Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Sharp Objects
This topic is about Sharp Objects
Previous BOMs - Authors; E - H > Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (Adult Anything Goes BOM) Starts June 22, 2016

Comments (showing 1-50 of 84) (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25584 comments

This thread is to discuss Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. Be prepared for spoilers!

Synopsis:

WICKED above her hipbone, GIRL across her heart
Words are like a road map to reporter Camille Preaker’s troubled past. Fresh from a brief stay at a psych hospital, Camille’s first assignment from the second-rate daily paper where she works brings her reluctantly back to her hometown to cover the murders of two preteen girls.

NASTY on her kneecap, BABYDOLL on her leg
Since she left town eight years ago, Camille has hardly spoken to her neurotic, hypochondriac mother or to the half-sister she barely knows: a beautiful thirteen-year-old with an eerie grip on the town. Now, installed again in her family’s Victorian mansion, Camille is haunted by the childhood tragedy she has spent her whole life trying to cut from her memory.

HARMFUL on her wrist, WHORE on her ankle
As Camille works to uncover the truth about these violent crimes, she finds herself identifying with the young victims—a bit too strongly. Clues keep leading to dead ends, forcing Camille to unravel the psychological puzzle of her own past to get at the story. Dogged by her own demons, Camille will have to confront what happened to her years before if she wants to survive this homecoming.

With its taut, crafted writing, Sharp Objects is addictive, haunting, and unforgettable.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (last edited May 14, 2016 11:34AM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25584 comments What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. We have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (last edited Jun 24, 2016 03:19AM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25584 comments Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters PPQDs

22.Jun 1 - 3 Sonia
23.Jun 4 - 7 Imke
24.Jun 8 - 10 Lindsey
25.Jun 11 - 13 Marcelina
26.Jun 14 - END Poonam

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (last edited May 14, 2016 11:35AM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25584 comments Ruby Coin Book of the Month ~ Ruby Coin Ruby Coin

How to Earn:
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for half DQ participation
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for Writing Disscussion Questions
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for completing ALL days DQs within month of BOM start
Example of ways to Earn Ruby Coins: (view spoiler)

Learn about Gem coins here

Imke (immie75) | 1411 comments I'm in and volunteer to write discussion questions.

Angie ☯ | 510 comments I am planning to join this one as well!

message 7: by Sonia, Igor's Evil Twin (new) - added it

Sonia (darktalynn) | 7548 comments Lisbon book fair is currently open... so, getting this one is a great excuse to visit.

*Makes sure to take large bag so nobody guesses the amount of books bought*

Poonam | 172 comments Wohoo, I am excited that my nomination has been selected under this category. I have been wanting to read this from suchh a long time and this is the perfect opportunity.... Looking forward to all the discussions :))

Sheila (sheilalynn) | 203 comments I really like this author. She always makes me think. She creates very interesting characters. I've also been thinking a lot lately about how women are portrayed and how women generally don't have the same complicated lives in stories and if they do they are easily made unlikable, so I'm interested to see how Camille's character is portrayed and evolves.

Parvathy | 242 comments I am planning on joining for this one. Been a long time since I have done a group read :)

message 11: by PNJ (last edited Jun 02, 2016 08:30AM) (new) - added it

PNJ (EmergencyRN) | 90 comments May I join this one ??

message 12: by Sonia, Igor's Evil Twin (new) - added it

Sonia (darktalynn) | 7548 comments PNJ wrote: "May I join this one ??"

Sure. I'll PM you in a bit

Lindsey (Cadence64) | 159 comments I'd be up for writing some discussion questions for this one, if you still need people.

message 14: by Sonia, Igor's Evil Twin (last edited Jun 03, 2016 06:35AM) (new) - added it

Sonia (darktalynn) | 7548 comments Lindsey wrote: "I'd be up for writing some discussion questions for this one, if you still need people."

Sure, thanks.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I can also write DQs if needed. :) I really want to get back into the game of BoM here at this club soon.

message 16: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25584 comments Polls for the July BOMs are now available for voting :)

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/3...

