The County Library discussion

Reading Challenges > 2016 Summer Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 169 (169 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bethsmash) | 844 comments Mod
Hello all!

The time has come for our Summer Reading Challenge. You have 3 months, June, July and August to read 5 books. The catch? All the books must relate to our Summer Reading Challenge Theme. This year, the general theme is Sports, and the Adult specific slogan is, "Exercise your mind, READ!" You can read fiction, or non-fiction, but try to have each book relate to a different sport. For example you could read a how to book like 101 Essential Tips Yoga, and a YA novel like The Boy Next Door, a biography like Michael Phelps: Beneath the Surface; a novel in poetry like The Crossover or a group biography like The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics.

Don't forget to come into a library to pick up your Summer Reading Challenge Reading Record. For those who complete the reading record, you get a free book and a ticket to the Natural History Museum!

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky | 280 comments Thanks for including suggestions--I'm going to need a lot of suggestions for this challenge and hope I can find more in fiction. Here are some ideas I found on my to-read list: Running the Rift, Soul Surfer: A True Story of Faith, Family, and Fighting to Get Back on the Board, Following Atticus: Forty-Eight High Peaks, One Little Dog, and an Extraordinary Friendship, and Boy 21.

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Becky wrote: " ...hope I can find more in fiction. ..." Do you like Romance? There's a ton of sporty romance novels. There's also a lot of kid sports novels that are fun. Let me know what genres you like to read and I might be able to find sporty books in that area.

message 4: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 987 comments Sports. I do not care for sports. Don't like to play 'em, don't like to watch 'em, don't like to read about 'em, can watch the occasional film about 'em provided they're really chick flicks (i.e. anything with Kevin Costner). Solution: Children's picture books about sports. Got me 8 lined up. I like picture books.

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky | 280 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Becky wrote: " ...hope I can find more in fiction. ..." Do you like Romance? There's a ton of sporty romance novels. There's also a lot of kid sports novels that are fun. Let me know what genres yo..."

Mostly I like contemporary fiction. I think I have five books, but welcome more suggestions!

message 6: by Teresa (last edited Jun 02, 2016 08:10PM) (new)

Teresa | 165 comments I'm not a sports fan, so I expected difficulty in finding interesting books. I was pleasantly surprised by the choices available, after a bit of searching. Here are my ideas, in case anyone else is stumped: Brian's Song and The Boys of Summer were my bf's suggestions. The Last Shot: City Streets, Basketball Dreams, Overcoming Trauma through Yoga: Reclaiming Your Body, Swan: The Life and Dance of Anna Pavlova, Bentwhistle the Dragon in a Threat from the Past, Against The Tide, the author Dick Frances, Roller Derby, barefoot running, history of or scandal in the Olympics.

message 7: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 43 comments A few novels that include sports are Marcia Mickelson's Pickup Games (basketball), Kathi Oram Peterson's River Whispers (fishing), and my own By the River (running) and Rescuing Bailey in Three Little Words (also running). Most of Julie Bellon's and Traci Abramson's books include a lot of athletic training for their agent heroes and heroines.

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Becky wrote: "Mostly I like contemporary fiction."

Have you read Happiness for Beginners? It has hiking in it. Or there's Derby Girl a YA about Roller Derby, which was made into the film Whip It. You could also try Calico Joe

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Debbie wrote: "Sports. I do not care for sports. ... I like picture books..."

Sporty picture books totally count! That's a great way to make the challenge work for you.

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Teresa wrote: "I'm not a sports fan, so I expected difficulty in finding interesting books. I was pleasantly surprised by the choices available..."

I'm glad you found some books to read. :D

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Jennie wrote: "... Most of Julie Bellon's and Traci Abramson's books include a lot of athletic training for their agent heroes and heroines. "

That's an excellent way to get sports/fitness into the book, but read an awesome thriller/mystery while you're at it.

message 12: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 58 comments My husband is a sports fanatic, so he is super excited about this challenge. It's going to be a little harder for me though.

