The Diverse Shelf discussion

General > Mod Announcements

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Byron, The Queer One (new)

Byron Gann (thedahlingdarling) | 60 comments Mod
This is a thread for all announcements for the group.

:)

message 2: by Byron, The Queer One (new)

Hello readers!
Just a couple of things for today.

First off I have added a facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/thediverseshelf ) to hopefully reach a greater number of people.

Second I am going to be adding a second book to the BotM for each month - one for adults (may include some older YA) and one that is specifically for young adult and children. Obviously you don't have to read both (or either if you choose not to) but I would like to put a greater focus on YA diversity in addition to books made for adults.

I welcome any feedback or suggestions!

Happy reading!

message 3: by Byron, The Queer One (new)

Mods wanted, come party with us.

While this group may still be pretty small and doesn't need a whole lot of attention at the moment, I want it to keep growing and one important factor in that happening is going to be having a diverse staff as well as book selection to offer unique perspectives and information - if you are interested in becoming and mod for this group for any of the following reasons (not you don't have to do all of them if you don't want to, you can pick just one thing you would like to do):

Monitor discussion boards and respond to inquires and intro posts.
Manage the bookshelves.
Manage challenges and come up with new interactions.
Welcome new members.
Promote the group/Manage the facebook page.

Please PM let to let me know. :)

Happy reading.

message 4: by Byron, The Queer One (new)

Hello lovelies,

Just wanted to let you know some changes are being made to the shelves. Same shelves as before but now they will be a bit more organized. When a book is added you can choose to shelf it with it's genre but also with tags. Such as "tag-disability" to make it easier to find books on a certain subject. I'll be going through and tagging books over the course of the day.

If you don't want to add it to any shelves, or are unsure where to put it, that's fine! A mod will go in and shelve everything for you. :)

Happy reading!

message 5: by Byron, The Queer One (new)

Greetings and salutations,

To make things more accessible I have added a tag to the bookshelves to indicate if a book has an audio version available. Some may be audio CD's and other's may be downloadable audiobooks - if you have any questions or need help finding a specific book in a specific format please let me know here.

Happy Reading!

message 6: by Byron, The Queer One (new)

Note about trigger warnings: some books will have a trigger warning tag if they deal with potentially triggering material (exmaple: sexual assault , addiction, death, etc etc) but please note that not all books that include triggering material carry the tag due to either me not having read it to ID the triggers or the triggers not being clearly stated in the descriptions for the books.

Also, the tag is only regarding common triggers and does not specify what trigger it contains.

Some books deal with specific themes such as ableism and homophobia and are not yet tagged with a trigger warning if they are the sole theme of the book - this will likely change once I have developed a better system for triggers and warnings.

TL;DR trigger warnings are still being properly developed so be cautious when choosing new books as they have not yet all be categorized and marked and something that does not have a trigger warning may still contain triggering material.

Thank you.

message 7: by Byron, The Queer One (new)

Hello hello, just wanted to apologize for the general lack of updates over the last week or so - I've been having some low spoon days one right after another, I'm going to try to poke in later and work on the bookshelf and freebies some more but no promised but I may end up missing for a few days.

Happy reading

message 8: by Byron, The Queer One (new)

Deepest apologies for being late with the polls - but the nominations for July BotM both young adult and adult picks have been posted. :)

message 9: by Byron, The Queer One (new)

Hello lovely people,

Just wanted to reach out and see if we could get a few more votes on the BotM polls - especially the YA one - currently we have a three way tie going between all the books XD and while I don't mind being the tie breaking between two - three is too much responsibility just just lil ol' me.

Happy reading!

message 10: by Byron, The Queer One (new)

Hello everyone!

Just a reminder that we are still looking for help and moderators for the group. I have huge dreams for this group someday, but even I can admit I am but one person - and one with a limited world view. My perspective alone will never do this group justice and it is my ultimate goal to have a staff someday as diverse as the readers. :) I know right now the group is still tiny and I may be biting off more than I can chew, but it still stands that if anyone would be interested in helping out with the group there is still an open invitation for mods!

If you are interested and think you could bring something to the table, please by all means let me know.

Happy reading ~

message 11: by Meredith (new)

Meredith (mabith) | 33 comments Mod
I don't think my modding would add a new perspective at all, and I'm not sure I can commit to keeping up with things. What exactly do you want a new mod to do?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll admit i'm a bit sluggish with my mod responsiblities with my goodreads group, but if different folks are what you're looking for and i know exactly what's needed of me, I would do my best! If you're still looking that is..

message 13: by Byron, The Queer One (new)

Hello everyone!

Just jumping on for a quick moment to apologize about the delay in getting up the new threads, I've been swamped with school and work commitments the last week or so, sorry!

But I will be getting everything caught up after work, new threads will be up and I'll respond to any questions and sending out info about modding (thank you for the interest @Meredith and @Libertad! I really appreciate it)

Sorry again, just wanted to touch base with the group. :)

Happy Reading!

message 14: by Byron, The Queer One (new)

Hello everyone,

Just a quick note to say I have not abandoned this group but I have been caught in school work and health concerns and have not had a chance to finish with the restructuring of this group as I had planned. I'm going to be changing the BotM so that it gives you guys more time to get the books and read them - so our next voting won't be until the end of this month.

Also later this week I'll be sending our messages to anyone who expressed an interest in possibly being a mod (as you can see the help is needed right now). So keep an eye out for those.

Also just wanted to give a huge thank you to everyone who hasn't jumped shipped in the quiet of last month, I really do appreciate it. Thank you again.

Happy reading!

message 15: by Meredith (new)

Let us know what we can do!

message 16: by Meredith (new)

I tried to make a discussion topic for August's books but it wouldn't let me, so I guess that's a mods only thing?

message 17: by Byron, The Queer One (new)

Meredith wrote: "I tried to make a discussion topic for August's books but it wouldn't let me, so I guess that's a mods only thing?"

Actually no that should be a group thing for all members, that's weird. I'll check the allowances and submit a ticket to find out what is up with that. In the mean time, I hope you don't mind if I bump you up to mod? At least so it will let you create threads until I figure out why members can't post. If you decide later you would like to be bumped back down we can that.

message 18: by Meredith (new)

That's fine! Maybe it was just a Goodreads glitch then? If there's something you want to post about but don't have time shoot me a message.