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan (Susani90) | 1 comments I am looking forward to reading this book. Can't wait for the discussions in regards to everyone's opinion on how they liked it!

message 18: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (last edited Jun 17, 2016 01:09AM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25584 comments Breakdown using only chapter numbers posted.

For DQ volunteers, please let us know if the day works for you or if you prefer to change it.

Thanks.

Serena | 9 comments I would like to join this one! It looks like an interesting read.

Xeyra | 13 comments I'm joining this one too. Want to read something by this author and this is as good an opportunity as any.

Kay Kay | 1790 comments I will be popping in to answer the question to this one later as well. I really want to try to finish the inner child challenge, so I need to concentrate on that right now.

message 22: by Sonia, Igor's Evil Twin (new) - added it

Sonia (darktalynn) | 7548 comments Between Wobble and work I kinda forgot the BOM was starting today.

Bad Sonia! Bad Mod! Bad Dragon!

Worry not, I'm planning on reading it after dinner - Portugal is playing today for Euro - and will post questions later.

Poonam | 172 comments Do you need volunteer for last day DQ? If yes, count me in.

message 24: by Sonia, Igor's Evil Twin (new) - added it

Sonia (darktalynn) | 7548 comments Poonam wrote: "Do you need volunteer for last day DQ? If yes, count me in."

I forgot to update... I'm not sure if the volunteer is still up to it.... Do you want that particular day? I can give you today, if you want to.

message 25: by Sonia, Igor's Evil Twin (new) - added it

Sonia (darktalynn) | 7548 comments Questions and Comments Chapters 1 - 3

1. Is this your first Gillian Flynn book? What do you think of her writing style?

2. Camille sounds a bit crude. What do you think of that?

3. Where you expecting the girl on the searching party was Camille's sister? I thought it strange it took us so long to see her.

4. What about the folks in town? And the town description? Does it fit the small town idea you had?

5. From the synopsis I'm believing these murders are somehow connected to Camilla's sister dead.Do you agree? Shouldn't somebody said something if that's the case? The missing teeth is a very specific signature.

6. Do you think Amma will be a target? She's older than the murdered girls, but she also dresses young when she's at home.

7. Thoughts about the characters so far?

8. Any ideas what is next to come?

message 26: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25584 comments Poonam wrote: "Do you need volunteer for last day DQ? If yes, count me in."

Thanks! Updated :)

Sheila (sheilalynn) | 203 comments 1. Is this your first Gillian Flynn book? What do you think of her writing style?
No-one I've read both Gone Girl and Dark Places. I enjoy her writing style. I love how honest her characters feel. Not that the characters are honest, but that we have a window into their head. And that the characters are ring true to me. Which I suppose could sound really awful now that I think about it. But I work in mental health and see people struggling with these sorts of emotions. Like feeling worthy.

Camille feels raw to me. Like she doesn't value herself. I agree she is crude, but that doesn't bother me at all. Especially after meeting her mother. I'd rather have crude an honest than perfect and fake.

3. Where you expecting the girl on the searching party was Camille's sister? I thought it strange it took us so long to see her.
There is something odd going on with Amma. I don't know what yet, she she is definitely bizarre.

4. What about the folks in town? And the town description? Does it fit the small town idea you had?
It fits an idea of small towns.

5. From the synopsis I'm believing these murders are somehow connected to Camilla's sister dead.Do you agree? Shouldn't somebody said something if that's the case? The missing teeth is a very specific signature.
I think that if in both cases the victims teeth were removed someone would have mentioned it already. I do agree that the synopsis of the book makes it sounds like Camille's childhood will be relevant to the current cases. We will see!

6. Do you think Amma will be a target? She's older than the murdered girls, but she also dresses young when she's at home.
She might be. I'm nut sure what Amma's role will be in this novel. But she will certainly play a part. She is already causing me to pay extra attention to her.

The characters are interesting. The mom and Camille so fat are the most interesting to me. Also I want to know more about these murdered girls. After what the police officer said about them being mean.

No ideas yet, but I look forward to reading more.

Summer (paradisecity) 1. Is this your first Gillian Flynn book? What do you think of her writing style?
I read Gone Girl and hated it with a passion. I enjoyed the twists, but found the ending absolutely ridiculous. I wanted to give her another try, though.