Here is what I am thinking so far:

Soul Surfer: A True Story of Faith, Family, and Fighting to Get Back on the Board (surfing)

Summerland (baseball)

Running the Rift (running)

And I have not decided yet if I am going to use this one or not, but for any Harry Potter fans out there you could always read Quidditch Through the Ages by J.K. Rowling.

Britt, Book Habitue (britt--bookhabitue) | 441 comments Learning to Swim is an awesome mystery/thriller type that would count. I'm not a sports person either, so I'll have to do some thinking to get enough, but I've already finished one!
Two For Joy is a sweet little "chapter book" (really it's more like a short story) shelved in JF about a girl and her mom and the great-aunt who comes to live with them after falling and breaking her ankle. Soccer features strongly. :)

message 14: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 366 comments I don't care for sports, either, but I found Bliss, Remembered to be good (Olympics, romance, mystery) and I'd like to read Shoeless Joe.

Maybe get some fantasy sword-fighting books in there, too.

message 15: by Linda (new)

Linda | 187 comments Finding 5 different sports might be a challenge for me. I dont care much for sports books either

message 16: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 112 comments I am going to start with Booked. I really liked The Crossover, so I hope to enjoy this as well. Other than that,I am not sure. Sports aren't really my thing either. I mean, I have read some good books that incorporate sports but I don't play or watch sports.

message 17: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 58 comments In honor of Muhammad Ali I am adding The Soul of a Butterfly: Reflections on Life's Journey to my list.

message 18: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 987 comments I have finished my first book for the challenge. White Water by Jonathan and Aaron London. A kid goes on a white water raft trip with his father and other friends on Utah's Green River. Even if you are not interested in reading it, it's worth taking a look at for the gorgeous illustrations (from oil paintings) of the Green River.

Challenge books:
Boating: White Water by Jonathan and Aaron London.

message 19: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 987 comments And I've finished my second book. Tumble Bunnies by Kathryn Lasky. Clyde's school is having a Super Sports day and Clyde doesn't want to go. He knows he won't be picked for any team. Then his friend Rosemary tells him about a free-style portion of the event and he decides to try his hand.

Challenge books:
Trampoline, Free-style: Tumble Bunnies by Kathryn Lasky

message 20: by Urian (new)

Urian | 1 comments First year doing the reading challenge. I am starting with Wrestling for My Life: The Legend, the Reality, and the Faith of a WWE Superstar, and I will likely read a book about Muhammad Ali. I would love suggestions for others.

message 21: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 987 comments OK, I have a question. In challenges past, I've been able to include some book that I was currently reading because an argument (sometimes specious) could be made there was a reference to the topic of the challenge so it would fit. My mantra has always been "it's all in the definition". I'm currently reading a mystery in which the main character goes jogging to lower her stress. For this challenge, would that count? I read a book a while back about a cowboy who rode horses as part of his work. Would that count?

Its just that this challenge seems so much more limited in scope than previous challenges, particularly summer challenges. It's hard to get a handle on. Forgive my poor grammar, please.

message 22: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 366 comments Debbie wrote: "OK, I have a question. In challenges past, I've been able to include some book that I was currently reading because an argument (sometimes specious) could be made there was a reference to the topic..."

In my opinion, if the person goes jogging regularly, go ahead and count it. As long as it contributes to the story, I say.

message 23: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 987 comments Audrey wrote: "In my opinion, if the person goes jogging regularly, go ahead and count it. As long as it contributes to the story, I say. "

Welll now, that's a good point. The story varies. Sometimes she just refers to jogging (I went for my jog and then had dinner at Carl's Diner). Sometimes she thinks about the case while jogging. Sometimes her jogging turns into running for her life as some crazzie chases her. I'd hazard a guess that it runs about 50% of the time it's the first type of scenario and the other 50% we, the reader, go along with her, if you take my meaning.

message 24: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 987 comments I have finished my 3rd book of the challenge. Written by Ree Drummond, the Pioneer Woman Cooks lady, Charlie Plays Ball is a wonderfully fun book about dogs joining in as the family plays a variety of different types of ball games together. I particularly liked it because it looked at how dogs actually are, rather than making them like humans.

