Start by marking “Last of the Wilds (Age of the Five, #2)” as Want to Read:
Last of the Wilds (Age of the Five, #2)

Last of the Wilds

(Age of the Five #2)

After pitched battle, The White—the avatars of the Five Gods—have briefly turned back the vicious invaders. And now, the priestess Auraya is sent on an urgent mission to reconcile with the powerful, outcast Dreamweavers, for their magical healing abilities may be the key to saving the land. But as a deadly plague devastates their allies and old adversaries resurface, a dre ...more
Published May 2006 by HarperCollins Publishers Inc. (first published April 25th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Last of the Wilds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last of the Wilds

Start your review of Last of the Wilds (Age of the Five, #2)
Tonielle
Ok, so there is definitely a pattern with Trudi Canavan's books that seem to apply to each series.

Main female character is accepted into higher social/religious/political standing because of her unexpectedly high level of skills/powers. Once she comes into her powers fully, she defies her superiors, breaks rules, rebels for the sake of truth and because it's the right thing to do while still remaining on the good side of the other important characters as much as possible. Meanwhile she falls in
Tommye Turner
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-read
SPOILER FREE

The plot in the second entry of this trilogy is a lot slower than the first, but it’s rich in lore, history, magic, and character development. This is a book about discovery, rather than epic fantasy battles and war.

Auraya’s journey in this book is difficult for her. She spends so much of it fighting an uphill battle (metaphorically) and for a while it doesn’t feel like she’s going anywhere. She does, however, come into her own eventually and watching her grow even more as a charact
Joby Walker
Jan 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Both worse and better than the first.

The Good
--------------------------------------
Some characters of interest: The Hag, Mirar, and Reivan are all interesting characters that work toward an interesting future and reveal the past.

Background: Finally near the end of the novel we learn more about the background of the War of the Gods and the Wilds. Really the most interesting part of the novel.

Interesting moral conflict: finally at the end of the novel we get a moral dilemma that is interesting (ev
Olivia
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
RTC. Though I must admit this book was very very slow, the 4 stars are for the lore.
Maria
Jun 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The action in 'Last of the Wilds' maybe wasn't full of twists and rapid changes of situation but I think it was a necessary manipulation. Why is that?
Well... firstly because of that the reader can finally take a closer look at normal life of our characters. I, for example, thought it's not that great to be one of the Whites... even boring sometimes. And that's it! By creating such atmosphere of things moving slowly the author succeeded in giving the whole story more authenticity.
Besides, I start
Jessica Eck
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
So I was hoping the characters would gain some depth in book 2, unfortunately they didn't.

Although it was interesting to get to know the opposite side to the Circlians, they were very much like the Circlians. The characters were boring, especially Auraya, the main character. Due to the dullness of the characters, even the interesting parts of the stories were kind of boring and I was actually bored during large parts of the book. Mirar is the only halfway interesting character, but none of them
Katie
The pacing was still weird (and as much as I want to like Auraya, she's generally the least exciting POV), but we got more into the background - and you know how much I love background info - and learn more about what's going on with the gods and some of the characters (Mirar!). Definitely looking forward to the last book.
Mieneke
Jul 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, fantasy, 2009
Last of the Wilds is the second book in the Age of the Five trilogy, after Priestess of the White . Where I had a hard time getting into the book with the first one in the series, with Last of the Wilds I got sucked in immediately. This was partly because it's the second book in the series – the story doesn't need as much set up, plus I wanted to know what happened next after the events of book one – and partly because the prologue was captivating and written from the point of view of one of ...more
Duffy
Jul 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Anke
Jan 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Jody Mena
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Way better than the first book. Mirar is a way better character than Leiard ever could have been (sorry Leiard). I always wonder if Leiard was the reason that the first book seemed so dry, and whether or not Canavan did that on purpose to underscore the incomplete nature of his character. Genius if true! Anywho, great book!
Carina
Typically I am not a huge fan of second books in a trilogy - most of the time they don't serve much purpose except to set things up for the final act (i.e. book) but this one I found to be an actual story in its own right. I really wish I knew whether I thought that the first few times I read the book or not... given I rated this three stars back in 2012 clearly I didn't think that much of it though.