I like her so far. However, even if her drinking is emblematic of a deeper problem, it's starting to wear a little thin.

It's strange that they have nearly no contact with each other. I'm looking forward to seeing how that plays out.

I'm both reading and listening to the audio version, and the narrator is working a serious southern accent for the townspeople. I had to pull up a map and double check the geography to see if that was authentic.

I'm torn about the distribution of wealth in town. It seems remarkable that Camille's family has so much money, and yet they have plenty of similarly wealthy friends. I don't know if that's Camille being an unreliable narrator (that seems an odd point to highlight that) or if it's just sloppy writing.

I assumed the murders were connected to the reason Camille left home, but I'm not sure how that'll connect to her sister's death. Has it been made clear how old her sister was when she died? I might've missed that detail.

We haven't seen much of Amma, but I'm finding her to be quite bratty. I won't be heartbroken if she dies.

This seems like fairly typical Flynn, with characters that are generally unlikable. I find it difficult to get through her books when there isn't a main character I feel connected to. At this point i feel the most affinity for the editor at Camille's paper.

I'd like to see more of Camille's stepfather and figure out his dynamic with her mother.

Poonam | 172 comments Sonia wrote: "Poonam wrote: "Do you need volunteer for last day DQ? If yes, count me in."

I forgot to update... I'm not sure if the volunteer is still up to it.... Do you want that particular day? I can give yo..."

Hey sorry had not checked GR (based in India and was already in bed by then)

Poonam | 172 comments Moderators of NBRC wrote: "Poonam wrote: "Do you need volunteer for last day DQ? If yes, count me in."

Thanks! Updated :)"

Cool :)

Serena | 9 comments 1. Is this your first Gillian Flynn book? What do you think of her writing style?
Yes! I'm finding her writing style to be simple but very engaging so far.

I think of Camille as a sad and broken person. She comes across as someone who avoids interaction with others but she doesn't seem to truly enjoy being alone. It seems odd to me that a person like Camille would have chosen journalism for her profession. There is obviously a lot of hurt in her past between her and her family.

I was surprised that the girl was her sister. I envisioned Amma as being much younger, but I suppose that is because Camille thought of her as younger than she actually was, as well. There is definitely something strange with Amma and how the mother almost seems to want them to be separated (the mother seemed concerned when Camille asks about Amma. )

It seems to be accurate for small town sensibilities.

So far I haven't seen much that implies that her sister's death is in anyway related to the murders. I would think that there would be a much more visceral reaction by Camille and a lot more interest in the case for her if there was some sort of connection. Right now, I'm just interested in learning how her sister died. Was it an accident? Was Camille somehow involved? What happened to Camille's father?

I think that Amma will be connected in some way to those girls. She definitely has a part to play in the story. She acts and speaks very oddly for a girl her age and seems to have a strange relationship with her mother.

The mother almost seems too one-dimensional. She is the stereotype of the avoidant, pretend-everything-is-happy-and-perfect-all-the-time, fakeness lady. It almost seems like these character traits have been taken too far.

I'm hoping that we will learn more about Camille's deceased sister and the circumstances of her death. Or just more about Camille's past. I think that there is bound to be another murder or kidnapping.

Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon (SapphiredDragon) | 858 comments Questions and Comments Chapters 1 - 3

1. Is this your first Gillian Flynn book? What do you think of her writing style?

This is my first Gillian Flynn book. I find the writing style interesting . It has certainly started to get me invested in the story and somewhat intrigued. it seems quite languid and segueish the way it runs from one thing to the next with a lot of things seeming unrelated for the moment but you wonder if perhaps they will be related at some point.

I think she puts on a façade. I thinks she tries to wear the character of jaded journalist so she doesn't need to reveal her true self probably connected to her past and the death of her sister

Not altogether surprised. I think the theme of sisters, both past and present, is going to play a major theme in this book and the fact it took us so long to see her speaks both about Camille herself and I think will play a part later on in the book

At this stage it does fit the small town idea I had. Every things seems mostly as you would expect it to be. All though given the small town thing, it seems strange that the police chief might have no idea who she is. Suggests that her parents really don't talk about her much or at all.

