A Foray Into Fantasy discussion

General > What book are you currently reading?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms (new)

Scott (scott18044) | 23 comments Mod
This topic is just a place to come and tell everyone about what you're reading at the minute, fantasy or otherwise.

For example, I'm reading Mistress Of The Empire by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts. I've really enjoyed this trilogy so far and am kind of sad that I'm getting towards the end, aha.

message 2: by Ashley, Khaleesi across the Narrow Sea (new)

Ashley (ashleydpt) | 32 comments Mod
I'm currently reading a few books, not the least of which is a chick lit book, but I'm excited to say that I am reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss because i've heard so much about it and had it for years, I decided it was finally time for me to sit down and read it!

message 3: by Ashley, Khaleesi across the Narrow Sea (new)

I have to update this and say that i just started Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson and I'm not too far in but I already love it so far. I can't wait to see what is next, it comes highly recommended I know, but I am really excited so far!

message 4: by Scott, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms (new)

I'm reading two books at the minute, that I took a bit of a break from a couple of months ago and have just come back to.
1- Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
2- Die Herren von Winterfell (A Song of Ice and Fire part i) by GRRM

message 5: by Cas (new)

Cas Blomberg (casblomberg) I'm reading four books at the moment.

Maybe Baby - Romance, women's fiction
Nimbus: A Steampunk Novel -- I wanted to start reading more steampunk and this popped up. It's an indie book. I'm only on the first few pages so I haven't formed much of an opinion yet =).
Shadow's Edge -- the second in Brent Weeks' Night Angel trilogy. Someone gave us the second and third, but I'm still missing the first. Hmm. Guess I should have started there.
The Last Wish -- The prequel to the Witcher books. I had never heard of them, but my husband says the Witcher series is a classic.

Of the fantasy books I'm reading, I think The Last Wish is my favorite. The stories are short, but captivating.

message 6: by Scott, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms (new)

Cas wrote: "Shadow's Edge -- the second in Brent Weeks' Night Angel trilogy. Someone gave us the second and third, but I'm still missing the first. Hmm. Guess I should have started there. "

How are you finding Shadow's Edge? I've just finished the first book in his other trilogy (The Black Prism) and wondered how you've been finding it.

message 7: by Cas (new)

Cas Blomberg (casblomberg) I'll be honest and say there are parts of the book that feel disjointed for me, which makes sense because I skipped the first book. When he talks about the magic kakare that lives within the Night Angel, for example. I wish I had more in-depth information. And he's got quite a lot going on. Sometimes I want to shout, 'No! Go back and talk about this guy more!'

I'm loving some of the minor characters though, and I think his ability to keep so many plot lines going at the same time is remarkable. I also think some parts are over the top and just a tad bit unbelievable, but I think he does it in such a humble way that it's entertaining to read instead of, 'oh great, another God-king amazing awe-inspiring villain. Can't wait.' That's my general opinion so far =). I have another 100 pages to go.

What about you? Did you read this series? Did you like The Black Prism?

message 8: by Scott, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms (new)

Cas wrote: "I'll be honest and say there are parts of the book that feel disjointed for me, which makes sense because I skipped the first book. When he talks about the magic kakare that lives within the Night ..."

hmm... That's interesting. I haven't read that series- just the Lightbringer series, so was looking at how they would stack up against each other. I rated The Black Prism a three. I definitely agree about his plots being fantastic- I really enjoyed the plot and there are some aspects of it that are quite unlike any fantasy I've read before.

The problem is the main character is the weak part of the book (in my opinion). He seemed really quite stupid in numerous places, and tended to switch between being extremely timid and extremely brave and self-confident. Overall, I enjoyed the story though. Listening to the second one as an audiobook at the minute. :)

message 9: by Ashley, Khaleesi across the Narrow Sea (new)

I just finished the Mistborn: The Final Empire trilogy and it was so good! I'm currently reading Wuthering Heights - my account has said I've been reading it since February so I might as well make good on that now :)

I'm looking for something else to read in the High Fantasy genre but haven't made a decision yet. Thinking about The Lies of Locke Lamora but not sure. Feel free to recommend anything you've enjoyed, I'm game for anything!

message 10: by Cas (new)

Cas Blomberg (casblomberg) Scott wrote: The problem is the main character is the weak part of the book (in my opinion). He seemed really quite stupid in numerous places, and tended to switch between being extremely timid and extremely brave and self-confident. Overall, I enjoyed the story though. Listening to the second one as an audiobook at the minute. :)

I haven't run across much timidity in the protagonist of the Night Angel books, other than the character's continual claim of wanting to leave behind his old life. But I do agree one hundred percent that character isn't Weeks's strongest point, at least in this trilogy and in my personal opinion. Which is interesting, because there are some minor characters that I love in this book and wish he'd devote more time to. It's as if the minor characters were more fun to write, and they feel more natural because of that. Did you get the same impression?

So, would you recommend the other series?

message 11: by Scott, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms (new)

Cas wrote: "Scott wrote: The problem is the main character is the weak part of the book (in my opinion). He seemed really quite stupid in numerous places, and tended to switch between being extremely timid and..."

I think so. I'm listening to the second one (book three is only due out in the autumn) and I am really enjoying it, though I don't feel quite as strongly against the main character. I do actually agree about the more minor characters being really quite interesting, so there may be something in what you're saying.

I liked the first book well enough (gave it 3 stars) but at the moment (~40% through book two), I think this one is a four star.

message 12: by Scott, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms (new)

Halfway through listening to The Blinding Knife, and about halfway through Romeo and Juliet.

message 13: by Ashley, Khaleesi across the Narrow Sea (new)

I'm working my way through Brandon Sanderson Cosmere books, Just finished Elantris, hoping to start Warbreaker soon!

message 14: by Emma (new)

Emma I've just started "Rhapsody" by Elizabeth Haydon and loving it. Amyone else read this?

message 15: by C. (last edited Jul 02, 2015 06:12AM) (new)

C. I just finished the first two YA books in the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer. Fun Reads!

Now I am reading Tick Tock by Dean Koontz.

message 16: by Marlon (new)

Marlon Bosch | 2 comments Hello everybody, Im currently Reading Brandon Sanderson´s The Way of Kings. So far so Good. It is entertaining but is not as engaging as The Name of the Wind or A Game of Thrones. Still very good.

message 17: by Marlon (new)

Marlon Bosch | 2 comments Ashley wrote: "I have to update this and say that i just started Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson and I'm not too far in but I already love it so far. I can't wait to see what is next, it comes highly recommended I ..."

Im Reading the way of Kings by Sanderson, but I cant wait to start with the Mistborn trilogy.

message 18: by Evan (new)

Evan Blackford | 1 comments Hello. It looks like things are pretty slow here. Is anyone still active?