Potentially the reason I enjoyed this more this time around was because I was waiting for pretty
Sky
I was so excited to read this and I was not disappointed!! I loved the first book of Age and Five but somehow I loved this one more. I read the last half of this book in one sitting last night: it was so gripping and the revelations just kept on coming!

I feel more attached and invested in Auraya than ever. Her character is fantastically written and the decisions in this book made so much sense even though I was extremely surprised by them in the moment.

My feelings on a lot of secondary charact
Baya
Very good but...

This book was a fascinating read and well worth the wait. It was written excellently and the concepts behind the various use of magic were well explored.

We see more from the Pentadrians' point of view and way of life and learn a lot more about the various characters that make up the White, the Wilds and the Elai as well as learning more about the Gods. I found the constant shift of viewpoint distracting and slightly annoying. I can see some of it necessary, but wonder whether so
Julia
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(3.5 - 4 stars)

While I'm generally enjoying these books much more than I did when I first read them 10 years ago, I guess this is just a little... middle-booky?

IMHO, the pacing is a little wonky- for the most part, it's petty slow and definitively doesn't have the typical arc the first book had, and then at the end petty much everything happens at once, leaving at least Auraya in a pretty emotional place.

Aurayas and Mirars arcs are my personal favourites from this book. Their situations change t
Ryan
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I desperately want to like this series, because all the elements are there. Magic, war, unique to her world races, love affairs, Gods, etc. It just seems Canavan has no idea what to do with these elements, and the writing is just so sub par it's hard to read. Her races all have the same mannerisms and characteristics. They have nothing unique about them other then the way they look, and yet two of the races are mostly cut off completely from the human world. Their culture and mannerisms and dial ...more
Rach_Reads
This series has been quite disappointing to reread so far. I remember loving it when I first read it (admittedly about 12 years ago). The first book spent a long time building up to and event that was over quite quickly, but that's an improvement on this part which has been dally around without any main events. The key characters haven't come together either. I assume that a lot will happen in book three to make up for that.

A big focus in the story yet again is Auraya's lovelife which doesn't ha
Charmaine Ohl
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok having read the first book and made it through barely, due to all the character POV jumping, I approached Book 2 with a better expectation.

Knowing what was coming story style wise allowed me to enjoy the actual story better. I am now looking forward to book 3 to see how Auraya recovers from her decision and where the story goes from here.

Having the main female taken from poorer sections, given power and then shunned is a main thing Trudi seems to like doing to her characters, however it does
Swiftsea
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I could not put the book down. 11 hours later, with an interval of 8 hours of sleep, I was finished. And now have returned to the library to borrow the Voice of the Gods (Age of the Five, #3) by Trudi Canavan .

Auraya and the Whites remain their boring and blindly devoted selves for most of the book. With Auraya unnaturally comfortable with the idea of having spiritual intercourse with a non-physical being. The idea of it is quite creepy actually. So this spirit that has no true physical form has been watching you since birth, has stalked you basi
Elena Johansen
DNF @ page 90. I gave this more than 10% before I gave up, because I wanted to at least rotate once fully between ALL THE MANY POVs. Like the first book, there are just too many, and it makes the narrative too choppy.

Basically the only thing I do like about the book is the inclusion of a new POV character, Reivan, one of the Pentadrian army. Through her I got the first glimpses of the enemy and their society, which honestly seemed to be as rigid, theocratic, and harmful as the Circlians, aka the
Rowena Tylden-Pattenson
The second book in Trudi Canavan's Priestess series, and I still haven't warmed completely to it. Sure, it's fine fantasy, but everything takes a very long time to get to and happen. This isn't exactly fast pasted, and lacks the traditional high fantasy magic and madness.