5. From the synopsis I'm believing these murders are somehow connected to Camilla's sister dead. Do you agree? Shouldn't somebody said something if that's the case? The missing teeth is a very specific signature.

I actually hadn't read the synopsis but from the sounds of the first few chapters and given the main characters history , it does suggest there is going to be some connection between the two but it may even be that the connection is Camille and how the present case forces her to deal with what happened to her and her sister though I am thinking there will also be some huge twist that will turn everything on its head :-P

I don't know - I think she is involved or connected somehow especially the whole thing about the way she dresses for Adora but I really don't know. I think there is a lot we don't know right now about everything. It would stand to reason that Amma may be a target towards the end kind of the lynch pin where somehow saving Amma when Camille couldn't save her other sister will be some sort of cathartic breakthrough

I think we have had quite a few characters introduced so far which makes me think that they will mostly all be important. Not sure what to make about Camille's mother or her husband yet

I think we will the murders accelerate and more of a glimpse in to Camille's past other than that I am not really sure

message 33: by Sonia, Igor's Evil Twin (new) - added it

Sonia (darktalynn) | 7548 comments Poonam wrote: "Sonia wrote: "Poonam wrote: "Do you need volunteer for last day DQ? If yes, count me in."

I forgot to update... I'm not sure if the volunteer is still up to it.... Do you want that particular day?..."

No problem... the other mods were attentive :)

Xeyra | 13 comments Questions and Comments Chapters 1-3

Yes, this is my first book by this author. So far the writing style isn't much different than other contemporary authors I've read. To be honest, it's pretty similar to the last thriller I read, by Paula Hawkins: it's not flowery, just factual and to the point. I confess I have drifted a bit while reading, but I can't say if it's because I'm not enjoying the writing style or just because I've been tired!

Well, she's a journalist, so I guess it's a personality trait that's required for her profession. She also seems to be battling some kind of alcoholism, because she does seem to drink a lot more than necessary.

I actually thought she would be younger, from descriptions. And it's rather surprising that she doesn't recognize her half-sister. I understand Camille hasn't gone to her hometown in quite a while but it makes me want to see what exactly alienated Camille from her family.

Yeah, tight, close mouthed and not keen on strangers (especially journalists) coming to sniff around their mysery.

5. From the synopsis I'm believing these murders are somehow connected to Camilla's sister dead. Do you agree? Shouldn't somebody said something if that's the case? The missing teeth is a very specific signature.
I honestly have no idea. I would say no, though it's not a firm no, especially because Camille's sister murder seems to have taken place quite a long time ago and there's been no mention of the signature teeth removal in that death. I need a bit more information on this. I want to know how her sister died and if that is what made Camille drift away from her mother.

Yes, I do believe that she will probably either be a target or somehow involved in this. Otherwise we wouldn't have needed to have a 13-year old sister in the story. But maybe I'm just going by what's expected.

I think Camille's mother is projecting onto Amma her memories of her dead daughter, because there's something strange about how protective she is of Amma and how she dresses when in presence of her mother. Camille is a bit of a mystery in that she doesn't seem to feel much - she reads like she's a bit disconnected, dry and matter-of-fact in her POV. I do wonder, after having read Paula Hawkin's The Girl on the Train, if it's the genre tropes that dictate that the main POVs have to be sort of unrelateable? Or if this is typical of Flynn in particular (I haven't read her other books).

Hopefully some more clues about all the mysteries, either the children's murders or Camille's past.

message 35: by Imke (new) - rated it 3 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1411 comments Questions and Comments Chapters 1 – 3

No, I’ve read Gone Girl and Dark Places (both previous BOM’s). I like her style, although I found Dark Places a little too much and too graphic for my taste. I loved Gone Girl even though I saw the plot pretty soon.

I like her actually. Yes she is crude, but I think it is mainly to hide her insecurity and she is very hard on herself. She doesn’t trust her own abilities in writing pieces for the newspaper and I think she just doesn’t feel like she belongs.

