Star Trek Reads discussion

A Time to Be Born (Star Trek: A Time to... #1)
This topic is about A Time to Be Born
The Next Generation > A Time To...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Whitney (last edited May 06, 2014 10:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 76 comments I am taking my first trip into the Star Trek Lit-verse and I am starting with the A Time to... series. I would love to discuss and to see what you all think of this series.

A Time to Be Born (Star Trek The Next Generation Time, #1) by John Vornholt A Time to Die by John Vornholt A Time to Sow (Star Trek The Next Generation) by Dayton Ward A Time to Harvest (Star Trek The Next Generation Time, #4) by Dayton Ward A Time to Love (Star Trek) by Robert Greenberger A Time To Hate (Star Trek The Next Generation) by Robert Greenberger A Time to Kill (Star Trek The Next Generation) by David Mack A Time to Heal (Star Trek The Next Generation Time, #8) by David Mack A Time for War, A Time for Peace (Star Trek, the Next Generation) by Keith R.A. DeCandido

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 76 comments So because I'm only 24 a lot of this series (TNG) is re-runs I'm not sure if the fact that Wesley (view spoiler) now is a spoiler or if they completely made it up. lol oh well so far the writing is pretty good. :)

Carlissa | 17 comments I read this series 10 years ago when it first came out and I remember liking it. Wish I had time to re-read it with you!

message 4: by Vaughn (new) - added it

Vaughn | 27 comments How far are you into this story? I've been dying to read it and can't find anyone that wants to read it with me. I don't have time to right away because I'm reading the dark hunters but would consider joining in at some point

Chris | 27 comments I'm just starting A Time to Sow, but I am also reading through Voyager's book series. I am also parsing in work reading, other new Trek books, and classics as I go along.

It is totally possible to catch up. I am loving it so far, the covers are awful- but the contents have been fun action romps. My only complaint now is that I don't have more stuff to read about Wesley Crusher (a few short stories aside, he doesn't get much love in the novels, as far as I have seen thus far).

message 6: by Vaughn (new) - added it

Vaughn | 27 comments Poor Wesley gets no love at all. Poor guy.

message 7: by Vaughn (new) - added it

Vaughn | 27 comments Not sure if I can catch up to you, since I'm not a very fast reader. But if the thread is still open when I do, I'll leave my comments.

Chris | 27 comments I'm usually a slow reader too, and A Time to Sow doesn't pick up very quickly (so far), so I will probably set it aside for a while.

Those first two novels are relatively short, and they move at a clip. The story should have probably been released in one volume, since that is basically how the plot works, the true rising action and then payoff happens in that second volume, and neither work really could stand on its own legs.

I'm honestly not sure why they attempted 10 books in this series, if the rest of the duologies are like the first one then they could have done 5 solid (if large for a Trek book) novels.

Anyway, I hope more folks start reading so we can discuss these. So far I am very excited for what comes next.

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 76 comments Vaughn wrote: "How far are you into this story? I've been dying to read it and can't find anyone that wants to read it with me. I don't have time to right away because I'm reading the dark hunters but would cons..."

Vaughn I haven't started the book I just purchased it we can read together if you want just let me know when.

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 76 comments Being so young when I caught on to TNG I didn't remember what happened to wesley so this is interesting. I'm on the first chapter. I'm kind of against him (view spoiler) it just doesnt seem like where his character arc should have went.

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (brokencompass) | 151 comments Mod
If you guys like, I can start setting this series as the group read? Each month (or two months, whatever time period you choose) can be a different book in the series.

Let me know!

Bruce | 42 comments I you set up a group read, count me in. I've read nearly 300 Star Trek novels but never read this series.

message 13: by Vaughn (last edited May 20, 2014 06:11PM) (new) - added it

Vaughn | 27 comments Chakara wrote: "Vaughn wrote: "How far are you into this story? I've been dying to read it and can't find anyone that wants to read it with me. I don't have time to right away because I'm reading the dark hunters..."
i have to finish one that I'm reading. hope to be finished this weekend and the next read is a reread. so maybe this weekend. but dont let me hold you up. start when you want

message 14: by Vaughn (new) - added it

Vaughn | 27 comments Andrea wrote: "If you guys like, I can start setting this series as the group read? Each month (or two months, whatever time period you choose) can be a different book in the series.

