The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2016 > 20.8 - Nickels & Dimes - Tien's task: Authors in Real Life

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jun 05, 2016 03:52PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10884 comments Mod
20.8 - Nickels & Dimes - Tien's task: Authors in Real Life
I love meeting authors! Though I usually get so star-struck that I’m rendered nearly mute... Nevertheless, I’m there to support their art whatever way I can.

Pick ONE of the following option and read 1 book:

1. Sydney Writer’s Festival: I volunteer to help out at this festival and the 2016 session has just finished last week. Read a book by one of the attending authors: Authors at SWF2016. Click on a letter to see the authors with surnames that begin with that letter.

2. Signed books: I love getting my books signed by the authors and am looking forward to meeting Tamora Pierce and Alison Goodman on June-17! For this option, read a book written by one of the authors who have signed my books: Tien’s signed books

3. Read a biography, autobiography, or memoir of an author. This author must have published at least one (1) book that is not related to him/herself.

message 3: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1400 comments reserved

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10884 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7538 comments i'm so jealous that you get to meet Tamora Pierce! I remember devouring the Alanna books in elementry school

message 6: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1400 comments Dee wrote: "i'm so jealous that you get to meet Tamora Pierce! I remember devouring the Alanna books in elementry school"

I was soooo EXCITED when I found out she's coming out to Sydney! I mean, what are the chances... we're so far away from the US ;p

I've read Alanna over & over since high school (I grew up in Asia so didn't get to Australia 'til high school otherwise I'd probably have read these books in primary) - LOVED these books so much!!!!

**yes, capitals & exclamation marks totally warranted**

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily | 650 comments Just to clarify - for Option 2, it doesn't have to be the book you have signed, just the author?

So since you have The Shining Girls on your list, I could read Broken Monsters?

(I've already read The Shining Girls. It was great.)

message 8: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1400 comments Boston Kate wrote: "Just to clarify - for Option 2, it doesn't have to be the book you have signed, just the author?

So since you have The Shining Girls on your list, I could read [book:Broken Monster..."

Yes & yes - Enjoy!

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily | 650 comments Tien wrote: "Boston Kate wrote: "Just to clarify - for Option 2, it doesn't have to be the book you have signed, just the author?

So since you have The Shining Girls on your list, I could read ..."

Thanks! I'm sure I will :)

message 10: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3645 comments Please verify this qualifies for Option 3 - Memoir by an author who has written at least one other NON-memoir

The Discomfort Zone: A Personal History by Jonathan Franzen

message 11: by Tien (last edited Jun 05, 2016 07:03PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1400 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Please verify this qualifies for Option 3 - Memoir by an author who has written at least one other NON-memoir

The Discomfort Zone: A Personal History by Jonathan Franzen"

Yep, that's fine :)

Are you a fan of his? I've only tried to read Freedom but had to DNF :/

Note: will also qualify for Option #1

message 12: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3645 comments Tien wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "Are you a fan of his? I've only tried to read Freedom but had to DNF ..."

I haven't read anything by him before ... so we'll see.

I also have Pat Conroy's My Reading Life in the house (somewhere) ....

message 13: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1494 comments Yay! I just downloaded Inside Out and was looking for a place for it!

message 14: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1400 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I also have Pat Conroy's My Reading Life in the house (somewhere) .... "

this is ok too.

message 15: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1400 comments Sue T wrote: "Yay! I just downloaded Inside Out and was looking for a place for it!"

Woohoo! I Love this book, Sue! I hope you do too :)

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1502 comments Great task, Tien.
This gives me an excuse to continue Maria V. Snyder's Study series.

message 17: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1400 comments Lauren wrote: "Great task, Tien.
This gives me an excuse to continue Maria V. Snyder's Study series."

Yay, one of my Fave series Ever! She was such a lovely lady too!

message 18: by Christi (new)

Christi Reynard | 370 comments Will this work for Option 3?
32 Yolks
Eric Rippert has written cookbooks, but that could be considered related to himself...

message 19: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1400 comments Christi wrote: "Will this work for Option 3?
32 Yolks
Eric Rippert has written cookbooks, but that could be considered related to himself..."

Hm, interesting question!