Auraya is super boring
Imi is pretty boring too to be honest, she's like a baby Auraya (boring)
Emerahl is okay but devolves to a side character with little personality and becomes BORING, which is a huge shame, because I enjoyed
Naomi
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As with Priestess of the White, I felt that Last of the Wilds delivered on my expectations.
It has the same format of following multiple storylines which converge towards the end, which is a storytelling format I really enjoy as it breaks up the less interesting parts.
We were introduced to a few more characters in this book, importantly those of the “enemy” established in the first book. I loved learning about the other side, and learning of the faults on the side we were supposedly rooting for!
Mel
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home
I'm kind of disappointed in this. I'm well aware that this is a series, but for me personally, each book - even in a series - should have its own closure. And I feel like nothing did in here. I'm sure most of the things will get resolved in the last book, but it just felt like... dragging on a story, just to write a third book.
It was by no means boring, don't get me wrong. But there was just no big event, which I had expected. Now interested to see how everything is gonna turn out in the last bo
Russell & Stuart
Trudi Canavan's book always take you on an adventure with her creative and unique writing. I often re-read the books and always look forward to finding out what happen next.

I recommend these books for anyone who is looking for a new and innovative approach to fantasy. Trudi's writing makes for easy reading and transports you to a new world with each book.
Carmen Mitchell
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm really not getting into this series as I did her Black Magician trilogy. I am curious with how Mirar and Auraya will tackle the remaining White while a threat from the Pentradians loom. Hopefully the next book picks things up.
Adesewa
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kinda lagged in the middle there and a bit in the start but got better towards th end. Great set up for the final book.
Was a bit funny how towards the end most conversations were done in people's head though
O. Duke
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the best conclusions to a trilogy i have ever read. It really had me hooked the whole way through, i found the world so compelling and inspiring, i had to write a review to say how much i loved this series and the characters.
Tim Mercer
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-this-year
So as the 2nd book this picks up spending more time on the story than the setting which is common in fantasy series. I am liking not just the goodies but the baddies. I think there is a flip coming in the 3rd book!
Elen-Hâf
This book doesn't have the "middle-book syndrome". I enjoyed all the information given and the characters development. On to the final book.
Edward
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is very good at expanding the world and bringing more characters in, I am hoping for a great finishing in the last book
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Riven Kingdom (Godspeaker Trilogy, #2)
  • Hammer of God (Godspeaker Trilogy, #3)
  • The Awakened Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #2)
  • Die Schlacht am Rayhin (Kryson, #1)
  • Diener des dunklen Hirten (Kryson, #2)
  • Pirate Curse (The Wave Walkers, #1)
  • The Innocent Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #1)
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Angel, #2)
  • Als die Tiere den Wald verließen. Die Flucht.
  • Space Team: A Lot of Weird Space Shizz: Collected Short Stories (Space Team, #6.5)
  • The Rose and the Ring
  • Space Team: The Collected Adventures: Volume 1 (Space Team #1-3)
  • Heart of Black Ice (Sister of Darkness: The Nicci Chronicles, #4)
  • Magic Redeemed (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #2)
  • The Falcon Throne (The Tarnished Crown, #1)
  • Het water komt
  • Sklepy cynamonowe / Sanatorium pod Klepsydrą
Trudi Canavan was born in Kew, Melbourne and grew up in Ferntree Gully, a suburb at the foothills of the Dandenongs.

In 1999 she won the Aurealis Award for Best Fantasy Short Story with “Whispers of the Mist Children”. In the same year she was granted a writers residency at Varuna Writers’ Centre in Katoomba, New South Wales.

In November 2001, The Magicians’ Guild was first published in Australia. T

Age of the Five (3 books)
  • Priestess of the White (Age of the Five, #1)
  • Voice of the Gods (Age of the Five, #3)