Claire get raped again? Is this in MOBY?"

(view spoiler)

message 39: by Mrsbooks (last edited Oct 04, 2014 12:38PM) (new)

Mrsbooks | 399 comments Not in Moby though. He (view spoiler)

message 40: by Brizo (new)

Brizo (brizosdream) | 320 comments Mrsbooks wrote: "Not in Moby though. He [spoilers removed]"
Ok I couldn't remember which book that was in.. thanks

message 41: by Mary (new)

Mary (poetsdream) | 196 comments Brizo wrote: She also discusses things like writing a series about "Master Raymond" (time traveler, Claire's and Geillis' ancestor and the ancestor of I guess all who have that gene and do time travel. i.e Roger, Bree, their kids, and others.) She said "So he (Master Raymond) knows Claire, when he sees her, as one of his great-great, etc. grand-daughters. And Gillian/Geillis is another" From this blog she tells us she has already started writing a book (1 chapter done) about Master Raymond (very interesting don't you think?).

That is very interesting that she started a book about Master Raymond. I think she does like sci-fi, she said her inspiration for a character in Outlander came from Dr. Who, british sci-fi show. Her blog was very interesting indeed I wonder where she will take them into the future or just him visiting them in the past. I never would of thought Geillis and Claire were related somehow? That does put a twist on the story so far. So does that mean that Bree and Roger are related as well, as Roger descends from Geillis and Bree from Claire?

As for the end of the series, I wouldn't mind them going to the future or even the past. I just wouldn't want to see Jamie and Claire die unless I knew they would be coming back in another life.

message 42: by Mary (new)

Mary (poetsdream) | 196 comments gertt wrote: "I would love a story about young Ian, as well as one about Jamie's parents.

Raymond would be interesting, but I'm not one for books on the future...I wouldn't even care to see Jamie in the future...."

I would too, I think young Ian was one of my favorite characters. I also think she needs to develop William more and I hope she does that in her last book. I'd like to see William and Jamie become close. Then Sam could play them both they are supposed to look alike. :)

message 43: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1360 comments Either way they are related because Dougal was Jamie's uncle and he was the father of Gellis' baby that becomes rogers ancestor. The generations are so far removed that I would not be concerned with inbreeding. I think their kids are so good at traveling because they inherited the gene from both parents so they are stronger. Also since they are kids and are starting so young makes their potential that much more.

message 44: by Mary (new)

Mary (poetsdream) | 196 comments Diane wrote: "Either way they are related because Dougal was Jamie's uncle and he was the father of Gellis' baby that becomes rogers ancestor. The generations are so far removed that I would not be concerned wit..."

Yes, I forgot about Dougal being the father.

message 45: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Ash | 14 comments The time traveler's name is/was Donner. He was from the 1960's.

message 46: by Mary (new)

Mary (poetsdream) | 196 comments Juli wrote: "Claire is awoken by a shake and hears her name but not in Jamies voice but Franks. "Claire, Claire, are you alright as he knocks the purple flowers from her hand. Groggy Claire opens her eyes to ..."

I wouldn't like that, either... yuck!

message 47: by Mary (new)

Mary (poetsdream) | 196 comments Brizo wrote: "How about Claire and Jamie in a cave frozen perhaps in an eternal embrace waiting for time to thaw them out? Remember the Cave Ian found?"

I like that idea, and I do remember the cave Ian found. Also in DiA the cave with the lovers skeletons they found in an embrace. She could do something like that, and lead into a Master Raymond book that way. Who do you think Master Raymond will turn out to be? An 2000 year old alien? What is a time traveler, do they have to just be from our world?

message 48: by Carol (new)

Carol | 193 comments Well, Let's not forget that Diana was watching "Dr. Who" when she start started writing Outlander, and that her inspiration for Jamie was an 18th century Highlander! Maybe "The Doctor" will figure in somehow? Time Lords? That'd be a hoot! Nahhhh..

One thing that I read that I think is really kool, though, is that the actor that played the role of that highlander will be in the series, playing the commander of Wentworth prison. I love that!