Book Review Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > RULES - PLEASE READ THIS FIRST

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Danielle (last edited Apr 26, 2016 01:56PM) (new)

Danielle Evans | 1743 comments The Book Review Pool will be replacing the Review Exchange!

Here's how it works:

You must read and review a book from the review pool prior to having your book placed in a pool to be reviewed.

Step 1: Choose a book from the "Book Review Pool" thread. Provide your email address and the format you require so that the author can send the book to you. Do not pick a book that has already been chosen! Also, please pick only one book at a time! New Rule: You may now pick a book that has already been chosen but only after all of the books have been picked, and there are no more to choose from. This means that if your book is placed in the pool, you may get more than one review. You are guaranteed at least one, but if more people are interested, you could possibly get multiple. Once the pool is closed, however, you would need to review another book to get placed in the current pool. (And if you wanted a different book in the pool, you would have to do another review.) This way, we will end up with more books to choose from, and no one will have to wait to participate.

Step 2: Read and review the book you have chosen, and post the review within four weeks.

Step 3: Post the link to your Goodreads review on the "Include My Book in the Review Pool" thread. Then provide the details on the book you would like reviewed. Please use this format:

Please include my book in the new Book Review Pool!
Here is the link to my review for the book I chose:
Here is the info for my book:
Book Name:
Author:
Genre:
Formats Available:
Goodreads Link:
Any additional comments are welcome. Please let us know if your book contains adult content.

Once all of the books in the current Book Review Pool have been chosen, one of the mods will start a new pool and will include your book. (Prior threads will be closed so that it will be easy to see which one is current.)

Step 4: Once your book is listed in the current Book Review Pool and someone chooses your book, please be sure to send it over! Try to keep an eye on the thread. The mods will probably send out messages as well.

*The review guidelines are the same ones that are required by members of this group. We are all trying to help each other, not hurt one another. While all reviews should be honest and constructive criticism is certainly acceptable, please make sure you are respectful as well. If you are going to write something negative, find something positive to write about too. The sandwich method works well: start out with something positive, provide some constructive criticism (only if you feel it is worth mentioning), and then end on a positive note. Make sure you write a thorough review with at least three paragraphs. Please do not just summarize the book. Explain any thoughts and feelings that you had while reading it. If you can't find anything positive to say, you may want to email the author (or PM one of the mods if you feel uncomfortable), and provide your review with your reasoning on why you didn't like it. You may still choose to post it since it is your right to do so (we can't all like every book), but it would be preferable if you chose not to. However, please do not say anything negative about the author or completely bash the book. If you do, we will remove you from the group.

If your review is too negative to post, please send it to one of the mods privately. We will still include your book in the pool. Your review does not have to be positive. It just has to be honest! We need to be able to see that you read the book. If we feel that anyone is being dishonest, we will not include his/her book in the pool.

If you find out early on that the book is not to your liking and you would prefer not to finish it, let one of the mods know. The book can be returned to the current pool, and you can choose another one. One of the benefits to this system is that it will allow more flexibility. No one will get stuck with a book they aren't interested in. And of course, the primary benefit is that people won't get reviews unless they give one first! If someone doesn't follow through with a review, then the book can easily be placed in the current pool so that it can be reviewed by someone else. Please make sure you let a mod know if you don't receive your review. One of us will send a message to the reviewer, and if we don't hear back or if he/she is unable to review it, we will add your book to the current pool.

There have been several issues in the past with the Review Exchange, and I'm hoping this new system may help eliminate some of those issues. We had people signing up who received reviews for their books, yet failed to follow through on their end (or even respond to messages). My hope is that this new system will deter people who aren't reliable from participating. And those who are serious about reviewing will have a new avenue to do so. And since you can pick out of a pool whenever you want, you will probably be more likely to end up with a book you're interested in reading. (Make sure you frequently check the current pool because we can add books at any time. So even if nothing looks appealing in the current pool, we may end up adding a few more throughout the week. We may also hold off on adding books if the pool is getting too large. We will want to wait to make sure they all get picked first.)

My main concern is if we have books that sit for awhile without being chosen, so I'm hoping we'll have people who would be willing to help out in that situation (and of course they would still get their book placed in a pool as well). It often took awhile to get enough sign ups for the Review Exchange, so hopefully it won't be much different.

