Outlander Series discussion

Outlander on Starz S2 > Episode 13 - Dragonfly in Amber

Comments Showing 1-50 of 224 (224 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments farewell season 2 :(

message 2: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Eversole (dearnabby) | 39 comments Hello seasons 3 & 4!

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments The final episode is going to be 90min and the long awaited reveal of Roger and Brianna

message 4: by Liza (new)

Liza (lizaburgos) yes. 90 mins! Its going to be emotional. Anyone ready?

message 5: by M. (new)

M. MacKinnon | 121 comments I'm getting my tissues ready!

message 6: by Miss Melly (new)

Miss Melly | 34 comments I don't know what I'll do with my life when it's over LOL

message 7: by Shanah (new)

Shanah | 31 comments Go back and watch/ read again. That's what I do during droutlander.

message 8: by Miss Melly (new)

Miss Melly | 34 comments Shanah wrote: "Go back and watch/ read again. That's what I do during droutlander."

Haha. Starting watching series 1 again tonight and re-read the first book a few days ago.

message 9: by M. (new)

M. MacKinnon | 121 comments All of the above, plus listen to the books on audiobooks, starting with the first.

message 10: by MichaelCollins (new)

MichaelCollins | 818 comments I'm awaiting E13 with quite a bit of trepidation as this could be a real hard ep with Culloden and Clair's journey back. I'm a new member here who hasn't read any of the books but am pretty sure THAT will change after the finale and we get into the Droughtlander phase.

The series has really sucked me in and perusing the message groups on these books really indicate I'm missing quite a bit -- time to rectify that by diving into the series.

message 11: by Liza (new)

Liza (lizaburgos) I have to finish reading Voyager and continue reading the series until season 3....

message 12: by MichaelCollins (new)

MichaelCollins | 818 comments Oh certainly -- pretty sure Voyager is coming up once DIA -- and the Starz finale is over

message 13: by MichaelCollins (new)

MichaelCollins | 818 comments Oh certainly -- pretty sure Voyager is coming up once DIA -- and the Starz finale is over

message 14: by Miss Melly (new)

Miss Melly | 34 comments 6 days to go..... Can't wait to discuss episode 13 with all of you :)

message 15: by MichaelCollins (new)

MichaelCollins | 818 comments Miss Melly wrote: "6 days to go..... Can't wait to discuss episode 13 with all of you :)"

THAT is true -- Sat felt so empty with no episode, especially since this one is key to the story.

Reading hard to make sure I'm finished DIA by them

message 16: by Miss Melly (new)

Miss Melly | 34 comments 5 days....
I'm in Australia and will get the episode on Sunday - is it the same for you guys?

message 17: by MichaelCollins (new)

MichaelCollins | 818 comments No we will get it 8pm EDT on Sat July 9 -- and it seems like a lifetime away

message 18: by Miss Melly (new)

Miss Melly | 34 comments You lucky buggers :)

message 19: by MichaelCollins (new)

MichaelCollins | 818 comments Only when it flashes on Starz -- best to stay away from twitter and here til Sunday

message 20: by Miss Melly (new)

Miss Melly | 34 comments Good advice Michael Collins

message 21: by Miss Melly (new)

Miss Melly | 34 comments Good advice Michael Collins

message 22: by MichaelCollins (new)

MichaelCollins | 818 comments The twitterverse will likely blow up and these boards will be pretty fierce especially since this is a key ep. Trying to finish Dragonfly in Amber first.

message 23: by Zoey (new)

Zoey  (rozannen) | 229 comments Its not too bad for us Aussies. With the time difference 8pm Saturday night in the US is roughly (I think) about lunchtime Sunday here, so its only a few hours wait :)

message 24: by Miss Melly (new)

Miss Melly | 34 comments I know what I'll be doing at lunchtime in Sunday :)
In the meantime I've been bingeing on all the episodes up to now. Jamie's voice - omg, he could read the phone book out loud and I'd listen

message 25: by Liza (last edited Jul 07, 2016 08:58PM) (new)

Liza (lizaburgos) I am counting the hours..tomorrow Xfinity launches the final episode at 9:15pm - Pacific time (online only).

message 26: by MichaelCollins (new)

MichaelCollins | 818 comments A tweet from Maril Davis on how to prepare for the finale included advice like 1) Have a box of tissues available 2) A bottle of whiskey ready

message 27: by Liza (new)

Liza (lizaburgos) MichaelCollins wrote: "A tweet from Maril Davis on how to prepare for the finale included advice like 1) Have a box of tissues available 2) A bottle of whiskey ready"

hehe I should have bought a bottle of whiskey. thank you for the advice! :)

message 28: by Liza (last edited Jul 08, 2016 11:22PM) (new)

Liza (lizaburgos) All I can say is that you will cry...
And that you will love Claire's wardrobe .