Yes it was the first thing that came to mind when Camille thought that she looked familiar.

Not sure about the people in the town, they seem the typical characters you come across in small town tales. The same for the description of the town and it does fit with my expectations so far.

From the synopsis yes, but from what I’ve read so far no. We don’t have any idea what has happened to Camille’s sister and how she died. I think if there was a direct link between Camille’s sisters death and the murders of the two girls someone would have said something especially with those missing teeth. But the death of Camille’s sister can have an indirect link in that someone Camille knows has been affected by that death in such a way that he/she has started killing little girls.

I think she may be, there seems to be something wrong with her. And she is not that much older, I think she is 13. The dead girls were 9 and 10.

No, I don’t like Camille’s mother much and her stepfather seems a little strange. The police force doesn’t seem very active in pursuing the killer.

Nope

Poonam | 172 comments Questions and Comments Chapters 1 - 3

This is my first read by Gillian Flynn and I am liking her writing style till now. It is fast paced and perfect for my current mood.

I actually found Camille strange. The reaction her 12 yr old had to the things she saw in the hunters shed, Definitely not normal.
Also somehow she is seeing a lot of negative in everybody and it maybe due to something that has happened in her past. For now, I do not like her much as the main protagonist.

There was specific focus on her near the search party and then again outside the church. Made me feel she has a role to play as she is not someone in passing and will have a more important bit. It crossed my mind then that she maybe the step-sister.

Till now I have a good feeling about all the town folks and the protective feeling they have for the town. Everyone knows everyone else. I also liked how the search party was organized. It does fit my small town idea.

I actually did not feel there is any connection. We still do not know what exactly happened to Camilla's sister so I am not sure we can draw any conclusion here.

The present situation is making everyone in the town feel unsafe. The 2 murders that have taken place have been a year apart so there is nothing to say that anything will again happen immediately. My first thought when Amma was introduced was to assume that this is to draw out the personal conflicts on Camille's end and maybe draw some sort of parallel between her step-sister and her dead sister.

I do not like Camille, her step-sister or her mother. I do like the Police chief though.

A chase for a killer (who maybe someone from the small town)

Poonam | 172 comments @Xeyra : I really like what you have written for Q7. Even I felt Camille's mom is projecting on Amma all the feelings she has of her dead daughter. I also agree on the narration being same as Girl on the Train.

@Imke: I like your explanation of Q5.

message 38: by Sonia, Igor's Evil Twin (new) - added it

Sonia (darktalynn) | 7548 comments Poonam wrote: "@Xeyra : I really like what you have written for Q7. Even I felt Camille's mom is projecting on Amma all the feelings she has of her dead daughter. I also agree on the narration being same as Girl ..."

I agree with both :)

message 39: by Sonia, Igor's Evil Twin (new) - added it

Sonia (darktalynn) | 7548 comments I started both Gone Girl and Dark Places. never finished them although I did got sucked in the story - it was RL that forced me to stop.

Now I'm determined to do not let the same happen to this one.

Specially because it was recommended to me a long time ago as it being better than the hyped gone girl.

So...we'll see

message 40: by Sonia, Igor's Evil Twin (new) - added it

Sonia (darktalynn) | 7548 comments I think, in answer to who asked, that Camille's sister died around 7. Because she was talking about her photograph, where she was 13 and was holding her and she was 7.

And later on, she talked about her memories of the funeral when she was 13. So. Maybe it was a little after that picture was taken?

If they were so young, maybe Adora blames her eldest? I'm not sure. But I'm curious to know.

message 41: by Xeyra (last edited Jun 23, 2016 07:44AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Xeyra | 13 comments Poonam wrote: "@Xeyra : I really like what you have written for Q7. Even I felt Camille's mom is projecting on Amma all the feelings she has of her dead daughter. I also agree on the narration being same as Girl ..."

This probably relates a lot to how late Amma was born and how old Adora was by then -- and probably with the disconnect she must have had with Camille at that point. Amma must have seemed like a bit of a miracle baby coming this late in Adora's life... to 'replace' her lost child? We shall see as we go along how far, psychologically, this goes for all parties.