Since this is a new system, we may need to make some tweaks to the rules as we go along. Any suggestions, comments, and/or questions are welcome. Thank you!

message 2: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Evans | 1743 comments Also, anyone who reviewed a book in the exchange but never received a review in return is welcome to be included in the first pool. Just send me a message please. I don't want the pool to be too big, so the sooner you let me know, the better. Thanks!

message 3: by Danielle (last edited May 07, 2014 05:40PM) (new)

Danielle Evans | 1743 comments I would like to add that once you read and review a book, you may then pick another one. You are limited to one at a time, but you can keep going after each one is complete.

message 4: by Danielle (last edited May 12, 2014 04:39PM) (new)

Danielle Evans | 1743 comments Readers are welcome to read and review books too! You do not need to be an author in order to participate. However, if you do not have a book that you would like reviewed, please let me know. Then an author can pick that same book. If authors want to limit how many review copies they will be willing to give out, they need to let me know. Thanks!

message 5: by Geri (new)

Geri Taylor (g2taylor) | 25 comments I'm looking for a detective drama if anyone has one that needs a review.

message 6: by Tom (new)

Tom Bryson (goodreadscomtombrysonwritercouk) | 17 comments Geri wrote: "I'm looking for a detective drama if anyone has one that needs a review."

Hi Geri, My latest crime/police detective novel IN IT FOR THE MONEY just published on amazon. Would you review? If yes what format would you like? Tom.
http://tinyurl.com/lyqokv7

message 7: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Evans | 1743 comments Christina wrote: "Love this idea of a Book Review Pool Danielle! I only wish there were more humor and non-fiction books to choose from. I would love to read/review some books in those genres and then add my 2 newes..."

Thanks, Christina! This group is still growing so keep checking back. I'm always adding different kinds of books. :)

message 8: by A.R. (new)

A.R. Rivera | 8 comments I've got a tragic, romantic suspense novel that needs reviews and would love to read some womens fiction, hen lit, detective or suspense novel in return.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan Parker | 7 comments Hi All,

We have recently updated books to help students prepare for the standardized tests. It has practice tests and workbooks that are aligned with the new Common Core State Standards and PARCC guidelines. It was written and edited by expert teachers.

I am trying to collect reviews for the recently updated books.

It would be nice if you guys could write a short review for our books by reading the content available at LOOK INSIDE feature and also by reading reviews of other reviewers. If you guys require, I'm happy to send you the e-book.
please reply to this post so that I can provide the link to the respective books.

Send me back a link to your book, and I will gladly review it in exchange.

Looking forward to your favorable reply

Thanks!
susan

message 10: by A.R. (new)

A.R. Rivera | 8 comments Susan,
Send me a link, girl!
My Book is Between Octobers, by A. R. Rivera and it's free right now on books.noisetrade.com
For some reason, it doesn't come up when you type the full title into the search. You have to just type in 'Octobers' (plural) and then you can download the book for free in whatever eformat.
If you don't mind, could you send me the Text book by email?
I'm at dontusethethreestones @ gmail (dot) com.

message 11: by A.R. (new)

A.R. Rivera | 8 comments Susan,
Actually, here's the link to my blog page. Click on the book cover and it will take you to the noise trade site.

message 12: by A.R. (new)

A.R. Rivera | 8 comments Gah! I'm all thumbs!
I keep hitting submit instead of cancel!
Anyhoo, here's my link:
http://arriverabooks.com/my-book/
Go there. Click the book cover, it'll take you to the site for my free ebook.
Now, you can send me your link so I can post a review.
Do you want the review on Good reads, amazon, or both?

message 13: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Hendricks | 2 comments I'm looking for a children's book to read/review. :)

message 14: by Geri (new)

Geri Taylor (g2taylor) | 25 comments Do you have your book on a Book Review Poll?
Tom wrote: "Geri wrote: "I'm looking for a detective drama if anyone has one that needs a review."

Hi Geri, My latest crime/police detective novel IN IT FOR THE MONEY just published on amazon. Would you revie..."

Tom,
Do you have your book up on the I have been super busy lately, but I'd like to read and review you book. I won't be able to get to it for a couple of weeks. Tom wrote: "Geri wrote: "I'm looking for a detective drama if anyone has one that needs a review."

Hi Geri, My latest crime/police detective novel IN IT FOR THE MONEY just published on amazon. Would you revie..."

message 15: by Randall (new)

Randall S. Davis (randalls) Danielle wrote: "I would like to add that once you read and review a book, you may then pick another one. You are limited to one at a time, but you can keep going after each one is complete."

Okay, I would like to read and review The Silver Butterfly. How do I get a copy.

Thanks.

message 17: by Danielle (last edited May 20, 2015 04:45PM) (new)

Danielle Evans | 1743 comments Randall wrote: "Danielle wrote: "I would like to add that once you read and review a book, you may then pick another one. You are limited to one at a time, but you can keep going after each one is complete."

Okay..."

Hi, Randall! Unfortunately, that book was already chosen. Here's the link to the thread where all the books are listed: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

If you are interested in any of the other books, please make your selection on there. Thanks!

message 18: by Danielle (last edited Jul 18, 2015 04:07PM) (new)

Danielle Evans | 1743 comments Gail wrote: "Just a couple of questions Danielle: if I don't complete my review before you open another pool, do I just post the review in the next pool and submit my own book for review in the next pool?
Also ..."