Let me know!"

i've been looking for a group reading this

message 15: by Vaughn (new) - added it

Vaughn | 27 comments Bruce wrote: "I you set up a group read, count me in. I've read nearly 300 Star Trek novels but never read this series."

cool

Eddie | 22 comments I'm in. Read the 1st one, others waiting.

message 17: by Vaughn (new) - added it

Vaughn | 27 comments Chakara wrote: "Being so young when I caught on to TNG I didn't remember what happened to wesley so this is interesting. I'm on the first chapter. I'm kind of against him [spoilers removed] it just doesnt seem lik..."

if you watch the first season of TNG you will see that this was where Wes was headed.

Chris | 27 comments Vaughn wrote: "Chakara wrote: "Being so young when I caught on to TNG I didn't remember what happened to wesley so this is interesting. I'm on the first chapter. I'm kind of against him [spoilers removed] it just..."

I agree, though I initially didn't see it, they made him such a savant that he either had to go on to something greater- or die doing something incredible (or both).

message 19: by Linda (new)

Linda Wrage | 5 comments Count me in if you set up a group read. I've got these books and have been trying to get around to reading them for ages.

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 76 comments Vaughn wrote: "Chakara wrote: "Being so young when I caught on to TNG I didn't remember what happened to wesley so this is interesting. I'm on the first chapter. I'm kind of against him [spoilers removed] it just..."

I watched the first season and the second all the way through not even missing a single episode and I did not see this was where wes was headed. I saw him on a space ship maybe under riker or something similar blah blah. I think he wanted to be like his father and his other father figures that he looked up to.
To be alone traveling until he dies? I don't think so thats so sad IMO.

Chris | 27 comments Chakara, alone is not really accurate. The Travelers share everything with one another. It isn't nearly as sad, in the sense of utter loneliness, as you make it out to be. It is sad to have to just watch civilizations, friends, or any other things you love just burn away without doing something about it.

At the end of season 2 I would agree about him. They certainly wrote him that way, like his stolid life goal would be to captain a starship or be a chief engineer. But I feel like he couldn't just be an Ensign-- he was built up as too much of a genius. Then after that episode with the Red Squad (or whatever their name was) he realized his father had dreams which he may not share.

message 22: by Whitney (last edited May 24, 2014 10:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 76 comments Chris wrote: "Chakara, alone is not really accurate. The Travelers share everything with one another. It isn't nearly as sad, in the sense of utter loneliness, as you make it out to be. It is sad to have to just..."

I don't think the red squad was in season two? I recently finished the whole thing so its pretty fresh in my mind. Maybe season three? I think the writers wanted to do something unexpected with his character in the end. I never thought of there being any human travelers and there for he would still be alone the only one of his kind. But maybe there are others?

message 23: by Vaughn (last edited May 25, 2014 05:21AM) (new) - added it

Vaughn | 27 comments the episode that reveals him to become a traveler is 'Where no one has gone before.' it doesn't say he IS a traveler, it reveals that he is gifted. The traveler 'implies' that this will be his future.

message 24: by Chris (last edited May 25, 2014 06:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris | 27 comments I wasn't clear Chakara, I meant I would agree with your assessment of Wesley throughout the series right up until the moment when he has to repeat his final year of the Academy.

When I re-read my own comment, I could tell my point was about as clear as mud.

Vaughn, you are absolutely correct. But most people took that implication and ran with it.

I am pretty excited to start reading through this with you guys...Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Bruce | 42 comments When Star Trek The Experience was operating in Las Vegas, there was a video with Wil Wheaton as Wesley serving on the U.S.S. Titan in engineering. So I thought Wesley may still occasionally serve in Starfleet since he was also in uniform at Riker & Troi's wedding.

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 76 comments Vaughn wrote: "the episode that reveals him to become a traveler is 'Where no one has gone before.' it doesn't say he IS a traveler, it reveals that he is gifted. The traveler 'implies' that this will be his fut..."