The way cookbooks written these days do involve quite a bit of the author's 'self' so it is rather related to himself. I'm gong to say no, in this instance, Christi, sorry. It's not quite within the spirit of the task.

message 20: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 231 comments Seeking approval for an author's memoir:

AN UNFINISHED WOMAN: A MEMOIR By Lillian Hellman

An Unfinished Woman: A Memoir

She is mainly a playwright but nearly all her plays have been published.

message 21: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1400 comments Yep, that's fine, Ceelee

message 22: by EShay (new)

EShay Fagan (eshay11) | 537 comments Can I confirm Just Kids by Patti Smith. She has written 10 books and not all of them autobiographies. Thank you! Love the task :)

message 23: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1400 comments E wrote: "Can I confirm Just Kids by Patti Smith. She has written 10 books and not all of them autobiographies. Thank you! Love the task :)"

Yep that's fine. Thanks

message 24: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi | 358 comments Hi, can I check that a memoir by Maya Angelou would be ok for option 3 of this task? Most of her books are autobiographical, but she has also published volumes of poetry and cookbooks.
Thanks!

message 25: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1400 comments Mhairi wrote: "Hi, can I check that a memoir by Maya Angelou would be ok for option 3 of this task? Most of her books are autobiographical, but she has also published volumes of poetry and cookbooks.
Thanks!"

Yes, that's fine. thanks

message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura (lent) | 131 comments Can I use a graphic novel for option 3? It's an Autobiography/Memoir.
Maus II : And Here My Troubles Began

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura (lent) | 131 comments Can I use a graphic novel for option 3? It's an Autobiography/Memoir.
Maus II : And Here My Troubles Began

message 28: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15678 comments Mod
Laura wrote: "Can I use a graphic novel for option 3? It's an Autobiography/Memoir.
Maus II : And Here My Troubles Began"

Moderator's note: Please note that the Rules of the Challenge provide that books with the main page genre sequential art/comics, etc. cannot be used for 20, 25, 30, and 50 point tasks unless they are specifically allowed in the task description. They are not allowed in the description for this task, so cannot be used.

message 29: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1400 comments Thanks, Sandy!

Sorry, Laura... I've been pretty sick & then my toddler got pretty sick too so been totally distracted & missed your post :/

message 30: by Katie (new)

Katie | 241 comments How about Careless People: Murder, Mayhem, and the Invention of The Great Gatsby for Option 3? It's about F Scott Fitzgerald and writing The Great Gatsby. It lists Biography as one of the main page genres.

message 31: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1400 comments That's fine, Katie. Enjoy!

message 32: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 779 comments Hi! I was wondering if you could let me know if this one works for a memoir by an author:

Grayson

She's definitely written other books that are not about her life but this book is really focused on just one particular experience in her life, not the whole thing. Is that okay still or should it be like a longer, more life-focused type thing?

message 33: by Tien (last edited Jul 31, 2016 07:13PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1400 comments Cait wrote: "Hi! I was wondering if you could let me know if this one works for a memoir by an author:

Grayson

She's definitely written other books that are not about her life but this book is r..."

That's fine, Cait. Thanks for checking :)

message 34: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments I'm sorry, I just had to pop in to convey how much I started flipping out when I saw Garth Nix (and not one of the Abhorsen!) on your signed list. Seriously? You're officially the coolest person I know.

message 35: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1400 comments Maya wrote: "I'm sorry, I just had to pop in to convey how much I started flipping out when I saw Garth Nix (and not one of the Abhorsen!) on your signed list. Seriously? You're officially the coolest person I ..."

lol - as I told Garth Nix at the time... I got the Abhorsen trilogy when they first came out but they were in boxes as we just moved so I just bought another book of his that I don't already have for him to sign... Clariel was not yet released that day though they are promoting it ;p

message 36: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments I'm very much excited for Goldenhand. Clariel was really great and I love the series as a whole

message 37: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1400 comments and guess what... it's just been announced that he will also be a guest at a next YA even I'm attending :)

I will definitely bring my Abhorsen books this time!

message 38: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments I'm glaring but only in jealousy right now. I would give a kidney to go see him. :)

Robin (Saturndoo) (scoobydoo0811) Could you please verify this book/author for option 3--The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man by James Weldon Johnson

He has written poetry books, children's books and novels.

Thanks