The story is from beginning to end...(book wise) so if you are familiar with the book, here's the story that was never told .....

Hopefully we can discuss more after everyone has watched the last episode. I just don't want to ruin it for anyone because I have A LOT to say.

message 29: by Liza (new)

Liza (lizaburgos) *hint* ---- Maria Callas, Jackie O, Audrey Hepburn.

message 30: by Silverblades (new)

Silverblades | 265 comments While my smartphone miraculously survived it's plunge into my grandma's toilet, my speakers and headphones jack did not, therefore I may not get to watch this episode until MONDAY!

message 31: by MichaelCollins (new)

MichaelCollins | 818 comments 11 more hours

message 32: by MichaelCollins (new)

MichaelCollins | 818 comments The finale was awesome -- good incentive to push on and finish Dragonfly in Amber and then move on to Voyager. Unfortunately I'm betting I have alot of time as they likely won't proceed with S2 tile April 2017??

message 33: by Liza (new)

Liza (lizaburgos) Yep. next year is Season 3

message 34: by Miss Melly (new)

Miss Melly | 34 comments Just finished. Wow. Don't want to say anything until everyone's seen it - but I think Australia was last to receive it?
When you're ready team - let me know ...

message 36: by MichaelCollins (new)

MichaelCollins | 818 comments Paul wrote: "my review http://paullevinson.blogspot.com/2016..."

Good review -- and yeah -- I think people are in agreement as to how outstanding a finish to the Season it was. It was interesting how they worked in the "buzzing" noise at the Stones, given warning as to who likely could time travel (ie everyone but Jamie)

Its gonna be a loooon Droughtlander but at least it gives me incentive to finish DIA and push into Voyager.

message 37: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 43 comments Thanks!

message 38: by MichaelCollins (new)

MichaelCollins | 818 comments Reading some of the twitter leads to the show writers comments
"Voyager is a really big book with a lot of action and adventure"
Makes me want to press forward forward to Voyager and a, missing the show already. S3 is evidently in pre-production but is still a years away

message 39: by Miss Melly (new)

Miss Melly | 34 comments Michael Collins - I think you'll like Voyager. Claire's explanation of events to roger and bree is a lot more satisfying in the book. It was quite fast on screen - so much to get through in 90 mins!
Paul - nice review. You haven't read the books? Aren't you curious to find out???

I think I might read voyager again - for the third time :)

What did you all think of Bree? Quite the pain in the arse, I thought . Haha.
But Roger.... Aye, he'll do.

message 40: by ☘ Erin K ☘ (new)

☘ Erin K ☘ | 23 comments Miss Melly wrote: "What did you all think of Bree? Quite the pain in the arse, I thought . Haha.
But Roger.... Aye, he'll do. ..."

I agree. Roger is fairly close to how I pictured him in my mind. I think I pictured him a bit bigger and with dark, almost black hair, but otherwise, pretty close. He's very handsome.

Bree is pretty different from how I pictured her. She's described as being almost six feet tall, strong and capable. The actress who played her is OK, but not what I pictured and fairly different from how she was described in the books. I can live with it though.

message 41: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Neither Bree nor Roger are how I pictured them. Somewhat disappointed :(

message 42: by ☘ Erin K ☘ (new)

☘ Erin K ☘ | 23 comments I was sorry they didn't include the part where Claire and Jamie cut each other's initials in their thumbs. It's a fairly minor detail but it's referred to several times in the books. It's part of their traumatic parting and I was waiting for it.

I know they can only fit in so much detail though and I thought the episode was very well done. I've watched it twice already.

I loved the look on Claire's face when it was revealed that Jamie had survived Culloden - joy and hope were so clearly written on her face and the way the rising sunlight lit up her face was beautiful.

message 43: by MichaelCollins (new)

MichaelCollins | 818 comments I thought Bree and Roger were portrayed well. Sophie Skelton the actress who plays Bree covered her English accent pretty well although she sorta sounded like a young lady of the 21st century more than the 60's. I liked Richard Rankin (Roger) quite a bit.

It was a good introduction from my perspective as I've only started reading DIA as the sole book and am half way thru so I really hadn't formed any concrete wishes in my mind as to what they should look like/behave, other than Roger would be kind low key and Bree would be kinda tempestous

message 44: by Liza (last edited Jul 10, 2016 07:18PM) (new)

Liza (lizaburgos) Erin, I was expecting quite a lot of things from the book but unfortunately, they had to speed everything up and cut a lot of details from the book to fit everything into a 2 hour special. I think they should have made this "final" episode into four episodes instead. They changed a lot of things too but in the end, it turned out great.