I hope this is not a spoiler Vaughn but I was talking about him being a traveler in the book.

message 27: by Whitney (last edited May 25, 2014 11:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 76 comments Chris wrote: "I wasn't clear Chakara, I meant I would agree with your assessment of Wesley throughout the series right up until the moment when he has to repeat his final year of the Academy.

When I re-read my..."

Ah yes Chris, I have not seen that episode or at least I don't remember it sometimes I start watching and then have a dajavu moment. But, I read about it on the star trek wiki page and I agree that is where they changed his path.

message 28: by Vaughn (new) - added it

Vaughn | 27 comments I haven't read the book so i would not have spoilers.if you read the intro of the book (all ST books have the time line of each book) it will tell you when the book falls. the "A Time To" series was written in response people being upset about Nemesis. therefore they wrote this series. this series tells of the events that take place after First Contact and Before Nemesis. During which Wesley left the Academy to be a Traveler which was apart of his destiny. he returned to the academy and finish to become a jr which was his rank when you see him in Nemesis.

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 76 comments Bruce wrote: "When Star Trek The Experience was operating in Las Vegas, there was a video with Wil Wheaton as Wesley serving on the U.S.S. Titan in engineering. So I thought Wesley may still occasionally serve i..."

Oh God I hate that they got married but this is not the thread for venting about how much I dislike Rikers ways with the ladies. Did they really think that would make him likable? ugh

I thought he just wore the outfit because his name is Wesley and he does as he pleases lol.

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 76 comments Vaughn wrote: "I haven't read the book so i would not have spoilers.if you read the intro of the book (all ST books have the time line of each book) it will tell you when the book falls. the "A Time To" series w..."

No Vaughn I was saying I hope I was not giving you any spoiler about the book. I am using the Trek Lit Verse Chart with all the books on it so I was aware of when the books take place. I feel that its very important so as I am not confused. This will be my first Trek book :).

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 76 comments I am also looking forward to reading this series with you all. Has a date been set?

message 32: by Vaughn (new) - added it

Vaughn | 27 comments Chakara wrote: "Vaughn wrote: "I haven't read the book so i would not have spoilers.if you read the intro of the book (all ST books have the time line of each book) it will tell you when the book falls. the "A Ti..."

cool

message 33: by Vaughn (new) - added it

Vaughn | 27 comments Chakara wrote: "I am also looking forward to reading this series with you all. Has a date been set?"

dont think she's made the thread yet.

for everyone to follow.
http://www.thetrekcollective.com/p/tr...

I've not read any of the books either. looking forward to it.

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 76 comments Vaughn wrote: "Chakara wrote: "I am also looking forward to reading this series with you all. Has a date been set?"

dont think she's made the thread yet.

for everyone to follow.
http://www.thetrekcollective.com..."

This is what I am using also its very interesting though the writing is small when you print it out. It is still readable just have to squint a little.

message 35: by Vaughn (new) - added it

Vaughn | 27 comments i read it on my iPad so i can enlarge it

Andrew (mr_andrew_c) | 17 comments I found this group last week. I have all 9 A Time To... books on my shelf, waiting to be read. Count me in for the group reads!

message 37: by Chris (last edited May 26, 2014 12:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris | 27 comments Chakara wrote: "Bruce wrote: "When Star Trek The Experience was operating in Las Vegas, there was a video with Wil Wheaton as Wesley serving on the U.S.S. Titan in engineering. So I thought Wesley may still occasi..."

Oh Chakara! I love Riker. I always liked how he was written. Also I was a huge shipper for the Deana/Riker relationship after reading Imzadi.

message 38: by Andrea (new)

I've listed "A Time to be Born" as one of the group reads for June 2014. You can find a dedicated discussion thread for the book here.

I'll schedule one book a month, and setup discussion thread for each. Don't feel like you're confined only to one month for each book, but I figured that's a good time frame :)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 76 comments Riker goes around humping anything that may be female while Troi waits for him to sow his royal oats or how ever the saying goes. I don't remember her having any real other love interest just waiting for him to be able to settle down. Being that "girl power" and the women that can do anything the man can do really seemed to come into play around the time that TNG was going on I would think she would be a little more dependent of him. But, Like I said I am off topic lol.

