Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > Query about adding a new book

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janet (new)

Janet | 240 comments This is just a query to ensure I used the correct procedure in case this happens again.

This morning I submitted a request to add a new book - I copied the url from Amazon.co.uk and it says 'check the import page to check the progress of your imports' - but now I see I could have manually added the book.

Would this have been a quicker/better/easier option than importing where (presumably) the book has to be approved, or is it better to import from Amazon? :)

message 2: by Empress (last edited May 06, 2014 04:33AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Importing books adds them to your shelves, if the book doesn't exist on the database edition will be created (and added to your shelves). When importing books from URL they need to include ISBN/ASIN.

The main goal of importing books although adding new editions is to allow users to add books to their shelves in big batches. The more books you are importing the longer it is going to take for them to appear in the database.

If you wish a book to be added in the database you can either do it manually or request a librarian to do it (we will also combine). If you can't find a book help page.

Please when adding editions make sure yours doesn't already exist in the database. Do a search by ASIN/ISBN. If the edition that has that ASIN/ISBN is not yours please look at "all editions". As only one edition can carry asin/isbn you may need to find your edition by page numbers/publisher/published date etc (there are filters in all editions). If you don't see it, not all editions are combined. Maybe do a title/author search. If you are sure it is not on the database please proceed to adding it or requesting we add it.

As you are not a librarian you will need to request the new edition that you've added to be combined, this is a manual process since. Please post any editions for combining in this group.

Feel free to start a new topic for every book/issue you find on the database.

We do not approve books for adding. If an edition of a book is not on the system - we add it.

If your import didn't result in any new editions or books on your shelves you may wish to report in the Feedback group - you can ask questions there about the way GR works, give suggestions or report bugs.

message 3: by Janet (new)

Janet | 240 comments Thanks. I think I've understood correctly so I will start a thread to request the book is added, as the import hasn't made the book appear on my shelf and the book is not on the database (I've searched by ISBN).

Thanks. :)

message 4: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments As far as I am aware, the "import" function does not work for individual reader imports. It is there for large dataset imports, like small publishers, libraries, etc.

The easiest way to deal with adding a book is to search under it's ISBN or ASIN, and then if not found, click on the "Add book" link that is automatically shown. You can then fill in the boxes, and save it. If you're concerned it's wrong, feel free to post here and we can advise you :)

message 5: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) Emy wrote: "As far as I am aware, the "import" function does not work for individual reader imports. It is there for large dataset imports, like small publishers, libraries, etc."

I didn't even know that that option existed until today. Is that what the staff uses when we see the scripts in the log, or it is a different process?

message 6: by Ken (new)

Ken (kenmacgregor) | 6 comments Hi. I need to add a book to my author listing. If this is the wrong place do that, I apologize. My story collection, An Aberrant Mind published this past Sunday. Here is the ISBN: 978-0615995687.

Thank you for your time.
Ken MacGregor

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42415 comments Mod
Emy wrote: "As far as I am aware, the "import" function does not work for individual reader imports. It is there for large dataset imports, like small publishers, libraries, etc."

Two different things are being conflated here (and not just in this post).

Individual users can use the import feature (see here, bottom half of page), in much the same way as importing a CSV file, but to import from a website. It will add books to the user's shelves, NOT to the database. Books not already in the database will be skipped in that sort of import.

Adding books from publishers, etc., while we also refer to it an an import (so I see why people get the two confused) is an entirely different process.

message 8: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments re 6, i've added your book here:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2... (paperback)
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2... (kindle)

This was an OK place to post your request, but you would probably have gotten a faster response by creating a new thread instead, just FYI. :)

Just a Girl Fighting Censorship (justagirlfightingcensorship) couldn't find this on here, wondering if I just can't find it or if it isn't on here....

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42415 comments Mod
Re 9: Goodreads does not generally consider individual comics books as books.