Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (general & ongoing) > May 2016 in Reflection - Best and Worst Reads

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 21441 comments Let's reflect on the best and worst of the previous month's books.....

I know I can get so focused on what is next that I forget about all the wonderful books I read for the previous month's challenges! I got so focused this month, I almost forgot to post this =0 May can be so busy as we get ready for summer! Mother's Day, Memorial Day, graduations and all sorts of family gatherings!

Did you find some gems? DNF a few? Find your new book boyfriend or a heroine who personifies TSTL? Come on, we all want to know! What were your standouts for May?

message 2: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 21441 comments In retrospection (why I love this thread!), I had so many good reads in May. =) I had three 5 Stars:

Born in Death by J.D. Robb - Loved the multifaceted aspects and how it came together! The childbirth parts were hilarious!
If the Stars Fall by Diane Adams - Tough subjects handled well, a little angsty but it was deserved and then end made up for it!
Into Deep Waters by Kaje Harper - Wow!! Wonderful story, great narration! Even tougher subjects, but amazing love!

And five more that were 4+ Stars:

Big Bad Beast by Shelly Laurenston - Loving this series in audio and it was great to see Dee and Ric finally get together!
Total Surrender by Rebecca Zanetti - Loved this final addition to the series, but I want more!!
Sustained by Emma Chase - SOOO much better than the first, sweet story! Loved the characters and the humor!
Shadow's Claim by Kresley Cole - Realistic dilemmas in a fantasy world, add wonderful narration and this was great!
Ride Hard by Laura Kaye - So good! I don't want to wait for the next, not that I have a choice here... =P

Good month! A few more that were good too, like An American Werewolf In Hoboken - fluffy PNR, looking forward to more in the series! Gotta love the FAC for introducing a new author to me! I didn't have any real duds last month, just a few that weren't as good as the rest - not subpar though.

What about you?!

message 3: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 366 comments I really enjoyed Shelly Laurenston's The Unleashing (Call of Crows, #1) by Shelly Laurenston (4.5 stars) and The Undoing (Call of Crows, #2) by Shelly Laurenston (5 stars). Also 5 stars for me Only Beloved (The Survivors' Club, #7) by Mary Balogh .

message 4: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11194 comments I had two favorites for May, both 4.5*. Waiting for Clark by Annabeth Albert and It's a Wonderful Tangled Christmas Carol (Tangled, #4.5) by Emma Chase . Both made me smile the whole time :)

I listened to It's a Wonderful Tangled Christmas Carol on audio, which I don't do much of, and really enjoyed the narrator.

I was only able to read five books in May, and the other three were very good- 3.5-4*. All in all, a very good reading month :)

message 5: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 21441 comments Busy real life month for you Fran!

message 6: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 1079 comments Most of my favorite reads in May were from series that I've already started and that I expected to love. I read 22 books last month and focused on those I *wanted to read rather than books for challenges.

My 5-star ratings for this month were:
Judgment in Death (In Death, #11) by J.D. Robb Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4) by Lisa Kleypas Head Over Heels (Lucky Harbor, #3) by Jill Shalvis

I gave strong 4.5-star ratings to:
The Chase (Fox and O'Hare, #2) by Janet Evanovich Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson, #2) by Darynda Jones About That Night (FBI/US Attorney, #3) by Julie James

Honorable mention with 4 stars were:
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins 15th Affair (Women's Murder Club #15) by James Patterson If You Ask Me (And of Course You Won't) by Betty White

A really good reading month. I read a lot, giving nothing less than a 3-star rating! I realize that most of my favorites were audiobooks, which tells me that I have learned to look for books by favorite narrator sometimes rather than author.

message 7: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 21441 comments I good narrator really helps doesn't it!? They can make an ok book really good!

message 8: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 1079 comments You bet, Kat. I've been checking out people's recommendations for narrator and have found some that I really love.

message 9: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20398 comments I read some great books in May. My 5 starers were:

Perfect Imperfections by Cardeno C. - zero angst and a lot of fun.
Carry the Ocean (The Roosevelt, #1) by Heidi Cullinan - a wonderful book with both MCs with disabilities
The Lightning-Struck Heart by T.J. Klune - SO funny; especially the first half.
Rock by Anyta Sunday - great coming of age MM set in NZ
Piece of Cake (A Matter of Time, #8) by Mary Calmes - the latest book (novella) in the A Matter of Time series. Great to catch up with Jory & Sam and their idiosyncracies!!

All my favs were MM books (not unusual) however I did really enjoy Kodiak's Claim (Kodiak Point, #1) by Eve Langlais in the MF arena as well :D Hoping to read more MF this month :)

message 10: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7544 comments I read a lot of very good books in May, but not much that stood out as truly great...in fact, my only 5 star read was a reread of Shards of Hope in preparation for the release of Allegiance of Honor in a couple of weeks. Another one that very well might have been 5 stars (sometimes it's just a mood thing...) was If the Stars Fall. I'm so loving that series, and will be really sorry to see it end after the next book! :(

I didn't read anything that I didn't enjoy - everything else was 4 stars, but the one other book that stood out, not because it was so much better but just because it was so different, was Where'd You Go, Bernadette. It was quirky and fun, but a lot that probably wouldn't be nearly as entertaining to most people that aren't familiar with the Seattle area and its idiosyncrasies. Having grown up in Seattle, I found most of it hilarious. I also thought the narration was very good and added to the fun.

message 11: by Amber (new)

Amber | 715 comments I had one 5 star read: The Obsession by Nora Roberts

Two 4 star reads: The Redhead Revealed (Redhead, #2) by Alice Clayton and My Sister's Grave (Tracy Crosswhite, #1) by Robert Dugoni .

Thankfully I didn't have any DNF's but I did have two that wasn't that great: Bound by Flames (Night Prince, #3) by Jeaniene Frost and Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble (Jolie Wilkins, #1) by H.P. Mallory