Poonam | 172 comments Xeyra wrote: "Poonam wrote: "@Xeyra : I really like what you have written for Q7. Even I felt Camille's mom is projecting on Amma all the feelings she has of her dead daughter. I also agree on the narration bein..."

Yes very true. The protectivness and the image the mother projected made us feel Amma is younger than 13 yrs because as you said she is literally treating Amma as the dead child who died at a much younger age

message 43: by Caroline (last edited Jun 23, 2016 08:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Caroline (carolinet12) | 240 comments 1. Is this your first Gillian Flynn book? What do you think of her writing style?
Yes it is and I very much like her writing style. It is very fluid and the story has a quick rythm. I read the 3 chapters so quickly I had to stop to write those lines !!

She seems to have a lot of frustration and deception in her past. I think this is why she always see everything with a crude negativity. I also think that the fact that she drink a lot doesn't help her go through the negativity.

I didn't see it coming at all ! I thought she would recognize her even if it was a very long time since she saw her. This speaks a lot about her relation with her family...

Everyone knows everyone and you can't do anything without it being notice by the whole town. This is indeed the idea that we have of small towns. I think there will be lot of revelation about town secrets in this book also.

I really think Camille and her mother will have to speak of her sister's death sometime during the investigations as it seems to be connected to me. Maybe the missing teeth are an evolution of the killer signature ?

I haven't think about this, but maybe one of her friends will?

I really like Camille's boldness and the fact that she does'nt fit in this small town world. She is a strong caracter and does'nt stick to standard ! Also, I kind of like her mother. She seems like she has a lot of hidden feelings and she don't like to show how she really feels, I hope that by the end of the book she will begin to open to Camille

I think there will be another murder with more clues and they will continue the investigation. Also, I think that Camille and her family will be more involved, as there will be question about her sister's death.

Sheila (sheilalynn) | 203 comments @xerya I don't know if it is genre specific, but Gillian Flynn certainly doesn't worry about having likable characters which I find refreshing.

Nameeta | 28 comments 1. Is this your first Gillian Flynn book? What do you think of her writing style?
This is my first time reading one of her novels. I have watched Gone Girl though
I did not really pick up on her being crude but at the age of 12 she did not seem to have a problem with what she saw in the garage. In fact it turned her on which I found very strange.

I sort of guessed it was her in the beginning. There was to much focus on her at the forest and then when she popped up at the church I was quite sure.
Yes it pretty much does. Protect your own and the town instincts.
Not sure if there's a connection. Waiting to find out. It is possible though that this her sister's death will play a part in how Camilla investigates this case.
Hmmm. Not sure if this is going to happen. In case Camilla gets close to the killer maybe the killer may use Amma.
Everybody has their issues. Camilla, her mom, her step-sister, even the towns people.
Not really. But looking forward to hearing about the dead sister and more insights into the case

message 46: by Imke (new) - rated it 3 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1411 comments Discussion Questions 23 June chapters 4-7

9. Do you think James is telling the truth about the lady in the nightgown who took Natalie from the woods? If he is telling the truth, why would the police not investigate?

10. What is with Camille writing things on her arm? First the names of the missing/murdered girls and “dick” when talking with detective Willis. Why would she do that? I wonder what happened to her to make her do that, not just the cutting, but the words she cuts/writes into her skin.

11. Wow that family is so strange. They treat Amma like she is a toddler rather than a 13 year old. What do you think of this family? Do you think Amma’s behavior makes her a target for the killer? The murdered girls showed bad behavior before they were taken.

12. Do you like Richard Willis? Do you think Camille and Richard partnering up is a good idea?

13. I like Curry and his wife Eileen. In a way they seem like surrogate parents for Camille. Do you think Curry has made a mistake sending Camille to Wind Gap? It seems to me this assignment is only going to get her hurt.

14. Who do you think is the killer, Bob Nash, Ann’s father, or John Keene, Natalie’s brother? Or neither of them?

15. We find out a lot about Camille’s mother Adora. I can understand now why Camille has so many problems that is one strange woman. What do think of her? Do you think she could be involved with the deaths of those girls?