Challenge books:
Family play time: Charlie Plays Ball by Ree Drummond

message 25: by Elizabeth (new)

Urian wrote: "First year doing the reading challenge. I am starting with Wrestling for My Life: The Legend, the Reality, and the Faith of a WWE Superstar, and I will likely read a book about Muha..."

Welcome to the Goodreads Reading Challenge! For Muhammad Ali books, you could try The Ali Files: His Fights, His Foes, His Fees, His Feats, His Fate, or King of the World: Muhammad Ali and the Rise of an American Hero or The Soul of a Butterfly: Reflections on Life's Journey which is his autobiography. For other ideas, it looks like you enjoy sport biographies. Check out this Goodreads list with over 150 different popular Sport Biographies.

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

message 26: by Elizabeth (new)

Debbie wrote: "Welll now, that's a good point. The story varies. Someti...".

That definitely counts Debbie. The horse one would count too, provided you read it in June, July or August.

message 27: by Elizabeth (new)

Jenny wrote: "I am going to start with Booked. I really liked The Crossover, so I hope to enjoy this as well. Other than that,I am not sure. Sports aren't really my thing either. ..."

Awesome! That's on my TBR pile.

message 28: by Elizabeth (new)

Brittany wrote: "In honor of Muhammad Ali I am adding The Soul of a Butterfly: Reflections on Life's Journey to my list."

I think that's a fantastic idea.

message 29: by Elizabeth (new)

A lot of you have mentioned sports aren't your thing. But I think it's great that you're finding books for this challenge. Reading out of your comfort zone can sometimes be hard, but I think it's great that you are all giving it a go!

On your mark, get set, READ!

(That's the kids summer reading theme.)

message 30: by Elizabeth (new)

Linda wrote: "Finding 5 different sports might be a challenge for me. I dont care much for sports books either"

What genre of books do you enjoy reading? I bet we can find one in that genre that you might enjoy.

message 31: by Elizabeth (new)

Brittany wrote: "My husband is a sports fanatic, so he is super excited about this challenge. It's going to be a little harder for me though. ..."

Does your husband have a goodreads? I hope he posts what he read. Also, the Quidditch book sounds AWESOME

message 32: by Elizabeth (new)

Britt, Book Habitue wrote: "Learning to Swim is an awesome mystery/thriller type that would count. I'm not a sports person either, so I'll have to do some thinking to get enough, but I've already finished one!
Two For Joy is ..."

Ooh, I'll have to add Two For Joy to my TBR pile. Thanks for the suggestion

message 33: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 987 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Debbie wrote: "Welll now, that's a good point. The story varies. Someti...".

That definitely counts Debbie. The horse one would count too, provided you read it in June, July or August."

That helps A LOT, Elizabeth. Those of us who tend to not "sportify", are pretty narrow in our definitions of "sports". But if we can apply my mantra of "it's all in the definitions" then sports, in this challenge, really refers to any type of vigorous physical activity. It's not limited just to formally organized events.

message 34: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 165 comments I'm reading Long Ships, about the Vikings in the 10th and 11 the centuries. They were extremely physically fit. The 2 main characters had to row a boat daily for 2 years. They have to sail, hunt, walk, and be ready for an impromptu sword duel to the death during Yuletide dinner.

message 35: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 987 comments I have finished my 4th book for the challenge. In B is for Burglar by Sue Grafton, the main character, Kinsey Millhone, Private Investigator, goes jogging daily both for exercise and ruminating over the case. Sometimes the running jogs (pun intended) a clue into her awareness.

Challenge books:
Jogging: B is for Burglar by Sue Grafton

message 36: by Linda (new)

Linda | 187 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Linda wrote: "Finding 5 different sports might be a challenge for me. I dont care much for sports books either"

What genre of books do you enjoy reading? I bet we can find one in that genre that y..."

I enjoy historical fiction. I also read a lot of childrens books for my job as a para

message 37: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 987 comments Linda wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Linda wrote: "Finding 5 different sports might be a challenge for me. I dont care much for sports books either"

What genre of books do you enjoy reading? I bet we can find one in..."