Hi Gail,

Once you complete a review, you just sign your book up here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

And then I will either add it to the current pool or put it in a new pool if I'm starting one (or make your book available again if it's already in the current pool). If you complete a second review, you can certainly sign up a different book for review.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Danielle

message 19: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Labonté | 8 comments Hey Danielle,
Once we have reviewed the book is it possible to go back and delete our post with our email address? I'm just thinking our emails will then be public for no reason after the author has sent us something.

message 20: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Evans | 1743 comments Sophia wrote: "Hey Danielle,
Once we have reviewed the book is it possible to go back and delete our post with our email address? I'm just thinking our emails will then be public for no reason after the author ha..."

Hi Sophia, you could do that. Also, if you're uncomfortable with your email being posted publicly, you could private message the author or one of the moderators with your email address. Hope this helps. :)

message 21: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Labonté | 8 comments Danielle wrote: "Sophia wrote: "Hey Danielle,
Once we have reviewed the book is it possible to go back and delete our post with our email address? I'm just thinking our emails will then be public for no reason afte..."

Okay thanks

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan Parker | 7 comments Hi

We have published new series of books and seeking reviews on Amazon.com. I am interested in review swap. If you are interested, please send the link to your book, I would be happy to review.
Look forward to your positive reply.

Thanks
Susan

message 23: by Jerome (new)

Jerome Brooke (jeromevbrooke) | 118 comments I am an active reviewer - jeromevbrooke@yahoo.com - send me the file by email.

message 24: by Valicity (new)

Valicity Elaine | 26 comments Jerome wrote: "I am an active reviewer - jeromevbrooke@yahoo.com - send me the file by email."

I sent you an email at the other address you listed a few days ago.

message 25: by Jerome (new)

Jerome Brooke (jeromevbrooke) | 118 comments jeromevbrooke@yahoo.com or astarteimmortal2yahoo.com

message 26: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonreisfeld) Danielle,
I'm interested in joining the pool, but I'd like a little more guidance as to what is generally termed "adult content." For instance, is the inclusion of certain profanity, even if limited in frequency, enough to make a book's content "adult"? Also, if a description of a brief sex scene is included does that qualify? Any help on clarifying this would be appreciated. (If there is a standard definition someone on Goodreads, that also would be good to know. Thanks.

message 27: by Danielle (last edited Oct 05, 2015 05:23PM) (new)

Danielle Evans | 1743 comments Jon wrote: "Danielle,
I'm interested in joining the pool, but I'd like a little more guidance as to what is generally termed "adult content." For instance, is the inclusion of certain profanity, even if limite..."

Hi Jon,

I wouldn't worry too much about whether or not your book may have what's considered to be adult content. Most of the people in our group are of age; the main reason to specify if it has adult content is to make sure you're appealing to the right audience. Some readers can't stand profanity and may give your book a low rating for even a few minor curse words.

Here's the definition I found for adult content pertaining to shows or movies: "This indicates that the film or program may contain suggestive dialogue, crude humor or in extreme cases, drug references or depiction of drug and/or alcohol use that may not be suitable for children." There are separate definitions for adult language, violence, nudity, sexual content, etc. I would just err on the side of caution and write that it contains some profanity and sexual content (nothing explicit). You can give as much detail as you feel necessary without having to label your book has having adult content.

Hope this helps. :)

Danielle

message 28: by Diane (new)

Diane (dianehall) | 5 comments Hi there, I'm interested in reviewing spiritual books, including and visionary fiction. Also contemporary
romance and fun books.

message 29: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 6 comments If a reader wants to review our book, do we still need to read another book first? Thanks.

message 30: by Uma (new)

Uma | 307 comments Kathy wrote: "If a reader wants to review our book, do we still need to read another book first? Thanks."

Hi Kathy,

In order for us to list your book under the current pool to be read and reviewed, you have to pick a book from the pool to review it first.

If a reader who is not in the Book Review Pool decides to review your book, then no worries. You may go ahead :-)

message 31: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 6 comments Uma wrote: "Kathy wrote: "If a reader wants to review our book, do we still need to read another book first? Thanks."

Hi Kathy,

In order for us to list your book under the current pool to be read and reviewe..."

Thanks, Uma, for this information.

message 32: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Stancomb (anthonystancombgmailcom) | 34 comments Dear Danielle,
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Book Name:Notes From a very Small Island
Author:Anthony Stancomb
Genre:Memoir/travel/Life change
Formats Available:epub mobi pdf
Goodreads Link:https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Hopefully it might encourage the a reader to come and visit us one day!

Regards, Anthony

message 33: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Evans | 1743 comments Anthony wrote: "Dear Danielle,
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Here is the info for my book:..."

