Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Never Let Me Go
This topic is about Never Let Me Go
Archives > BotM 2016 - [June] Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro - Part 3 (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3824 comments Mod
Part 3 Questions

Section of book: 51-75%

Notes
Notes:
- Each member is asked to end with a question for the next member.
- If the person above you forgets to pose a question then just pick a different one from above (make sure you indicate which one you're answering!)
- If some other question from above moves you then feel free to answer as many as you want. It is a discussion after all! ;)

1. What do you think of the story so far? Open discussion!

2. Why do you think Ruth seeks her “possible” so earnestly?

3. As you read, did you have hope that the deferral process was real? Why do you think it would be based on love?

4. Answer the question(s) posed by the person above you!

Marta (gezemice) | 784 comments 1. What do you think of the story so far? Open discussion!
The concept is good; these kids are given a tough lot and he examines how that alters their lives as opposed to growing up normal. I don't like the execution, though. The collective silence, denial, pretense, are really twisted and creepy. The dangers are not mentioned, so traps are spring upon people and everyone participates in denial - speaking up is punished. Ruth is doing that on small scale and she drives me nuts. You never know where you stand with Ruth, or with the world. I hate it, especially because it is skillfully written.

To find her roots.

3. As you read, did you have hope that the deferral process was real? Why do you think it would be based on love?
I think it is just a rumor that gives another false hope to these doomed kids.

Question: why do you think Ruth is playing her pretend games? What's their role in the overall story?

message 3: by Michelle (last edited Jun 07, 2016 11:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michelle (mich2689) | 476 comments 1. What do you think of the story so far? Open discussion!

The story is interesting. I really do not like Ruth at all though. I'm happy this question is an open discussion because now I can vent about her here. I can't stand all of Ruth's fakeness and I don't understand why Kathy does so much for her and cares so much about her and her opinion. I feel bad for Tommy too, especially after they get to the Cottages. Ruth and he are supposed to be dating, but Ruth just treats him like he doesn't even matter and he's just there to star in her play that she's putting up for the veterans.

All the students like to fantasize about their future, but Ruth takes it to another level. Ruth has always been fond of her pretend games, so I'm guessing she wants to see her "possible" to give more material to her fantasies about her future.

I felt like the deferral process was too good to be true, but I could also sense that they were really counting it to be true, just for 3 extra years. Three years is really not a lot, but to them, it's so much.

4. Why do you think Ruth is playing her pretend games? What's their role in the overall story?

I think the games are just a way to hide the truth about their lives. Like Marta said, there's so much collective silence and denial. That's what makes the story so ominous. The games are just there to help foster the sense of normalcy that everyone is trying to maintain while they still can.

Question: What do you think is going to happen to Kathy in the end?

message 4: by J (last edited Jun 08, 2016 12:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

J Austill | 674 comments 1. What do you think of the story so far? Open discussion!

I'm enjoying it, overall. I really like the pacing. Questions are brought up, hints are given, and reveals are made all in quick succession. It really makes me want to keep reading and find out more.

None of the characters are particularly likable. Certainly not Ruth, but Kathy is just as bad, given that she backs Ruth up in everything and backs down from ever really calling her out. But I appreciate unlikable characters in books, these are very real.

The one thing I don't like, so far, is the clone plotline. It's a bit of a ScFi trope and, thus far, its been by the book. What makes it good is the writing and the characters, but I'm really hoping things get interesting in the end.

I think its a part of her delusion. Ruth doesn't just make things up, she also oddly believes her own lies. The big one at that point in the book is her idea of choosing an occupation and simply living life normally. As though she could just decide to work in an office and then go do that.

The problem is with the two Veterans. They see Ruth's B.S. and decide to play into it. Everytime she tells a fib, they say that they've heard that and have evidence to support it. Then she's into the lie even deeper. It's no coincidence that this possible is living the exact life that Ruth has written for herself. And meanwhile, Ruth sees it as validation that it is the life she should have.

No, not at all. That bit looked like a scam from way off and it was a bit sad to see the protagonists go all in for it. It was based on love because that was a factor that Ruth could potentially use. She was the target of the scam (though I got the impression that she originated it, and everyone else just helped her embellish it). Note that Kathy never once bemoans the fact that she has no shot at this deferral.

4. Why do you think Ruth is playing her pretend games? What's their role in the overall story?

I think that Ruth's personality is one that wants to be in control and she found very early on that the pretend games/lies allowed her to be in control and maintain it. So far, though, Kathy is the only one who has stayed with her. Everyone else eventually gets tired of the game.

What do you think is going to happen to Kathy in the end?

I think that she will become a donor and we will see, firsthand, the final part of the process.

Question: Do you think, maybe, Kathy's cassette is in the Gallery?

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 57 comments 1. What do you think of the story so far? Open discussion!

I really like this story. The interactions between the characters are so true to real life, yet are written with such strange, eerie beauty that I fee like I am in another type of reality. I agree with Michelle that Ruth is the worst! I get so frustrated when she speaks! But I love Tommy and Kathy. Tommy is very intuitive which makes his character so interesting.

Ruth wants a normal life. I think she is afraid to admit to herself that her future is predetermined to be a difficult one so she focuses on the hope of her fantasy life. Her miserable attitude makes sense if we remember how afraid she must feel.

I don't know how I feel about the deferral process. Three years is not a long time, and I imagine it would be so hard to continue to grow in a relationship just to cut it short.

4. Do you think, maybe, Kathy's cassette is in the Gallery?

That would be really wonderful, but I don't know. We haven't really heard about Kathy's work that was taken to the Gallery.