You might do what I did. Look up the subject "Sports--Fiction" in the catalog or even "Sports--Juvenile Fiction" and, scanning through, see if anything strikes your fancy. If you haven't read them, you might try MC Higgins, the Great or Holes. And Crossover is a recent Newbery winner that is about sports.

message 38: by Debbie (last edited Jun 09, 2016 09:28AM) (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 987 comments I have finished my 5th book, but it is also about boating so doesn't count as 5 sports. (But that's OK because I have more books coming down the pike.) There's Always Room for One More by Ingrid Schubert was a fun read. Beaver builds a small boat for himself and invites his friends to join him. But it is a one person boat. Then Beaver builds a raft so he and his friends can go boating together.

Challenge books:
Boating:
White Water by Jonathan and Aaron London.
There's Always Room for One More by Ingrid Schubert.

message 39: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 366 comments Debbie wrote: "I have finished my 5th book, but it is also about boating so doesn't count as 5 sports. (But that's OK because I have more books coming down the pike.) [book:There's Always Room for One More|513132..."

Wow -- Congrats

message 40: by Elizabeth (last edited Jun 09, 2016 04:17PM) (new)

Linda wrote: "Historical fiction and children's books..."

Try In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson or Honus & Me. For a historical picture book try Baseball Saved Us. There's alsoOne Season of Hope if you want historical christian sporty fiction.

message 41: by Elizabeth (new)

Congratulations Debbie!

message 42: by Debbie (last edited Jun 10, 2016 06:35AM) (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 987 comments I've finished my 6th book and 5th sport: Tacky and the Winter Games by Helen Lester. Tacky is a Very Large penguin. The other penguins embroil him in their efforts to win the Winter Games held by several penguin colonies. It was great fun to see how Tacky manages to get into several spots of trouble. Of course, get out again.

So I will now say I've completed the challenge, but I'll continue posting qualifying books as I finish them. Someone might find a useful suggestion that way.

Challenge books:
Boating:
White Water by Jonathan and Aaron London.
There's Always Room for One More by Ingrid Schubert.

Olympic sports: Tacky and the Winter Games by Helen Lester

message 43: by Becky (new)

Becky | 280 comments I finished my first book for the Summer Challenge: Following Atticus: Forty-Eight High Peaks, One Little Dog, and an Extraordinary Friendship. The sport is hiking/mountain climbing. I cannot fully express how much I loved this book and recommend it. I have had the book since Christmas and finally picked it up when I saw it fit the challenge. It was wonderful and the best part is, the author is on facebook so I can further follow his adventures!

message 44: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 165 comments I read the biography Swan: The Life and Dance of Anna Pavlova. The writing is sparse, as fits a children's book. The amazing illustrations are an integral part of the story. At one point, I had goosebumps.
I really enjoyed the book and learned a lot about Anna Pavlova and the enduring contributions she made in ballet.

message 45: by Elizabeth (new)

Becky wrote: "I finished my first book for the Summer Challenge: Following Atticus: Forty-Eight High Peaks, One Little Dog, and an Extraordinary Friendship. The sport is hiking/mountain climbing...."

I am so glad you liked the book and that you can follow the further adventures of the author. I might have to read this one!

message 46: by Elizabeth (new)

Debbie wrote: "I've finished my 6th book and 5th sport: Tacky and the Winter Games by Helen Lester. Tacky is a Very Large penguin. The other penguins embroil him in their efforts to win the Winter G..."

Helen Lester's books are the best! I have a soft spot for Tacky, because he's adorable. But I think my favorite one is Hurty Feelings. SO CUTE.

message 47: by Elizabeth (new)

Teresa wrote: "I read the biography Swan: The Life and Dance of Anna Pavlova. The writing is sparse, as fits a children's book. The amazing illustrations are an integral part of the story. At one ..."

Ooh, I love that you got goosebumps. I'll have to read this one too.

message 48: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 165 comments Elizabeth, you are so positive and encouraging. I love reading your comments to each of us.

message 49: by Elizabeth (new)

Thanks Teresa *blushes*

message 50: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 987 comments Teresa wrote: "Elizabeth, you are so positive and encouraging. I love reading your comments to each of us."

Ditto. Plus, when we have questions, your answers are always right to the point without a lot of piffle.

« previous 1 3 4