The Challenge Factory discussion

♦TCF Monopoly Archives♦ > TCF Monopoly Brianna vs Maddison vs Laurence

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments

Roll Dice

Monopoly Rules

• You do not need to wait for the other player to finish reading before you take your next turn. As soon as you're done reading, go ahead and roll.
• Each property is represented by a shelf. For each grouping of shelves/properties you would read a certain amount of books from that shelf. Once you finish the amount of books you would then “Own” that shelf.
• If you land on an “owned” shelf you would have to read a certain amount of books above what the owner had to read.
• If one person “owns” all of the books in a group (think Mediterranean and Baltic) and another player lands on their properties they would be able to recommend at least one of the books that the player has to read.
Utilities – For the Electric Company – Read a book where the characters have electric chemistry. For Water Works – Read a book that makes you cry. Books have to be 150 pages or more.
• If a player lands on an “Owned” utility, then the owner will recommend a book with electric chemistry or that makes them cry.
Railroads – For Reading Railroad – Read whatever you want. For Pennsylvania Railroad – Read a book set in Pennsylvania. For B&O Railroad – Read a book that someone else thought stunk. For Short Line – Read a novella. Page minimum 150 for all but Short Line. 25 page minimum for the novella.
• If a player lands on an “owned” railroad, the owner will recommend a book for that specific railroad.
Chance and Community Chest – there are 12 cards for each. If a player lands on one of those spots they will roll the dice a second time and then would “pull” the corresponding card and do whatever it says on the card. Once a card is used, it will be out of play unless needed to finish the game. Books for this would need to be at least 150 pages.
Being in Jail – To get out of jail you would need to have one of the get out of jail free cards, roll doubles on one of your next three turns or read a book where a character is arrested or has been in jail. Books for this would need to be 150 pages or more.
Just Visiting – Read a novella of your choice, 50 page minimum
Free Parking – Read any book 100 pages or more
Go – Read any book of 200 pages or more
Luxury Tax/Income Tax – Read a book with a rich character, a really poor character or someone that works in a bank. 150 pages or more
• Each roll, you'll post your starting spot, the roll and your new spot on the board.
• When you finish your book you'll post the spot your on, book name, rating, when it was finished and a short review of the book. If you were supposed to read a book that had a specific element (water works utility, book that made you cry), then please mention that in the review.
• Re-reads are allowed.

Link to Frequently Asked Game Questions

message 2: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments Property/Shelves - Version B

Mediterranean Avenue – Books read must start with M. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Baltic Avenue - Books read must start with B. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

Oriental Avenue - Books read must start with O. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Vermont Avenue - Books read must start with V. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Connecticut Avenue - Books read must start with C. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

St. Charles Place – Author’s first or last name must start with C. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
States Avenue - Author’s first or last name must start with S. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Virginia Avenue - Author’s first or last name must start with V. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

St. James Place - Author’s first or last name must start with J. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Tennessee Avenue - Author’s first or last name must start with T. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
New York Avenue - Author’s first or last name must start with N. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.

Kentucky Avenue - Author’s name or book title must start with K. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Indiana Avenue - Author’s name or book title must start with I. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Illinois Avenue - Author’s name or book title must start with I. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.

Atlantic Avenue - Author’s name or book title must start with A. - Must read 2 books to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
Ventnor Avenue - Author’s name or book title must start with V. - Must read 2 books to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
Marvin Gardens - Author’s name or book title must start with M. - Must read 2 books to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.

Pacific Avenue - Author’s name or book title must start with P. - Must read 2 books to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned and 1 of those books must also have a green cover.
North Carolina Avenue - Author’s name or book title must start with N. - Must read 2 books to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned and 1 of those books must also have a green cover.
Pennsylvania Avenue - Author’s name or book title must start with P. - Must read 2 books to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned and 1 of those books must also have a green cover.

Park Place - Author’s name or book title must start with P. - Must read 3 books to own and 1 of those books must also have a blue cover. Must read 5 books if the property is owned and 2 of those books must also have a blue cover.
Boardwalk - Author’s name or book title must start with B. - Must read 3 books to own and 1 of those books must also have a blue cover. Must read 5 books if the property is owned and 2 of those books must also have a blue cover.

message 3: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments Community Chest

2. Get out of Jail Free
3. Holiday Fund Matures - Read a Holiday themed book.
4. Yes Sir! - Read a book with a bossy character.
5. Go Directly to Jail
6. Laugh Riot - Read a book that makes you laugh.
7. Go Forward 3 Spaces
8. Fight Night - Read a book with a fight in it.
9. Advanced to St. Charles Place
10. You Inherit $100 - Read a book that was given to you or with a character in it that has inherited something.
11. Pay the Hospital - Read a book that takes place in a hospital or where someone goes to the hospital.
12. You've won a beauty contest - Read a book where a character is considered beautiful.