Chris | 27 comments But it's a fun rabbit trail nonetheless. I think your assessment is a bit of a whitewash, but I'm more than willing to walk it out with you. Troi actually has a relationship with Worf (the subject of Imzadi II in fact). She also has various other love interests throughout the series.

In fact I think if we do a T-Chart we would come out about even as far as "humping" the latest alien species goes. I'd honestly be interested in doing that. Next run through TNG I will start a list.

I think Troi was a very strong character in some ways, but you're right, at times, she didn't exhibit as much assertiveness as she probably could have.

Thanks for the digression. Word on the street is: we're starting our read-through very soon.

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 76 comments I don't understand the saying "whitewash". I really hope and am glad to hear that she has some relationships of her own later in the series. I have little list but it grows into other lists as it has all of the canon as far as tv and movies go on it.

I really try to like troi but I feel that she is a bit of a flat character not at all well rounded. At one point it seemed she needed to be around the person to sense their feelings and intentions then all of a sudden she could tell if a whole planet was deceiving liars? idk I don't think I understand her.

I'm 2/7 in on the " watch through" as I'm calling it and so far other than
(view spoiler) she has no other love interest and no sexual moments at all besides the uncomfortable sexual tension of her and riker. I look forward to seeing them break out of that "arc" for her.

I also can't wait for the read. Yaaaaay!

message 42: by Chris (last edited May 28, 2014 07:47AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris | 27 comments I just meant it in the sense that you gloss over Troi's trists, in order to paint Riker as the only one in the relationship who sees other people. I'm not sure about the etymology of that specific usage of the term whitewash though.

Troi's relationship that comes to my mind quickly is with the empath in an early season 2 episode. I know there are others, but that is the only one I remember specifically (aside from the aforementioned Worf relationship).

message 43: by Whitney (last edited May 28, 2014 02:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 76 comments Chris wrote: "I just meant it in the sense that you gloss over Troi's trists, in order to paint Riker as the only one in the relationship who sees other people. I'm not sure about the etymology of that specific ..."

you mean the forced relationship that neither of them wanted to be in in early season two? eh I don't count that either but what ever floats ya boat :).

Chris | 27 comments I looked it up, I'll have to watch the episode, but I don't remember it as forced...

But now I'm interested. I am talking about the one with Devinoni Ral, from what is actually an early season 3 episode, so we may be thinking different episodes here.

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 76 comments Chris wrote: "I looked it up, I'll have to watch the episode, but I don't remember it as forced...

But now I'm interested. I am talking about the one with Devinoni Ral, from what is actually an early season 3 e..."

Ah I haven't started my watch through of season three yet I've heard this is where it really takes off. :)

Eddie | 22 comments I think you are store of four great seasons. TV can do so much for a story movies of StarTrek can not, that's a day in the life type of story. The crew does not have save the galaxy every time out. I have so many favorites but most were the slice of life shows.

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 76 comments Eddie wrote: "I think you are store of four great seasons. TV can do so much for a story movies of StarTrek can not, that's a day in the life type of story. The crew does not have save the galaxy every time out...."

Thank you Eddie I loved season 3 I'm finding it so far to be the best I'm not liking season 4 as much.

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 76 comments when ever you all are ready for the next book go a head and start I will hopefully be able to get my hands on it next week and also start on it next week.

message 49: by Andrea (new)

For those of you ready to move on to the next book, I've started a discussion thread for A Time to Die.

message 50: by Brian (last edited Jul 22, 2014 09:26PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Brian | 12 comments I'm in. I am a few months behind, but I am a fast reader. Also, I've been looking for an excuse to start this series, although I was leaning towards the Gorkon series.

I am a fan of DeCandido, and I have heard good things about Mack and Ward. I was thinking I could get through the rest of the authors, if I didn't like them, but Vornholt has impressed me so far.

It's sad and pathetic when you never consider starting a book just because the cover is ugly.

« previous 1