16. That last part of chapter 7 was just disturbing, just like Amma watching. What did you think?

Summer (paradisecity) 9. Do you think James is telling the truth about the lady in the nightgown who took Natalie from the woods? If he is telling the truth, why would the police not investigate?
I think there's a bit of truth in there. And I'm liking the city cop for now. He seems to have good instincts about how to handle a murder in a small town.

10. What is with Camille writing things on her arm? First the names of the missing/murdered girls and “dick” when talking with detective Willis. Why would she do that? I wonder what happened to her to make her do that, not just the cutting, but the words she cuts/writes into her skin.
This is the thing that really bothers me about Flynn's writing: She tries to make these psychological touchstones the basis for her writing, but she doesn't really understand what she's writing about. The way she's presented Camille's cutting and treatment is quite atypical and reads like plot points necessary for the story rather than plot points that are researched and authentic. Flynn made similar errors in Gone Girl and having seen it twice, I'll likely be giving any of her future work a hard pass. (NB: I work in mental healthcare and see my fair share of people who self-injure.)

11. Wow that family is so strange. They treat Amma like she is a toddler rather than a 13 year old. What do you think of this family? Do you think Amma’s behavior makes her a target for the killer? The murdered girls showed bad behavior before they were taken.
I'm not sure if this is purposeful or sloppy writing, but I'm having a hard time connecting toddler-acting Amma with teenage bitch-acting Amma.

12. Do you like Richard Willis? Do you think Camille and Richard partnering up is a good idea?
More Richard! I think he's sharp enough to investigate properly and to catch on to the fact that Camille is squirrely and not to be trusted.

13. I like Curry and his wife Eileen. In a way they seem like surrogate parents for Camille. Do you think Curry has made a mistake sending Camille to Wind Gap? It seems to me this assignment is only going to get her hurt.
I don't think he made a mistake in sending her, as she wasn't all that upfront about how fragile her mental health is. But when she described it as dangerous for her, I think he definitely should've called her back. At this point he's sacrificing her for the story, and I liked him and hoped he wouldn't do that.

14. Who do you think is the killer, Bob Nash, Ann’s father, or John Keene, Natalie’s brother? Or neither of them?
My guess is that it's someone we haven't met yet, but I'm terrible at guessing these things. Right now I'm a little suspicious of Adora and her husband.

15. We find out a lot about Camille’s mother Adora. I can understand now why Camille has so many problems that is one strange woman. What do think of her? Do you think she could be involved with the deaths of those girls?
Camille's such an unreliable narrator that it's hard to get a fix on why Adora is so odd.

16. That last part of chapter 7 was just disturbing, just like Amma watching. What did you think?
That bit made me wonder whether Amma has been molested by her father.

Serena | 9 comments 9. Do you think James is telling the truth about the lady in the nightgown who took Natalie from the woods? If he is telling the truth, why would the police not investigate?
I get the feeling that he's telling the truth. He may have embellished some of the details (eyewitness accounts are notoriously unreliable). But, he's clearly been shaken by something he's seen. He is very fearful. It seems that in Wind Gap, most people don't pay much attention to the poor and disenfranchised people. They have very little voice and are looked down upon. The way they treat James is just an extension of these peoples' worldview.

I agree with what Esse wrote above...Flynn doesn't really know much about people who self injure. The writing is just a way to make the character different and unique from others and to drive the story. The words also give us some insight into her anxieties.

The family is very odd. They like to pretend that everything is perfect when it is so obviously not. I think Amma is a product of this...she's never allowed to be less than perfect at home, so she swings all the way to the other side of the pendulum when she's away from her parents. Amma's behavior makes her a target for the ire of almost the entire town, it wouldn't be much of a stretch for that to extend to a murderer.

I think Camille partnering with Richard is a good move for advancing her research for her story. But honestly, I feel like Richard is a little too forward and slightly skeezy.

Considering her rapidly deteriorating state of mind throughout the first part of the the book, I think it was probably not the best choice to send her to stay with her mother. To be fair though, he didn't seem to know how bad her relationship was with her family. In real life, people with good parent/child relationships tend to think that when there's familial strife that people just need to get together to talk and work it out and it will all be fine. They don't understand that sometimes, families are broken and confrontation isn't the best thing. I see Curry as one of those overly optimistic people.