Chance

2. Advance to Illinois Ave
3. Fright Night - Read a book that scares you.
4. Get out of Jail Free
5. Play Ball - Read a book with a sports theme or athlete in it.
6. Go to Jail
7. Sing A Long - Read a book with a musician
8. Go Back 3 Spaces
9. Warm & Fuzzy - Read a book that makes you feel warm & fuzzy or that has a pet in it.
10. It's Your Birthday - Read a book you got for your birthday or where someone celebrates their birthday.
11. Great Job! - Read a book where the main characters works for a living.
12. Pay For School - Read a book that takes place in a school or where someone goes to school.

message 4: by Maddie (last edited May 02, 2017 01:32AM) (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Tracking
Mediterranean Avenue
Baltic Avenue

Oriental Avenue
Vermont Avenue
Connecticut Avenue

St Charles Place
States Avenue
Virginia Avenue - Maddie owns

St James Place
Tennessee Avenue
New York Avenue

Kentucky Avenue - Owned by Maddie
Indiana Avenue
Illinois Avenue

Atlantic Avenue
Ventnor Avenue
Marvin Gardens

Pacific Avenue
North Carolina Avenue - Owned by Maddie
Pennsylvania Avenue

Park Place
Boardwalk

Water Works - Owned by Maddie
Electric Company

Reading Railroad
Pennsylvania Railroad
B&O Railroad - Owned by Maddie
Short Line Railroad

message 5: by Maddie (last edited Jun 02, 2016 12:05AM) (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Community Chest
2. Get out of Jail Free
3. Holiday Fund Matures - Read a Holiday themed book.
4. Yes Sir! - Read a book with a bossy character.
5. Go Directly to Jail
6. Laugh Riot - Read a book that makes you laugh.
7. Go Forward 3 Spaces
8. Fight Night - Read a book with a fight in it. Maddison
9. Advanced to St. Charles Place
10. You Inherit $100 - Read a book that was given to you or with a character in it that has inherited something.
11. Pay the Hospital - Read a book that takes place in a hospital or where someone goes to the hospital.
12. You've won a beauty contest - Read a book where a character is considered beautiful.

Chance
2. Advance to Illinois Ave
3. Fright Night - Read a book that scares you.
4. Get out of Jail Free
5. Play Ball - Read a book with a sports theme or athlete in it.
6. Go to Jail
7. Sing A Long - Read a book with a musician
8. Go Back 3 Spaces
9. Warm & Fuzzy - Read a book that makes you feel warm & fuzzy or that has a pet in it.
10. It's Your Birthday - Read a book you got for your birthday or where someone celebrates their birthday.
11. Great Job! - Read a book where the main characters works for a living.
12. Pay For School - Read a book that takes place in a school or where someone goes to school.

message 6: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Hey Brianna are you able to delete that post and post it here? Just so the tracking's at the top :) I'll keep track of stuff.

message 7: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Darnit rolled a 5+2=7
Start: Go
End: Chance
Chance Roll: 2+2=4
Card: 4. Get out of Jail Free

Does that mean I get to roll again? Orrrrr is there a book I needa read?

message 8: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments I'll just roll again and if there is a book then I'll disregard this roll.

message 9: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Rolled 6+1=7
Start: Chance
End: Virginia Avenue (V author)

Oh dear gosh a V author??? I'll just stay here for a while, I believe.

message 10: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Kind of hoping there's a book I needa read for get out of jail free :p Don't need to own Virginia Avenue.

message 11: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Andreda | 235 comments In the player discussion thread in the Q&A part, it says that you don't have to read a book for the get out of jail free card.

message 12: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Andreda | 235 comments Moving my post so tracking is at the top.

Rolled: 6 (3+3)
End: Oriental Avenue
Task: Read 1 book that starts with O
Book chosen: Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline

message 13: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Ah lucky.

message 14: by Brianna (last edited Jun 06, 2016 11:36AM) (new)

Brianna Andreda | 235 comments I might end up changing my selected book to Outlander since it is the BOTM in another group I'm in. I don't think I'll find the time to read this one this month.

message 15: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Ah alrighty.

message 16: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments I have been here for a while :p

Virginia Avenue Completion
Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard
Date read: 16/7/16
Rating: 5 stars
Task: Read a book with a V author
How it fits: Author Victoria

Review: Okay so the one thing that may have lowered my rating was the love triangle, but (view spoiler) And the plot twist at around 90%!!!!!! Just woah. I had to go up to the bookstore before I finished to buy Cruel Crown and Glass Sword because I couldn't get enough. I'm glad I'm one of the people that liked it rather than one of the people that had to DNF it. I kind of put off reading this one for a while, even though people told me that once I started I would really like it, and they were right! *cough cough Wobble team* :p I'm really glad I read it, even though the obvious YA-ness of it exasperated me at times, what with the (view spoiler) but apart from that I really loved it. I found aspects of The Young Elites, The Selection and even The Hunger Games in this book, which are all really different :p

message 17: by Maddie (last edited Jul 15, 2016 07:49PM) (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Rolled 6+1=7
Start: Virginia Avenue (owned by me)
End: Kentucky Avenue
Task: K author/title

message 18: by Laurence (new)

Laurence Bastien | 42 comments I've ask to join your game here too want to try version B hehe I'm addicted to monopoly XD

message 19: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Haha not as much as me :p I'm famous for it now haha.

message 20: by Laurence (last edited Jul 17, 2016 04:06PM) (new)

Laurence Bastien | 42 comments Rolled 6+3=9
End: Connecticut avenue
Task: Books read must start with C.

