Sacramento Public Library discussion

General > What Are You Reading: June 2016

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sacramento Public Library (saclib) | 370 comments Mod
Summer Reading is officially here!
When you read 5 books you will win a prize + be entered into a drawing for an iPad mini. Sign up online http://sacramento.readingbydesign.org/ or at any library branch.

Read something good lately? Post it below and help someone kick off summer with a GREAT read!

message 2: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Hinton | 4 comments Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

message 3: by Allie (new)

Allie | 14 comments Currently reading Cell by Stephen King. It's really creepy!

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin M. | 28 comments I'm about to finish the Hidden Oracle the newest Rick Riordan.
I'll be re-reading Voyager by Diana Gabaldon since season two has started on Starz and I like it. it's a very well done show but they always have to leave something out from the books . My bus book is Breach of Crust by Ellery Adams the latest in her charmed pie shop mysteries.

message 5: by Brendle (new)

Brendle (akajill) | 235 comments Mod
I am in the middle of The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu: their race to save the most world's most precious manuscripts by Joshua Hammer. It sounds like total librarian bait, I know, but it's actually about a lot more than just librarians. The author gives a brief history of the area (history which is beyond epic, btw) so you know where the manuscripts of Timbuktu came from and goes into some detail on the extremist uprising that endangered them. From there--and this is the part I am starting right now--it's about the fight to save them. It's very interesting & to be recommended for more than that attention grabbing title.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 203 comments Currently reading Summer at the Little Beach Street Bakery. Nice fluff book. Read The One-In-A-Million Boy over the weekend. That book was terrific!!

message 7: by R.J. (new)

R.J. | 4 comments I am reading The Twelve, the second in The Passage trilogy.

The 3rd book just came out last month, so I am hoping to finish that one this month too.

message 8: by Allie (new)

Allie | 14 comments Robin wrote: "I'm about to finish the Hidden Oracle the newest Rick Riordan.
I'll be re-reading Voyager by Diana Gabaldon since season two has started on Starz and I like it. it's a very well done show but they ..."

I've been thinking of picking up the Charmed Pie Shop series. How is it?

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 203 comments Started The Crow Girl last night. Probably not a good book to read while eating. Those Scandinavians have some wicked minds!

message 10: by Brendle (last edited Jun 11, 2016 03:21PM) (new)

Catching up on some books this past week I finished Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld, a modern retelling of Pride & Prejudice. It was an absolute delight. The ways in which the story added modern elements was often absolutely hysterical--not only because of the twist on the original, but also because it just plain funny. If you loved The Royal We or are looking for a light, fast read I would definitely recommend this.

Currently holding my bookmark is In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson. The extent to which people talked themselves out of concern or action during 1930's Germany is really quite disturbing.

message 11: by David (new)

David Henson | 57 comments Mod
It's a bit of a busy reading month for me, listening to Mistborn: The Final Empire on audio book and I've got to say the narrator is amazing. I just finished The Black Company and despite it's dark mood it was a very nice easy read to break up some of the more dense reading I've been doing. I've just started Last of the Wilds and so far am happy with it.

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 203 comments Thankfully I am done with The Crow Girl. Wow what a disturbing book!

Now for something much lighter. Jonathan Unleashed. I need a mental cleansing.

message 13: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (libr007) | 11 comments I just finished listening to Jussi Adler-Olsen's Hanging Girl. This one was surprisingly less gruesome than his first novels, a bonus for me, and the main characters of Dept Q get better and better. Such a great series! Now I'm listening to Eligible and like Brendle, finding it very funny.

I just finished reading The Black Hour, a debut novel by Lori Rader-Day and just started Ice Shear by M.P. Cooley. I'm trying to catch up on my "Stop You're Killing Me" newsletter selections.

BTW, if anyone has more audio recommendations similar to Where'd you go Bernadette? I'd love some. That book had me laughing the entire way to work most mornings.

message 14: by Brendle (last edited Jun 28, 2016 10:11AM) (new)

Over the horribly hot weekend I entertained myself with Grunt by Mary Roach. In the past she's examined the science behind things like dead bodies (Stiff) and people in space (Packing for Mars). This time around it is the military and some of the more unusual, but very valuable research done to keep troops safer. As always, Mary Roach, provides wonderfully entertaining and interesting reading with footnotes that are not to be missed. All in all it was a great distraction from the heat.

I'm currently reading a book club pick, The Secret Chord by Geraldine Brooks.