Thanks, Anthony! I will add your book to the current pool. :-) However, you posted your review in the comments section rather than the actual review section. To fix it, just go to the book, and where it says My Review, click on edit which is on the right hand side. A box will pop up. You can copy and paste your review into that box, then click save. If you need any help with this, please let me know.

Thanks!

Danielle

message 34: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Stancomb (anthonystancombgmailcom) | 34 comments Thanks Danielle. Just did it - silly me!
Anthony

message 35: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Evans | 1743 comments Anthony wrote: "Thanks Danielle. Just did it - silly me!
Anthony"

No problem! Thanks, Anthony!

message 36: by H.K. (new)

H.K. Thompson (hkthompson) | 35 comments Hi Danielle, I've looked for your email address but I can't find it. I need to contact you re: a review. Could you please let me know how best to do this? Thanks!

message 37: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Evans | 1743 comments Heather wrote: "Hi Danielle, I've looked for your email address but I can't find it. I need to contact you re: a review. Could you please let me know how best to do this? Thanks!"

Hi Heather, I just sent you a message. :)

message 38: by juan (new)

juan juan | 3 comments Hi, my book is written in spanish. Are there any spanish speakers in this group?

message 39: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Evans | 1743 comments Martín wrote: "Hi, my book is written in spanish. Are there any spanish speakers in this group?"

I'm honestly not sure! We currently have 675 members (and we're still growing) so chances are there are some Spanish speakers. Hopefully someone will see your post and speak up!

message 40: by juan (new)

juan juan | 3 comments Ok, let's wait then!

message 41: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Evans | 1743 comments Martín wrote: "Ok, let's wait then!"

Okay, sounds like a plan!

message 42: by Georgia (new)

Georgia Lainiotis | 5 comments Hello, I just finished reviewing a book that was assigned to me.https://www.goodreads.com/review/show.... Could you please tell me how I can get my book on the list? And how I can get a goodreads link for my book (where do I upload information). Thank you

message 43: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Evans | 1743 comments Georgia wrote: "Hello, I just finished reviewing a book that was assigned to me.https://www.goodreads.com/review/show.... Could you please tell me how I can get my book on the list? And how I can get a goo..."

Hi Georgia,

Thanks for reviewing a book in the pool! Here's the link to sign up to have your book included: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

If you need your book added to Goodreads, I would suggest joining the Goodreads Librarian Group. You can post a request to have your book added. Here's the link to the group: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. :)

Thanks!

Danielle

message 44: by Dan (new)

Dan Gillis | 10 comments Danielle,

Do you have a general time frame for the length each pool? Forgive me if I missed it, I looked through the threads a couple times. I am assuming once books are submitted, that specific set is locked in and not added to.

Thanks for any clarification!

message 45: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Evans | 1743 comments Dan wrote: "Danielle,

Do you have a general time frame for the length each pool? Forgive me if I missed it, I looked through the threads a couple times. I am assuming once books are submitted, that specific s..."

Hi Dan,

I don't have a specific time frame for the length of each pool. I usually start a new one when the pool gets too large because I keep adding books to it as more reviews come in. The original set is definitely not locked in!

Hope this helps! Feel free to contact me with any other questions.

Thanks!
Danielle

message 46: by Ronesa (new)

Ronesa Aveela (aveela) | 60 comments Hi, would it be possible to start a pool for children's books or short books--something under 10K? I often have to read a 300-400 page book only to post one that is fewer than 5000 words. I enjoy reading, but it does take a lot more of my time that I could be spending on several smaller books in order to get as many reviews in return. Just a thought. I realize it might not move as quickly as the normal threads, but I've seen others here who write shorter books. Thanks either way. :)

message 47: by Robin (new)

Robin Austin (robingaustin) | 52 comments Can I get the link changed on the book I had added to the review pool? I did a add book search but it didn't convert to a link. Here is the link - Strangely Twisted Vol 1 Dark & Fishy

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Thanks

message 48: by Karen (new)

Karen Ginther (karengraham) | 37 comments Please include my book in the new Book Review Pool!
Here is the link to my review for the book I chose: I'm sorry, I don't know how to get the link but I left a review for Love and Tumult
Book Name:Finding Rose Rocks
Author:Karen Ginther Graham
Genre:Autumnal Romance
Formats Available: digital
Goodreads Link:https://www.goodreads.com/karen+ginth...
Any additional comments are welcome. Please let us know if your book contains adult content. My book contains adult content

message 49: by Suzy (new)

Suzy Davies I have read the rules and I would like to read The Silver Butterfly. My email is ladywriter@hotmail.co.uk. A PDF would be perfect! Best Wishes, Suzy Davies.

message 50: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 6 comments Suzy wrote: "I have read the rules and I would like to read The Silver Butterfly. My email is ladywriter@hotmail.co.uk. A PDF would be perfect! Best Wishes, Suzy Davies."

That story is so beautiful. I enjoyed it and recommended it.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.