Erin wrote: "I was sorry they didn't include the part where Claire and Jamie cut each other's initials in their thumbs. It's a fairly minor detail but it's referred to several times in the books. It's part of t..."

message 45: by MichaelCollins (new)

MichaelCollins | 818 comments Erin wrote: "I was sorry they didn't include the part where Claire and Jamie cut each other's initials in their thumbs. It's a fairly minor detail but it's referred to several times in the books. It's part of t..."

Claire's face as captured by the rising sun was so striking that thats what I was aiming for when I made a GIF of it -- augmented with the sun rising over the stones too.

message 46: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 10, 2016 07:39PM) (new)

I had read several different posts on social media that were not great and contained spoilers (which I do not mind) prior to watching the finale and because of that, I think I enjoyed it more if that makes any sense. Haha!

My biggest complaint is their parting scene at the stones. If you are a book reader, you know that Jamie and Claire are hiding away in a little cabin for their farewell. If you haven't seen it, Diana posted the book excerpt on her FB page with some comments...fyi. I actually felt better knowing that she was not happy that they chose to not have Jaime and Claire carve their initials into each other. For me, that was such a huge emotional piece and I was so incredibly disappointed that they chose not to include that. The reasons, in my opinion, are ridiculous (again, refer to Diana's FB page.

So while I was bummed that wasn't included, the overall scene at the stones felt rushed and superficial. I was happy that Jamie quoted directly from the book when he talked about loving Claire. The stones glowing was a bit much as well.

While I understand the challenges of finding an actor to fill the role of Brianna, her appearance is such a HUGE deal in the books and I couldn't help but feel disappointed. Obviously, Ron and company feel differently.

Overall, I just didn't feel the same "obsession" with Outlander season 2 this year as I did with the first season. And, I also read, that as the seasons go on, Ron plans on deferring more and more from the books? While I am not a Game of Thrones watcher, I am aware that the fans of that series have seen/felt that happen as well. I can honestly say that while I will look foward to the next season, I also won't have a hard time waiting for season 3.

message 47: by Miss Melly (new)

Miss Melly | 34 comments I agree that this chapter needed more than 90 mins. And for those of us who care more for Jamie & Claire than Roger & Bree - it was hard to see so much time given over to their sightseeing trips (though I did get chills when I saw the flogging platform). I was impatient to get back to Culloden. I'll be fast forwarding the bree/Roger parts when I watch this episode again (which is what I did with the books too, to be honest).
Can't wait to see how they age Sam in season 3! (I thought Claire's hair was kind of horrible - a bit too vampy with those grey chunks).

message 48: by MichaelCollins (new)

MichaelCollins | 818 comments I actually thought they did a good job of moving Claire to '68 wardrobe/hairstyle wise. Was kinda surprised at the kinda short shrift Jamie (and 1746 Claire) got though. I can only speculate that they where under time constraints and with the introduction of those two new characters gave them significant weight.

I thought the visit to Ft William was REAL creepy. Will also be curious to see how Jamie looks in 1765 and how they both react their mutual aging.

message 49: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Eversole (dearnabby) | 39 comments I am sorry but I thought Sophie was a horrible actress for this role. She felt very generic to me. The feller who played Roger was pretty good actually however. I don't even like Roger that much in the books anyways. So it doesn't bother me much that the actor doesn't fit what I had in mind for that character. Bree however was awful. I am really disappointed. I also agree Claire's hair was horrible. Cant wait till next season when she gets all that make-up off and lets the hair fly wild again. I was disappointed about the important parts of the books that they left out. I was excited that Dougal's death was pretty accurate. Other than it being Rupert instead on Willy. Anywho...Other than all the negative stuff of which I just listed it was a beautiful episode. I cried...and cried some more. Little Fergus broke my heart. Murtagh as usual was amazing and made me cry. I think this episode was one of Sam's best and closest to book Jamie to date.

message 50: by ☘ Erin K ☘ (new)

☘ Erin K ☘ | 23 comments Sometimes I have to remind myself that this is an adaption of the books and I can't expect everything to be the same. Most of the time, that's not a problem - I don't usually nitpick at details that differ between the books and the show. I enjoy the show for itself and the books for themselves and am completely OK with differences. There were just some things I was looking forward to seeing how they were handled in this episode and when they weren't or they were different, I was momentarily disappointed. But I did really enjoy the episode and thought it was very emotional and beautiful.

I actually just watched it again and then watched the first episode of the season again in order to appreciate how the story tied together. It was really very well done.

« previous 1 3 4 5