I will read Celine Dion My Story, My Dream by Celine Dion

message 21: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Yay hey :)

message 22: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Kentucky Avenue Completion
The One (The Selection, #3) by Kiera Cass
Task: Read a book with a K author/title
How it fits: Author Kiera
Date read: 18/8/16

Review: This one was a rather emotional ride, I'll say that. First of all (view spoiler) Secondly, I thought that (view spoiler) That must've been so awkward for America when (view spoiler) But legit, the ending was perfect. I mean, exactly the way to describe (view spoiler) And I loved Maxon's (view spoiler) They were seriously adorable. This book was seriously chock-full of stuffs! Can't wait for the next one, even though people say it's bad.

message 23: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Rolled 3+1=4
Start: Kentucky Avenue (owned by me)
End: B&O Railroad
Task: Read a book someone else thought stunk.

message 24: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments B&O Railroad Completion
The Heir (The Selection, #4) by Kiera Cass
Task: Read a book someone else thought stunk
How it fits: Lots of people don't like it
Date read: 31/8/16

Review: AWESOME! I have no idea why people think this isn't as good as the first 3! If anything, it might even have been better! It was in no way worse. It was just as unputdownable as the rest of the series. I like the fact that this Selection was with guys rather than girls. I way prefer reading about guys' emotions than girls, I guess because it just makes me feel warm and fuzzy when they open up. And that's what made this book so awesome: the warm fuzzies! I really dislike Eadlyn, but I do really like her name. She's so spoilt and self-centered and defiant. (view spoiler) I like the way each of the boys gives her something new, like she has a different connection with each one. I'm rooting for (view spoiler) I think. (view spoiler) I like the way (view spoiler) And just (view spoiler) Can't wait to read the latest one! If it doesn't conclude anything I'll rip myself apart because I won't be able to wait for the next one.

message 25: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Rolled 2+1=3
Start: B&O Railroad (owned by me)
End: Water Works
Task: Read a sad book

message 26: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Water Works Completion
The Edge Chronicles 1 The Curse of the Gloamglozer First Book of Quint by Paul Stewart
Task: Read a sad book
How it fits: Sad book because Linius neglects Maris.
Date read: 3/9/16

Review: No idea why I only rated this 3 stars on my last review! Because this was just as amazing as I remember! It was amazing being transported back to the land of the Edge, Sanctaphrax and everything that entails. I love the fantasy in it: the different creatures, professions and ways of life. (view spoiler) And the little pictures throughout really helped my imagination, rather than hinder it. I read it really quickly. Once I started, I basically couldn't put it down. 45% in the first sitting, and the remainder in the second. It was crazy! No regrets though. This was just awesome.

message 27: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Rolled 3+1=4
Start: Water Works (owned by me)
End: North Carolina Avenue
Task: 2 N author/title books.

message 28: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments You guys still here?

message 29: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments First North Carolina Avenue Book
Uprooted by Naomi Novik
Task: Read a book with an N author
How it fits: N author
Date read: 13/1
Rating: 3 stars

Review: I went into this book really uncertain. I was really put off by the font size, that was for sure, and the length and the format. I'd heard differing views on it. I didn't really know what to expect. Once I got into it, I think I liked it? Definitely not a favourite, as it was kind of confusing in places. Definitely not a book to read in one sitting. Quite complex. I liked finding out about the (view spoiler) I like (view spoiler)

Please this isn't a series though. Couldn't stomach another book.

message 30: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments North Carolina Completion
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Task: Read a book with an N author/title
How it fits: Title Night
Date read: 2/5/17

Review: This book was like nothing I've read before. Actually, I lie. The format of it and the way it's told is like nothing I've read before. It is actually extremely similar to Crown's Game. So many similar points. (view spoiler) Basically, I feel like Crown's Game completely stole this story and just reinvented it as a typical YA novel. I seriously wish I'd read Night Circus first, so that I wasn't constantly reminded of Crown's Game when I read it. I feel like that's what let this book down a little for me. I also found the time-jumping really confusing, along with the fact that during these time jumps I had no idea how old the characters were, so it was hard for me to picture them in my mind. There were a lot of little puzzles in this story, which were solved at a later point, but at the time were rather confusing. I liked the way everything fit together at the end though. Pleased it turned out the way it did. Still kind of confused as to why (view spoiler)

message 31: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Alright, abandoning this one I think. No one's posted for months.