Question: How do you think Ruth will react when she finally has to become a donor?

Beth | 123 comments 1. What do you think of the story so far? Open discussion!
I think it is very well written and the story could go in many interesting directions. I don't really dislike anyone, but the only people I have really liked are Tommy and Miss Lucy. I do worry that, in the end, this story won't really "pay off". I hope we get to know what is really going on in this world. What happened to Miss Lucy? What is the deal with the gallery? What's the deal with Miss Emily? What happened to Ruth?

I suppose, to see where she came from. To see how she might have been.

No, I don't think so. It seem really far-fetched. And what would be the point for whoever is taking these donations? Unless there was some reason to believe that the donations would be better in some way if the students were allowed to continue in a loving relationship for a while...

4. How do you think Ruth will react when she finally has to become a donor?
(I assume you actually mean Kathy, since we see Ruth as a donor) I assume Kathy will be a good donor. She's been a carer for a long time, so I guess she knows what to expect.

My question: Why doesn't anyone try to run away? Why do they just agree to give up their organs without a fight?

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments 1. What do you think of the story so far? Open discussion!
I really enjoyed the story, especially Miss Lucy's sneaky attempts to inform the students about the truth. The one thing I would have liked is a bit more backstory about why people have been cloned to donate organs. It's just kind of presented as the way the world works, but we haven't really found out why that has to happen.

Ruth's been established as a character who in a way lives in her own kind of fantasy world. From the time she's first presented, she's making up games and stories. I think she understands on some level that her life will never be what she wants, so she seeks out her possible to give her more material for her fantasies about what could have been.

I hoped that the deferral process might be real, but I didn't really think that it would be. I can't remember if they ever said whether the clones were able to have children, but I think it would be based on love so those people could have their own children who would grow up to be more donors. I know earlier on, Madame cried when she saw Kathy dancing and holding an imaginary child, because she knew Kathy would never have kids, but I got the sense it was because of the donations, and not any physical reasons.

5. Why doesn't anyone try to run away? Why do they just agree to give up their organs without a fight?
I don't think they really realize that this is an option, and even if it were, they wouldn't know where to go. It's hard for people to escape from the system that they've been raised in their entire lives, and to see other possibilities for themselves. I don't think any of them really want to give up their organs, but I think they see it is inevitable.

My question: What do you think of the Ruth-Tommy-Kathy triangle?

Kathy | 2147 comments 1. What do you think of the story so far? Open discussion!

I am pulled in by the way Kathy narrates the story. Since everything is from her point of view, I wonder what is really going on in the world outside of her sphere. I am wondering if we will ever find out! There's mention of a boat being found at the end of this section of the book. And how it may have gotten into a marsh where it is during the time when everything was flooded. I'm really excited to see what happened.

2. Why do you think Ruth seeks her “possible” so earnestly? She wants to see who she came from and is very concerned about that. When Chrissie, Rodney, Kathy, Tommy and Ruth realize that the office worker isn't Ruth's "possible,"

Ruth says that of course they aren't modelled from people like that. "We're modelled from trash. Junkies, prostitutes, winos, tramps. Convicts, maybe, just so long as they aren't psychos. That's what we come from. We all know it, so why don't we say it?"

She's very upset. She feels like trash.

Yes, I had hope that it was real. Honestly, I don't really know what's going on as far as why it would be based on love. Everything else seems so cold and calculated about donors, carers, and how the world is. Then this hope of deferrals based on love. Why? There's hope in the world??

4. What do you think of the Ruth-Tommy-Kathy triangle?
I really dislike the character of Ruth. She's manipulative and Kathy and Tommy just fall into her manipulation. I don't understand why. It's obvious to me that Kathy and Tommy belong together.

My question: Why is Kathy a carer and why are Ruth and Tommy donors?

reply | flag *

message 9: by Bec (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bec | 765 comments 1. What do you think of the story so far? Open discussion!
It started rocky for me but I have to admit I'm enjoying it more as we go along. I'm interested in knowing why these particular people are donors and who for.

I think Ruth is trying to make sense of her world. She wants to know where she came from and perhaps where she is going.

3. As you read, did you have hope that the deferral process was real? Why do you think it would be based on love? No this didn't seem like a plausible concept to me.

Why is Kathy a carer and why are Ruth and Tommy donors?
I feel like there is obviously a process, from the cottage you become a carer, do your stint there and then become a donor where you complete (die). Tommy and Ruth finished the carer stage much quicker than Ruth, but the question is why.......Kathy was obviously well regarded as a carer given she is at the stage she can choose her own donors. I think "they" wanted to keep her in that job as long as they could given she was so good at it.

My question - Why did Kathy keep the cassette a secret from Ruth?

message 10: by Silvia (last edited Jun 27, 2016 01:05PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments 1. What do you think of the story so far? Open discussion!
I am enjoying it, but at the same time I feel it's a little slow. I'd wish more revealing things. I know exactly the situation they live, but why?! Too many mysteries, so few answers. Definitely I am enjoying the story, but because I enjoy this kind of drama with intrigues and deceptions, but I'd wish to know more about the clones, about why their existence and what about Madam...

I think is because she needs to know where she comes from and maybe this will help her to understand her own existence.

3. As you read, did you have hope that the deferral process was real? Why do you think it would be based on love? No, I don't think this deferral process is real. Especially because they relate this process to persons from Hailsham... it's just a kind of urban legend.

4.Why did Kathy keep the cassette a secret from Ruth? I think is because she was afraid that Ruth would be jealous.

My question:
- Do you think Tommy was in love with Kathy? And if the answer is yes, why didn't he tell her about?