I think that these are all people that the author wants you to believe killed them. I keep getting a weird feeling about Camille's step-father. He keeps getting mentioned as being around but he's so unassuming and uninvolved. I think he's going to be a part of something much bigger before the end of the book.

As I read on, Adora becomes just more and more weird. And completely self-centered. The thing with biting the baby was just odd and frightening. If someone can bite a baby hard enough to make it cry, I think they could have the personality to murder children.

It was very disturbing. Amma is a very messed up and broken little girl. She is dealing with some pretty big issues for someone her age.

Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon (SapphiredDragon) | 858 comments Discussion Questions 23 June chapters 4-7

9. Do you think James is telling the truth about the lady in the nightgown who took Natalie from the woods? If he is telling the truth, why would the police not investigate?

I think James is telling the truth but maybe not the whole truth. I had a crazy theory that maybe Camille's mother has a hand in it in some twisted things to do with both her dead daughter and Amma. So maybe James could actually identify the person, or the police can and the conclusion they came up with was too ridiculous to believe so its been dismissed

Its obviously some sort of mental illness/ocd thing whcich isn't surprising given Camille's mother and the fact she apparently pulls out her eyelashes

I think all the kids we have seen before have acted younger thn they actually are - Ann's two sisters are apparently older then her meaning they must be at least 11 or 12 but they were also acting like children who are much younger as well. I think Amma has gotten used to being babied and plays it up to get the attention she feels she deserves. If I go b y my crazy theory that that the m,other is involved with the killings then no I think these girls have probably fallen foul of Amma some way which is why they were targeted

I think Camille needs to partner up with Richard if she is going to get any information on the case it. Though the line between business/pleasure/manipulation seems lie it could become a little blurred which maybe not such a good thing

Curry seems to have a whole lot more information about Camille and her history than we do sop it may be he is also trying to get Camille to reconnect with her family. Given what I have seen of them so far not entirely sure that is such a good idea

Well I have already mentioned my crazy theory about the killer being the mother. It might also be that Amma has done something to them and she is protecting Amma by stopping them from telling on her/. Maybe I am over thnking but Bob Nash or John Nash just seem too easy

as above :-)

I think there is something very wrong with the whole family but does that make any of them capable of killing, I guess we will see

Poonam | 172 comments Discussion Questions 23 June chapters 4-7

I think James is definitely telling the truth about seeing a lady making a grab for Natalie. But I also feel the description he has given may not be accurate and he may have added his childish imagination to it.

As we know Camille has a habit of cutting but she has substituted this with writing on the hand instead. I think this has something to do with how she was treated by her mother- or maybe as her mother is imbalanced this has led to unhealthy behavior for Camille.

Their mother is surely strange and treating a 13 year old as a toddler is either over-protective behavior or a little mad behavior. Amma is strange in herself, behaving like a small child in front of her parents and very crude grown-up outside. She is never like a normal 13 yr old in any way. If the murders are happening because of the girls behavior then yes Amma is a target but personally i don't think that was the reason for the girls to be targeted.
Also, there is a major difference between the dead girls and Amma, the dead girls were not popular whereas Amma looks like a Queen bee.

I like Richard and when they partnered up, I really felt like the book is going in an interesting and good direction.

Yes, Curry at first I thought was the typical head of a newspaper but now I do feel he cares for Camille. I don't think he had any negative intentions toward sending Camille to Wind Gap and it may actually be good for her to face her demons.

Ann's father is not normal but I don't think he is a killer. We do not have enough insight into John Keene to predict anything. But I feel that killer maybe someone unexpected.

I think Adora is weird and her behavior may have been a main trigger to Camille's issues. I also felt she maybe involved in the deaths of those girls (She was close to both the girls, she is weird and lost a child, she maybe a bit mad and actually killing these girls for some strange reason)

Very very weird. Amma is a sadist and she get's off on pain.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Sharp Objects (other topics)