What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Kid's Christmas Collection [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 3 comments I had a collection of around 12 Christmas stories that I read when I was very young - mid to late 1990's - that I have since lost. I'll tell you what I can remember.

One of the stories (if I remember correctly, it was the first one) was about a little girl and boy who help an injured bird in the park in the winter. The little girl turned out to be a Princess and they grew up never seeing one another again. Time comes for local young men to compete for her hand in marriage. There's the usual tests of stamina and strength and this poor boy does well in all of them. I think the other guy is tied with him. So the King makes a new test of "finesse" and tells them they have until tomorrow morning to make the Princess a dress. Whichever dress she likes best will be the winner. So they're each locked in a room with fabric and thread and all manner of supplies. The poor boy makes a very nice dress with the help of the same bird from their childhood. The other guy makes an awful mess that she can't even get all the way on. So the poor kid gets to marry the Princess and they live happily ever after.

Another of the stories involves a little girl who's family just moved and doesn't have enough money for a "real" Christmas. Her friend had given her a brand new box of crayons before they left and she uses them to make a cardboard tree and wreath. The Sepia crayon comes to life and uses magic to make them real.

There is one that is told from the point of view of Evan A. Mouse, the mouse from The Night Before Christmas. According to Evan the credited author had a terrible cold and he wrote the poem instead. The story goes on to detail how Evan met Santa and helped him nurse a cold as well.

The last story I can remember is one about several Santas. It talks about how each planet has its own Santa and after delivering gifts, they each get a gift for their "supervisor" and hope to be chosen as the best gift of the year. Our Santa is mocked by the others because Earth is "primitive" and a "cultural wasteland". However, he brings a cup of snow from the first snowfall of the season and is awarded best gift since it was a gift from the heart rather than a gift meant to show off.

I know there are more stories in this collection, but I can't remember the rest. I also can't for the life of me remember the title, author, publication information or even the cover art. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I hope to be able to share these stories I loved with my husband and daughter. Thanks in advance!

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4885 comments Were there any illustrations in the book? If so were they colorful, realistic, full page, different style for every story, etc?

Can you remember how the first story with the princess related to Christmas?
What country were you in when you read this book? Language?

message 3: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4885 comments I think I found it

Christmas Bedtime Stories Christmas Bedtime Stories (Great Illustrated Classics) by Claudia Vurnakes

On the Google Books page, when searching through the book, "Evan A. Mouse," "Princess," "bluebird," "dress," and "crayon" were a few of the words found.
https://books.google.com/books?id=knE...

message 4: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 3 comments THANK YOU SO MUCH! I would have answered your earlier comment, but I was having trouble with my computer yesterday and didn't get a chance to check on this. That is the book I was looking for!!

I don't know how to put this in the "Solved" area, but it has been solved. ^_^

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33466 comments Mod
Great! Glad you found your book, Lynda.

I moved your request to a Solved folder by clicking "edit" beside the topic/header (using the desktop website).

message 6: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 3 comments Thanks!

message 7: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4885 comments yay! Glad it was found.