What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Tony's Treasure Hunt
This topic is about Tony's Treasure Hunt
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. children's treasure hunt book with clues in pig latin [s]

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hawthorn (last edited May 06, 2014 07:02AM) (new) - added it

Hawthorn (hawthornfm) | 0 comments I have a single page from a kids book, and I'd love to know what book it's from. The page is a boy holding a message in his hand that reads "You have looked in trees and lifted up ocks-ray, your next secret clue is in a silver ox-bay."

The pig-latin words for rocks and box are underlined. All my searching for various combinations of "children's book, treasure hunt, pig-latin clues" seems to turn up nothing.

Any one read this? I'm intrigued and really want to know what's in that darned silver box.

Silver Box Mystery

message 2: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments Any idea if older book? Eg. Does it smell like an old Scholastic? Or does the paper seem more recent? Pity it doesn'thave title or author at the top like many do. Are there page numbers?

message 3: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments Does it appear to be a chapter book or picture book?

message 5: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments Mystery in the pirate oak
Author: Helen Fuller Orton; Robert Doremus
Publisher: Philadelphia : Lippincott, ©1949.
Edition/Format:  Book : Fiction : Juvenile audience : EnglishView all editions and formats
Database: WorldCat
Summary:
Chad and Ellie discover they are not alone in their search for a silver box with unknown contents, placed in the hollow of an oak tree sixty years earlier.

Also published by Scholastic.

message 6: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments I've no idea if it's that but hopefully there's some direction IH searching help...

message 7: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments *in

message 8: by Hawthorn (last edited May 06, 2014 07:11AM) (new) - added it

Hawthorn (hawthornfm) | 0 comments I only have a single page, and it was matted and framed when I bought it, so I can't tell about the smell of it. The Pirate Oak book sounds like a good fit, but when I look at the photos of the book cover, I don't think it matches. I think my book might be a picture book - I added a photo to see if helps.

message 9: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments Thanks for the picture. Looks interesting and yes a picture book. Guessing from illustration style from 1950s-70s maybe. But don't immediately recognize illustrator. Hmmm.

message 10: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments The case of the stolen code book
Author: Barbara Rinkoff; Leonard W Shortall
Publisher: New York : Crown, ©1971.
Edition/Format:  Book : Fiction : Juvenile audience : English
Database: WorldCat
Summary:
When he is not asked to join the Secret Agents Club, the new boy next door sets out to prove he would be a worthy member. Includes the codes of the Secret Agents' Club Code Book.

39 p.
code title, secret keyword, with that year range on worldcat.
Does remind me of Leonard Shortall's illustrations. Could that be it?

message 11: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments http://www.hartsfinebooks.com/pages/b...
Internal illustration here.
Check bookfinder.com abebooks.com eBay for copies.

message 12: by Hawthorn (new) - added it

Hawthorn (hawthornfm) | 0 comments That sounds promising... I purchased a copy to determine if it is. If not, well my nephew will have a fun book to read.

message 13: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments Let us know if or not. I'm curious. Hard to tell from the internal ill. whether it matches yours.

message 14: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 36916 comments Mod
Looks like Leonard Shortall illustrated a lot of the Encyclopedia Brown books. Could be one of those maybe.

message 15: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments Encyclopedia Brown series are chapter books, b&w ill.

message 16: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 36916 comments Mod
I don't think this is the book based on the color scheme, but a very similar book, with illustrations by Arnold Lobel:

http://www.vintagechildrensbooksmykid...

message 17: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments I've read The Secret Three. It does not match.

message 18: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments Is there anything on the other side of the page? About what size is the paper?

message 19: by Hawthorn (new) - added it

Hawthorn (hawthornfm) | 0 comments SparksofEmber wrote: "Is there anything on the other side of the page? About what size is the paper?"

Hard to tell, because the image was matted and framed. I can't take apart the mat; it's permanently mounted. The matted page fits into an 11 x 14 frame.

message 20: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4723 comments Steph, are you certain it's from a book? Could it be from a kids' magazine from the 60s, like Highlights?

message 21: by Hawthorn (new) - added it

Hawthorn (hawthornfm) | 0 comments Tab wrote: "Steph, are you certain it's from a book? Could it be from a kids' magazine from the 60s, like Highlights?"

Hmmm. I was assuming that it was, but it could be a magazine. I bought it from a vendor who had taken old children's books that were falling apart and separated and matted pages for framing. It appealed to me because of the treasure hunt aspect. I'm hoping that it is "The case of the stolen code book" that I purchased as mentioned in the thread. Won't know until it arrives.

message 22: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments I hate to say it, but it's not "The case of the stolen code book". I just read it over at OpenLibrary (click & register to read it) and that picture wasn't there.

message 23: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments Aw nuts.

message 24: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments Could try more searching later...

message 25: by SparksofEmber (last edited May 07, 2014 02:58PM) (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments Just for elimination, I checked and it is NOT Alvin's Secret Code (Secret Panel Mysteries) by Clifford B. Hicks (originally published 1963) or The Case of the Double Cross by Crosby Bonsall (1980) - the illustrations don't match at all.

message 26: by Hawthorn (new) - added it

Hawthorn (hawthornfm) | 0 comments Thank you for the winnowing out the possibilities. No worries on the book I bought I have nieces and nephew who will love it I'm sure. As soon as I get back to my laptop, I'll join the hunt.

message 27: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments I just found it! (I've never explored OpenLibrary in depth before - it is awesome!) It is Tony's Treasure Hunt - you can read it online, too! I know what's in the silver box! ;)

message 28: by Hawthorn (new) - added it

Hawthorn (hawthornfm) | 0 comments Sweet! Thanks for the help finding it! I'm super excited to know, and for the introduction to Open Library as well.

message 29: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments I didn't receive email about the solution though I visited this thread. That's excellent congratulations! Do you have to pay to use Open Library? I've only browsed the site when searching previously but didn't know everyone was eligible to use it, or are there restrictions?

message 30: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments Good to see it was a Scholastic after all, and the size matches and illustration style.

message 31: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments From what I see, it depends on the book. Not all books are available as ebooks to view right there.

message 32: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments It would be nice to read this book via OpenLibrary but apparently someone needs to "Return the book" so someone else can borrow the ebook.

message 33: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments I had forgotten to return it but gave it back 2 hours ago. There's apparently 3 people in line behind the current reader. Just be patient. Hopefully Steph has it as she was the original requester.

message 34: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments OK. Meanwhile I've read six picture books. Great site.